Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 17, 2018, 11:37:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which player in the mix at #9 do you wish most to see as a Knick?
Carter - 4 (44.4%)
Trae - 1 (11.1%)
Knox - 0 (0%)
Shai - 0 (0%)
Mikal - 4 (44.4%)
Sexton - 0 (0%)
BobWill - 0 (0%)
Miles - 0 (0%)
MPJ - 0 (0%)
LW4 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 9

Pages: 1 ... 1423 1424 [1425]
  Print  
Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 180841 times)
elephant and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21360 on: Today at 09:59:23 AM »

Yes.  I saw the game, genius.  My comment stands.  Talk to me when the tourney is finished. 

As for Ronaldo.. no bigger fan than me.   But yeah.  Always a team effort.

Ok, so you watched the game and didn’t understand what you were seeing.

So you lead with this, then expect me to have a conversation with you?

Not the way I intend to enjoy this World Cup - sorry.  I'll pass.

Be good now.
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21361 on: Today at 10:03:58 AM »

Bates-Diop will be off the board by 27. He’s gonna plug right in and do damage. I’ll be surprised if he’s still there at pick 20.

Yeah - not sure where Chip got that list.. Musa is misplaced as well
carlos123

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21362 on: Today at 11:00:53 AM »

Yes.  I saw the game, genius.  My comment stands.  Talk to me when the tourney is finished. 

As for Ronaldo.. no bigger fan than me.   But yeah.  Always a team effort.

Ok, so you watched the game and didn’t understand what you were seeing.

So you lead with this, then expect me to have a conversation with you?

Not the way I intend to enjoy this World Cup - sorry.  I'll pass.

Be good now.

You can’t have a conversation about soccer. Stick to your expertise, that is all things Jimmer.
luee
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21363 on: Today at 11:43:26 AM »

I haven't been much on the World Cup the past couple go rounds, but I saw the neighbor was watching the World Cup, so I tuned in.  And there's something captivating about Argentina v. Iceland held in Russia.  It was 1-1 after 62 mins and no goals when I watched.
But Messi botched a penalty kick.
And Iceland just played defense.
And had to be pleased with a tie.

I watched Spain vs. Portugal, and it had a pretty dramatic final stanza.

Ronaldo is SUPERMAN, the LeBron of soccer. Tied de game all by himself against one of the best teams (except for the goalie).

One of the top 5 keepers in the world, genius.  And yes, a direct kick I suppose is "all by himself".... heh

Iceland over America some sport!
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21364 on: Today at 11:48:56 AM »

Porter over Bridges in a  leap of faith, says THE POST:

https://nypost.com/2018/06/15/nba-mock-draft-a-huge-knicks-gamble-and-a-towering-top-3/

Most sensible mock I have seen, late picks excluded.
bodiddley
Superhero Member

Bring it to Jerome

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21365 on: Today at 02:48:21 PM »

I was reading a little about the procedure Porter Jr had.  An L4-L5 microdiscectomy is a minimally invasive surgery designed to treat a bulging disc which is pinching the nerve, usually causing leg (and possibly foot) pain and/or weakness.  Depending upon the location of the trouble, they might have to perform a laminectomy, cutting through the lamina which is the protecting nerve sheath.  The nerve itself is stretchy and can be moved aside.  Then the offending bone matter can be removed and the nerve returned into place. 

The surgery generally takes about an hour, and has a high success rate.  The healing time is primarily for the nerve to recover from the damage it received, and is anywhere form a few to 6 months.  But also to regain strength in the weakened leg.  Prognosis is better if the operation is performed and the nerve fixed in the early stages.  Prolonged nerve damage can be trickier.  And Porter has said he injured his back in high school (sophomore year?).

There's a small possibility that the disc can slip back onto the nerve, and often then a disc fusion is performed for repeated pinched nerves.  Some physical activity is encouraged even soon after the operation in order to regain range of motion and flexibility.  But I didn't see much about contact sports or chances of reinjury from such.

Not sure any of the helps much, without knowing more specifics such as the extent of Porter's leg troubles/pain, how the operation itself went, and whatever setbacks/delays have occurred during his rehab, the health of the nerve, etc.  For a normal person this is a relatively minor operation with a high success rate and generally good relief from pain and return to normal or mostly normal leg strength.  For a high level athlete ... ?
chipstern
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21366 on: Today at 04:46:13 PM »

I was reading a little about the procedure Porter Jr had.  An L4-L5 microdiscectomy is a minimally invasive surgery designed to treat a bulging disc which is pinching the nerve, usually causing leg (and possibly foot) pain and/or weakness.  Depending upon the location of the trouble, they might have to perform a laminectomy, cutting through the lamina which is the protecting nerve sheath.  The nerve itself is stretchy and can be moved aside.  Then the offending bone matter can be removed and the nerve returned into place.  

