Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 456 457 [458] 459 460 ... 1844

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 900228 times)

PrezIke

• View Profile
Re: 33.5 wins
« Reply #6855 on: July 03, 2019, 01:49:32 PM »

My support for Fizdale ends if he cannot win 34 games with this group.
Playoffs should be the goal, but realistically anything higher than 11th place in the East will be a job well done with this roster.

But c'mon.  Fiz was hired in part because guys like DWade and LeBron spoke highly of him.  That was supposed to help us lure big time free agents.  Didn't happen really.   And then he was called a good development coach who could rehabilitate young players' careers.   Welll Mudiay got a one year deal in Utah for like 2.5 mil.  So hurray! 

Realistically if you are a developmental coach then develop your team from 17 to 34 wins.  Otherwise any nameless jackal could get 20-30 wins from this group.

I'd take the over that he's gone by next season.

thebizneverloses

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #6856 on: July 03, 2019, 02:02:54 PM »

If you start Jr. Smith and Barrett (my preference), then you have 3 yute in the starting lineup and a vet, either Portis or Bullocks, makes the most sense at SF.  Probably Bull, because he at least puts in defensive effort.  Or Portis if he earns it.

I see him as a tweener -- between starter and bench.  Portis needs to show he's a legit starter.  Also, I can see him playing SF, since the competition is just Knox and Bullocks.  And backing up PF (and possibly C).  Portis can get 20 -25 mins per night if he deserves it.  Bullock really should be a backup and spot starter.

But since we don't want Knox to get lost, maybe Portis does backup F/C.

I predict Portis will play less than five minutes at the 3 all season. He's 6'11 and he can't shuffle his feet on the perimeter. There's no chance he plays ahead of Bullocks, Ellington, RJ, Knox and Dotson at the 3. All those guys are better options at that spot.

PrezIke

• View Profile
« Reply #6857 on: July 03, 2019, 02:07:24 PM »

One thing that MIGHT help is that Peyton and Randle appear to play well together, at least from highlights.

Curious what the data says...just seeing some on 82games now...

So, for NO their best 5 man unit included Peyton and Randle and 3 of their best 5 man units included Peyton and Randle together.

This may mean little as a big variable is AD was in all of them, and but Holiday was not included in one of those 3.

Peyton also has a negative net rating, but his passing rating stands out (17.3) even higher than Holiday's (15.1) and is more than 6 points higher than our best player, DJS (11.7), which sounds woefully low (Mudiay's was 7.7, for perspective on our oft starting PG, and our "great vision" hero Frank, 8.5).

He could be the biggest sleeper of those that we've signed based on all of this and should be an improvement as we were a team full of black holes. Randle also moves the ball well and can handle it for a big which should in theory help. Vonleh could handle the rock, sure but was not a passer at all.

I think he has a great chance of starting. His shooting is the biggest concern, but Ellington gives us some improvement there, and clearly that's why we've signed him. I'm not sure I'm with you, Kam, on Beverly being the better choice over Peyton, btw, as he would have cost more to play on our awful team.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 02:21:47 PM by PrezIke »

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #6858 on: July 03, 2019, 02:09:37 PM »

If you start Jr. Smith and Barrett (my preference), then you have 3 yute in the starting lineup and a vet, either Portis or Bullocks, makes the most sense at SF.  Probably Bull, because he at least puts in defensive effort.  Or Portis if he earns it.

I see him as a tweener -- between starter and bench.  Portis needs to show he's a legit starter.  Also, I can see him playing SF, since the competition is just Knox and Bullocks.  And backing up PF (and possibly C).  Portis can get 20 -25 mins per night if he deserves it.  Bullock really should be a backup and spot starter.

But since we don't want Knox to get lost, maybe Portis does backup F/C.

I predict Portis will play less than five minutes at the 3 all season. He's 6'11 and he can't shuffle his feet on the perimeter. There's no chance he plays ahead of Bullocks, Ellington, RJ, Knox and Dotson at the 3. All those guys are better options at that spot.

Hence, a C.   Mitch will get 30mpg at Center per game (i hope).  So Portis gets what is left and maybe some backup PF time.

