Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 1844

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 899277 times)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #930 on: October 02, 2018, 11:03:25 PM »

Good to have ya back, Pharoah

What's a crazy pass out?

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #931 on: October 03, 2018, 12:00:08 AM »

"(Ron Baker) usually has the least amount of talent on the floor."

Well..... he is white.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #932 on: October 03, 2018, 02:25:15 AM »

Ron Baker has a solid all-around game.
Nothing stands out, but no great flaws either.
I like his hustle and smarts.

As for Tim, some guys develop late.  Usually at PG and C which have extra responsibilities.  But wings tend to find their groove relatively early and stick with it.  Except for those guys you can see improving every year with a definite upward trajectory. There are probably exceptions.

Tim really needs to expand his game (he's shown flashes) and develop consistency.  I'm concerned he's going to be 26 then 28 then 30 and still erratic.  Needs to stay healthy too.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

lesterluv

• Burgers are tasty, but I love steak!
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: October 03, 2018, 09:25:52 AM »

As for Tim, some guys develop late.  Usually at PG and C which have extra responsibilities.  But wings tend to find their groove relatively early and stick with it.  Except for those guys you can see improving every year with a definite upward trajectory. There are probably exceptions.

Tim really needs to expand his game (he's shown flashes) and develop consistency.  I'm concerned he's going to be 26 then 28 then 30 and still erratic.  Needs to stay healthy too.

Really at this point, signs point toward a J.R.-lite. Not crazy, but erratic and insecure with flashes of the good stuff, much less talented than J.R. however. He may surprise us and mature, may produce at some point if surrounded by strong leadership on the floor (we don't have that now), but whoever posited him this summer as potential leader himself for the younger players was out of his f'n head.
*** Mike Byrd said, Would that be Ashli, Ashley or Ashlee? Can never be sure with you white trash types." BAM!***

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #934 on: October 03, 2018, 09:34:36 AM »

Trying to ignore the incessant knocking of Hardaway

Last year when THJ had the awesome ten, fifteen game run you were mostly silent.

heh

Simply stated - Hardaway does things on the court that coaches look for.

Quick first step, beat a man - score or  pass off, start the ball rotation for the open J

Advance the ball quickly, leading to a quick opp.

Get in the passing lane, muck up an opponent's set, even if not done 100% technically proper

And yes - VOLUME score.

NONE of this other than the points per minute is statline stuff.

But go ahead - focus on the shooting % and call Tim a  "poor defender" all year.  Its cool.  Its now expected of you

Even when his % gets well above acceptable levels and he is (easily) in the top 40 in league scoring you will be calling him out for his contract or some other crap.

Oh well, just another year on the forum.  Tell me again about Frank's long arms.  (oy)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #935 on: October 03, 2018, 09:43:45 AM »

Between Oct. 29 and Jan. 30, Hardaway averaged 19.2 points, 4.6 rebounds, 3.2 assists, 1.4 steals, and 2.6 three-point field goals made on a slash line of .456/.363/.802.

In the 21 games that followed Hardaway’s early February woes, he averaged 19.7 points on a slash line of .448/.338/.891.

If one combines those 46 games, Hardaway averaged 19.5 points, 4.2 rebounds, 2.9 assists, 1.2 steals, and 2.6 three-point field goals made on a slash line of .452/.351/.839. Those averages would certainly warrant the contract he was given, or at least something close to it.

https://dailyknicks.com/2018/07/24/new-york-knicks-quick-write-tim-hardaway-jr/

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #936 on: October 03, 2018, 09:55:39 AM »

Lakers chose WAGNER over Mitchell Robinson

"I didn't even know there was a Mitchell on their team," Morris said. “He’s a stupid-ass rookie talking too much... I'm supposed to be a bigger person, but what he said crossed the line as a man."

May be why.  And why Mitch didnt want to go to college, where you are expected to behave.

Character, young fellows.

Knicks got their athlete.  But.........CHARACTER counts - and I am not even willing to call this a work in progress.  I think many teams may have passed because of this.

