Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 1847

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 907483 times)

luee

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #1395 on: October 22, 2018, 11:42:59 PM »

If its a rebuild (tank) year by all means go with Frank and Lance. The team can actually score 113 with those two goose eggs in the starting line-up, very entertaining.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: October 23, 2018, 04:49:00 AM »

There you go, a solid game from Zonja.
Sorry Kam, but it's dumb to say Zonja should be gone after the season, without seeing how he does during the season.

I only saw the last 3 mins and some highlights.
Zonja had some nice fakes and drives, got to his spots and got his shot off.  Looked comfortable.  Something to build on.  Wally said Mario played pretty good D on Anti-Greek.

So was Tim mostly on Middleton?
Tim's statline looks allright, but I saw Tim shoot a late airball 3,  he fouled out, also a game worst -25 (Mario a - 14).  Though none of that will affect his PER (#heh)

Franc 5 assists, but just 5 Pts.
Baker 5 stitches in 1 minute of play.
Must be leading the league in stitches per minute.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

lesterluv

• Burgers are tasty, but I love steak!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: October 23, 2018, 11:29:21 AM »

Middleton embarrassed most of the Knick lineup at one point or another ...
*** Mike Byrd said, Would that be Ashli, Ashley or Ashlee? Can never be sure with you white trash types." BAM!***

Pharoah

• View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: October 23, 2018, 06:19:50 PM »

Well...that Bucks game had my favorite offensive sequences of the early season. There was real ball movement, players not settling for jumpers and the team erased a couple of serious deficits...all with a second unit that threw out the isolations. The Frank/Dotson combo was on point, helped along by a Hezonja's spite for Clarence Gaines; Allonzo Trier buying-in; and the continued quality play of Noah Vonleh. The starting unit had flashes as well, with Trey Burke blacking out in the third quarter to hide three subpar quarters of play; Tim Hardaway is still not as efficient as we'd like but he's adding some assists in the past two; and Enes Kanter is still pumping out double-doubles even though his pick and roll defense is alarming to me. Fiz is gonna have to figure out how to make this mixture work, but he may have stumbled on a way to get his offense less stagnant all thanks to Ron Baker concussing himself like a Will Ferrell stunt-double.

Frank: Let's start with the most polarizing performance of the night. Frank Ntilikina led the Knicks in minutes with 35 but contributed very little scoring; 2/6 for 5 points. But Ron Baker's face first journey into Noah Vonleh's elbow also saw Frank shift to the primary ball handler of the second unit where he tallied 5 assists to just 1 TO and reminded everybody just how good he is defending the point of attack. The offense for Frank came on a variety of simple swings and pick and roll kickouts that took advantage of Dotson and Hezonja's offensive skillsets. The sequences without an iso-scoring floor general led to some of the best teamwork all season and as much as we want to see Frank take the scoring reins; I don't want that to happen at the expense of the Knicks offensive system continuing to look so stagnant. Equally important though, Frank's defense was really impressive last night in spite of logging no steals or blocks. When his defensive assignment can't knock Frank off balance with their size, he's close to a shut down presence already. I'd like to see him attack the paint more and pull the three pointer even if the defender is starting to close out, but his case for being a PG was laid out in how smooth the offense flowed when he finally got an opportunity.

THJ: Tim Hardaway Jr is always going to take some crazy shots in a game. But he also has a knack for making momentum baskets that come with the zero conscious shooting. 10/23 from the field and 3/9 from three for 24 points, 3 assists and 2 rebounds for the Knicks top scorer. He's playing himself into a volume role that I think he could be better than with just some restraint and more mindful passing. That's twice now that he's logged 3 assists in a game and that's with him settling for long contested jumpers early in the shot clock on multiple occasions. If he changes those to moments where he resets, the opportunity to pick up an extra assist or get a better shot off will come with it. Defensively, he like everyone else struggled to even contain Khris Middleton and if there's one starter that goes under the screen too often...

