Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 1844

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 899338 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #255 on: August 15, 2018, 03:26:04 PM »

You can plug in various Knix to see their CARMELo projection for the next bunch of years.  It has an O & D +/-, projected $ value.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/carmelo/tim-hardaway-jr/

But what I found most interesting are the player comparisons.

Lance Thomas most matches Ira Newble, with some Damien Wilkins and Jerebko in the mix.

Muddy resembles a slew of players who dropped out of the league quickly:  Telfair, Tate Armstrong, Archie Goodwin, and most closely guys I never heard of: Larry Wright & Winfred Boynes (from 1978-80).

Kanter?  David Lee, Greg Monroe, Chris Wilcox.
His projected value next year is $8M next year, dropping to ... $6M

Jimmer, Telfair, ex-Rutgers John Battle, and N8 Robinson come up as Trey Burke similarities.

Tim?  Wes Person, Tracy Murray, Will Barton and Johnny Newman turn up.  Johnny Newman had a lot of promise, could score, was inconsistent, stopped no one.

Courtly?  Raja Bell

Tim Thomas and Kenny Sky Walker come up as comparisons for Hezonja

Vonleh?
Loy Vaught.  Jordan Hill.  Tyrone Hill.  Projected to have a negative value next year.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 15, 2018, 03:35:40 PM »

Kind of addictive:

Dray Green matches closest to Kirilenko.
Iguodala ~ Ron Harper
Lowry ~ Billups
Saric ~ Kiki Vandeweghe
Etc ...
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 15, 2018, 03:51:44 PM »

Winfred Boynes!!!

Love it.

Nagel

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 15, 2018, 04:03:57 PM »

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24372973/nba-2019-free-agent-predictions-espn-summer-forecast

Irving and Butler would be not only be  logical but fit the pattern of putting together a super team a done previously by Miami or Golden State.  NY is a logical fit a the next location.  NY offered many things outside basketball if the basketball is successful. Madison avenue isn't far away.  Ask Clyde what's it like to win in NY.  ask Joe Namath or Keith Hernandez. 

If they truly want it to happen i believe it can happen.

Irving, Hardaway, Butler, Knox and KP ?  that would be sweet.

fantasy today? no doubt but the has been plenty of smoke in the air about this possibility.

one can only  hope it comes true.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 15, 2018, 04:23:23 PM »

So many options for the cap space - I cant begin to hang hopes on a current Celts player

kiidcarter8

• View Profile

carlos123

• so cute
    • View Profile
Kam the Champion Tank
« Reply #261 on: August 15, 2018, 09:59:28 PM »

One can appreciate BOTH a good effort by kids growing up in the NBA as well as appreciate the forces (internal an external) that land the team in a position to add a sublime talent.

Don't take the tank so personally.  Let its studded wheels roll over your prone squishy body.  And feel the relief.

Brilliant!!!

PLAY HARD. LOSE HARD
"I am your warrior and, if you feel you have been wronged or betrayed, I am your retribution, oh yes, your retribution."
- Putin's bitch at CPAC 2023

"Those Hispanics are funny, and they speak really funny"
- Bo Zizzley&Chip Stern

- Prayers for Chamaco Cartero -

- BAN THE AR15-
- Chamaco Cartero

chipstern

• View Profile
Circular Firing Squad
« Reply #262 on: August 15, 2018, 10:57:15 PM »

One can appreciate BOTH a good effort by kids growing up in the NBA as well as appreciate the forces (internal an external) that land the team in a position to add a sublime talent.

Don't take the tank so personally.  Let its studded wheels roll over your prone squishy body.  And feel the relief.

Brilliant!!!

PLAY HARD. LOSE HARD

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 16, 2018, 02:40:30 AM »

Winfred Boynes!!!
Love it.

Actually I got it wrong, it's Winford Boynes.

Nets drafted Boynes with a 1st round pick they got from the Knix in the Phil Jackson trade.  Knix got a HOU 1st round pick from the NJ Nets, which NY used to draft Michael Ray Richardson.

