Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 390 391 [392] 393 394 ... 1844

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 899916 times)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #5865 on: May 17, 2019, 02:58:39 PM »

31 million reasons...........

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #5866 on: May 17, 2019, 03:13:32 PM »

Mistake was getting Hayward in the first place. They didn’t need him and crowding out other young/promising players was only going to create trouble.

Disagree.  It's just things changed.  They couldn't foretell that Hayward would become Injuryward after 5 mins as a Celt.  While the Jayson/Jalen timeline changed dramatically as well.  It's just once you have those changes, I would have been looking to move Gordy and gone with my studly yute.

KP was making what- $5MM?  Any trade for Gordo would have required ~$31MM in salary matches.
It was too big a risk for damaged goods.

Wes Matthews ending contract of $18M was always available.  Either in a deal with DAL or in a 3-way.
Could always trade with a team under the cap or bring them in to complete a trade.  There are ways.  Not overly hard.

Btw, KZ was $5M going on $31M (his max deal can be 5/$158M)

Bo you first proposed the Celts trade Gordo as a salary dump and a draft pick.

Nobody was trading anything for for a broken Gordo that was going to cost 3/98 and a lot of uncertainty.

It was a trade that would only take place in a fantasy world far far far removed from reality. 

But I agree nothing's overly hard in a fantasy world.

carlos123

• so cute
    • View Profile
Finals
« Reply #5867 on: May 17, 2019, 09:10:49 PM »

I still think trading for Hayward was a mistake, regardless of his subsequent injury. It woulda been a mistake even if he never gets injured.

Anyway, I think the Bucks beat GS in the finals, just haven't decided if it'll take'em 5, 6 or 7 games.

They won't make the finals, but still... Go Blazers!

ANTETOKANTER

McKANTER

We love u too, Kam(s)ter
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 11:07:20 PM by carlos123 »
"I am your warrior and, if you feel you have been wronged or betrayed, I am your retribution, oh yes, your retribution."
- Putin's bitch at CPAC 2023

"Those Hispanics are funny, and they speak really funny"
- Bo Zizzley&Chip Stern

- Prayers for Chamaco Cartero -

- BAN THE AR15-
- Chamaco Cartero

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #5868 on: May 17, 2019, 10:34:41 PM »

Carlos

Gordo was a FA. It wasn't a trade. All he cost was money and the opportunity cost, however that may be defined.

And when they got him, Tatum had never played a pro-game, and Brown was a swing guy. What he gave them was potentially a lot of flexibility in their rotation.

Hopefully he continues his rehab/recovery and gets his game back.

carlos123

• so cute
    • View Profile
Ok
« Reply #5869 on: May 17, 2019, 10:45:58 PM »

Ok Bank, you convinced me 😉
"I am your warrior and, if you feel you have been wronged or betrayed, I am your retribution, oh yes, your retribution."

- Bo Zizzley&Chip Stern

- BAN THE AR15-
- Chamaco Cartero

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #5870 on: May 17, 2019, 11:00:03 PM »

espn3 has draft combine and scrimmages from today

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #5871 on: May 17, 2019, 11:22:08 PM »

I don't feel any better about the Celts crappy performance against the Bucks, (losing 2 at home!) but the Bucks dominance tonight puts a little different spin on it. Monster message game against a very good team.

carlos123

• so cute
    • View Profile
Bucks
« Reply #5872 on: May 18, 2019, 12:48:08 AM »

I don't feel any better about the Celts crappy performance against the Bucks, (losing 2 at home!) but the Bucks dominance tonight puts a little different spin on it. Monster message game against a very good team.

Ok, do they beat GS in 5, 6 or 7?

Giannis is SUPERMAN ⛹🏾‍♂️!!!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 12:50:52 AM by carlos123 »

- Bo Zizzley&Chip Stern

- BAN THE AR15-
- Chamaco Cartero

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #5873 on: May 18, 2019, 03:50:16 AM »

Hayward was not too different form Paul George.  A former all-star in his prime who suffered a bad leg injury (but not the dreaded Achilles).  After a full year of rehab -- not unlike PG then and KZ now -- teams expected him to round back into form Y2 post-injury.  A returned-to-health Hayward is a high level player most teams would want, including the Celts.  [problem is they didn't really need him anymore and his start-stop on-court recovery negatively affected the team].  A lot of teams need talent and are willing to take a chance on a player at Hayward's level.  I think team bet on talent and pray for health.

A pick, a role player, and an ending salary was doable then and now.  $31M is a lot, but again, it's likely what Mavs are going to pay KZ without him having played a game post-rehab.  [Knix got 2 first rounders, 2 role players (Jr. Smith and DeAndre), took on one ending deal and dumped 2 unwanted contracts (Tim Jr and Courtly)].  Celts probably could have added a role player, got a future asset and improved their cap space.

