Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1669 1670 [1671] 1672 1673 ... 1851

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 964583 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #25050 on: October 04, 2022, 09:49:16 PM »

I think we have a formula for watchable and winning B-ball this season.

It all looked pretty great.

I do not mind Fournier as a token starter whos reentry into the game is highly situational.

No need to lean on anyone past the point where they are efficient this year. That is a very nice change. 
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #25051 on: October 04, 2022, 11:25:06 PM »

I think we have a formula for watchable and winning B-ball this season.

It all looked pretty great.

I do not mind Fournier as a token starter whos reentry into the game is highly situational.

No need to lean on anyone past the point where they are efficient this year. That is a very nice change.

One Year Older

One More Year Of Bonding

CONTINUITY

PS: Went from No PointGuards to Jalen, DRose, IQ, Deuce...

PPS:  Jalen stepped right up, stepped right in from the opening possession.

PPPS: Thibs' rotations and disbursement of minutes, mixing first and second units, were very interesting.  Credit The BEARD.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #25052 on: October 05, 2022, 12:45:47 AM »

Bearded Thibs is like Dark Brandon. The mere mention of either causes wet trembling fear leading to panic in all opponents.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #25053 on: October 05, 2022, 02:29:18 AM »

So far, by eye test,

Tari Eason is a marginally better player than Jabari Smith who is also pretty good. The rockets did well in the draft and will be even more fun to watch this year.

The Bulls will not miss Lonzo at all while he is on the mend and he will have a hard time cracking their rotation if and when he is cleared to play.

Richard P. Feynman

chipstern

• View Profile
Efficiency
« Reply #25054 on: October 05, 2022, 01:41:25 PM »

Given...

Pre-Season

Given...

The Pistons [but hey, how about Ivey & Duren]

Given...

Brunson's impact immediate and dramatic. 

JB was 7-9, 2-4 from trey, 5 assists, and took three charges [two to the face].  Loved his aggression in getting to the rack.  dRose only played six minutes, but looked lithe, and hitting his opening trey was a nice sign.  Interesting how much Brunson's game reflects that of Rose. 

More to the point, look at how RJ and Julius performed while basking in his penumbra. 

Very efficient, focused AND relaxed when tasked with less ruddering responsibilities.   

In 23 minutes, RJ had 21 points on 8-14, 3-5 from trey, 2-2 from the FT line, 5 boards, 2 assists, 1 steal, 1 block, 1 turnover.  Played like a LEAD DAWG. 

In 18 minutes, JR had 15 points on 6-10, 2-4 from trey, 6 rebounds, 4 assists, ZERO TURNOVERS, though he had a couple of adventures.  Still taking his pounding, oneONone posture out in the edges, but seemed way more releaxed and focused.  Played like a SECONDARY OPTION DAWG. 

Only pre-season, but Thibs played Obi 22 minutes, and while his trey was way off, still finished 4-9, and more tellingly, 6 rebounds and 3 assists. 

Mitchell was a beast around the rim, with three blocks, but I particularly liked his steal and dribble to the hoop, and while he did not convert, made a drop step and turn move down low, as opposed to his usual lob and slam--eagerly awaiting a peek at his FT shooting and his first jumper.  Hartenstein, nice pickup, Leon...with 7 boards, 2-3 from trey, an assist and 2 steals.  Looked a little lost on D now and again, but fuck me, he is an athletic, authentic Stretch FIVE. 

Thibs playing IQ & Deuce together was an interesting look.  IQ with 13-3-3 and 3 steals.  McBride still doesn't have his jumper dialed in, which is obviously the next step, but obviously, his DEFENSE has gotten Thibs' attention, with 6 fucking steals, 4 boards, 2 assists and a block. 

Cam's opening three was uplifting, though his jumper is still way off, but before he got hurt, was engaged and D-ing up with a board an assist and a block.  His ankle doesn't seem serious, but still made me wince. 

Of the scrubs, Jalen Harris got a long look, a 6'5" guard who converted 17-of-36 treys as a Raptor, pre-suspension, and looks like he might stick, as might Arcidiacono, who look relaxed out there as a shooter and facilitator.   

Anyway, ONLY PRE-SEASON, but Brunson is clearly a DAWG, and a LEAD DAWG at that. 

