Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1485 1486 [1487] 1488 1489 ... 1850

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 943138 times)

elephant

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #22290 on: January 13, 2022, 10:11:12 PM »

I believe he's suggesting you check for a personal message.

chipstern

• View Profile
Looking To Move Him
« Reply #22291 on: January 13, 2022, 10:30:31 PM »

Atlanta has been looking to move him. They were just waiting for a team to meet their price. The Knicks were the first team that did.

https://theathletic.com/3069571/2022/01/13/cam-reddish-traded-how-hell-fit-with-knicks-why-the-hawks-gave-up-on-him-right-now-and-more/?source=nbatw

Not jumping up and down over this one. Had tons of minutes in Atlanta and hasn't developed much. Doesn't bother me much though unless he eats into too many Grimes minutes.

Not exactly tons of minutes. 

Rookie Season: 26.7 [Hunter 32]

Second Season: 28.8 [Hunter 29.5]

2021-22: 23.4  [Hunter 27.6]

Cam has indeed been up and down throughout college and the pros. 

But he is a genuine 6'8" with a 7'1" wing span. 

In Game 6 against Milwaukee in the EC Finals, with Trae badly nicked up, coming back from injuries, he notched 6-7 threes, leading Atlanta with 21 points.  And I remember the commentators citing him for his defense. 

His minutes have been up and down all season with the Hawks. 

Worth noting though, in a loss to Chicago back on 12-29, when he got 40 minutes, he was 8-13 from three for 33 points with 4 boards and 2 steals. 

So there is a well spring of talent. 

Again, as per where his minutes derive from. 

With the second unit, and as part of Thib's fourth quarter, who wants to be on the floor scrum.

Robinson-Randle-Fournier-Barrett-Burks
Noel-Toppin-Reddish-Grimes-IQ

Thibs likes to let his first and second units detonate against each other in practice. 

OBVIOUSLY, when Walker comes back, that will have a ripple effect, as Burks likely returns to the second unit, and that means Reddish and Grimes will be jousting for minutes. 

MORE OBVIOUSLY, when Rose comes back, more shuffling and adjustments. 

LESS OBVIOUSLY, Thibs gets to mix and match to his heart's content.  Not surprisingly, one suspects we will see Barrett and Reddish together on the floor at times, and both may be counted on to push Fournier and Burks. 

Clearly, Thibs has his faves and his tendencies...

We've had two months of injuries and chemistry issues, followed up by the COVID protocols. 

Getting back Noel IS SIGNIFICANT, not simply for the defensive presence that was so pivotal to our post-Rose ascent in 2020-2021, but because it allows Robinson to go ful bore, confident that Noel will carry the ball while Mitchell recharges.

Last night Robinson and Noel each registered 1 steal and 2 blocks.  Robbie played 26 minutes, Noel 21, combining for 23 points and 16 rebounds

The Dallas game was the most coherent and engaged the starting five has been with each other. 

And the presence of Robinson and Noel was a significant contributing factor. 

The fact that our first game following the Reddish-Knox swap is Saturday, on the road, against Atlanta, well, that is simply delicious. 

As much as the Hawks have been struggling, you think Trae will be fired up to see us. 

WORD. 

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22292 on: January 14, 2022, 01:07:17 AM »

As far as rotations, steel sharpens steel. Let the competition continue.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #22293 on: January 14, 2022, 01:37:24 AM »

As far as rotations, steel sharpens steel. Let the competition continue.

Right on. 

Reddish is 22 with great size, length, physical attrributes and a world of talent.  He can put the ball on the floor and flat out shoot.  He has been injury prone and plagued by inconsistency. Some of the barbs tossed his way concern his motor and his motivation.  Sound familiar. 

Even so, the Hawks were moved to draft him at #10 ahead of Cam Johnson, P.J. Washington, Tyler Herro, Luka Saminic, Mattise Thybulle, Jordan Poole, Kevin Porter, Nic Claxton and Cody Martin. 

At 6'8" with a 7'1" wingspan, he has a chance to be a classic Starbucks Vente 3&D. 

And speaking of steel?  RJ Barrett, Evan Fournier and Alec Burks are waiting on your ass, young talent. 

I am REALLY looking forward to seeing him and Obi and Grimes manning up with IQ. 

PS: Atlanta has been trying to move Cam for a long time.  He wanted out of Atlanta.  A lot of teams were interested.  The Lakers offered two, count 'em, TWO #2 picks.  The Hawks held out for a #1, hoping for something commensurate with the #10 spot where they picked him, the year we picked RJ at #3.  The Hawks asked for Quentin Grimes.  The Knicks demurred.  The provisional #1 started out as the #19 pick in 2021, protected through #18.  Charlotte has been playing really well.  Hayward is healthy, Miles Bridges has improved dramatically every year since we selected Knox ahead of him, Lonzo Ball is a stud muffin at PG, and Terry Rozier has been racking up points.  Now it looks like the Charlotte Hornets could be seeded anywhere from 19-25.  In the end, the Knicks were the only team offering a #1.  As someone mentioned, Reddish is a lot more delectable than anyone selected between 19, 21 and 25 where we nailed Grimes.  [Right now Grimes, Thomas and Hyland are looking more interesting than many players picked before them, though I really like Alperin Senguin, the 19 year old Turkis center selected by OKC and routed to Houston]. 