Kanter: Speaking of poor pick and roll habits; I've already gone off on this hole in Kanter's game after the Nets. Kanter just doesn't know how to stop teams from scoring in these situations and everybody knows it. The Bucks offense looked different when Kanter was out there compared to Vonleh. That said, Kanter is providing enough offense and rebounding that when he does piece together a couple of nice defensive plays in a row you notice it. 14 points and 13 rebounds in 32 minutes on 6/12 from the field. The Knicks are getting killed on the boards and he's keeping it from getting completely out of hand. Having the big man work in the post when the team needs to settle down is big too, because their other reliable offensive player is Tim Hardaway with the shot selection of Stacy Patton from Eddie. That said, at the end of close games I'm not sure you can afford to have a pick and roll liability in there. One wrinkle that does warrant mention; Kanter's shooting from midrange was really good last night. The Bucks gave him space and he took advantage which could be really helpful moving forward both to get Robinson/Vonleh extra minutes at the four (covering for Kanter's poor rim protection) and for opening lanes to guys like Hardaway and Trier.

Burke: I was getting ready to DOG Trey Burke after that first half. It was his worst defensive performance of the season imo and watching the offense flow with he and THJ off the court had me ready to go in. But then he found Trey.I. form in the third quarter and made that hard for me to justify. Burke is a microwave, who exploded for 15 points in the third quarter on 7/10 shooting to bring the Knicks back from a 19 point deficit to a neck and neck battle. For the night he pumped in 19 pts, 5 rebounds and 4 assists to 3 TO's in 22 minutes. That's a ton of production in short time and I want to see improvement in the Assist to TO ratio, but the third quarter explosion is why you get him out there for 20 minutes a night. He can be lightning in a bottle under the right circumstances. Like Kanter, there are points in the game where I just don't trust him out there but when the Knicks are looking for scoring...he's always worth a look.

Lance: Fan poll...what stood out to you from Lance's performance last night? If you said absolutely nothing, I don't blame you. 18 minutes for 4 points and 4 rebounds in a game where Giannis was too good for even Lance's typical intangibles to shine.

Dotson: Damyean Dotson has been flashing scoring ability and pure shooting since late last season but it has been frustratingly inconsistent. Even in summer league it felt like he could do so much more than he was for entire games. But he looked more assertive in preseason and that has continued into his first two appearances of the season. Last night he punctuated a 14 point, 8 rebound performance with a rabid defensive effort that saw him all over the floor. 32 minutes 5/13 from the field and 4/8 from three with a pair of steals to round out the night for Dotson. His willingness to pull that three is huge and his scoring ability gives him an immediate edge over Ron Baker as a value. He also showed good rebounding effort throughout his rookie campaign and that translated to 8 boards against the Bucks. For a team that's short on rebounders and three point shooting, he's got a chance to consume a role with plenty of opportunities to produce.

Super Mario: Clarence Gaines pulled some Phil Jackson woo woo magic; publicly criticizing a player who responded with his best performance of the young season. Mario played his best defense of the season from both an effort and focus perspective. He still made mistakes and gave up some baskets but more than made up for it on the other end. 8/16 and 2/5 from three for Mario to produce 18 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists and 2 steals in 30 minutes. Offensively it was a combination of decisiveness and being willing to take what the defense gave him that got Mario going for most of the night. It's notable that he did slip into head scratching territory on some heat check chucks that even Tim Hardaway would apologize for taking. But credit Fiz for benching him for effort last game and Clarence Gaines for making sure we all knew it.

Vonleh: As a sucker for defense, I have to shout out Noah Vonleh who has either been really good on that end or just looks great conflated with Enes Kanter. Noah Vonleh was willing to challenge Giannis at the rack repeatedly and that's a scary circumstance. When he found himself on an island off a pick and roll switch, he dug in and gave good effort to mixed results. He had the Knicks only 2 blocks logged on the stat sheet. For a team lacking rim protection, he deserved a spotlight and some orchestral music. 11 points and 5 boards in 19 minutes for Vonleh who went 3/5 from the field and got to the line 6 times. As good as Enes Kanter has been in certain areas, I'd love to see Vonleh eat into Kanter's time a bit more. This kid turned 23 in August; is athletic as hell, plays within himself and I repeat...HE'S THE ONLY INTERIOR PRESENCE ON DEFENSE THAT FIZDALE HAS.

