Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 1842

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 897774 times)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #780 on: September 24, 2018, 08:45:54 AM »

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #781 on: September 24, 2018, 08:47:56 AM »

The former GM believes the NBA should get rid of no-trade clauses, explaining that they are too player-friendly. He also believes trade kickers, which bump up a player’s pay by a certain percentage in the event of a deal, can sometimes be viewed as an incentive for a player to push for a trade rather what it was originally intended to be – a clause that gives them peace of mind that they won’t be dealt.

“It’s an absolutely criminal advantage in the favor of the player. If you give a player a no-trade clause, they have you by the balls,” the former GM said. “They can do whatever the f**k they want and there’s nothing you can do to force that player into listening to you or doing what you need him to do. And if they aren’t happy, they can hold a gun to your head and say, ‘I’ll only accept a trade to this one team,’ and you’re going to get pennies on the dollar. I don’t understand why owners ever agree to it. How much sense does it make to give that to a guy? Most of the really good players make more money if they’re traded because they have a big trade kicker, so they have an incentive to want a trade! Another team can give them even more money and handle all the relocation costs and kiss their a** – they’ll be completely coddled. Some teams do things that are totally against the rules like give the guy way more flights than he can get and fly the players’ family out private… They’re going to have their a** kissed to such an amazing degree that being traded isn’t a big deal for those superstar players. It’s a big deal for a minimum player, it’s a big deal for a lot of players, but not them. It’s almost the dream scenario for some guys, and the organization is getting absolutely f****d in the deal, which is why you can’t put yourself in that situation! The no-trade clause is the dumbest clause that exists in any deal. It’s the only clause where the player can do anything and the organization can just be completely screwed over.

When asked about no-trade clauses, agents acknowledged that they’ve become nearly impossible to land – even for the biggest of superstars.

“You’re never going to get a no-trade clause,” one agent said. “You can try – a handful of guys have gotten one – but you probably aren’t getting it. Everyone would love to have one, though.”

So Phil gave Melo the last no-trade clause ever.
(I'm kidding -- likely AD or Antetekounmpo or KD will get one if they press for it).
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #782 on: September 24, 2018, 08:53:11 AM »

chipstern

• View Profile
Douche
« Reply #783 on: September 24, 2018, 09:31:50 AM »

Butler had his own double standard.

Privately and publicly he occasionally roasted both Wiggins and Towns for their shoddy defensive effort and acumen.

But the most consequentially bad defender on the Wolves, by far, last season was Jamal Crawford, the sixth man who played 42 percent of his team’s minutes and compiled a defensive rating of 112.9 points allowed per 100 possessions. Phoenix finished last in team defensive efficiency allowing 110.6 points per 100 possessions. Towns and Wiggins both had a defensive rating of 107.7 points allowed per 100 possessions.

But Butler never felt the need to criticize Crawford, who also had a higher usage rate on offense than anyone on the Wolves but Butler and another ex-Bull, Derrick Rose. –  via The Athletic

Relative to his production, Towns was woefully underutilized in the offense last season.
Among the top 25 scorers in the NBA (KAT was 24th), only Stephen Curry had a higher true shooting percentage. None of them averaged fewer field-goal attempts per game than Towns at 14.3, down from 18 attempts the previous season. –  via The Athletic

Thank GOD, we didn't sign Thibs as our coach.  For all of his much-vaunted defensive acumen, he tends to burn players out in short rotations, is an offensive stick in the mud, and something of a douche, not unlike purported franchise player Butler.

lesterluv

• Burgers are tasty, but I love steak!
    • View Profile
Re: Douche
« Reply #784 on: September 24, 2018, 09:48:49 AM »

Butler had his own double standard.

Privately and publicly he occasionally roasted both Wiggins and Towns for their shoddy defensive effort and acumen.

But the most consequentially bad defender on the Wolves, by far, last season was Jamal Crawford ...

Well, not so sure he would have gotten too far with Jamal. I didn't cry when we dumped him cause it was honestly way too painful to watch him on the other side of the court anymore, as bad as it gets. Harden-laughable bad. But if Jamal couldn't bring it at 25, don't think he was going to at 38! Far more important to instill some fight in your young dogs...
*** Mike Byrd said, Would that be Ashli, Ashley or Ashlee? Can never be sure with you white trash types." BAM!***

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #785 on: September 24, 2018, 10:56:19 AM »

You know Craw isn't going to stop anybody.  That's part of his package. And he was 38 to boot.  And a $4M investment.

But Wiggins is young, athletic and earning $25M ($6M more than Butler).  Towns = young, athletic, #1 overall pick, set to cash in Big.

I wouldn't equate the situations.

Wig and KAT were starters.  And if they could score in the clutch, MINN wouldn't have needed much Craw.  And if they could defend, Wolves would have been a much better team.
Not to excuse Butler being a jerk about it.

Craw one of my least favorite Knicks.  A chucker who didn't play D at all.  And then pouted when asked to come off the bench.  Which proved to be his best role.  A bench light'em scorer.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #786 on: September 24, 2018, 11:14:06 AM »

Crawford Trivia:

1) What's his actual first name?

2) He's journeyed to 7 different teams.
Which did he play with the longest?
2nd longest?
3rd?

Craw has an ability to get off his shot, is willing to take tough shots, and can make tough shots.
But his career = 41% FG and 35% on 3's.
Very average for a shooter (and guy who didn't play D).
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Jamal
« Reply #787 on: September 24, 2018, 01:26:08 PM »

J-Crossover isn't just a shooter.

He added a unique "and-1" dribble style to the NBA that everyone has copied.