I'm somewhat surprised I don't recall Boynes.  When the Nets joined the NBA for the 1977 season and moved to Piscataway, they were just 15 minutes away from my home.  My father would drop my brother and me and maybe a friend off at the stadium and we'd just call after the game ended.  Student tickets were I think $2.  Small stadium half full.

I mostly recall the 1977-78 season with Kevin & Howard Porter, rookie Bernard King, SuperJohn Williamson who continued shooting ABA 3-point shots despite no 3 point line, Jan van Bredakoff, Rutgers great Eddie Jordan.

The next year, Nets had Phil and Boynes, and I'm guessing we didn't go to as many games, as that team is less familiar.  Will have to ask my older brother.  And see if he recalls Winford Boynes.

Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 16, 2018, 04:23:30 PM »

The Knicks Wall

Pretty cool site:

Perry was gifted a dumpster fire by Phil Jackson. He doused the flames and put a welcome sign with a David Fizdale fathead smack-dab in the middle. Mario Hezonja busted through the door like Kramer from Seinfeld in order to sign up. The details of Hezonja’s rumored offer from the Portland Trail Blazers hasn’t come out yet, but the fact that he declined a multi-year opportunity to sign a one-year contract with the Knicks is imperative to Perry’s narrative.

With that seemingly meaningless signing on the tiny desk, Perry and company tasted a bit of what they need in order to land their muse in 2019: desire. Hezonja’s desire to play for New York is rooted in two areas: self-actualization and culture.

The first part of Hezonja’s desire that Perry pinpointed was self-actualization. Self-actualization includes growth and reaching one’s ideal self, things Hezonja obviously craves after a disappointing start in the NBA. He still wishes to live up to the “Croatian Kobe” image he cultivated before the draft. Whatever the Blazers offered him wasn’t enough, whether it in terms of finances or his role on the team didn’t adequately feed his ego. A one-year deal where Fizdale said, “You keep what you kill”, is the exact situation that Hezonja, who was buried on Orlando’s bench at one point last season, desires. New York is offering him a shot at proving he’s worth the money he believes he deserves.

Culture, the second part of Hezonja’s decision, begins with Perry, one of the front office executives responsible for drafting Hezonja. Perry approached him after both have had multiple years of separation, with amicable yet less than favorable exits from the Magic organization, at least from their side of the table. And the culture aspect closes the deal with the sweetener the Knicks have locked up for the next four seasons: David Fizdale

Fizdale’s promise of a run & gun coaching style was part of the pitch that enamored Hezonja when it came to his duties on the court. A modern offense is a great look, and it goes hand-in-hand with Perry’s management philosophy on signings—Fizdale is as player-friendly as they come. In the immediate aftermath of his firing, a handful of future hall-of-famers tweeted in protest. They’re just tweets, but Perry recognized that when the most high profile ‘Coach Killer’ in the sport comes to your defense, your reputation is so sterling it could polish a turd, and indeed it did.

With ample cap space open for 2019 free agency, and the possibility of even more in 2020, Scott Perry has transformed the Knicks’ reputation from incompetence to growth like an expert manager. On court flubs are no longer mistakes—they’re learning opportunities. Unwanted underperformers aren’t cysts—they’re professionals who deserve to control their own destinies (ie: the nicest way to say GTFO). Over the past year, Perry hasn’t just given the Knicks a makeover with the rebrand; he put them through plastic surgery. His three tenants for favorable trades (modernity, cap flexibility, and player-centricity) combined with his specific criteria for signings, whether they be call ups for players with a chip on their shoulder or enticing free agents with the allure of Fizdale, creates a well-rounded philosophy, especially for a new GM. and a The organization still has a lot of work both on and off the court to complete, but if Perry can make Dolan disappear for a whole season, his next trick should be a doozie.

https://theknickswall.com/the-scott-perry-effect-rebranding-a-broken-knicks-organization/

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 16, 2018, 06:27:36 PM »

The Knicks Wall

Pretty cool site:

Perry was gifted a dumpster fire by Phil Jackson. He doused the flames and put a welcome sign with a David Fizdale fathead smack-dab in the middle. Mario Hezonja busted through the door like Kramer from Seinfeld in order to sign up. The details of Hezonja’s rumored offer from the Portland Trail Blazers hasn’t come out yet, but the fact that he declined a multi-year opportunity to sign a one-year contract with the Knicks is imperative to Perry’s narrative.