Trier: Allonzo Trier saw Dotson and Hezonja going off; let them do their work and set out to impact the game elsewhere...I loved it. 17 minutes just 4 points on 3 attempts but he added 4 assists with no TO's and also played some defense. Trier didn't let lack of attempts get to him, he actually helped spark other guys. He didn't force things to get himself going or slack defensively because someone missed him when he was open. The team mentality of that second unit was refreshing and the fact that they didn't need Trier to bail them out partially speaks to Trier making the cut or extra pass that makes things easier for other people at the expense of him getting to isolate. He'll need to find balance, of course. He's too good a scorer to only put in 4 points on a night; but that he can have a game where the shooting and dribbling takes a backseat to the passing and defending is a testament to potential that goes beyond typical scoring wing roles.

Baker: In one minute Ron Baker managed to tally -5 in +/-, 5 stitches to the forward and one full sprint into a teammate's elbow. Dude tried to tank the screen like he forgot he was on offense and that's literally all he did on the court.

Fiz: Fiz stuck with the hot hands and it meant the rotation tightened up but continuity looked really good. He kinda stumbled into....Baker stumbled into Frank becoming the second unit primary ball handler, but Fiz should get some credit for sticking with it. There was a timeout late where I thought the Knicks were riding momentum and Fiz shoulda let them keep going. Timmy had just taken and made a wild three pointer but it was part of a 5-0 run with back to back stops and the play out of that TO was ugly again. This is sorta me nitpicking though because a lot of Fizdale's moves worked out. Dotson got a much bigger role and rewarded his coach. The same is true of Hezonja. Everyone was working hard even after going down 19 points on the road to a top 4 Eastern Conference team. With the roster limitations, I can forgive Fizdale relying heavily on Timmy and Kanter early on. I HOPE that he'll slowly dilute their touches and time with looks for younger guys; but I get why he and team are relying so much on those two. I DO want to monitor his late game TO's and specifically the plays he's drawing up out of them. It's waaaay too early to panic or even make a bold claim, but I've been disappointed at what he's drawn up to get us late baskets in close games. Oddly enough, I've thought earlier in the game we've come out of time outs with some nifty movement to get guys good looks though. So idk, we do these every game to look for patterns and a third time would be a charm there.

Lastly: If the Knicks are going to pick top five, these are the kinds of losses I won't mind. The youth balled out and Fiz let the players that did the most effective work continue to play regardless of age. Hard work was rewarded both on the scoreboard and with coaching decisions. The message to the team was clear, if you earn minutes you'll get them. It's painful to lose of course and especially with how the Bucks closed so strong while the Knicks floundered. But that the youngest team in the NBA has forced the Celtics and Bucks to FIGHT and dig in late in games places the Knicks ahead of where I figured they would be right now. None of the young guys have been very consistent except for maybe Vonleh (who's been in the league a while himself); but there have been flashes of upside from Knox, Frank, Dotson, Hezonja, Vonleh, Trier and I'd even add Burke. You can see potential to fit into NBA rotation roles for all of these guys. Mitch seemed poised until his ankle injury too. We're already seeing some of the tools necessary to place around KP; likely another draft pick; and potentially another high paid free agent (Khris Middleton's audition was impressive). Don't get discouraged by the W/L, don't get too high or low on the kids and let's enjoy this ride.

chipstern

• View Profile
Thumbs Up
« Reply #1399 on: October 23, 2018, 06:35:43 PM »

Well...that Bucks game had my favorite offensive sequences of the early season. There was real ball movement, players not settling for jumpers and the team erased a couple of serious deficits...all with a second unit that threw out the isolations. The Frank/Dotson combo was on point, helped along by a Hezonja's spite for Clarence Gaines; Allonzo Trier buying-in; and the continued quality play of Noah Vonleh. The starting unit had flashes as well, with Trey Burke blacking out in the third quarter to hide three subpar quarters of play; Tim Hardaway is still not as efficient as we'd like but he's adding some assists in the past two; and Enes Kanter is still pumping out double-doubles even though his pick and roll defense is alarming to me. Fiz is gonna have to figure out how to make this mixture work, but he may have stumbled on a way to get his offense less stagnant all thanks to Ron Baker concussing himself like a Will Ferrell stunt-double.

