Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 1844

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 899450 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #2070 on: November 19, 2018, 03:11:51 PM »

Mudy 5-8 in 22 minutes
Yep - scorer.

I thought he was a PG?

Was looking for trades with WASh where we could get Beal or Wall or even OP(P).

Really the only thing mildly plausible is to flip Hardaway for Beal with some additional players on ending contracts from NY.  Say Mud & Baker (both ending deals).  But that does nothing to help the Wiz D problems.  And only saves them $8M next year and nothing this year.
And is Beal going to help NY when we have no PG and no passing?
Seems sideways and awkward for both teams.  If Knix really wanted Beal, they could offer to expand the deal to include a Kanter for Mahinmi flip.  Putting NYK on the hook for another year of a big C at $15M, freeing up Wiz next year of $15M (+ $8M form the Mud/Bake expirings).  Replacing Beal with Hardaway to save $23M?
Is it worth it for either team?
Both would still require other moves to make such a deal pay off.

Presumably for Wall, they'd want a PG back, since they don't even have a genuine backup PG for him.  And Knix don't have much to offer WASH except possible backups (to Wall).  Trading Wall and Mahinmi for ending deals, picks and a yute (Franc and/or Knox) would gut the Washerwomen and make Porter's contract a complete albatross.
And would you really want Wall, who hasn't won anything and will be paid over $40M on his new deal?  That's make me super-nervous. 

I don't even know what you offer for Porter.  He's owed $27M this and two more years.  Courtly, Lance & Zonja (I'm assuming he can be packaged after Dec 15).   That's not too bad as Lance & Courtly make $19M next year.  [but isn't Lance only minimally guaranteed?].  Wiz could use the extra defense those two give them.  Knix would get a solid two-way player, a 3&D wing, at the cost of $28M on the cap 2 years form now (and an extra hit of some proportion next year).

If Lance is only $1M guaranteed next year, we'd be giving WIZ a ton of cap relief.  While taking on a lot of money. 

Knix should probably be hoarding their cap space and looking for a starting caliber PG, instead of any of this nonsense . . .
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: November 19, 2018, 03:23:56 PM »

Perry goofed big letting Troy Williams go for Mario. We lost the better player on the better contract.

I liked Troy.  But basically he was replaced by Datsun and Trilateral Commission.  Compared to last year's sluggards, Troy brought bounce and energy.  But now we have more young legs.  Tory and Dot seem equivalent.  Troy's largely redundant on this squad.

Zonja is a mistake player, but has size and some skills.  A reasonable gamble/reclamation project who still might get it together.  He has a pretty good stroke and makes some nice cuts.  Not a defender and prone to do stupid things with the ball, but also makes some nice passes.  He needs to focus, lock in, and play more fundamental hoops, rather than flashy stuff.  He's playing for a contract and possibly his NBA career, which shouldn't be underestimated.  he should be watching clips of Hedo Turk-o-glue every night.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: November 19, 2018, 03:49:07 PM »

Perry goofed big letting Troy Williams go for Mario. We lost the better player on the better contract.

I liked Troy.  But basically he was replaced by Datsun and Trilateral Commission.  Compared to last year's sluggards, Troy brought bounce and energy.  But now we have more young legs.  Tory and Dot seem equivalent.  Troy's largely redundant on this squad.

Zonja is a mistake player, but has size and some skills.  A reasonable gamble/reclamation project who still might get it together.  He has a pretty good stroke and makes some nice cuts.  Not a defender and prone to do stupid things with the ball, but also makes some nice passes.  He needs to focus, lock in, and play more fundamental hoops, rather than flashy stuff.  He's playing for a contract and possibly his NBA career, which shouldn't be underestimated.  he should be watching clips of Hedo Turk-o-glue every night.

Mario is still finding himself, and I know that is kind of thin...

And I liked Troy.

But characterizing letting Troy go to give Hezonja an audition as a major blunder on Perry's part is just absurd. 

Hezonja has comparable energy and hops, is bigger, more versatile and with a greater skill set. 

We have seen evidence of a really good motor and ballhandling, a willing and crafty passer. 

Trey got his wake up call on the bench.  Mario needs to be less rash in some of his decision making; he sometimes forces the issue in trying to make plays at the rack, though some impressive finishes.  Not enough though.  And his jumper has been a tease.  He has genuine, nuclear three point range. 

Hey, I liked Troy.  He was a grinder and had good energy. 

Still, gimme a break. 

Who would you rather roll the dice on?  Detlef Schrempf of Anthony Bonner.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: November 19, 2018, 04:42:13 PM »

Mario may be bigger, but Troy defends bigger and smaller players better not to mention ones his own size. Mario may have the rep, but Troy has actually hit threes and is shooting a nice percentage this year. He’s a low mistake player who knows his lane and brings relentless energy to his work. It’s never bad to give your coach more actuall defenders to work with. Both guys are up after this season so it’s less about future and more about who has their shit together now. Dotson and Knox provide similar play, but with what we’re doing Troy could slot between them or shift among them in tandem. Mario just accentuates the negative without consistently adding positives. Not the end of the world. Next year, unless things change, I’d still prefer we pursue Troy over Mario though we’ll be competing with more bidders. 

Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

kiiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: November 19, 2018, 04:55:59 PM »

"I thought he was a PG."

Hmmm...?

I don't tell u what to think.

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: November 19, 2018, 06:40:03 PM »

TW was waived. He played for seven teams during his short career and did a 6.3-2.7. Nothing there. Hezonja is better than that with more promise? You can always pick up TW when he gets waived again this year.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: November 19, 2018, 08:57:26 PM »

I just think Frank needs the opportunity to have games where he misses 4, hits 2, misses 3, then hits 5, feeling his way into games through mistakes.

You think Fizdale isn't telling him to keep creating for himself?  He can't keep playing 20-26 minutes a game and attempting 1 shot.  Or 3 shots. 
If Frank ever takes as many as 4+2+3+5... 14 shots it is because he made his first four.  Frank shuts himself down after his first miss or three.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: November 19, 2018, 09:06:51 PM »

So maybe he does need more yanks. Who knows. What I know is that he's the only plausible answer at permanent PG on our roster and remains exceedingly plausible in my mind. Guys who get hot every other game and leak like a sieve ever

He is averaging less than one FT per game and only 7.2 shots a game.  Shooting 36 percent. 
Offensively he has not improved, which in this league = regressed.

And the frustrating thing is he is doing it to himself.  Fizdale can try to inspire confidence with playing time and starts (and he has) but he can't instill confidence and aggression in his game.  Frank is on the clock.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 09:09:05 PM by Kam »

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: November 19, 2018, 09:10:43 PM »

Playing a guy who can D like he does rarely hurts us. What hurts us is to extol a new defensive culture with your lips and hand out playing time like candy to folks who can't guard a sponge. Maybe that's part of the reason Gasol detested him with a capital D.

To be fair to Frank, we could get by with his no-scoring ass if we didn't have another one in Mitch playing at the same time. 
Again, why can't they throw fucking LOBS to each other.  Or at least Frank to Mitch.
As it is we are playing 3 on 5 on offense when they start together.

Throw some fucking lobs already.  Frank is supposedly a pick and roll PG so he must know how to throw a lob.
Run more PnRs.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: November 19, 2018, 10:09:58 PM »

I mean... i don't know if Troy was that great but there had to be better ways to spend Mario's 6.5m bag.

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: November 19, 2018, 10:25:03 PM »

Phil Jackson on Drafting Frank Ntilikina

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gahF9d54GVI

Huh!
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

carlos123

• so cute
    • View Profile
Phool J
« Reply #2081 on: November 19, 2018, 10:35:59 PM »

Huh!

Speaking of Phool ...

My friend Nagel was the first one to call him a dinosaur. Good for you Nagel!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 10:38:33 PM by carlos123 »
"I am your warrior and, if you feel you have been wronged or betrayed, I am your retribution, oh yes, your retribution."
- Putin's bitch at CPAC 2023

"Those Hispanics are funny, and they speak really funny"
- Bo Zizzley&Chip Stern

- Prayers for Chamaco Cartero -

- BAN THE AR15-
- Chamaco Cartero

Nagel

• View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: November 20, 2018, 12:53:52 AM »

Carlos,,

check what a real knick fan thinks.

i guess  the same as me.  only he is much younger.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/ny-sports-knicks-rappaport-dolan-20181119-story.html

kiiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: November 20, 2018, 09:34:01 AM »

Huh!

Thanks for the link.

Phil says the staff argued about the pick.  Would love to know which members of management liked which other players in that draft.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: November 20, 2018, 10:31:18 AM »

Clearly Dennis Smith Jr, who went with the next pick.
Knix were in need of a PG.  So I assume it was either Franc or Smith Jr, who is small, a weak defender, and has had knee issues.
Possibly Monk who is more of an SG, and is currently slumping badly.  An SG who can't shoot.

Phil has always preferred Big G's and D at the G positions (Clyde in his playing days; Fisher in LA; also Ron Harper).
Which is probably why we tabbed Franc.

Also Phil is partial to everybody moving the ball, and that not being just the PG's responsibility.  Think early 70's Knix; Jordan/Pip Bulls; Kobe Lakes.

So Phil might view the PG position differently than most.
It's become a scoring gig, with most Points able to hit the 3 and get to the rack, making kickouts, and reads as needed.

Knix needed a PG and Phil likes size and D = Franc.

From 10 to the end, the best players so far:
#13 Donovan Mitchell
#23 OG Anunoby
#19 John Collins
#14 Bam Adebayo
#27 Kyle Kuzma
#22 Jarrett Allen
#30 Josh Hart

A pretty strong 2nd round, with players who look like they could stick around as bench players for years.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 1844