Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 1847

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 907626 times)

chipstern

• View Profile
Saquon Barkley
« Reply #525 on: September 09, 2018, 11:02:45 PM »

Watching the Giant play their season opener, they were competitive against a clearly better, more in-sync team. 

You could see burps and brain farts, failures to execute, the lack of chemistry, make that the lack of CONSISTENT CHEMISTRY which comes from playing together, lots of reps. 

Think Knicks...top-to-bottom rebuild, trying to cement an identity on both offense and defense. 

As with the Knicks, patience...learning from mistakes...remain patient and don't deviate from the plan.  The team had plenty of positive moments to go with all the stumbles. 

Having said that, I was always very, very strongly in favor of drafting Barkley at #2.  Darnold is going to be one hell of a quarter back for the Jets, but I perceived Barkley to be a very special back.  VERY SPECIAL.  What Giant brass characterized as once in a lifetime...okay, maybe once in a generation. Not making myself to a seer here, but I have fallen out of favor with the modern pro game, because they have in large part gone away from the running game.  Jaguars had an excellent running game, are committed to an equal number of runs to passes, and it enables them to control the ball and string together drives (having said that, they won on a turnover, a tipped pass and runback, so a solid, coherent defense as well). 

Well, #2 pick in the 2018 NFL draft took his lumps today, discovering unlike the collegiate level, you can't make something out of nothing just on sheer talent.  Dropped some passes, got stuffed at the line, was unable to routinely turn the corner...however. 

Saquon Barkley's first touchdown as a pro was one of the most electrifying runs I have EVER seen in 50 years of watching pro football.  OLD SCHOOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8PNljeoYVQ

The offensive line finally gave him a hint of daylight; he burst forward into a breach within the defensive line, stopped on a dime and executed a decisive horizontal side step, a la Sayers & Sanders, turned one tackler completely around, made the next defender eat his dust in fending off an arm tackle, picked up speed breaking round end and along the sidelines as he went vertical, accelerating by a pair of defenders trying to disengage through a downfield block, stiff arming a tackler as he zoomed by, absorbing a glancing hit meant to knock him out of bounds, as he did some ballerina toe stepping along the sidelines, regaining his balance and forward momentum, shifting into his Secretariat gear as he pulled away from the final tackler, something of a speedster, but not speedster enough. 

Breathtaking.  I was screaming out loud, and I haven't given a damn about pro football in a while, but Saquon Barkley?  A throwback running back with size and speed, jukes and toughness.  Too soon to christen him as a bigger version of Barry Sanders, or to invoke the names of similarly sized and high velocity backs such as Eric Dickerson or Bo Jackson, but the strength the body the motor and the WILL are all there. 
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 11:05:57 PM by chipstern »

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #526 on: September 10, 2018, 04:17:17 PM »

I'm not quite sure signing a guy Ainge cut, is theft.

Its like grabbing a bag of trash left on the curb Sunday night, for pick-up by DPW Monday morning.

But if you have fun stealin' trash bags, so be it.

Auerbach?

Glad Auerbach came to his senses and put anger away.

Besides you guys had your Red, Celt's had their's.

And Auerbach could never find a good Chinese food in NYC.

Weak Partisan Poppycock

Quite weak.  Was not Jeremy Lin Houston's trash bag the Knicks scooped up - causing Daryl Morey so much heartburn he forked over nearly $50 million to get him back?

One man's trash can become that same man's regret.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #527 on: September 10, 2018, 04:35:35 PM »

25 mil.

Lin hadnt yet played for HOU, was just with them in preseason before joining NY.  His first team was Golden State.

I dont think HOU ended up paying the last 15 mil of Lin's deal.  They dealt him to LA.  Good business.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #528 on: September 10, 2018, 04:46:32 PM »

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: September 10, 2018, 05:34:13 PM »

Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: September 10, 2018, 05:58:34 PM »

Trade (not mine)

https://twitter.com/NewEraKnicks/status/1039251949319794688

Thoughts?