He is Bo's least favorite knick
(a bizarre claim)

but my most favorite ex-knick still playing in the NBA

He leads everyone in 4 point plays ever

He has managed to stick around as long as he has

He still looks 25

He made the pass to yourself off the backboard a thing.

There would be no KD without JC

he changed the game man
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #788 on: September 24, 2018, 02:45:29 PM »

The former GM believes the NBA should get rid of no-trade clauses, explaining that they are too player-friendly. He also believes trade kickers, which bump up a player’s pay by a certain percentage in the event of a deal, can sometimes be viewed as an incentive for a player to push for a trade rather what it was originally intended to be – a clause that gives them peace of mind that they won’t be dealt.

“It’s an absolutely criminal advantage in the favor of the player. If you give a player a no-trade clause, they have you by the balls,” the former GM said. “They can do whatever the f**k they want and there’s nothing you can do to force that player into listening to you or doing what you need him to do. And if they aren’t happy, they can hold a gun to your head and say, ‘I’ll only accept a trade to this one team,’ and you’re going to get pennies on the dollar. I don’t understand why owners ever agree to it. How much sense does it make to give that to a guy? Most of the really good players make more money if they’re traded because they have a big trade kicker, so they have an incentive to want a trade! Another team can give them even more money and handle all the relocation costs and kiss their a** – they’ll be completely coddled. Some teams do things that are totally against the rules like give the guy way more flights than he can get and fly the players’ family out private… They’re going to have their a** kissed to such an amazing degree that being traded isn’t a big deal for those superstar players. It’s a big deal for a minimum player, it’s a big deal for a lot of players, but not them. It’s almost the dream scenario for some guys, and the organization is getting absolutely f****d in the deal, which is why you can’t put yourself in that situation! The no-trade clause is the dumbest clause that exists in any deal. It’s the only clause where the player can do anything and the organization can just be completely screwed over.

When asked about no-trade clauses, agents acknowledged that they’ve become nearly impossible to land – even for the biggest of superstars.

“You’re never going to get a no-trade clause,” one agent said. “You can try – a handful of guys have gotten one – but you probably aren’t getting it. Everyone would love to have one, though.”

So Phil gave Melo the last no-trade clause ever.
(I'm kidding -- likely AD or Antetekounmpo or KD will get one if they press for it).

Irving had a no-trade

He waived it

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #789 on: September 24, 2018, 02:48:45 PM »

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #790 on: September 24, 2018, 03:50:56 PM »

Eddy Curry, Jerome James and Pat Cummings were runners-up.

Most of what you credit him with seems like it was already around.
Jason Williams, Rafer Alston, Iverson, etc.
I don't recall Craw doing a backboard self-pass.  I do remember McGrady making it a thing.

What I will give Craw credit for is being an integral part of the Seattle area hoops network, where guys really look after each other.  Some recent rook said he stayed over at Craw's house a bunch during a high school Summer.  Fultz, maybe?
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #791 on: September 24, 2018, 05:02:30 PM »

https://www.postingandtoasting.com/2018/9/21/17889392/the-knicks-signed-forward-jeff-coby-to-a-training-camp-deal

Jeff Coby.  Columbia guy.  Interesting.

https://www.northjersey.com/story/sports/nba/knicks/2018/09/19/new-york-knicks-sign-tyrius-walker/1357634002/

Tyrius Walker

6'1" Morehouse State point guard who made a positive impression on Knicks during summer league.

yeah -  not as interesting
w
r
o
n
g

Kid is a leader, a winner, the purest, most natural rudder on the 20 man roster. 

Westchester bound.  But a great stash.  Four year Point. 

Your snark has been duly noted. 

chipstern

• View Profile
Breakthrough Year A-Coming
« Reply #792 on: September 24, 2018, 05:10:58 PM »

Enough males in the Ball Family. 

Could use a few men. 

Mike Trudell: Lonzo on becoming a father over the summer: “You gotta think about a whole other human being. When she was born, that changed my view on everything.”  –  via Twitter LakersReporter

Between his little girl, Rondo & LeBron, Lonzo has a nurturing posse of maternal wisdom to bond with. 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 05:12:38 PM by chipstern »

Nagel

• View Profile
« Reply #793 on: September 24, 2018, 05:38:16 PM »

wonder if anyone actually asked Noah if he would be fine simply being a mentor to robinson.  getting a few minutes here and there.

did they even talk to him?  some of you are assuming he would of been a problem.

i don't see that.  he had a better chance to teaching ROBINSON WHAT IT TAKES TO BE AN NBA PLAYER THAN EK DOES.

THAT IS MY TAKE.

doesn't matter.

i'm not a fan of our president.  Perry and Fizdale seem to be saying the right things but the Hardaway/Baker signings leave me cold.  overpay on both to me.

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #794 on: September 24, 2018, 06:32:36 PM »

wonder if anyone actually asked Noah if he would be fine simply being a mentor to robinson.  getting a few minutes here and there.

did they even talk to him?  some of you are assuming he would of been a problem.

i don't see that.  he had a better chance to teaching ROBINSON WHAT IT TAKES TO BE AN NBA PLAYER THAN EK DOES.

THAT IS MY TAKE.

doesn't matter.

i'm not a fan of our president.  Perry and Fizdale seem to be saying the right things but the Hardaway/Baker signings leave me cold.  overpay on both to me.

As it so happens...

Perry talked to Noah earlier this summer, and THEY agreed that a mentor role was not something that work for him, as he needed a commitment to playing time that was not going to be forthcoming. 

And Christ almighty, Hardaway and Baker.  This is what keeps you fucking awake at night? 

Are you still upset about Stevenson getting pummeled by Eisenhower? 

PS: And Kanter has PLENTY to convey to Mitchell Robinson. 
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 1842