PPS: Somebody slap me in the kisser for being so unduly giddy over a 22 year old underachiever.  But we got him for a song, RJ is his homie, he's going to get a chance to compete, and if he gives us some Obi moments while he is coming of age, FUCK ME, the Garden will be chanting Cam-er-on RedDish, clap/clap [space] clap/clap, as images of sugar plum babies and contract extensions in 2023 dance in his head...at about the same time as RJ's.     

PPPS: WE shall SEE. 

chipstern

• View Profile
PPPPS
« Reply #22294 on: January 14, 2022, 01:40:18 AM »

Considering we made a deal with Atlanta for Charlotte's provisional #1?

Damn interesting that those are our next two opponents. 

REALITY CHECK. 

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #22295 on: January 14, 2022, 01:46:21 AM »

IIRC, that year's draft class voted Reddish likely to have the best career.
Still has to put it together, but a significant talent.
This Covid year it's a good idea to have extra players ready to go.  Depth is a blessing.
And we'll figure out the fit later.

Reddish is in that super-inconsistent phase of yute.
What RJB is trying to shed. 
The season is a long grind ... lot of games and travel and distractions.
Being physically and mentally up every night isn't so easy.

I'd be up for RedCam getting 10 mins from Burks, another 5 to keep RJB's workload down, and another 5 from FourEva.  The extra athleticism will be welcome.  RedCam a project but with AS potential.  I'm surprised ATL sold so low.  Does anyone think Knox is going to be useful for the Hawks?  Not impossible, but more likely to take a few years for KK to develop his confoidence, game and figure out an NBA role.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

chipstern

• View Profile
The Era Of Hard Knox
« Reply #22296 on: January 14, 2022, 02:03:58 AM »

IIRC, that year's draft class voted Reddish likely to have the best career.
Still has to put it together, but a significant talent.
This Covid year it's a good idea to have extra players ready to go.  Depth is a blessing.
And we'll figure out the fit later.

Reddish is in that super-inconsistent phase of yute.
What RJB is trying to shed. 
The season is a long grind ... lot of games and travel and distractions.
Being physically and mentally up every night isn't so easy.

I'd be up for RedCam getting 10 mins from Burks, another 5 to keep RJB's workload down, and another 5 from FourEva.  The extra athleticism will be welcome.  RedCam a project but with AS potential.  I'm surprised ATL sold so low.  Does anyone think Knox is going to be useful for the Hawks?  Not impossible, but more likely to take a few years for KK to develop his confoidence, game and figure out an NBA role.

They had a log jam at SF/SG, luxury tax issues beckoning, and Reddish WANTED OUT.  They've been holding out for several months until someone was ready to pony up a #1.  No one did.
The Hawks took a flier on Grimes ["Hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained..."], but when the Knicks said NO WAY, and dangled that #1 pick, Knox seemed good enough.  Getting a role player who would be thrilled to get a steady 15 minutes a night, for an ambitious talent tired of being the fourth man in a three man rotation. 

I think, given Hunter's predilection for getting banged up, Knox has a shot at regular minutes.  Not gaudy, but regular.  Get to your spot and knock down the kick out.  Kevin can do THAT.  Defense?  Well, the Hawks defense has been really shitty this season, so they're trying to work out some kinks. 

I thought of your Reddish + Gallinari = Ben Simmons projection from earlier this season.  Apparently Morey is trying to tie Tobias Harris' contract to a Simmons deal. Kind of lofty ambitions, that fellow. 

PS: Reddish will be challenged by Thibs and RJ.  RJ is a worker bee, still working on HIS OWN INCONSISTENCIES, when every now and then he has a coming out party like that masterpiece against the Mavs, where he not only excelled, but made everyone else better. 

PPS: Check out this YouTube Video of "Cam Reddish Atlanta Rookie Lockdown Defender Steals Compilation"  You've been panting for an athletic 3&D, and at 6'8" with a jumper, well, the thought of Reddish & Grimes out there together, a couple of Defensive Devil Dawgs, makes me unduly giddy.  I'm sorry.  Once a Positive Pussy....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1BEmPAkBEM

PPPS: It sure feels like the Knicks have got another deal or two on ice, though for the life of me, I cannot discern what it might be.  Not sure we pull the trigger, but this trade was a resourceful use of draft assets [from the Porzingis Trade] and a former #1 who was going nowhere with Thibs.  Just like last year, at the exact same juncture in the team's evolution, when the snakebit Dennis The Lack Of Menace was granted asylum for Derrick Rose, and it positively turned the season around and sent us careening towards the playoffs. 

We shall see, in any event.    

PPPPS: The PG from Villinova we signed to a 10-Day with a sprained ankle.  GONE. 

