Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 475 476 [477] 478 479 ... 1847

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 910947 times)

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Re: Free Agency
« Reply #7140 on: July 17, 2019, 05:25:50 PM »

Ian Begley: Knicks say Reggie Bullock underwent successful surgery today at the Hospital for Special Surgery for a cervical disc herniation. The team will plan to provide an update on his rehab and progress around the start of training camp.

Neck or arm pain, numbness or tingling may result when the disc material touches or compresses a spinal nerve. Treatment with rest, pain medication, spinal injections, and physical therapy is the first step to recovery. Most people improve in 6 weeks and return to normal activity.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
RJ Barrett
« Reply #7141 on: July 17, 2019, 05:29:42 PM »

If his floor is Evan Turner his ceiling is around Ben Simmons.   Why not let RJ run the point?

RJ B
Wayne E
Marcus M
Julius R
Mitchell R

Bobby P  and TaJ first off the bench

IsoZo and Knox for scoring off the pine.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #7142 on: July 17, 2019, 05:40:16 PM »

- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7143 on: July 17, 2019, 07:00:53 PM »

Wood is a Piston.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

chipstern

• View Profile
Cute
« Reply #7144 on: July 17, 2019, 07:43:22 PM »

How about Randle + Knox + Ellington + Franc
for
Brad Beal and Bertans?

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #7145 on: July 17, 2019, 07:49:17 PM »

WOOD lands in Detroit

Blazers looking at Howard

PrezIke

• View Profile
« Reply #7146 on: July 17, 2019, 11:30:42 PM »

Doesnt take a damn thing from Barrett or Trier

You wanted to see Fiz coach a better roster - so you have to allow him to give the vets minutes

Agreed.

The youngins prove themselves they will get time. They can also come off the bench and get minutes. I don't see many starting. The team has to do better. We were in a lot of games I should say last season for a while, but tanking ain't what it used to be.

27-30 wins minimum is required, as sad as that sounds.

PrezIke

• View Profile
« Reply #7147 on: July 17, 2019, 11:50:31 PM »

If the best-case scenario for RJ unfolds - a big if, granted- he's going to be a good enough playmaker that you don't need a traditional PG at the 1. A scorer like Allonzo (if he develops enough to merit a starting spot) or the defensive-minded Ntilikina (if he becomes George Hill, which was my hope pre-draft) will suffice at the 1.

It takes a really special wing to be the functional PG.  Pippen, Harden LeBJ, etc.

If he doesn't develop a reliable shot or become a stopper defensively, he risks becoming a burlier Evan Turner. That's his floor. His ceiling is very high, and predicated on his motivation to be great helping him overcome his apparent early shortcomings. I'm a bigger believer than most.

I've thought of the Ev Turner comp as well.  (A #2 pick, btw).
Turner has disappointed due to his lack of an outside shot and poor D, plus being a good but not great playmaker.  But he's been a reasonable NBA player.  I hope that's Barrett's floor.  Because the worst-case scenario is his poor outside shooting causes him to be less effective in other areas (driving, creating) and lose confidence.  And the NAB has changed from 7-10 years ago (early EvTurner days) whereas the 3 is now expected of everyone on the court.  Another possible comparison is Wiggins.

I've seen very very little of RJrB so far.  His drives are physical and often odd-looking.  Will they work in the NBA?  Are they tricky enough to succeed, because he forces shots off his drives.  Can he drive right?  If you can't hit 3's and only drive left, NBA defenses will stop you.

I need to see his handle and playmaking.  And more of his shot.  But I think he's far from a sure thing.  He's ultra-young, so there's that uncertainty too.  A lot depends on Knix development  coaching.  At least Barrett is said to be a hard-worker.

Coaching can help, but I think more depends on him. Again, Of what I read, and have seen (not a lot, just to be fair) I'm not as high as Biz and as some of our loud fanbase is on him.

Hard to see him ever being a defensive stopper based on what we've seen as well.

I hope he comes good and will be rooting for him all the way.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #7148 on: July 18, 2019, 05:29:52 AM »

I think we're stuck in nowheresville.
A whole new set of teammates.
No lead dog.
3 promising yute who are very young and going to tkae years to hit their stride.  We really need one of Barrett/Knox to reach near all-star level.  Or at least both to become viable starters (down the road, not this year).  And Mitch to become a solid C, with strong defense.

And of course we need to get a starting quality PG.
I didn't see that much of the Knix last 15+ games and consequently didn't get a good read on Jr. Smith.  For now, he's pretty crucial. [I have no idea if Kam's suggestion of using a 19 year old rook wing as starting PG was serious or not -- I thought it was a parody at first, then became unsure]

I'll wait to see how things look in pre-season and get a glimpse of the schedule and the rest of the East, but right now I was thinking 33 W's or so.  We might be a very random team, looking great one game, or 1/4, and terrible other times.