Frank: Let's start with the most polarizing performance of the night. Frank Ntilikina led the Knicks in minutes with 35 but contributed very little scoring; 2/6 for 5 points. But Ron Baker's face first journey into Noah Vonleh's elbow also saw Frank shift to the primary ball handler of the second unit where he tallied 5 assists to just 1 TO and reminded everybody just how good he is defending the point of attack. The offense for Frank came on a variety of simple swings and pick and roll kickouts that took advantage of Dotson and Hezonja's offensive skillsets. The sequences without an iso-scoring floor general led to some of the best teamwork all season and as much as we want to see Frank take the scoring reins; I don't want that to happen at the expense of the Knicks offensive system continuing to look so stagnant. Equally important though, Frank's defense was really impressive last night in spite of logging no steals or blocks. When his defensive assignment can't knock Frank off balance with their size, he's close to a shut down presence already. I'd like to see him attack the paint more and pull the three pointer even if the defender is starting to close out, but his case for being a PG was laid out in how smooth the offense flowed when he finally got an opportunity.

THJ: Tim Hardaway Jr is always going to take some crazy shots in a game. But he also has a knack for making momentum baskets that come with the zero conscious shooting. 10/23 from the field and 3/9 from three for 24 points, 3 assists and 2 rebounds for the Knicks top scorer. He's playing himself into a volume role that I think he could be better than with just some restraint and more mindful passing. That's twice now that he's logged 3 assists in a game and that's with him settling for long contested jumpers early in the shot clock on multiple occasions. If he changes those to moments where he resets, the opportunity to pick up an extra assist or get a better shot off will come with it. Defensively, he like everyone else struggled to even contain Khris Middleton and if there's one starter that goes under the screen too often...

Kanter: Speaking of poor pick and roll habits; I've already gone off on this hole in Kanter's game after the Nets. Kanter just doesn't know how to stop teams from scoring in these situations and everybody knows it. The Bucks offense looked different when Kanter was out there compared to Vonleh. That said, Kanter is providing enough offense and rebounding that when he does piece together a couple of nice defensive plays in a row you notice it. 14 points and 13 rebounds in 32 minutes on 6/12 from the field. The Knicks are getting killed on the boards and he's keeping it from getting completely out of hand. Having the big man work in the post when the team needs to settle down is big too, because their other reliable offensive player is Tim Hardaway with the shot selection of Stacy Patton from Eddie. That said, at the end of close games I'm not sure you can afford to have a pick and roll liability in there. One wrinkle that does warrant mention; Kanter's shooting from midrange was really good last night. The Bucks gave him space and he took advantage which could be really helpful moving forward both to get Robinson/Vonleh extra minutes at the four (covering for Kanter's poor rim protection) and for opening lanes to guys like Hardaway and Trier.

Burke: I was getting ready to DOG Trey Burke after that first half. It was his worst defensive performance of the season imo and watching the offense flow with he and THJ off the court had me ready to go in. But then he found Trey.I. form in the third quarter and made that hard for me to justify. Burke is a microwave, who exploded for 15 points in the third quarter on 7/10 shooting to bring the Knicks back from a 19 point deficit to a neck and neck battle. For the night he pumped in 19 pts, 5 rebounds and 4 assists to 3 TO's in 22 minutes. That's a ton of production in short time and I want to see improvement in the Assist to TO ratio, but the third quarter explosion is why you get him out there for 20 minutes a night. He can be lightning in a bottle under the right circumstances. Like Kanter, there are points in the game where I just don't trust him out there but when the Knicks are looking for scoring...he's always worth a look.

Lance: Fan poll...what stood out to you from Lance's performance last night? If you said absolutely nothing, I don't blame you. 18 minutes for 4 points and 4 rebounds in a game where Giannis was too good for even Lance's typical intangibles to shine.

