Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1818 1819 [1820] 1821 1822 ... 1848

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 919401 times)

elephant

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #27285 on: December 04, 2023, 11:50:21 AM »

When exactly is all this checking out occuring?

29-10-8

Hello

Look, I'm never been a Randle detractor.

But it is what it is. You can brandish all the stats you want, but there's something real that separates him from other top hoopers.

It's a psychological issue, a focus issue. When it arises, there's no mistaking it.

And it ain't pretty.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27286 on: December 04, 2023, 02:38:04 PM »

You can see how accommodating Randle shortcomings while accentuating Randle strengths has been a focus of the team roster moves over the last several seasons.

Brunson removes any need for Randle to be team leader while putting a leader on the floor who can more often than not help him keep his head in the game.

Mitch gives the back line coverage any lineup with a weak defender elsewhere needs. Hartenstein does well there too while offering more on the other side. He was here, but he got the contract impart because of how he fits with Randle.

We shipped out Reddish and let Obi walk to get Hart and Donte who bring energy movement and smarts to both set up easy Randle possessions and to rescue ones that become difficult on both ends. With Randle, Brunson and RJ providing the engine to our offense the results have been pretty good. It still feels like this is a weird team to watch.

I am happy to see how far we can go and what we can add hopefully through the draft with our pick and one from Dallas.

We have other draft capital of more distant and lesser value to deal with and five interchangeably irrelevant guys waiting on the bench if we see a chance to grab someone the coach might actually use.

I am also in favor of a Grimes demotion in favor of Hart or Donte both to shore up starting production and because our second unit seems like it would be easier to find a groove in than amongst our starters. I do not think defensively there is much daylight between any of those three.

I am expecting a pounding from Milwaukee. I hope I am wrong about it

Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #27287 on: December 04, 2023, 10:06:33 PM »

Why expect a pounding?

I expect a competitive game.

elephant

• View Profile
« Reply #27288 on: December 04, 2023, 10:12:13 PM »

You can see how accommodating Randle shortcomings while accentuating Randle strengths has been a focus of the team roster moves over the last several seasons.

Brunson removes any need for Randle to be team leader while putting a leader on the floor who can more often than not help him keep his head in the game.

Mitch gives the back line coverage any lineup with a weak defender elsewhere needs. Hartenstein does well there too while offering more on the other side. He was here, but he got the contract impart because of how he fits with Randle.

We shipped out Reddish and let Obi walk to get Hart and Donte who bring energy movement and smarts to both set up easy Randle possessions and to rescue ones that become difficult on both ends. With Randle, Brunson and RJ providing the engine to our offense the results have been pretty good. It still feels like this is a weird team to watch........

Yeah to the above.

The team design is weird....but it's working. And it's pretty cool to watch.

elephant

• View Profile
« Reply #27289 on: December 05, 2023, 12:34:32 PM »

Julius says,

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #27290 on: December 05, 2023, 01:49:51 PM »

He packed for Vegas. That is in the Milwaukee pregame speech. Jules asked for it, now all he has to do is overcome the response.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

elephant

• View Profile
« Reply #27291 on: December 05, 2023, 10:00:29 PM »

He packed for Vegas. That is in the Milwaukee pregame speech. Jules asked for it, now all he has to do is overcome the response.

Thanks for finishing the quote!

That was indeed what I thought I wrote. No idea why it vanished.

elephant

• View Profile
« Reply #27292 on: December 05, 2023, 10:02:19 PM »

They'll learn from this I figure.

But I also hope we don't come across these motherfuckers in the playoffs.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 11:02:24 PM by elephant »

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #27293 on: December 05, 2023, 10:39:29 PM »

Yeah. I was just thinking we want no part of them in a series. Still, we hung in and fought for three quarters. Jules had a pretty huge game, just not enough when the opponent manages sixty percent from the field and from three.

Richard P. Feynman

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #27294 on: December 06, 2023, 02:23:41 PM »

Yeah. I was just thinking we want no part of them in a series. Still, we hung in and fought for three quarters. Jules had a pretty huge game, just not enough when the opponent manages sixty percent from the field and from three.

Well, we got ONE COMPETITIVE HALF

Julius played the game of his life. 

But man oh man did they ever undress us from trey. 