The surgery generally takes about an hour, and has a high success rate.  The healing time is primarily for the nerve to recover from the damage it received, and is anywhere form a few to 6 months.  But also to regain strength in the weakened leg.  Prognosis is better if the operation is performed and the nerve fixed in the early stages.  Prolonged nerve damage can be trickier.  And Porter has said he injured his back in high school (sophomore year?).

There's a small possibility that the disc can slip back onto the nerve, and often then a disc fusion is performed for repeated pinched nerves.  Some physical activity is encouraged even soon after the operation in order to regain range of motion and flexibility.  But I didn't see much about contact sports or chances of reinjury from such.

Not sure any of the helps much, without knowing more specifics such as the extent of Porter's leg troubles/pain, how the operation itself went, and whatever setbacks/delays have occurred during his rehab, the health of the nerve, etc.  For a normal person this is a relatively minor operation with a high success rate and generally good relief from pain and return to normal or mostly normal leg strength.  For a high level athlete ... ?

I myself had a similar procedure for spinal stenosis back in July 2015.  

I had issues in the same region of the spine, which was impacting my sciatic nerve.  Which caused by left foot to tingle/go-numb.  When the surgeon made his incisions and went in, he discovered some complications which did not show up and so ended up doing both a laminectomy and a fusion, and inserting a titanium spacer to stabilize the spine.

From what you detail, I take it Porter's primary issues had less to do with spinal stability and more to do with impacting the nerve (presumably the sciatic nerve).  

Obviously, different strokes, different folks.  A 6'10" 19-20 year old athlete vs. a portly 5'7" 63-year old.  My primary care physician, who put me in touch with the orthopedic surgeon, told me his father (also a physician) had a similar procedure and was up and on an airplane flight in two weeks...so yes, physical activity right after surgery is normal.  He also told me the duration of the healing/rehab process would be on the order of 12-18 months, which turned out about right.  Eighteen months after surgery, I felt strong enough to return to the Taxi Wars, which ain't the NBA, but which is physically grueling, albeit on the order of jet lag and back fatigue due to the extended drive time and lack of physical motion and stretching.  

Being able to walk again without having to reboot every couple of blocks when foot (and subsequently my leg) went all numb on me, I was able to lose like 50-60 pounds.  

Worth noting.  Minimally invasive surgery is nevertheless, SURGERY, so God forbid the Knicks get an opportunity to draft this young man, they need to be diligent and purposeful and patient in building up his strength and endurance...in which case, there is a good chance he could physically be better than ever.  Pain and tenderness comes with the territory, while flexibility and strength take...TIME.  As in...TRUST THE PROCESS.  

Still, I have to believe that the POST's MOCK DRAFT offers false hope to our fans, as any team with a competent set of orthopedists (such as the Knicks might access at THE HOSPITAL FOR SPECIAL SURGERY) would likely offer a similar prognosis.  

Having said that, and we have no idea what deals are being discussed among teams looking to move up or down, sounds like Knox might be a poor man's Porter.  

In any event, having beaten this horse into a pile of equine sashimi, come next Thursday, we will be adding good young talent to our roster, be it Porter, be it Carter, be it Bridges, be it Young, be it Knox, as we leave the Phil Jackson Era [ERROR, if you like] conclusively behind, though it fairness to his dickheadhood, Porzingis and Ntilikina and Dotson have all shown signs of being solid long term pieces, and every indication is that David Fizdale is a good match for the personnel, the city and the team, thank you very much, Pat Riley.
« Last Edit: Today at 05:51:28 PM by chipstern » Logged
chipstern
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21367 on: Today at 05:53:16 PM »

Adrian Wojnarowski: Dallas Mavericks assistant Kaleb Canales is joining the New York Knicks coaching staff, league sources tell ESPN. Canales has been with the Mavericks since 2013. He was the interim head coach with Blazers in 2012.