Seeing the upside of his leadership. 

People still moaning about whiffing on Donovan Mitchell, can suck my big toe and call me Moe.  I'm sure he and Garland are going to be a motherfucker of a back court for the Cavs, but we have our Pride Of Puppies, and again, the continuity of having so many returning players, many of whom, such as RJ and Obi and IQ, that Ainge coveted, and who have CLEARLY put in a summer of work, are happyHappyHAPPY to be KNICKS.

ONLY PRE-SEASON, but a nice vibe, and for the moment, no THIRD QUARTER OF DOOM, Knick On Wood. 

We shall see. 

I think it's the beard. 
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 01:50:51 PM by chipstern »

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #25055 on: October 05, 2022, 01:47:26 PM »

Coach Thibs is channeling his inner Woody.

WWMWD?

Richard P. Feynman

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #25056 on: October 05, 2022, 01:51:26 PM »

WWMWD?

Providing cover for his second and third chins. 

WWMWD?

Translate.  Please. 
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 03:32:06 PM by chipstern »

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #25057 on: October 05, 2022, 04:43:17 PM »

Chip loves Deuce.
The Mitchell deal would have opened Deuce minutes
Yet Chip hates the deal.

We will be fine.  But the discussion will linger.

Nice getting a long look at Ivey's talents.  No.  Not quite Russ (as is the comarison).   Westbrook more active and clever at defensive end.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Knicks game at MSG
« Reply #25058 on: October 05, 2022, 05:24:06 PM »

I was just at MSG last week to see the Killers in concert.    (We were terrified just looking up at the Chase bridge, can't imagine jumping around up there)

Last night's win inspired me to spend some money on this team. 

I'll be at the game on Wednesday, October 26, 2022 7:30 PM EDT vs. Charlotte.

Go Knicks!
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #25059 on: October 05, 2022, 05:56:38 PM »

Nice

We should be 2-1 by then

chipstern

• View Profile
Chip Loves Deuce
« Reply #25060 on: October 05, 2022, 06:27:55 PM »

I think Donovan Mitchell is a brilliant player. 

But I thought AND CONTINUE TO THINK, that people were projecting too much on him. 

In part, because Rick Pitino was begging us to select him in the draft, and instead Phool Jagoff and Dirt Rambus selected Frank Nitilikina on their way out the door. 

Hey, we could have selected Tyrese Haliburton, who I was pulling for, but we selected Obi Toppin instead. 

What's DONE is DONE

Don't misunderstand me, I dig Donovan Mitchell, but the price was too fucking high, and the whole premise that THE KNICKS NEED A STAR, is such specious nonsense. 

THE GRASS IS ALWAYS GREENER?

Sometimes it is NOT. 

Okay, the last time we got lucky in the draft was when we nailed Ewing. 

Otherwise, Indiana chose Chuck Person and we ended up with Kenny Walker. 

Otherwise, GS chose Steph Curry and we ended up with Jordan Hill. 

Otherwise, Minny chose Karl Anthony Towns and we ended up with Porzingis. 

Otherwise, we picked third, and ended up with RJ Barrett, instead of Zion or Ja at 1 & 2, or Hunter and Garland at #4 & 5. 

Well, hard to argue with Zion and Ja, or Kat, but Porzingis and RJ turned out okay. 

During the DONOVAN MITCHELL FEEDING FRENZY, I was horrified at the notion we might offload RJ, let alone RJ and [AND] Obi, IQ and Grimes.  During one of the earliest iterations of trade talks, apparently Mitchell was on the table.  My old friend and Forum Veteran MIRASJA was terrified that we might offlaod Grimes. 

I thought then, and think now, that the LEON MUST GET US A STAR or his reign is a failure, was fevered nonsense. 

SLOW BUT STEADY WINS THE RACE. 

I look at Boston, and I see Tatum, I see Brown, I see Smart, I see Robert Williams.  The originization retained its core of youth and kept that core together, and patiently nurtured that talent.  And that core just kept raising their game. 

Did Ainge pursue STARS?  Ask Bankshot what he thought about Trader Danny's pursuit of Kyrie Irving and Gordon Hayward.  STARS.  Gave up a lot of talent to create cap space and get Kyrie.  TOP DOLLAR for Hayward.  Top Dollar and their homegrown talent in Collier for Kemba.  BLEW UP IN THEIR FACE. 