Unfortunately, Celts got little out of 2 years of Haywire and the ripple effects might have Kyrie bolting.  Oops ....
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #5874 on: May 18, 2019, 04:00:07 AM »

I can see the Conley trade, but then Rozier probably still wants out.  And with aging vets like Conley and Horford, Celts might be setting themselves up to be Horford's ATL or Conley's Griz.  A solid playoff team who doesn't go very far.

Conley - [Rozier]
Jaylen - Smart
Tatum - Ojeleye
Morris - Williams
Horford - Baynes/Theis

Would need to add to the bench.  Those are young F's I have slotted in as backups.  I don't think Yabusele is ready/good.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #5875 on: May 18, 2019, 04:16:19 AM »

Everytime Raps cut the 2nd half lead down to 13, MIL responded and bumped it back up to 17 or 19.  Good job of staying focused.

TOR had its chance in G1. 
Only positive in G2 was Norman Powell looked like the guy who broke out 2 or 3 years ago.  Energetic and effective.
Fleet VanFred has been terrible these playoffs.  last year he really had his mojo going.  This year he was less confident, less effective.  I'd be ready to replace FVV with JerLin, but i guess that's not the kind of move teams do heading into a crucial G3 home game.  But I think Lin has more to offer at this point.  Including belief in his shot.

Siakim needs to bust out.
Kawhi needs to be less methodical.
Lowry needs to grasp the playoffs.
And get Granny Deen more corner 3's.
Actually I think TOR will get back to form and play their game in TOR.  Don't forget how they looked in G1 in MIL.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5876 on: May 18, 2019, 05:24:28 AM »

Brook, Ilya, Mirotic, and le Freak make a long, strong and skilled frontcourt. Everyone is deadly from every spot. Nobody has to pound the ball. I feel like GS is going to be undermanned in their quest to defend their crown.

I’m warming up to Barret. I’m also wondering about the best way to get another pick somewhere in the twenties.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #5877 on: May 18, 2019, 07:49:24 AM »

Ilya and Mirotic can be overpowered and disappear.
Also foul prone.  I'd have Siakim and Ibaka go out them.  Also Kawhi on switches.  MIL's size is swallowing up Kawhi on his slow motion drives deep into the paint.  But with 3 guys around him, shooters are open.

The Frog is a nice stabilizer for MIL and means that Hill doesn't have to do too much, and can have bad games.  Wish OG was playing for TOR.  Injuries suck, and an appendectomy just before the playoffs is a real fluke.

Basically, Lowry should outplay Bledsoe
Middleton > Siakim.  Pascal needs to try to match him
Brogdon > Green
Gasol = Lopez (if Gasol plays as capable)
Anti-Greek > Kawhi (but close)

Lowry and VFF need to run the team better.
Kawhi needs to make passes when surrounded.
And Raps need to unwrap their D.  They've got a lot of good defenders, who need to cohere.  Get steal, get stops, get out on the break.

Ibaka needs to be the best reserve.  He's better than Ilya.
VFF needs to at least equal Hill.
I didn't account for Mirotic, I guess that's where OG would come in.  Maybe a Powell revival can have him match Connaught.

Is Brogdon the untold hero of this series?
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bankshot1

• View Profile
Re: Bucks
« Reply #5878 on: May 18, 2019, 10:13:50 AM »

Ok, do they beat GS in 5, 6 or 7?

Giannis is SUPERMAN ⛹🏾‍♂️!!!

if KD plays I think the Warriors win in a 6 game series, if he's out or playing hurt, I think the Bucks can steal it in a long series, 6 or 7 games.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #5879 on: May 18, 2019, 12:39:44 PM »

KP and Hayward are really bad comps on so many bases, from money (5 v 31, but really closer to $100 million for Gordo), to the nature and severity of the injuries (ACL v broken bones, KP was expected to be playing by mid-year, Gordo was expected to miss a whole year), to perceived value (no one called Gordo a basketball unicorn-KP was seen as a unique player), to attitudes (KP demanded the trade out of NYC) .

Just a terrible comp to try and find a rational for a trade that was never going to happen.

Not a peep of a rumor at any point that teams were approaching the Celts about Gordo's availability before he returned.

No one was going to take a $100 million cap killer on an injured player without seeing him play.

I vaguely remebering posting (I think it was here) that Gordo looked slow and tentative in the pres-season games I watched.

And i wasn't on the hook for $100 million.

But Bo knows, Gordo would have been easy to trade.

TFF.

Today is different, there may be a market for him on the assumption he gets better and might need a fresh start elsewhere. Like Memphis.

if I were to blame Ainge for any one decision this year, it might be not trading Rozier by the trade deadline, who by most reports was a major pain in the ass. While I appreciate the KI insurance he provided, his me-me-me attitude as he approached his RFA year, and out of control level of play this year was destructive.

He's gone.
Pages: 1 ... 390 391 [392] 393 394 ... 1844