Dotson: Damyean Dotson has been flashing scoring ability and pure shooting since late last season but it has been frustratingly inconsistent. Even in summer league it felt like he could do so much more than he was for entire games. But he looked more assertive in preseason and that has continued into his first two appearances of the season. Last night he punctuated a 14 point, 8 rebound performance with a rabid defensive effort that saw him all over the floor. 32 minutes 5/13 from the field and 4/8 from three with a pair of steals to round out the night for Dotson. His willingness to pull that three is huge and his scoring ability gives him an immediate edge over Ron Baker as a value. He also showed good rebounding effort throughout his rookie campaign and that translated to 8 boards against the Bucks. For a team that's short on rebounders and three point shooting, he's got a chance to consume a role with plenty of opportunities to produce.

Super Mario: Clarence Gaines pulled some Phil Jackson woo woo magic; publicly criticizing a player who responded with his best performance of the young season. Mario played his best defense of the season from both an effort and focus perspective. He still made mistakes and gave up some baskets but more than made up for it on the other end. 8/16 and 2/5 from three for Mario to produce 18 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists and 2 steals in 30 minutes. Offensively it was a combination of decisiveness and being willing to take what the defense gave him that got Mario going for most of the night. It's notable that he did slip into head scratching territory on some heat check chucks that even Tim Hardaway would apologize for taking. But credit Fiz for benching him for effort last game and Clarence Gaines for making sure we all knew it.

Vonleh: As a sucker for defense, I have to shout out Noah Vonleh who has either been really good on that end or just looks great conflated with Enes Kanter. Noah Vonleh was willing to challenge Giannis at the rack repeatedly and that's a scary circumstance. When he found himself on an island off a pick and roll switch, he dug in and gave good effort to mixed results. He had the Knicks only 2 blocks logged on the stat sheet. For a team lacking rim protection, he deserved a spotlight and some orchestral music. 11 points and 5 boards in 19 minutes for Vonleh who went 3/5 from the field and got to the line 6 times. As good as Enes Kanter has been in certain areas, I'd love to see Vonleh eat into Kanter's time a bit more. This kid turned 23 in August; is athletic as hell, plays within himself and I repeat...HE'S THE ONLY INTERIOR PRESENCE ON DEFENSE THAT FIZDALE HAS.

Trier: Allonzo Trier saw Dotson and Hezonja going off; let them do their work and set out to impact the game elsewhere...I loved it. 17 minutes just 4 points on 3 attempts but he added 4 assists with no TO's and also played some defense. Trier didn't let lack of attempts get to him, he actually helped spark other guys. He didn't force things to get himself going or slack defensively because someone missed him when he was open. The team mentality of that second unit was refreshing and the fact that they didn't need Trier to bail them out partially speaks to Trier making the cut or extra pass that makes things easier for other people at the expense of him getting to isolate. He'll need to find balance, of course. He's too good a scorer to only put in 4 points on a night; but that he can have a game where the shooting and dribbling takes a backseat to the passing and defending is a testament to potential that goes beyond typical scoring wing roles.

Baker: In one minute Ron Baker managed to tally -5 in +/-, 5 stitches to the forward and one full sprint into a teammate's elbow. Dude tried to tank the screen like he forgot he was on offense and that's literally all he did on the court.

Fiz: Fiz stuck with the hot hands and it meant the rotation tightened up but continuity looked really good. He kinda stumbled into....Baker stumbled into Frank becoming the second unit primary ball handler, but Fiz should get some credit for sticking with it. There was a timeout late where I thought the Knicks were riding momentum and Fiz shoulda let them keep going. Timmy had just taken and made a wild three pointer but it was part of a 5-0 run with back to back stops and the play out of that TO was ugly again. This is sorta me nitpicking though because a lot of Fizdale's moves worked out. Dotson got a much bigger role and rewarded his coach. The same is true of Hezonja. Everyone was working hard even after going down 19 points on the road to a top 4 Eastern Conference team. With the roster limitations, I can forgive Fizdale relying heavily on Timmy and Kanter early on. I HOPE that he'll slowly dilute their touches and time with looks for younger guys; but I get why he and team are relying so much on those two. I DO want to monitor his late game TO's and specifically the plays he's drawing up out of them. It's waaaay too early to panic or even make a bold claim, but I've been disappointed at what he's drawn up to get us late baskets in close games. Oddly enough, I've thought earlier in the game we've come out of time outs with some nifty movement to get guys good looks though. So idk, we do these every game to look for patterns and a third time would be a charm there.