PS: IQ coming down to Earth after a recent epic run.

PPS: Work to be done.  I'm wondering if Grimes might not get more looks, touches, opportunities to create on the second unit.  A forgotten man on the starting five. 

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #27295 on: December 07, 2023, 10:36:17 PM »

Tyrese Haliburton

DAMN

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #27296 on: December 08, 2023, 12:42:46 PM »

IQ coming up small recently, and in big games.  Combined with his playoffs no-show, it's a little concerning.

Randle is an infuriating player to root for.  To get the good Randle, you have to put up with the occasional lack of focus, reluctance to hustle, and apathy on defense.   Because offensively he is a force for good.  You just hope the good outweigh the rest on any given night. Early this year the good didn't outweigh the bad.  But he's rounding into form now.

Grimes on the bench.  I agree he should go there if only to touch the ball more often.  But I know Thibs will not want to mess with a bench unit that his been gangbusters and a starting unit that is still a net positive.  Grimes defense on starters is more important than his defense on reserves.  There's offensive superstars in the league we need to put Grimes on, and usually they start games.   

Katz made mention of something interesting. Yes, much of Grimes struggle is on himself. He had the same role last year and he was much more effective, and not always parked in the corner.   But another wrinkle to it is that when Grimes IS open in the corner Jalen Brunson, as the nominal PG, should sacrifice some of his own looks to create a couple of shots for Quentin.  RJ and Randle to a lesser extent should look to involve him more.  So I think if there is a change, it starts with the starters sharing the ball more often.   

The forum wanted to draft Haliburton.   We drafted OBI instead.  Thanks Leon.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 12:48:14 PM by Kam »
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

LarryB!

• View Profile
« Reply #27297 on: December 08, 2023, 07:44:06 PM »

LeBron James will be 39 this month. Damn!

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #27298 on: December 09, 2023, 01:47:38 PM »

Well that last post didn't age well did it.   Thibs surprised me.  Grimes looked more confident not having to defer to others.  But our point of attack defense offered up less resistance than swiss cheese.  Mitch got hurt, but we looked more competitive with ihart who, while not exactly a stretch five by any means, at least gives you more on offense than Mitch.

We have a team defensive concept that is good enough on most nights, but as we've seen with the 0-5 record vs the Celtics and Bucks, it's not good enough to beat the top teams UNLESS we execute at our 95th percentile AND get a little lucky to boot.

With the benefit of hindsight, it would've been better not to blow out Charlotte, so we'd have had two lesser opponents.  But on the other hand, we've had our eyes opened and so has Leon that this team is a nice team and tries hard, but is ultimately lacking a couple more pieces to truly compete.

I like this team, but at some point there will need to be some changes.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #27299 on: December 09, 2023, 02:02:42 PM »

As far what changes... 

Brunson vs IQ.   Pick your guy and move the other one.  We can't afford the luxury of carrying both.   Losing either player would hurt our depth and bench performance, but if you can get an big wing like Anunoby to guard the big wings of the league, it's a piece this squad desperately needs.

Hartenstein vs Robinson.  Pick your guy and move the other one.  We can't afford the luxury of carrying both.  If you make the first move to acquire a big wing who defends the other teams primary wing, that will help offset the loss of one of our big men. I love Mitch and everything he has meant to the franchise, but its no surprise that the top teams in the league all employ at least one stretch five if not multiple guys (Denver, Boston, Milwaukee, Philly etc etc) who defend and stretch the floor.  While Hartenstein isn't a stretch five per se, he gets us closer to that ideal, allowing us to maybe move a guy like Mitch for something valuable.  Or perhaps it's Ihart who is more appealing accross the league.

Either way we have a surplus at the PG and C.  You take these strengths and use them to shore up your weaknesses and balance the team.

I really have no sacred cows.   If it costs a Brunson or a Robinson to fundamentally change the ceiling of this franchise, then Leon needs to pull the trigger.   If it costs IQ and IHart, i'll be sad but looking forward to the talent we get in return and what that does for the team as a whole.   I like this team, but it has first round playoff exit, maybe second if we get lucky.   Serious contenders we are not.
Pages: 1 ... 1818 1819 [1820] 1821 1822 ... 1848