PPPPPS: You've got to hand it to Leon Rose & His Gang Of Merry Men. Coming off of a 7-3 run to 21-21, and a signature game in which THIBS' D was manifest, RJ excelled, the team was coherent [and we dominated on our home court], A TRADE, a signficant trade, one might even say A ONE SIDED TRADE for a young 3&D, certainly got the faithful and those on a fence hopeful, that the season might just be starting. 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 02:26:35 AM by chipstern »

lesterluv

• Burgers are tasty, but I love steak!
    • View Profile
if ya didn't get it already...
« Reply #22297 on: January 14, 2022, 09:30:23 AM »

Les, my doggie, The Athletic site is blocked for non-subscribers.

Maybe you can copy/paste some of the article?

...The Hawks have made Reddish widely available since before this past draft cycle. The price then was a first-round pick, and it never changed.

Atlanta was looking for something closer to the slot where it drafted him, No. 10 overall, but nothing materialized. The front office had conversations with the Pacers, Lakers, Cavaliers and Pistons over the past several months, sources say, but the Hawks were always waiting for that first-round pick for Reddish.

Recently, The Athletic learned that the Lakers had offered two second-rounders for Reddish. Still, the Hawks believed a team would eventually offer the first-round pick they sought. They asked for Knicks rookie Quentin Grimes, the No. 25 selection during this past summer
*** Mike Byrd said, Would that be Ashli, Ashley or Ashlee? Can never be sure with you white trash types." BAM!***

lesterluv

• View Profile
« Reply #22298 on: January 14, 2022, 09:31:48 AM »

..draft, during negotiations, but the Knicks turned them down, sources said.

As far as if the price is fair, we are talking about a top-18 protected pick for someone who has only tantalized with his talent over his first two and a half pro seasons. Reddish, 22, flashes nodes of stardom because of how smooth he looks, then goes through stretches where he is unplayable.

He owned, by far, the worst plus-minus of any player in the Hawks rotation this season. His defense declined, and some wondered if he fully bought into his role in Atlanta, where he came off the bench and was mostly a spot-up shooter.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 09:33:56 AM by lesterluv »
*** Mike Byrd said, Would that be Ashli, Ashley or Ashlee? Can never be sure with you white trash types." BAM!***

lesterluv

• View Profile
« Reply #22299 on: January 14, 2022, 09:35:20 AM »

There was a sentiment from some inside the Hawks last season that replacing former head coach Lloyd Pierce, along with Reddishs unavailability due to an Achilles injury, were keys to the teams turnaround, which ended in an Eastern Conference finals berth.

If Reddish ends up turning into the player he has shown he can be, it is ultimately not much of a return for the Hawks. If he continues to be inconsistent on both ends of the floor, getting a first-round pick is a worthwhile return for Atlanta general manager Travis Schlenk.

It all depends on the growth of Reddish.

(and that is about all I can do in respect to copyright law and the need to remove apostrophes which seem to trigger the Elba post truncate function)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 09:37:12 AM by lesterluv »

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #22300 on: January 14, 2022, 09:44:46 AM »

Think about it: you can't effectively develop 9 players at the same time.   Better to trim the bonsai tree so the best branches flourish.  Or something.

BINGO.

Sort of what the Hawks just did with Reddish.  Likely they will  use the #1 they just got from us in a further deal for talent.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #22301 on: January 14, 2022, 09:46:55 AM »

I am REALLY looking forward to seeing him and Obi and Grimes manning up with IQ.

Except if Reddish is healthy (big IF on any day) he will be getting much of the Grimes minutes

lesterluv

• View Profile
I must dispose of this swiftly and savagely.
« Reply #22302 on: January 14, 2022, 09:48:49 AM »

Not exactly tons of minutes. 

Rookie Season: 26.7 [Hunter 32]

Second Season: 28.8 [Hunter 29.5]

Not a ton? what qualifies as a ton, lol, Thibs >to Randall minutes? FizWhale to Barrett minutes?

OK...how about BUCKETS AND BUCKETS OF MINUTES

27 is a BUTTLOAD of minutes for a rookie.

29 for a second year? Well this year, 29 (er 28.8) would put him around 85th-95th in the entire league in the Clint Capela, Eric Gordon, Evan Fournier, Mike Conley, Duncan Robinson, Alec Burks, Desmond Bane, Jordan Poole, Jaren Jackson Jr., Myles Turner neighborhood.

How about we agree on ....

FUCKLOADS OF MINUTES
But whatever you want to call it, it's not playing time that has held him back.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 09:52:35 AM by lesterluv »

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #22303 on: January 14, 2022, 09:51:39 AM »

Are we really in play for Westbrook or Wall?

No

Not now...

Had our chance at Russ.  He stays with Lakers (21-21) through playoff season

How about Schroder?  Wanna give the Celts some future asset(s)?

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #22304 on: January 14, 2022, 09:58:37 AM »

Coming out now that Hawks wanted Grimes in the deal.
Pages: 1 ... 1485 1486 [1487] 1488 1489 ... 1850