The Randle, Mitchell, and Portis crew should give you about 86 minutes of the available 96 between those spots.  Taj for 10.

That means you will see Randle AND Portis at the same time at least some of the time.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 02:12:32 PM by Kam »
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

PrezIke

• View Profile

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #6860 on: July 03, 2019, 02:15:47 PM »

I'm not sure I'm with you, Kam, on Beverly being the better choice over Peyton, btw, as he would have cost more to play on our awful team.

Perhaps.  But he would've provided veteran leadership in the backcourt where we have basically none.  Leadership from a key cog not a fringe guy.   And he would instill the basic defensive template we want on our perimeter.   Payton's defense is not as good as the scribes write up.   I look forward to his passing leading to easy buckets for our bigs.

PrezIke

• View Profile
« Reply #6861 on: July 03, 2019, 02:23:49 PM »

I'm not sure I'm with you, Kam, on Beverly being the better choice over Peyton, btw, as he would have cost more to play on our awful team.

Perhaps.  But he would've provided veteran leadership in the backcourt where we have basically none.  Leadership from a key cog not a fringe guy.   And he would instill the basic defensive template we want on our perimeter.   Payton's defense is not as good as the scribes write up.   I look forward to his passing leading to easy buckets for our bigs.

Fair point, but we do have Ellington for that now, and I think he will get time and/or at least challenge our young guards in practice and for PT. I don't think he's going to be too fringe. He played 27mpg last season.

He also had a positive "simple rating" btw (+3.3). One of only 4 on the Pistons. Others? Drummond (+7.9) and (+7.8) Griffin and behind him by 3 points, Kennard (+0.3).

And of those 4 was the best defender.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 02:33:23 PM by PrezIke »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #6862 on: July 03, 2019, 03:02:00 PM »

Mudiay to Jazz.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #6863 on: July 03, 2019, 03:11:58 PM »

Kam - you think Taj Gibson is playing TEN minutes per game?

thebizneverloses

• View Profile
« Reply #6864 on: July 03, 2019, 03:20:07 PM »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #6865 on: July 03, 2019, 03:20:52 PM »

Knicks PER 2018-19

Portis   16.1
Robinson  22.0
Gibson   17.8
Randle   21.0
Ellenson   13.1

Knox   8.7
Ellington   1.8
Barrett   ----
Bullock   10.5
Dotson   10.8
Brazdekis   -----

Payton   14.0
Smith   12.3
Ntlikina   6.0
Trier    12.2
Allen   16.2

Frontcourt strength

Wing needs a star - enter R J

Backcourt decent.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 03:28:51 PM by kiidcarter8 »

elephant

• View Profile
« Reply #6866 on: July 03, 2019, 05:38:43 PM »

So if you made a list of the top 50 players in the NBA, would we have a single one of them?

Say that list is expanded to 100. Do we have more than one guy that would make that list?

It's pretty remarkable. We are primed to vigorously compete with the second team of most clubs.

(not win, but vigorously compete).

Hurrah!

Okay, I'll stop with all the depressing realizations. It just keeps hitting me anew, the depths of our beloved and tragically fucked up team.

Waiting on that miracle, that wondrous leap of individual talents, that fairy tale blooming of collective greatness, that.....

Pass the pipe again, will you?

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #6867 on: July 03, 2019, 08:53:16 PM »

Fair point, but we do have Ellington for that now, and I think he will get time and/or at least challenge our young guards in practice and for PT. I don't think he's going to be too fringe. He played 27mpg last season.

He also had a positive "simple rating" btw (+3.3). One of only 4 on the Pistons. Others? Drummond (+7.9) and (+7.8) Griffin and behind him by 3 points, Kennard (+0.3).

And of those 4 was the best defender.

I can't see him getting too many minutes.  MOstly think we signed him to trade him.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #6868 on: July 03, 2019, 09:18:55 PM »

Shooters gonna play

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6869 on: July 03, 2019, 09:58:05 PM »

Jimmer’s glorious return to the NB of A was short lived. He’s swimming back to the shallower waters of the CBA where things are more on his level.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman
Pages: 1 ... 456 457 [458] 459 460 ... 1844