That trade is almost the exact opposite of what we want to do. Dieng is the spiritual equivalent of Tim Hardaway, but at forward, in term of talent v. Contract. You can’t have “can he help you win?” questions about a 25 million per year player like Wiggins. His deal runs 3 more years like Hardaway and Dieng, a year longer than Noah.

No thanks to bailing Minny out.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #531 on: September 10, 2018, 07:45:22 PM »

We could use the big, but I think Wiggins is the key guy in the deal.

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #532 on: September 10, 2018, 08:38:59 PM »

We could use the big, but I think Wiggins is the key guy in the deal.

No Sale.

No thanks to bailing Minny out. 

Perhaps Wiggins is chafing under the whip of Coach Thibs, but he seems oddly unmotivated last season, and Jimmy Butler is apparently not a fan.  He took a pretty significant backwards step last season, such as significant drops in FTA and FT%.  A good player, a nicely skilled player, but not a drop dead shooter or aggressive rebounder.  Oh, and 25-27-29 million a year through 2020-21?  Why? 

PS: You seem to be dismissing, well, overlooking, the presence of this Kevin Knox fellow who just showed up under the Xmas Tree at Small Forward.  Are you projecting Wiggins as a big wing SG?  Or demonstrably more upside than Knox?  And Dieng?  We get rid of Noah to add a player with an extra year at comparable money?  We need bigs?  We presently have Kanter, Noah, Kornet and Robinson (who you apparently think is a mirage).  And this Porzingis fellow is slated to return at some point. 
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 08:55:58 PM by chipstern »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #533 on: September 10, 2018, 08:52:33 PM »

Who are you talking to?

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #534 on: September 10, 2018, 08:59:20 PM »

Whosoever is advocating for this trade. 

Someone was running it up the flag pole to see if anyone lurking about might salute.  Not you?  Might want to check in with the administrator and make it plain that there is only room for one Kiid on this forum. 

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #535 on: September 10, 2018, 10:35:23 PM »

Are you a fucking moron?  It was a tweet.  The author is right on it.

I asked for opinions.  Didnt give one.  So, address your opinion to the masses.

I think Wiggins can play - and yeah...

a)  He had a down year, last year of his rook deal.  Cant imagine he looks like a 30 mil guy in the near future.
b)  We will likely just keep our cap space since we COVET certain talent.  Dont want to take ourselves out of the running for the best of the best.

If we did the deal, are there positives?

Yes.  Front line would be quite good, I believe.  And we still have Lee to play the 2.

But I appreciate as always your backing of THJ. 

chipstern

• View Profile
Timmy & Enes & Emmanuel & Kevin & Mario & Frank
« Reply #536 on: September 10, 2018, 10:44:49 PM »

Yes, I am down with Timmy.  I think he is primed to have a career year.  The first month or two of last year, when both he and KP were clicking, we were a playoff team, until the God of Injuries intervened. 

Now if Enes and Emmanuel do likewise, and Kevin, Mario and Frank bring it, we could have an interesting team. 

I am sure the Wolves have yet to give up on Wiggins, but likely are entertaining inquiries. 

Thibs has to be flexible and find a comfort zone for him.  Third option behind Butler and Towns doesn't quite do it. 

Simmons and Embid in Philly is a nice template. 

PS: By the way, I'm not a fucking moron, but thank you for asking anyway. 
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 10:50:25 PM by chipstern »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #537 on: September 10, 2018, 10:55:09 PM »

Wigs is their Otto Porter

Pretty good team over there

kiidcarter8

• View Profile

carlos123

• so cute
    • View Profile
Double-i chiico tries to quote somebody
« Reply #539 on: September 11, 2018, 12:42:37 AM »

Are you a fucking moron? 

“He’s a fucking moron.”
Rex Tillerson

But Rex was no referring to Chip. Now, was he chiico?
"I am your warrior and, if you feel you have been wronged or betrayed, I am your retribution, oh yes, your retribution."
- Putin's bitch at CPAC 2023

"Those Hispanics are funny, and they speak really funny"
- Bo Zizzley&Chip Stern

- Prayers for Chamaco Cartero -

- BAN THE AR15-
- Chamaco Cartero
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 1847