Isaac BONGA  sure looks good about now.....as does Chimeze Metu

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #937 on: October 03, 2018, 10:09:49 AM »

Really at this point, signs point toward a J.R.-lite. Not crazy, but erratic and insecure with flashes of the good stuff, much less talented than J.R. however. He may surprise us and mature, may produce at some point if surrounded by strong leadership on the floor (we don't have that now), but whoever posited him this summer as potential leader himself for the younger players was out of his f'n head.

Not too many true "leaders" in this sport, Les.  Tim's gonna play hard, produce.   Others have to take care of their own shit.  If his effort rubs off.......... hell - the young guys should be giving effort anyway.  Not sure what it is you want to be taught.  How to dress on the road, maybe?

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #938 on: October 03, 2018, 10:37:24 AM »

Who made a higher percentage of 2-point shots last year -

Tim Hardaway Jr or Jayson Tatum?

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: October 03, 2018, 11:14:32 AM »

Mario could take Hardaway’s starting spot by the end of preseason. Dotson could as well, though that seems less likely.

Kanter, Thomas, and Knox are far along in locking up starting spots. The backcourt right now seems more up for grabs.

Character is a big reason why MitchRob will be our long term starter along side KP, displacing Kanter.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

lesterluv

• Burgers are tasty, but I love steak!
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: October 03, 2018, 11:20:36 AM »

Not too many true "leaders" in this sport, Les.  Tim's gonna play hard, produce.   Others have to take care of their own shit.  If his effort rubs off.......... hell - the young guys should be giving effort anyway.  Not sure what it is you want to be taught.  How to dress on the road, maybe?

I'm not saying he's formed, but stating honestly what I see before my eyes. Hints of a leaky head, but no definitive proof. Two times in his career he's begun to face real NBA pressure — Hawks playoffs and Knicks scramble for the playoffs last year, he's disappeared — That is WAY TOO SHORT to be called a track record, and I am by no means predicting. He's had some good stretches. He needs a good season. Love to see him have one.
*** Mike Byrd said, Would that be Ashli, Ashley or Ashlee? Can never be sure with you white trash types." BAM!***

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: October 03, 2018, 12:33:19 PM »

Hardaway won’t stop a team from treading water. He might even be a slightly above average player. Nothing wrong with Tim as long as you keep your expectations low.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

chipstern

• View Profile
Kiid
« Reply #942 on: October 03, 2018, 12:37:48 PM »

I found your breakdown of Timmy compelling.

I found your dismissal of Robinson.  BIZARRE. 

Were we watching the same game? 

Character? 

Whatever Robinson said to upset MM, in the end, he responded to Morris' schoolyard taunts by walking away.  MM got tossed.  Very mature. 

But then, we have a standing watch, do we not, in which you are well documented as pooh-poohing forum enthusiasm for our bean pole, having asserted as to how Robinson was headed for G-League, right? 

Wagner was a nice collegiate.  I liked him. 

Think the Lakers might want a Mulligan? 

We shall see. 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 12:41:38 PM by chipstern »

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #943 on: October 03, 2018, 12:42:23 PM »

If one combines those 46 games, Hardaway averaged 19.5 points, 4.2 rebounds, 2.9 assists, 1.2 steals, and 2.6 three-point field goals made on a slash line of .452/.351/.839. Those averages would certainly warrant the contract he was given, or at least something close to it.

So for half a season he was almost an average 3-point shooter.
(I think league average is up to 36% now).
And that's supposed to be his strength.
So I guess he earned half his salary ...

Really if his shot selection improved, his %'s would be up, probably his confidence too.  He is streaky and can get hot.  But it doesn't last.  He's also equally slump prone.  A legit PG that could help Tim's game. 

If Tim's going to make any strides, this year and next are crucial.  Funny, I also had a JEarl comparison in my head but decided not to stir things up by typing it out.  Probably he's just best as a 3rd option (or a bench Lou Williams/Craw type role). 

Otherwise, I'll have to keep an eye out for how meaningful his boards and assists are.  And look for him busting up set plays with his defensive acumen.  Hopefully he stops getting beat on backdoor baseline cuts this year.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

thebizneverloses

• View Profile
« Reply #944 on: October 03, 2018, 01:45:49 PM »

Hardaway's biggest problem, going back to Michigan, has been consistency. He'll give you months, he'll give you bad ones. Not games, months.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 1844