Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 457 458 [459] 460 461 ... 1844

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 899225 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #6870 on: July 04, 2019, 03:03:12 AM »

Hey, I'm somewhat surprised/impressed JimJam even got an NBA tryout at age 30.  Not easy to do.
kiid was right about that.

But I did say that PHX essentially offered him a gussied up 10-day contract.  That was a team that might have used him, but he didn't shoot well for them. 

My guess is this brief Summer League stint was so he could say he's still in the NBA while collecting overseas offers.  Certainly the Chinese teams tout players as coming from whatever NBA team to the CBA.  They love to say that it's an NBA player coming to China.  I assume Jimmer will return to China where he gets to be a one-man-offense as opposed to going to a more balanced Euro-game.

In 2 GSW Summer games, Jimmer shot 44%, but just 1-7 on 3's.  Without those going down, nobody will want him.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 03:05:43 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #6871 on: July 04, 2019, 06:24:33 AM »

Initially Portis was listed at 6'10 235.  If he's 6'11" 250 I guess he's a PF and fake C.  Is that what happened to him --  he bulked up and lost mobility?
Anyway, i just don't see Randle and Portis successfully defending the rim.  Especially when we'll have backcourt sieves like Jr. SMith, Elfin Payton (pesky, but weak) and rooks like Knox and Barrett playing picador D (they haven't reached the matador stage yet -- though the metaphor breaks down ...)

I think we'll start Mitch and Taj will be the primary backup C.  Portis backup PF, which would just give him 15-18 a night. 

Looking like a lot of options for the Lakes.
They should be telling Kawhi that if he joins LeBJ and AD, the Super-trio can add Iggy, Korver and whoever else as running mates.   WCS could have been an option if Kawhi decided sooner.  But in any case looks like Lakes will be able to build out their roster.  Would Boogie join up at the vet min or whatever minor exemption the LAL have?  Would that be wise?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 06:26:39 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6872 on: July 04, 2019, 07:01:44 AM »

What I like about what we did, targeting and approach;

No top target should want to come to a 17 win team. Adding the third pick doesn’t move that needle. Those guys get rookies (Shabaz), they don’t join them.

You can convince a player to take fewer years for more money or control. You can get him to take less money for more years or control and less control for more years or money.

In every case, we upped the dollars for shorter contracts with team control. No one-and-dones unless the Knicks want them Done. For Randle that would make him a two and done. We had the money and slots to play it that way. It was an approach that lets you get worthwhile players while maintaining flexibility.

We wasted no time on the biggest ticket guys and gave the next most productive, healthy, age appropriate guy a call right away. Our targeting started with Randle. He does a lot for a guy playing his position and the things he’s not good at he’s above average at for his spot and improving. We should be asking him to do less on O, setting up other guys and letting them set him up, and balancing his effort and focus more on both ends. He had at least one good defensive year for The Lakers. His focus should be on maxing out his potential as a two way player.

We got a guard and a big with productive skills, who’ve been well coached, who can hang by supplementing average physiques with knowledge, instincts, determination, and confidence. On the downside of their careers, they can’t be expected to carry career average loads, but the know a ton about playing and preparing and the personnel in the league and the situations that can arise over the course of a season. Taj & Wayne are frontcourt and backcourt platoon leaders respectively. They are also the smallest guys we signed to each platoon.

Next we got productive young vets with track records in very definable roles. Elfrid is a distributing point. Reggie is a wing sniper. Bobby is a stretch big. Between the draft and our holdover young players, we have predominantly slashers in need of lanes along with the rim runner in Mitch. If the new guys keep doing what they’ve been doing, it gives the kids the support to succeed.

If these guys condition right and find a decent scheme, they may score or not and will probably play a little ugly, but they should wear teams down by making them work just with pace and physicality. Our worst defensive frontcourt is probably Portis and Randle, unless we have a better coaching staff thanI think. They both rebound and one handles like an off guard and the other shoots like one. If we don’t get a grind we’ll have a track race.

I’d like to see us get one more big as insurance, but I think we can get by if we stay healthy. The roster spot and exception or remaining cap room can be used then. The roster spot also reminds players that a guy to replace you can be brought in tomorrow with no further moves. Carrots and sticks.

When looking at the cap numbers remember these guys came to a 17 win club on team friendly terms and decided right away.

Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #6873 on: July 04, 2019, 08:58:29 AM »

I think we'll start Mitch and Taj will be the primary backup C.  Portis backup PF, which would just give him 15-18 a night. 

heh

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #6874 on: July 04, 2019, 11:10:55 AM »

Well, Mitch's minutes will likely fluctuate, unless he can avoid early foul trouble that plagued him frequently his rook year.  I think we'd like to get 25-30 mins out of Mitch.  But he might average more like 20-25 since he might have nights where he plays just 15 mins due to fouls.

If you want Taj to be a leader, he needs to be on the court a significant amount of time.  And he can help organize a defense.

here's a yahoo Sports article that echoes what I said:
signing versatile Julius Randle to a two-year deal with a team-optioned third is a sound approach that keeps them flexible and agile for future moves. Restricted free agent Bobby Portis is high-energy big who can play both forward spots and is ambitious for more.

There'll be SF minutes available.  I think Fizz will try Portis at SF and at C, and see where he fits.  As just a backup PF, his court time will be limited.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 12:37:14 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #6875 on: July 04, 2019, 12:28:42 PM »

All of R.J. Barrett, Kevin Knox, Mitchell Robinson, Allonzo Trier and Ignas Brazdeikis are likely to play on New York’s Summer League outfit when the Knicks take the Las Vegas stage against the Pelicans.
New York has pivoted nicely into adding supplementary players for the team’s young pieces. And we may actually witness a starting lineup David Fizdale unveils at one point during the regular season in Las Vegas, featuring the five players listed above.

