Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 1847

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 910798 times)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #1035 on: October 08, 2018, 10:24:12 AM »

Klay Thompson is just 6 months younger than Jimmy Butler

Klay Thompson PER

2014    20.8
2015    18.6
2016    17.4
2017    16.1

Klay Thompson is a great shooter.  Knicks have long needed one and he'd be a pretty nice addition.

Any conversation saying he is close to a Jimmy Butler as a prospective eastern conference top dog is ridiculous.

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: October 08, 2018, 10:51:52 AM »

Wait.

So now Jimmy Biutler isn't worth pursuing if we are giving up NOTHING?

Right.  Got it.

$40 Million Per X Over Five Years?  THAT AIN'T NOTHING

That's KEVIN DURANT Money.  KAWHI LEONARD Money.  Players with championship rings

Are you going to front and pretend that Jimmy Butler is that kind of team changer.  You, the handicapper who declared that 25 Million would be irresponsible for Klay Thompson.

Notice all of the teams lining up to surrender serious assets for Butler

Don't Bogart that joint my friend.

Butler will prove/disprove that he is worth those bucks by his (continued great or declining) play in 2018-19.

He's on the clock.

But at issue is that you dont feel signing top free agents is wise - after all this incessant talk of clearing room for two "max" players.

That the Knicks would really be in position to clear such room, then TURN DOWN such player is a bit ridiculous.

"Jimmy Butler is NOT a max player based on current NBA valuation methods" can be discussed.  Discuss away.  But its tough when all you have is age and some mangled version of "he is not a good teammate" as neg factors.

Your factoring in "teams not lining up" when

a)  they did

and

b)  he has just the one year left

is silly.

That there were even multiple suitors in such a scenario shows the player's high value.

**Latest is Wolves and Heat have suspended talks - this due to Thibs demands (wanted to rework parameters).  Current coach values this player so highly that he would rather walk away with nothing for next year than up this year's win potential.

A) Signing top free agents pre supposes what CONSTITUES a top tier free agent.  Depends on the player, depends on the team, depends on the match.  Butler wants what Butler wants, which is a max deal for five years.  By training camp 2019, he will be 30.  Kawhi, on the other hand, speaking of someone with who I had issues as per how he leveraged his team to get out of Dodge, will be 28.  Multiple teams vying for someone's services indicated perceived value, and Butler most certainly has that,  However, looking at the last free agents we signed (Stoudamire, Anthony, Lopez, Noah, Lee, Hardaway), gives one pause.  The commitment we made to Anthony in particular, locked the team into an arrangement which did not lift the team up, but pulled it down, and we found ourselves with a declining market for a talented player on the downside of a fine career with a no-trade clause, compliments of Phool Of Himself Jackass.  I can recall you in particular, making an argument as to how Ryan Anderson was a good return, locking us into a one-dimensional player for years to come.  Jimmy Butler is significant talent, true, but one who will be 30 come the 2019 season, which in and of itself is not a negative.  LOCKING OUR TEAM INTO THIS MOTHERFUCKER AS OUR BELL COW FOR THE NEXT FIVE YEARS?  Now that seems rather dubious, especially considering how many young, maturing and up and coming wings we already have, such as Timmy, Frank, Allonzo and Demeyan. 

B) Now if we were talking Kyrie Irving, a top-tier talent, representing a need at PG, well, then a scenario in which you back up the Brinks Truck makes some sense.  Will be 27 next season, entering his prime, not exiting it.

C) Again, one needs to think long and hard about making a long term commitment to a max free agent.  And there is no NEED to accumulate cap space just to wily nilly use it.  Would I use it if we had a legit shot at Durant or Leonard.  YES I WOULD.  They are difference makers.  You perceive Butler as a difference maker at THAT LEVEL.  Well, we part company on THAT. 

D) As for me being an idiot, asked and answered.  I have been a Knicks fan since 1961, and I have seen this team lurch from one short term solution after another.  Those great Knicks teams that competed for championships from 68-75, certainly made significant inroads with trades, such as Bellamy-Komives/DeBussherre, Riordan-Stallworth/Monroe, Cazzie/Lucas, but many of the most critical elements, such as Van Arsdale, Cazzie, Bradley, Reed, Jackson, Frazier, arrived via the draft.  A patient approach, and when we'd had time to identify areas of need and chemistry issues, we pulled the trigger on the DeBussherre trade, and it is worth remembering that, Bellamy was a Hall Of Famer, Komives was our starting PG.  Trading Bells allowed Reed to slide over from PF to center, while trading Komives opened the door for Clyde at PG.  CHEMISTRY. 

E) My caution about Butler is based on what we have, what we need, and how we are going to move forward...is Butler really the ideal fit, the titular leader, the man you give all of that hard earned cap space to?  Worthy of consideration?  Possibly, but again, someone who will be 35 at the end of his contract, and who has had injury issues?  Nice tits, but can he cook?

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: October 08, 2018, 11:44:39 AM »

"Locking ourselves into this ****** ****** for the next 5 years - now that would be dubious"

You give no valid reasoning for this.

And stay away from using Kawhi.  He isnt coming to NY and you know it. 

You have to do the dance with the WILLING in free agency.  Thus far we know KANTER to be willing.  And BUTLER.  And know Kawhi to not be - Kyrie at least for now postured up as a NO as well (though I could see that change).

Give me some others if you'd like.