Lastly: If the Knicks are going to pick top five, these are the kinds of losses I won't mind. The youth balled out and Fiz let the players that did the most effective work continue to play regardless of age. Hard work was rewarded both on the scoreboard and with coaching decisions. The message to the team was clear, if you earn minutes you'll get them. It's painful to lose of course and especially with how the Bucks closed so strong while the Knicks floundered. But that the youngest team in the NBA has forced the Celtics and Bucks to FIGHT and dig in late in games places the Knicks ahead of where I figured they would be right now. None of the young guys have been very consistent except for maybe Vonleh (who's been in the league a while himself); but there have been flashes of upside from Knox, Frank, Dotson, Hezonja, Vonleh, Trier and I'd even add Burke. You can see potential to fit into NBA rotation roles for all of these guys. Mitch seemed poised until his ankle injury too. We're already seeing some of the tools necessary to place around KP; likely another draft pick; and potentially another high paid free agent (Khris Middleton's audition was impressive). Don't get discouraged by the W/L, don't get too high or low on the kids and let's enjoy this ride.

A learned, reasoned, witty analysis as always.

A refreshing change from self-absorbed, reactionary fatwas.

You have my proxy, dude. 

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: October 23, 2018, 10:37:30 PM »

OK lets hear the guesses

5 Knick players with PER above 15.0

7 players above 10.0  (OUCH)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: October 23, 2018, 10:50:11 PM »

Vonleh Kanter Hardaway Burke and probably Trier

—————

Whoops! It was Dotson in 5th. Forgot how much the kid rebounds. Soooo much better than Baker in every aspect of basketball. Trier and Mario are the two in low teens.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 10:53:06 PM by facilitatorn »
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

chipstern

• View Profile
NAGELIAN Alert
« Reply #1402 on: October 23, 2018, 11:35:47 PM »

Middleton embarrassed most of the Knick lineup at one point or another ...

This 6'8" SF sharpshooter has a player option in the summer of 2019.  Presently making 13 million. 

Certainly made a case for himself to be considered among options to accept Knicks cap dollars, as per the audition Pharoah spoke of...
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 12:09:44 AM by chipstern »

chipstern

• View Profile
Free Throw Attempts
« Reply #1403 on: October 24, 2018, 01:59:03 AM »

Interesting Stat

Free Throws

Based On MOST ATTEMPTS

Hardaway

18-20

Vonleh

12-18

Trier

15-17

Kanter

13-14

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: October 24, 2018, 08:13:22 AM »

Yeah... Middleton would be interesting

But Budenholzer has reworked his game - now up to 11 in 100 possessions that he shoots a 3 - double from previous norm

If Milwaukee shows the dollars - and especially if they are winning (certainly a darkhorse EC finalist this year) KM likely stays.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: October 24, 2018, 01:39:54 PM »

We're young and rebuilding.
I'd rather look for the next Middleton, rather than pay a big price for him now.  In fact I was touting Middleton and Covington a few years ago before they blew up.

Bucks have a strong starting 5.  Need Bled to stay healthy.
And a decent bench.
Wonder if they'll get anything out of their yute: ThonMaker; DJ Wilson, Sterling Brown and DiVencenzo.  If one of them comes alive could really boost their rotation.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 01:42:46 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: October 24, 2018, 02:59:27 PM »

We're young and rebuilding.
I'd rather look for the next Middleton, rather than pay a big price for him now.  In fact I was touting Middleton and Covington a few years ago before they blew up.