With that seemingly meaningless signing on the tiny desk, Perry and company tasted a bit of what they need in order to land their muse in 2019: desire. Hezonja’s desire to play for New York is rooted in two areas: self-actualization and culture.

The first part of Hezonja’s desire that Perry pinpointed was self-actualization. Self-actualization includes growth and reaching one’s ideal self, things Hezonja obviously craves after a disappointing start in the NBA. He still wishes to live up to the “Croatian Kobe” image he cultivated before the draft. Whatever the Blazers offered him wasn’t enough, whether it in terms of finances or his role on the team didn’t adequately feed his ego. A one-year deal where Fizdale said, “You keep what you kill”, is the exact situation that Hezonja, who was buried on Orlando’s bench at one point last season, desires. New York is offering him a shot at proving he’s worth the money he believes he deserves.

Culture, the second part of Hezonja’s decision, begins with Perry, one of the front office executives responsible for drafting Hezonja. Perry approached him after both have had multiple years of separation, with amicable yet less than favorable exits from the Magic organization, at least from their side of the table. And the culture aspect closes the deal with the sweetener the Knicks have locked up for the next four seasons: David Fizdale

Fizdale’s promise of a run & gun coaching style was part of the pitch that enamored Hezonja when it came to his duties on the court. A modern offense is a great look, and it goes hand-in-hand with Perry’s management philosophy on signings—Fizdale is as player-friendly as they come. In the immediate aftermath of his firing, a handful of future hall-of-famers tweeted in protest. They’re just tweets, but Perry recognized that when the most high profile ‘Coach Killer’ in the sport comes to your defense, your reputation is so sterling it could polish a turd, and indeed it did.

With ample cap space open for 2019 free agency, and the possibility of even more in 2020, Scott Perry has transformed the Knicks’ reputation from incompetence to growth like an expert manager. On court flubs are no longer mistakes—they’re learning opportunities. Unwanted underperformers aren’t cysts—they’re professionals who deserve to control their own destinies (ie: the nicest way to say GTFO). Over the past year, Perry hasn’t just given the Knicks a makeover with the rebrand; he put them through plastic surgery. His three tenants for favorable trades (modernity, cap flexibility, and player-centricity) combined with his specific criteria for signings, whether they be call ups for players with a chip on their shoulder or enticing free agents with the allure of Fizdale, creates a well-rounded philosophy, especially for a new GM. and a The organization still has a lot of work both on and off the court to complete, but if Perry can make Dolan disappear for a whole season, his next trick should be a doozie.

https://theknickswall.com/the-scott-perry-effect-rebranding-a-broken-knicks-organization/

Thank you for posting. 

And this is why, I do not look with good humor upon what I take to be a moronic fixation upon tanking or whatever you want to call it, wherein the allure of a lottery pick trumps any other considerations. 

What makes this manifestly stupid POV so appalling to me, is that as far as our future draft position goes, let the chips fall where they may.   

Looking at picks 1-14 in this latest draft, damn near any of the players picked before or after #9, could have made a solid contribution to our roster going forward. 

Perry & Fizdale did their due diligence, and while it is way too early to anoint Kevin Knox, nor to hang the franchise player albatross around his neck, clearly we got a solid all-around talent with good character to develop.  I remember when Trey Burke was having a wonderful run at season's end, and we were winning some meaningless games with good team play and even some defense, members of this forum were bemoaning the loss of prime draft position. 

[Expletive Deleted]

And son-of-a-bitch if we didn't get a prospect with a world of upside at #36. 

As for where we finish the season, I'm for winning as many games as possible, and let the chips fall where they may, as it were. 