Scouts who are high on Barrett maintain his aggressive, driving style will translate better in the NBA, where half-court offenses are greater stretched than they were at Duke. Robinson will present an intriguing pick-and-roll partner. Trier and Barrett may also run a handful of high screen action together. And we’ll have a nice glimpse of Knox’s growth as a shooter playing off-ball in Las Vegas, where last year’s No. 9 selection absolutely exploded a year ago.

The Knicks’ summer unit may be the closest thing we’ve seen in July to a team’s true roster. And it will be very interesting to get a glimpse of New York’s next iteration.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #6876 on: July 04, 2019, 12:42:13 PM »

heh - squared

FWK00

• View Profile
« Reply #6877 on: July 04, 2019, 01:33:47 PM »

What I like about what we did, targeting and approach;

No top target should want to come to a 17 win team. Adding the third pick doesn’t move that needle. Those guys get rookies (Shabaz), they don’t join them.

You can convince a player to take fewer years for more money or control. You can get him to take less money for more years or control and less control for more years or money.

In every case, we upped the dollars for shorter contracts with team control. No one-and-dones unless the Knicks want them Done. For Randle that would make him a two and done. We had the money and slots to play it that way. It was an approach that lets you get worthwhile players while maintaining flexibility.

We wasted no time on the biggest ticket guys and gave the next most productive, healthy, age appropriate guy a call right away. Our targeting started with Randle. He does a lot for a guy playing his position and the things he’s not good at he’s above average at for his spot and improving. We should be asking him to do less on O, setting up other guys and letting them set him up, and balancing his effort and focus more on both ends. He had at least one good defensive year for The Lakers. His focus should be on maxing out his potential as a two way player.

We got a guard and a big with productive skills, who’ve been well coached, who can hang by supplementing average physiques with knowledge, instincts, determination, and confidence. On the downside of their careers, they can’t be expected to carry career average loads, but the know a ton about playing and preparing and the personnel in the league and the situations that can arise over the course of a season. Taj & Wayne are frontcourt and backcourt platoon leaders respectively. They are also the smallest guys we signed to each platoon.

Next we got productive young vets with track records in very definable roles. Elfrid is a distributing point. Reggie is a wing sniper. Bobby is a stretch big. Between the draft and our holdover young players, we have predominantly slashers in need of lanes along with the rim runner in Mitch. If the new guys keep doing what they’ve been doing, it gives the kids the support to succeed.

If these guys condition right and find a decent scheme, they may score or not and will probably play a little ugly, but they should wear teams down by making them work just with pace and physicality. Our worst defensive frontcourt is probably Portis and Randle, unless we have a better coaching staff thanI think. They both rebound and one handles like an off guard and the other shoots like one. If we don’t get a grind we’ll have a track race.

I’d like to see us get one more big as insurance, but I think we can get by if we stay healthy. The roster spot and exception or remaining cap room can be used then. The roster spot also reminds players that a guy to replace you can be brought in tomorrow with no further moves. Carrots and sticks.

When looking at the cap numbers remember these guys came to a 17 win club on team friendly terms and decided right away.
Highly tradable role players come January.  Nothing wrong with that.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #6878 on: July 04, 2019, 02:01:07 PM »

heh

Then why sign Portis for 15mil to play 15min?   

Unless your claim is ... it's the Knicks...  which ok i accept.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #6879 on: July 04, 2019, 02:08:25 PM »

I have Portis getting another 10-15 mins a night at SF.
getting him to 25+ mins.

I think the Knix took a flyer on Portis and want to see where he can fit and what he can do.  He can't just be a PF for these Knix, since we signed Randle, and he's the starter.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #6880 on: July 04, 2019, 02:48:27 PM »

Josh Jackson, Kelly Oubre...

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article232264202.html

Will be interesting to see the number Suns need to match on KO

thebizneverloses

• View Profile
« Reply #6881 on: July 04, 2019, 03:38:58 PM »

I have Portis getting another 10-15 mins a night at SF.
getting him to 25+ mins.

I think the Knix took a flyer on Portis and want to see where he can fit and what he can do.  He can't just be a PF for these Knix, since we signed Randle, and he's the starter.

This is just not who he is as a player.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #6882 on: July 04, 2019, 04:00:19 PM »

I think you will see plenty of Portis/Randle

Some of Portis/Randle/Gibson

Some of 2 of the above with Robinson.

Basically we are playing with an open 3 position.  Bit of a revolving door.  3 guard lineup at times of course possible in this regard

The only thing all the additions have done is

a)  eliminate a Kornet or other 5, a Mudiay (gone) or other 1..

b)  Make it tougher on Damien Dotson and Frank Ntilikina  to see the court

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6883 on: July 04, 2019, 04:12:56 PM »

It will be interesting to see how Chop Suey does in Chicago. He should get a chance at run early as Wendell Carter is recovering from surgery.

Maybe Mike Conley can make a man out of Mudiay. For us the reward isn’t high enough and we don’t have the time.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #6884 on: July 04, 2019, 05:19:33 PM »

Emmanuel took strides last year.  But Utah media promoting Utah's system as a fix for EM's game.

Media fucktards.

heh

Clearly Exum will be dealt.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 05:26:24 PM by kiidcarter8 »
Pages: 1 ... 457 458 [459] 460 461 ... 1844