I'd sure LOVE - if we had 40 mil, to add 3-4 guys between 18 and 30 mil per - if we cant get any of the big fish.  But degrading a Butler+Kanter+ possibly a third FA + the draft pick for next season is ABSURD.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: October 08, 2018, 12:17:00 PM »

Butler will be 34 at the end of a five year deal.  Plays the entire last season at age 34.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: October 08, 2018, 12:57:42 PM »

I’m still pulling for Miami to sink itself by buying into Butler. One less conference rival will be able to compete for a handful of years while the temptation to fall into that particular trap would be removed.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: October 08, 2018, 01:13:53 PM »

Heat have a shot at the east with this deal

I am sure they want to keep Adebayo - was surprised to see his name in there

Richardson-Haslem-Ellington and a 1..........

Not surprising Minnesota wants more (could be Adebayo is the sinking point)

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: October 08, 2018, 01:20:30 PM »

Getting down to our 15, trading Lee for Bayless works under the CBA because Philly is still underthe cap. We’d cut Jerryd of course. It saves us money this year and a ton of money next year. Philly would get an experienced floor stretcher and perimeter defender on a reasonable deal. It gives them an option besides throwing 20 mil at Reddick in a one year deal next year as well. For us it lets the Mudiay experiment continue.

Kanter Mitchell Kornet
Thomas Vonleh KP
Knox Hezonja
Hardaway Dotson Baker
Frank Trier Burke Mudiay
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: October 08, 2018, 02:25:34 PM »

Spurs may need a point

Murray torn ACL out for the season.

chipstern

• View Profile
Spurs
« Reply #1043 on: October 08, 2018, 05:47:25 PM »

Feel terrible for the kid.  He worked so hard, and Tony Parker stepped aside for him. 

IT WAS HIS TIME. 

Damn. 

chipstern

• View Profile
Meanwhile
« Reply #1044 on: October 08, 2018, 06:01:48 PM »

Fascinating time of year. 

Players competing for roster spots and contracts. 

Trade speculation. 

Obviously we are all absorbed in that...but beyond that, really?  2019. 

I really don't give a damn. 

I am just happy that I'll be able to share 2018-2019 with the FIZZ KIDS. 

There are so many interesting narratives, and young, Young, YOUNG Works In PROGRESS, and interesting reclamation projects. 

And a sense that the coach has reached them and established a legitimate ground zero for progress and accountability. 

There is something to root for and abide in. 

A team that competes and appears to be trying to play the right way on both sides of the ball. 

Low expectations? 

Eh...no expectations, just progress is enough. 

How to gauge it?

We'll know it when we see it. 

Already have seen some glimmers. 

Not ready to anoint anyone. 

But, my God, a Knicks Fan since 1961, and I never thought I would ever see a legitimate reboot with young athletic players to root on. 

Looking forward to our first couple of smack downs, to see how we come back...if we can stay in the ball game on our own home court, even if out manned, even if beaten, let motherfuckers know they've been in a fight, and there will be no more layup lines at the Garden. 

Nagel bemoaned our point guards. 

Fair enough.  I don't look at it that way.  Fizz is trying to cobble together something based on the clay he has to work with.  Not ideal, obviously, but he is conniving to deflect the total burden from either Trey, Emmanuel, Frank of Ron, and spread the ball and point duties around.  When you have lemons, you make lemonade.  I like the character of this quartet of pretenders.  How they'll be challenged, and how they will challenge each other. 

As you were...

PS: Oh, boy HOOPS.  Thought that the summer would never end. 

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: October 08, 2018, 06:06:20 PM »

Burke for this year’s second round pick and the right to swap the year after?

Gets us assets while thinning herd. Makes a universal commitment to bigger guards.

Kanter Mitchell Kornet
Thomas Vonleh KP
Knox Hezonja Lee
Hardaway Dotson Baker
Frank Trier Mudiay

Hicks & Allen as two-ways

Richard P. Feynman

chipstern

• View Profile
Trader Vic's Home Companion
« Reply #1046 on: October 08, 2018, 06:17:00 PM »

Just for giggles. 

Phoenix just fired their GM, pleasing both of the Morris Twins. 

Same GM who just traded away their only remaining point guard. 

If the Suns wanted to rent a PG for 2018-2019, and were prepared to throw in the towel on Euro Stretch 4 Dragan Bender and his two remaining years, presuming then don't have cap space or a trade exception (and are of course unwilling to give up an unprotected #1), both Ron Baker and Emmanuel Mudiay match up salary wise...Baker an expiring deal...Mudiay a team option. 

Just saying? 

PS: The Sixers?  Reddick was 7-7 from trey last night, and 3-3- from the deuce I believe, and, well...I don't think our own Courtly Lee holds any charms. 

carlos123

• so cute
    • View Profile
Fac
« Reply #1047 on: October 08, 2018, 06:17:23 PM »

Burke is our best PG right now, and he wants to be a Knick.
Why do you want to get rid of anyone and everyone who WANTS to be a Knick?
Why don’t you go and root for OKC or the Nyets or something?
"I am your warrior and, if you feel you have been wronged or betrayed, I am your retribution, oh yes, your retribution."
- Putin's bitch at CPAC 2023

"Those Hispanics are funny, and they speak really funny"
- Bo Zizzley&Chip Stern

- Prayers for Chamaco Cartero -

- BAN THE AR15-
- Chamaco Cartero

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Re: Spurs
« Reply #1048 on: October 08, 2018, 07:35:27 PM »

Feel terrible for the kid.  He worked so hard, and Tony Parker stepped aside for him. 

IT WAS HIS TIME. 

Damn.

I heard Pop-Buford only offered TP an assistant coach position.  Tony was pushed aside. 
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
LANCE
« Reply #1049 on: October 08, 2018, 07:37:28 PM »

Lance won the starting PF job.

Yay.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 1847