Play Hard, Lose Hard.

[Expletive Deleted]

WRONG. 

Develop a winning culture. 

Do any of you simple-minded motherfuckers really think that a 22 win team and a lottery pick is going to have a tremendous appeal to the likes of Kyrie Irving or Jimmy Butler? 

A winning culture is what will cause top tier free agents to smell the coffee and dampen their undies.  And not just a winning culture.  A YOUNG WINNING CULTURE.  A young winning culture in NEW YORK.  A young winning culture in New York with KRISTAPS PORZINGIS as the bell cow. 

Not a fucking lottery pick.  Not draconian Donnie Douche Bite Your Noses To Spite Your Faces cap space self-immolation.  Not sell off your draft picks like every short term thinking, dumb-ass motherfucking Trader Vic in Knicks lore. 

But someone saying, hey [presumably, hopefully, God Willing], "Hey, look what they are building there in NY.  Man, I want a piece of that pussy.  Look at how Fizz matured and ressurected the games of castaways and re-treads like Burke, Mudiay, Herzonja and Vonleh.  Look at how they nurtured pups like Ntilikina, Kornet, Dotson, Knox and Robinson.  Look at how Fizz challenged Kanter and Hardaway to raise their games and how they responded. 

Of course, this is HIGHLY SPECULATIVE. 

And by committing to player development and fostering a winning culture, we are going to lose a lot of games. 

So no, I am not so stoned as to think we are a playoff team, but then, WHY THE FUCK NOT? 

Unlike doofusses who give the thumbs down to draft selections such as Porzingis and Knox, or who see sugarplum fairies in losses ("Keep 'em coming"), players playing for their NBA lives, players playing for a Coach like Pat Riley, like Brad Stevens, like David Fizdale, buy into the system, the concept of team play, a commitment to defense, and a passion for winning.  THEY HATE TO FUCKING LOSE. 

We have a lot of raw young talent on this team.  Very raw.  We have some big time talent (go ahead and laugh) in the likes of Enes and Timmy, that are just crying out for tough love and positive reinforcement, raising the bar for them to raise their game. 

New York wants a team to root for, a culture to finally believe in. 

Defense?  Look for the open man?  That's New York hoops is all about. 

Play Hard.  Compete Hard.  Leave It All On The Floor
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 06:34:28 PM by chipstern »

Nagel

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 16, 2018, 07:47:09 PM »

to me the light can now be seen at the end of the tunnel.  KP and Knox are young and will attract a type A free agent. next year.

two would be ideal.

carlos123

• so cute
    • View Profile
FEEL THE RELIEF
« Reply #267 on: August 16, 2018, 10:14:00 PM »

I do not look with good humor upon what I take to be a moronic fixation upon tanking or whatever you want to call it, wherein the allure of a lottery pick trumps any other considerations. 

What makes this manifestly stupid POV so appalling to me, is that as far as our future draft position goes, let the chips fall where they may.   

Looking at picks 1-14 in this latest draft, damn near any of the players picked before or after #9, could have made a solid contribution to our roster going forward. 

While I'm very happy with the Knox pick, I would have been much happier with Doncic. Time will tell.

"Don't take the tank so personally.  Let its studded wheels roll over your prone squishy body.  And feel the relief."
Kam the Champion Tank

PLAY HARD. LOSE HARD
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 10:33:18 PM by carlos123 »
"I am your warrior and, if you feel you have been wronged or betrayed, I am your retribution, oh yes, your retribution."
- Putin's bitch at CPAC 2023

"Those Hispanics are funny, and they speak really funny"
- Bo Zizzley&Chip Stern

- Prayers for Chamaco Cartero -

- BAN THE AR15-
- Chamaco Cartero

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 17, 2018, 01:04:03 AM »

Hope those tanks had a/c and a good stereo system.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 17, 2018, 03:53:12 AM »

I think you’d have to trick them out yourself, Bo.

Speaking of tricks, I’m ready for some more summer runs videos to over analyze.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 1844