Areas of concern:
- 3 point shooting.  Barrett & Jr. Smith -- possibly our starying backcourt -- can't hit 3's.  Ellington might be our best 3-shooter and I'm hoping he doesn't play much.
- Defense.  Lotta yute.  Barrett, Knox, Jr. SMith weak defenders.  Add Portis as well.  Randle not a shotblocker or good out to the perimeter.  Is anyone but Mitch and Taj a + defender? 
- Chemistry.  Lotta new guys.  A few very young guys.  Lotta comp for minutes.  And quite a few on 1 + option  deals.  Not really the recipe for coming together. 
- Point Guard play.  Jr. SMith,  Elfrid,  Franc.  Likely a Bottom 5 PG rotation.  (I'd need to look around and make sure)
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

thebizneverloses

• View Profile
« Reply #7149 on: July 18, 2019, 07:10:09 AM »

Just getting started:

How about Randle + Knox + Ellington + Franc
for
Brad Beal and Mahinmi?

Knix consolidate some players into an all-star.
Mahinmi an ending contract.

Think they'd want more, tbh. As you concede, they may not have a need for Randle. Ellington makes more sense on a contender. Ntilikina may or may not be rated by the Wiz.

I think we should target Beal. The most obvious deal is:

Beal/Wall/two or three minimum players for Portis/Mook/Payton/Ellington/Taj/Knox (or if we can get away with it, Trier)

Wall has the worst contract in the league. The Knicks are the team best suited to absorb that terrible contract since acquiring Beal would mean passing on free agency and building around Beal/Randle/DSJ/RJ/Knox or Trier/Meech/Ntilikina/Braz and a lot of picks which can be used to aggregate in trades. And then the Knicks just pay the inevitable luxury tax in a few years, which others teams will want to eschew.

The drawback is with that anchor of a contract it really becomes difficult to improve the team in the medium term. It's hard to see Wall returning to all-star form; more likely he isn't good enough or healthy enough to start 70 games a year ever again.

Would you do such a deal, given it does not involve picks?

A more complicated version of the deal is finding a team that really wants Mook for a playoff run and is willing to trade a pick for him. It's tough to see who that is - maybe Atlanta would trade the Brooklyn first and Chandler Parsons for Mook + Ellington? If so, we flip Parsons and the pick over to Washington so we can keep Knox (or maybe keep the pick ourselves?).

If we're trying to acquire Beal without taking on Wall, I'm afraid the price will get pretty high. They're going to ask for Mitch or RJ. Even if they agree to DSJ (say, DSJ/Portis/Ellington), they're going to want our pick this year and the Dallas pick next year.

If they'd take Knox/Portis/Ellington and our top-5 protected pick this year and our pick next year, I'd happily do it. I' m worried that won't be enough.

thebizneverloses

• View Profile
Re: Summer of movement
« Reply #7150 on: July 18, 2019, 07:20:13 AM »

This free agency saw 6 of the All-NBA players switch teams.

I'm interested to see who trades for Kevin Love (Indiana?), Cp3 (Miami? Philly?), Beal etc.

The player that's the best fit for us is KAT.

Wolves will want to ditch one of Dieng and Wiggins - two of the most unappealing contracts in the league. We have the expirings and youth and picks to put together a package to take on both, which no other team can offer. If the Knicks really believe in DSJ, this trade works: http://tradenba.com/trades/r1L9HRabr

Would leave the Knicks with a starting lineup of DSJ/RJ/Wiggins/Mook/KAT, which could be playoff bound in the East but is still very young. Would have Frank/Zo/Bullocks or Braz/Vonleh/Dieng as a so-so bench with the potential to be much better next year. Would miss some of that veteran leadership, sure, but the point is KAT is an All-NBA type. Could even try to flip Wiggins and a couple of picks for Beal, which would definitely make for a dangerous team at that point.

I'd be aggressive after KAT.

thebizneverloses

• View Profile
Re: RJ Barrett
« Reply #7151 on: July 18, 2019, 07:20:58 AM »

If his floor is Evan Turner his ceiling is around Ben Simmons.   Why not let RJ run the point?

RJ B
Wayne E
Marcus M
Julius R
Mitchell R

Bobby P  and TaJ first off the bench

IsoZo and Knox for scoring off the pine.

RJ can't defend 1s. He'll even struggle with 2s. DSJ has to play poorly to lose his spot at the 1.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Summer of movement
« Reply #7152 on: July 18, 2019, 10:02:12 AM »

This free agency saw 6 of the All-NBA players switch teams.

I'm interested to see who trades for Kevin Love (Indiana?), Cp3 (Miami? Philly?), Beal etc.

The player that's the best fit for us is KAT.

Wolves will want to ditch one of Dieng and Wiggins - two of the most unappealing contracts in the league. We have the expirings and youth and picks to put together a package to take on both, which no other team can offer. If the Knicks really believe in DSJ, this trade works: http://tradenba.com/trades/r1L9HRabr

Pass

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #7153 on: July 18, 2019, 10:45:05 AM »

Kornet 2 years guaranteed with Bulls.  4.5 mil

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #7154 on: July 18, 2019, 11:47:08 AM »

Stars and other good players become available often for all sorts of reasons.  So I wouldn't take on Wall to get Beal.  Beal isn't a franchise changer.  Just a very nice player.

I'd like to get KAT too, but don't see why Minn would give him away just to move some clumsy contracts.

Knix best bet is to develop RJB, Knox and Mitch, and maybe Jr. Smith into a nice young core.  Add in some players who contribute and set a tone -- hopefully Randle is one.  And then pursue a star when we have an appealing team, and have upped the trade value of our current assets.  Might take a few years.  BKY pulled off such a feat.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---
Pages: 1 ... 475 476 [477] 478 479 ... 1847