Bucks have a strong starting 5.  Need Bled to stay healthy.
And a decent bench.
Wonder if they'll get anything out of their yute: ThonMaker; DJ Wilson, Sterling Brown and DiVencenzo.  If one of them comes alive could really boost their rotation.

You were ahead of the bell curve on Jaylen Brown as well. 

I believe we drafted Knox and signed up Hezonja as a hedge against the price of a Middleton, extra krispy or original recipe. 

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: October 24, 2018, 03:18:11 PM »

Rebuilding?  Next year?  Are you DAFT?

THJ coming off a big year
KP back
PG situation all sorted out, via progression, trade or free agency
Knox out of Huggies
A top 14 2019 draft selection
Deeeeeep with athletes

2019-20 forecasts to be a playoff year.

chipstern

• View Profile
Nagel & Biz Meltdown Alert
« Reply #1408 on: October 24, 2018, 04:29:49 PM »

What happens if Courtney Lee cannot get healthy or establish some minimal trade value?

Ideally for a roster contract expiring in the summer of 2019, we can acquire and dump.

Dotson making a very strong case for himself as a swing SF/SG...big strong body, athletic, plays defense.  Has demonstrated a proclivity for draining treys going back to last season. 

Trier making a very strong case for himself as well.  His stats, in which he has shown a proclivity for consistently getting to the free throw line and draining just under 90%, while assist totals in the last game show him growing more aware as a facilitator, which will make his Isobaric Machinations even more deadly.   And Fizz has pointed to how he closes out on shooters on the defensive side. 

And so now, in the era of small ball, between Hardaway, Dotson and Trier we now find ourselves with a trio of roughly 6'6" athletes who can thrive in transition and drain from long range. 

Between them, many of the skill sets we have come to admire in Courtney Lee, including defensive focus, free throw shooting and long range efficiency, whose neck issues are infuriating, and which were apparently precipitated by a hard foul in pre-season by, who else, Coney Island Bumper Car Pro Temps, Ron Baker. 

So, if Perry & Mills opt to stretch Lee, does that make them morons? 

What options are out there for that idealized deal with a contender? 

And how much rust does Lee have to shake off between now and December to give Perry a gambler's chance of finding him a soft landing?  And us an open roster spot for Trier. 

I know ideas have been floated about re-configuring Kornet's contract to a G League Two-Way, or dispensing with Baker or Mudiay. 

Don't believe Fizz is feeling any of that. 

Looking more like Lee is a candidate for a stretch. 

Noah counts for 6.4 million through the summer of 2022. 

The Post says that a Lee Stretch would be on the books through 2021. 

Ah, me, PHIL JACKSON.  A Gift Which Keeps Giving. 

In the meantime, Trier is a player, and a miraculous stroke of good luck, pushing both Dotson and Timmy to compete even harder, and Fizz likewise seems to be experimenting with him as a ballhandler, least ways, a better option than Ron Baker, his grit and defense duly noted.   

Get QUITE WELL, Very Soon, COURTLY. 
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 04:55:30 PM by chipstern »

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: October 24, 2018, 06:02:55 PM »

Rebuilding?  Next year?  Are you DAFT?

THJ coming off a big year
KP back
PG situation all sorted out, via progression, trade or free agency
Knox out of Huggies
A top 14 2019 draft selection
Deeeeeep with athletes

2019-20 forecasts to be a playoff year.

A low playoff seed in the East is still compatible with rebuilding.
After Courtly and Lance, the rest of our team is 26 or younger.
Knox will be just 20, our draft pick likely about the same.
The PG situation is the glaring concern.
Hopefully Tim can improve this year and not just put up scoring numbers due to high usage.

A team starting Burke-Hardaway-Kanter isn't going to go far due to serious defensive shortcomings.  Even if KZ is the next Bill Russell.
We have depth and athletes and some shooters, but really everybody else (including Burke) looks like 2nd unit guys as of now.

Hopefully Knox can have a solid year and become a starter.  And Franc can improve his offense.  That'd jump start our rebuild.  But yeah, I see this as a 3-4 year rebuild, starting last week.
A Key issue will be how well the Kanter-KZ combo is/can be.
And how we fill the starting PG slot.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 1847