Hey, this past draft, if we couldn't move up for Ivey, I wanted Jalen Duren. 

Instead we ended up with Brunson and Hartenstein.  Not too shabby, and ironically, turned our #11 draft pick
into multiple picks, one of which became Duren on his way to the Pistons, along with Walker, Noel and Burks to open up cap space for both Brunson AND Hartenstein, as well as Mitchell Robinson. 

Donovan Mitchell OR R.J. Barrett? 

THE GRASS IS ALWAYS GREENER. 

I am sure that Donovan is going to be a terrific match for Garland on the Cavs. 

But R.J. has gotten better every year.  He is only 22, and will continue to get better, if only fucking Knicks fans can can keep their powder dry, and let this fine cognac age in the barrell. 

Homegrown, and now in his fourth year.  Much as Mitchell, now 24, is homegrown and in his fifth year. 

I am much more into trusting the process than, as I have said AD NAUSEUM, in pursuing shiny objects.   

Trading away R.J. and IQ and Grimes would have opened up floor time for Deuce? 

If we didn't trade Deuce to UTAH, which we didn't, and thank goodness for small favors. 

Trading away all of our young players FOR A FUCKING STAR, would have sundered chemistry and continuity, and would have been a bridge too far, one deal too many. 

Would it have supercharged our ascent?

Perhaps.  Mitchell is a special player. 

But R.J. has been trending towards becoming a special player, if only we had remained PATIENT. 

Well, WE REMAINED PATIENT, and got a point guard to supercharge his development.  A point guard who may very well revivify Julius Randle as well. 

PATIENCE, Pilgrims. 

PATIENCE.

As for Deuce?  He ain't stoopid.  Jalen AND Rose are ahead of him in the rotation.  So is IQ, who has two years on him. 

So?  Nothing activates Thibs' salivary reflex like DEFENSE.  Maybe Deuce ain't a by Hoyle lead guard quite yet, his shooting is still dicey, but he is sure making a case for rotation minutes, one way or another.  Thibs was giving him a long look with IQ last night, and they both raised their game and their efficiency.  There are nights Deuce KNOWS WITH BIBLICAL CERTAINTY that he won't play, but there are other nights when he will be a key piece off the bench.  CHARLIE WARD 2.1

As Padre Pat Riley once put it: "I know you are ready, but ARE YOU PREPARED?"

I am fine with our team, and our process, and R.J. is not stoopid.  He knew what was up with the Mitchell talks.  We passed, committed to R.J. and now he has been paid and annointed as a key figure in our future. 

R.J. is up to the challenge, and relishes the opportunity to grow as a KNICK, bleeding orange and blue

We ain't THERE yet, and The EAST is a BEAST, but baby steps are fine with me.

ONWARDS. 
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 06:37:33 PM by chipstern »

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #25061 on: October 05, 2022, 08:06:17 PM »

Did Ainge pursue STARS?  Ask Bankshot what he thought about Trader Danny's pursuit of Kyrie Irving and Gordon Hayward.  STARS.  Gave up a lot of talent to create cap space and get Kyrie.  TOP DOLLAR for Hayward.  Top Dollar and their homegrown talent in Collier for Kemba.  BLEW UP IN THEIR FACE.

Appears they did just fine.  You rove the opposite side.  We can take our shot with deals and still be OK if we dont win it all.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #25062 on: October 05, 2022, 08:11:17 PM »

Completion of NBA Finals team came when they added Horford, added Derrick White.  Added back Daniel Theis.  Dealt young guys, yes.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #25063 on: October 05, 2022, 08:12:57 PM »

Dealt a pick (for Horford) that could have been Q Grimes - and didnt win it all.  Isnt that what you usually critique?

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #25064 on: October 05, 2022, 09:10:57 PM »

WWMWD?

Providing cover for his second and third chins. 

WWMWD?

Translate.  Please.

Ask yourself

What would Mike Woodson do?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 09:13:59 PM by facilitatorn »

Richard P. Feynman
Pages: 1 ... 1669 1670 [1671] 1672 1673 ... 1851