Born in Laredo, Canales earned his master’s degree in sports leadership from Virginia Commonwealth University and his bachelor’s degree in kinesiology with a minor in Spanish from the University of Texas-Arlington.  Kaleb Canales was an assistant coach with the Mavericks, where he was responsible for coordinating the team’s offense. Canales joined the Mavericks after spending nine years working in various capacities for the Portland Trail Blazers.  Canales served as an assistant coach with Portland from 2008-09 to 2012-13. He spent the final 23 games of 2011-12 as interim head coach of the Trail Blazers. Named to that position on March 15, 2012, Canales, 33 at the time, was the youngest active head coach in the league and the 13th head coach of the Trail Blazers. His 8-15 mark at the helm was better than each of Portland’s previous three interim coaches through 23 games (Stu Inman – 5-18 in 1971-72, Rick Adelman – 7-16 in 1988-89, Kevin Pritchard – 3-20 in 2004-05). The first Mexican-American head coach in NBA history, Canales was elected into the National Hispanic Sports Hall of Fame in 2011.

Needless to say, I am quite pleased that Coach Fizdale is injecting new blood--YOUNG BLOOD--from outside the organization, while rejecting the notion of aged retreads such as Herb Williams and been there/done that douche bags such as Mike "Finish The Work I Started" Woodson.  

OKAY.  

Now, Scott, let's get him some hungry pumas.  
« Last Edit: Today at 06:00:38 PM by chipstern » Logged
chipstern
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21368 on: Today at 06:05:36 PM »

Peter Vecsey:

Combined with the incontrovertible fact that Kawhi’s placid personality is a perfect fit in San Antonio and tortuously unfit to cope with the media madness of Los Angeles and New York — even Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago and Miami — I’m convinced a reconciliation is imminent. The fact Kawhi is building a home in San Antonio for himself, and one, I’m told, for his mother, somewhat bolsters that conclusion … though athletes’ custom-made residences certainly don’t guarantee an iota of permanency.

In a cell conversation yesterday with Kawhi’s fringe friend, my first words were ones I’ve often promoted: “You know, I’m only as good as my source. What can you tell me?” Enough so that I’m thoroughly disinclined to believe Kawhi and Pop can’t patch things up, predominantly because their relationship isn’t in need of a large patch. From what I’m told, they’ve never exchanged harsh words or gone off on each other. A single problem existed last season that would not go away: Kawhi’s caregivers and doctors felt his repaired quad wasn’t entirely healthy when he returned 28 games into the season. After nine, some very effective, minute-monitored games, they insisted he return to rehab.

But there is a reason they’re called ‘team’ doctors, and not players’ doctors … they’re paid by the team. “The media made it seem as if the Spurs and Kawhi’s people weren’t communicating. Like they didn’t know where he was and how things were going,” my source said. “They were in constant touch. I think Pop made Mitch wear a helmet cam. “The Spurs had their opinion regarding what should be done. Kawhi’s people disagreed. I don’t see any reason why both sides can’t move forward together.”
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21369 on: Today at 06:21:55 PM »

I think Vescey is way off

Kawhi is a Cali guy, after all.
Nagel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21370 on: Today at 08:25:36 PM »

POP may be nearing the end of the road as reported and if that is true then KL may be thinking of leaving as well.

we will know when it happens.
chipstern
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21371 on: Today at 08:39:54 PM »

POP may be nearing the end of the road as reported and if that is true then KL may be thinking of leaving as well.

Reported?

BY WHOM?

Please include a citation. 

Pops lost his wife after a prolonged illness.

But quitting on such a note does not strike me as his modus operandi.  Not if he coached THROUGH IT as he did, with nary a peep to anyone as to what he was going through. 
Nagel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21372 on: Today at 09:00:19 PM »

Reported?

BY WHOM?

Please include a citation. 

Pops lost his wife after a prolonged illness.

But quitting on such a note does not strike me as his modus operandi.  Not if he coached THROUGH IT as he did, with nary a peep to anyone as to what he was going through. 

i'm not saying it  is true BUT

"In a report on Kawhi Leonard's future with the San Antonio Spurs organization, ESPN NBA reporter Adrian Wojnarowski dropped this interesting tidbit on the future of Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich.

"Few in his orbit expect Popovich to coach the Spurs beyond the 2020 Summer Olympics, and there always has been the possibility that he could spend the 2019-20 season traveling the NBA and globe, preparing for his national team duties," Wojnarowski wrote."

sorry i did not include this.  my bad.
Pages: 1 ... 1423 1424 [1425]
  Print  

Jump to: