Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 1844

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 899365 times)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #105 on: August 05, 2018, 01:43:23 PM »

How about a contest -

Hardaway had 46 double digit efforts last year

He had 18 20+ point tallies

He had 5 games with 30+

(bear in mind this was over just 57 games)

So, make your picks for 2018-19

double digits - 20 and over - 30+

I will say 68 - 35 - 5

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 05, 2018, 02:17:11 PM »

With KZ out and then likely returning slowly from Jan 1st on, Tim Jr. should be our primary scorer.  So the number of double digit games or 20 point outings is less important than his FG%, shot selection, efficiency, FT rate, etc.

If you do see DAL, let us know how things mesh.
Some Q's:
Can Barnes take over the leadership role?
Can Doncic have a smooth transition?
 (I think he'll be very up and down in terms of play and minutes).
Can Smith Jr. reign in his wildness?
Can anyone get lobs to DeAndre?
Can the bench hold its own or not suck?
Can Dirk stay healthy and competitive?
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

chipstern

• View Profile
Likewise...
« Reply #107 on: August 05, 2018, 02:31:46 PM »

"With all of LA’s playmakers the Knicks point guards, Hardaway’s skill set could be a valuable option as someone to get the ball to out in transition, on cuts, or from deep."

Ah, the dawg days of summer...

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 05, 2018, 02:58:21 PM »

With KZ out and then likely returning slowly from Jan 1st on, Tim Jr. should be our primary scorer.  So the number of double digit games or 20 point outings is less important than his FG%, shot selection, efficiency, FT rate, etc.

If you do see DAL, let us know how things mesh.
Some Q's:
Can Barnes take over the leadership role?
Can Doncic have a smooth transition?
 (I think he'll be very up and down in terms of play and minutes).
Can Smith Jr. reign in his wildness?
Can anyone get lobs to DeAndre?
Can the bench hold its own or not suck?
Can Dirk stay healthy and competitive?

FT%?  Hardaway?

heh - lol

Efficiency?  Do you like or hate PER?

I will say THJ hits a career high next year

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 05, 2018, 03:11:58 PM »

If holding Hardaway spoils our starphucking expoditions, it could be a blessing in disguise long term, pushing the opening of our contention window back to 2021 or 2022, but ultimately making it more sustainable with homegrown talent getting a chance to mature together into major roles.

Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
Re: Likewise...
« Reply #110 on: August 05, 2018, 03:16:53 PM »

"With all of LA’s playmakers the Knicks point guards, Hardaway’s skill set could be a valuable option as someone to get the ball to out in transition, on cuts, or from deep."

Charlie Ward likes our point guards.

http://nypost.com/2018/08/04/ex-knicks-guard-sees-trait-that-can-make-kevin-knox-a-star/
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 05, 2018, 03:34:11 PM »

If holding Hardaway spoils our starphucking expoditions, it could be a blessing in disguise long term, pushing the opening of our contention window back to 2021 or 2022, but ultimately making it more sustainable with homegrown talent getting a chance to mature together into major roles.

Let me set this straight - as it appears you are quite easily swayed....

There has been no thought of salary dumping Tim Hardaway.  Hardaway is seen as a piece of the puzzle in our return to being a playoff team.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 05, 2018, 03:51:44 PM »

Seeing things again?

Try less turpentine in your coffee

Richard P. Feynman

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 05, 2018, 04:38:08 PM »

Where will Porzingis be then?

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 05, 2018, 04:48:04 PM »

Starting center, all-star caliber, middle of a big contract, deep in the playoffs, healthy, happy, a Knick hopefully.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 05, 2018, 04:55:26 PM »

I think we can get into the Wizards of the past few seasons, i.e. 4-6 seed + short postseason, with Tim as the 5th starter or guard-wing off the bench paying what we pay him if many other things break right.

If he improves incrementally under Fizz, he could be a decent deal in year 3 and 4.

He’s sort of a backcourt ZBo, in terms of how you want to deploy him on what sort of teams.

Richard P. Feynman

chipstern

• View Profile
Moving Forward
« Reply #116 on: August 05, 2018, 06:28:55 PM »

Charlie Ward likes our point guards.

http://nypost.com/2018/08/04/ex-knicks-guard-sees-trait-that-can-make-kevin-knox-a-star/

Yes, I saw that piece.  Was very lifted by Ward's insights about KK's father and his spiritual/athletic pedigree. 

Charlie was very undervalued as a Knick.  His (and Houston's) evangelical predilections rubbed many Knicks fans the wrong way, and he was not the second coming of Tiny Archibald/Tim Hardaway Sr. offensively. 

But over time he became a dependable three point shooter, and was an effective facilitator, defensive stalwart and one tough little motherfucker (if one might characterize a 6'3" Heisman winning quarterback as...little). 

I have shared this particular story countless times, but it bears repeating.  I will always cherish my memory of Ward establishing position just to the right of the paint, a few feet above the baseline, and fearlessly holding his ground while absorbing an offensive foul from Shaquille O'Neal, who had built up a full head of steam, and simply obliterated Charlie. 

Who got the call. 

"If holding Hardaway spoils our starphucking expoditions, it could be a blessing in disguise long term, pushing the opening of our contention window back to 2021 or 2022, but ultimately making it more sustainable with homegrown talent getting a chance to mature together into major roles."

GETTING A CHANCE TO MATURE TOGETHER. 

I am in no rush to expedite, nor to preclude the process, by rushing headlong into the free agent scrum, a la Donnie Douche Bag deconstructing our roster, and jettisoning all of our assets and youth in a pyrrhic pursuit of LeBron and Melo. 

There is something to be said for a stable, patient, purposeful path forward, step by step, inch by inch.  Obviously, Brad Stevens and  Danny Ainge deployed more than just youth and draft picks, but they did not unduly rush things, stockpiled assets, and at key junctures in the process, added veteran free agents and made trades that rebounded in their favor, as their young players matured and blossomed together in Coach Stevens' purposeful, forward-thinking modern system. 

As an acolyte of Pat Riley, David Fizdale projects a nice combination of charm and toughness, and while supportive of his youth, and something of a charmer therein, one never loses sight of the fact that he DEMANDS ACCOUNTABILITY and as he is wont to assert, I AIN'T GIVING NOBODY NOTHING--THEY HAVE TO EARN IT. 

As such, defense, Defense, DEFENSE. 

Are defenders made or are defenders born?

Debate amongst yourself. 

Still, one thing which seems manifestly demonstrable to me, is that on a very fundamental level, DEFENSE REPRESENTS A SHARED COMMITMENT. 

So the fact that in Robinson, Ntilikina and Porzingis (let alone, until further notice, Thomas, Lee and Noah) we have a cadre of long, tall, big wingspan YOUNG athletes with a genuine defensive pedigree and enormous upside, bodes well moving forward for players such as Kanter, Hardaway, Knox, Hezonja and Burke, who are genuinely gifted offensively, but have a considerable amount to prove on the defensive end of the ball, both individually and as a coherent collective.  If sharing is caring on offense--ball movement and good screens, cutters and movement and motion, IT IS EVEN MORE CRITICAL ON DEFENSE.  For years the Knicks have been seemingly committed to complicated, infuriating help schemes, where there was less emphasis placed on man a mano responsibilities.  Of course help, having your brother's back, is critical to any successful, coherent defensive scheme, but it starts with personal responsibility, and physical commitment to getting over screens and making even the most gifted offensive juggernauts work, and WORK HARD for everything they get, and to pay a physical price in terms of no layups, no EZ Pass lines through the paint, and the cumulative effect of how fatigue factors in come the fourth quarter. 

If our defense is keying our offense, as was the case under Holzman, Riley and Van Gundy, and if our young points can reflect the toughness and efficiency and leadership shown by the likes of Frazier and Ward, be our 2018-2019 Knicks a playoff or lottery team, and if the Knicks fans can chant DE-FENCE and have it translate on the court to EFFORT and TENACITY, I will consider myself well-served as a fan. 

As for all of these schemes regarding salary cap space, I respect where some of you are coming from, but speaking only for myself, I do not give a tinker's damn. 

If we are able to reel in good young #1 and #2 picks from the draft, and offer one max contract in 2019-2020, I will consider myself well-served. 

However, let me make it perfectly clear, that I AM NOT MARRIED TO THE INSTANT GRATIFCATION OF A FREE AGENT. 

The right player, the right skill set, the right age, the right position, the right commitment?  All for it.  Al Horford?  A veteran game changer for the Celtics. 

But, if as Facil suggests, we are destined to move forward with what we have, and perhaps forced to suck it up and wait for Lee and Noah and Thomas's contracts to expire, then SO FUCKING BE IT. 

PS: And as a footnote, while Mills and Perry have not tipped their hands regarding possible trades, buyouts, stretch provisions, etcetera, it is my sincere hope that...and I mean this...we retain all of our vets unless a deal comes along that is so advantageous it simply knocks our socks off.  Our youth needs the benefit of veteran mentoring; Thomas for Knox, Hezonja and Vonleh; Lee for Hardaway and Dotson and Ntilikina and Mudiay and Trier; and in particular, NOAH for Kanter and Porzingis and Robinson and Kornet.  While Noah has struggled with health issues, his original contract was ill-conceived, and the chemistry between him Coaches Hornacek and Rambis was unfortunate on both sides, it is worth remembering what a dominating defensive presence, and rebounder, gifted passer and opportunistic pick and roll/screen man he was in his salad days.  Looking at a defensively challenged talent such as Kanter and the intoxicating raw clay that is Mitchell Robinson, it makes a world of sense to me, to afford them the benefit of Noah's heady, teamwork/oriented experience as a top-tier defender.  People need to stop obsessing over his contract.  Fuck it.  That train has long left the station. And given, $18.5-19.3 million is a considerable sum to pay for a back-up center/player-coach, but again, what's done is done, and I fail to see the desperate race to divest ourselves of his contract.  We can always stretch him and open up a roster spot in 2019-2020, or perhaps, having re-established his value as a role player to a contender, entertain a trade with in the final year of his expiring year of his contract.  There is not need to demonize Noah for being a dubious signing, nor to bite our fucking nose to spite our face.  Anyway, I am in a distinct minority here, but I would love to see Mitchell Robinson have the benefit of Noah leaning on his ass in practice for one full season, and mentoring him in the finer MENTAL ASPECTS of being a defensive presence above and beyond his palpable athletic gifts, much as Kevin Knox can only benefit from career role-player/defensive stalwart Lance Thomas showing the uber-talented big wing how to make an enduring impact as something more than an offensive weapon, but as a fully rounded, multi-dimensional leader. 
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 06:40:08 PM by chipstern »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 05, 2018, 06:47:22 PM »

"We can always stretch him......"

Ahhhhm fuck - you lost me there, pal.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 05, 2018, 07:19:27 PM »

From little snips of video, it looks like Noah is adjusting his approach by developing something like a basketball player’s jump shot.

I’m getting used to the idea that at this point, we cut Baker, add Kadeem Allen to the D-League and go to war.

Kanter Kornet Noah KP
Vonleh Thomas Mitchell
Knox Hezonja
Hardaway Lee Dotson
Ntilikina Burke Mudiay

Hicks Trier, one at at time till KP is healthy.

Richard P. Feynman

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 05, 2018, 07:43:05 PM »

Noah has one of the stranger jump shots I've ever seen.  Too much palm of his hand; weird reverse rotation. 

I admire Ron Baker, and his work ethic. 

But we are loaded with ball-handler/facilitators (Ntilikina, Mudiay, Burke)

And we are loaded with big and medium sized wings (Hardaway, Lee, Dotson, Trier, Knox, Hezonja]. 

If Noah would ACCEPT a role with the Knicks, for spot minutes in the rotation, based on the expectation that he might often be supplanted by Robinson as the season wore on (the accumulation of fouls factoring in significantly here), and with the expectation that Mitchell could join both Vonleh and Kornet, Hezonja and Thomas in rotations at the four depending on whether we are going big or small, that to me would be a positive. 

Theoretically, Kanter could be part of that scrum at the 4 with Robinson, though he would have to dramatically step up his mid-long range shooting to merit such a role.  Seems counter-productive to me.  Would rather see Kanter AND Noah man the 5, and allow Kornet and Robinson to vector between the 5 spot and the stretch 4 (Robinson HAS jump shooting range). 

I agree with Facil that I should rather see Knox concentrate on the 3-spot until his body matures, adds some muscle mass and lower body strength, and learns the ins and outs of being bodied and physically challenged, as he was in that game against the Lakers.  With time, he will be fine, but in the short term, why feed him to the beasts; plenty of time to man up when he fills out physically.  In the short term, his evolution would seem more along the lines of a wing such as Kevin Durant (we should be so lucky), as opposed to a big like Kevin Garnett or Anthony Davis (who significantly, shares a trainer with Mitchell Robinson, and contributed to his evolution as a workout partner). 

Be curious how Hezonja fits at the 4-spot, and I'll need to be convinced on that front, but he is an older player, who has grown into his adult body, so let him and Lance Thomas absorb the wangs and bangs at the 4, and supplement Knox with Lee, Hardaway and Dotson at the 3. 

Anyway, what, two months till autumn beckons, the dog days of summer give way to the bittersweet colors of autumn, and we can stop speculating as to what we have, and where we are moving going forward. 

My God, an actual-factual rebuild. 

PS: I do hope that Fizdale and Perry are open to the notion of tapping in to the battle tested experience of such Knicks icons as Allan Houston, Charlie Ward, Latrell Sprewell, Walt Frazier, Earl Monroe, Dick Barnett, Bill Bradley, Willis Reed and Larry Johnson.  Not just for nostalgia's sake, but for the sake of identifying those aspects of the game and team play which were best exemplified by our championship teams and those of our perennial contenders.  I regret that Anthony Mason has left the arena, as I should very much have liked for him to have baptized Vonleh, Knox and Hezonja. 
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 07:44:48 PM by chipstern »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 1844