Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 482 483 [484] 485 486 ... 1844

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 899378 times)

Yankguy1

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #7245 on: July 29, 2019, 05:54:27 PM »

I'm glad you handled that one, Bo.  At this point, Randle, who I actually like, has been nothing more than a decent player on a series of lousy teams. 

Heh
Heh.  My mistake he's been a superstar on a bunch of great teams.  How could I have made such a blunder?

What has he done in the NBA that leads you to your conclusion, that he's a better player than Maurice Lucas?
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #7246 on: July 29, 2019, 06:27:14 PM »

I don’t know.  All American at 18. Triple doubles.  ..... 45 point game at age 23...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 07:07:52 PM by kidcarter8 »
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #7247 on: July 29, 2019, 06:35:23 PM »

Wow what a stuffed resume!  You think that brilliant performance would help a team to the playoffs. Did he play for an NBA team within 10 games of .500?
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #7248 on: July 29, 2019, 07:10:52 PM »

You can get the entire resume at Ineedhelpwithnbaknowledge.com. Molucasisagod.com was laughed off the internet

chipstern

• View Profile
Yank
« Reply #7249 on: July 29, 2019, 07:20:02 PM »

Randle is a bad young man.  So is Portis.

Randle With 45 Points/11 Boards/6 Assists Vs TrailBlazers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMlzNJaMEsc

Portis With 28 Points/13 Boards/4 Assists Vs Jazz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YQCYBiNGRI

The 6'9" 250 pound Randle scoring in every way possible, setting up team mates.

The 6'11" 245 pound Portis positively raining threes, getting boards.

Against good teams.  Is it their fault that the Lakers/Pelicans and Wizards were in remission.  That is a silly argument. 

Don't get get caught up in comparisons to Maurice Lucas. 

Maurice Lucas was a significant spiritual/psychic/tough guy presence on a championship team, and had Bill Walton's back, much as Bill Lambeer and Rick Mahorn had Isiah's, Robert Parish had Bird's and Oakley and Mase had Ewing's. 

Obviously, Randle and Portis have A LOT TO PROVE.  But come on, man. 

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #7250 on: July 29, 2019, 08:23:21 PM »

Yep. Kid knows the NBA better than I do. He was a point guard in high school.

carlos123

• so cute
    • View Profile
El guardia Chico Cartero
« Reply #7251 on: July 29, 2019, 09:13:05 PM »

And here is proof of it:

"I am your warrior and, if you feel you have been wronged or betrayed, I am your retribution, oh yes, your retribution."
- Putin's bitch at CPAC 2023

"Those Hispanics are funny, and they speak really funny"
- Bo Zizzley&Chip Stern

- Prayers for Chamaco Cartero -

- BAN THE AR15-
- Chamaco Cartero

chipstern

• View Profile
Theater Of The Absurd
« Reply #7252 on: July 29, 2019, 09:17:58 PM »

Now Now

No one is suggesting that. 

No one is taking the Prophet's side. 

Just suggesting that you don't toss out the babies with the bathwater. The sins of the Prophet are not to be visited upon our fledgling big men. 

Plenty of great players have languished on crappy teams that didn't come close to sniffing a pennant, the finals...that's a specious argument. 

Ted Williams and Stan Musial come readily to mind, all-time greats who both made it to the World Series in 1947, and thereafter, thanks to the hidebound racist policies of the Red Sox and the Cardinals, found their teams consumed in mediocrity
with their collection of leaden white boys, while teams such as the Dodgers, Indians, Giants and Braves went to the bank (and the post-season) thanks to their commitment to signing up the cream of African-American talent.  Branch Rickey and Bill Veeck were surely principled, humanists, but they were not angling for heaven....they were also canny businessmen, and reasoned that he who gets the best ball players, wins the most games, and, incidentally, MAKE THE MOST MONEY. 

Of course, the Yankees of the 1950s were not exactly passing the cup for the NAACP, and when Elston Howard became their first black ballplayer, Casey Stengel famously said, "Well, when we finally get one, and he can't run..."  COUGH. 

I'm not claiming to be prescient by any means, but expectations notwithstanding, I was surely not expecting Durant nor Irving Walker nor Leonard to sign on the bottom line.  I was hoping the Knicks would make a run at either Randle OR Portis, and was gassed when we signed both on a 2+1 and a 1+1 respectively. 

They have been progressing year by year, and I mean, tell me, how easy is it raise your game on crappy teams? 

I too, was startles to hear Kiid assert, with his customary modesty, that in his estimation, Randle is a better player than Maurice Lucas.  Kiid, as you have no doubt noticed over time, likes to rattle Forumite's cages at regular intervals. 

Lucas is a proven pro with a championship resume.  Randle (and Portis) are works in progress, but not JERKS IN REGRESS as you seem to be, if not suggesting, responding in kind to Kiid's theater of the absurd. 

'Nuff said. 

chipstern

• View Profile
Re: El guardia Chico Cartero
« Reply #7253 on: July 29, 2019, 09:18:41 PM »

And here is proof of it:

El Chico Freako

chipstern

• View Profile
Bo D
« Reply #7254 on: July 29, 2019, 09:25:50 PM »

PS: Morris was brought in to play small forward and to kick Kevin Knox's ass, both worthy callings.  Seemed like a sleazy move to y'all, to purloin MM from the Spurs?  Hmmmm...all is fair in love and war.  How many times over the decades have free agents showed us their tits, and signed with someone else?  I mean, how exactly did we get the idea we had a shot at Durant and Irving?
This ain't beanbags, homes.   

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: El guardia Chico Cartero
« Reply #7255 on: July 29, 2019, 10:02:37 PM »

And here is proof of it:

El Chico Freako

Let me guess.

Reluctant to pass, got exposed on d, overrated his own offensive prowess especially when it came to his jumper.

That would explain all of his current pg preferences.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #7256 on: July 29, 2019, 10:21:02 PM »

Analysis of my game as a 21-35 year old

No. Not a point guard. But a decent handle. Perimeter and post skills. Guarded all but the real quick guards including a 7 footer who played D1. Defensive and passing instincts of Bird.  No. Didn’t play or coach in college.

lesterluv

• Burgers are tasty, but I love steak!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7257 on: July 30, 2019, 09:35:41 AM »

Excellent! I think we should all engage in Mao-era style self-analysis of our games. Choose any time period and player comparisons you like.

Analysis of my game as a 14-18 year old. (the highpoint)

Pass-first point guard limited by mediocre handle and small hands. Decent mid-range shot. Rugged rebounder & five position defender eager to bang Debusschere/Mase style with larger players.
*** Mike Byrd said, Would that be Ashli, Ashley or Ashlee? Can never be sure with you white trash types." BAM!***

carlos123

• so cute
    • View Profile
Self-analysis of others
« Reply #7258 on: July 30, 2019, 10:33:46 AM »

Excellent! I think we should all engage in Mao-era style self-analysis of our games. Choose any time period and player comparisons you like.

Analysis of my game as a 14-18 year old. (the highpoint)

Pass-first point guard limited by mediocre handle and small hands. Decent mid-range shot. Rugged rebounder & five position defender eager to bang Debusschere/Mase style with larger players.

Clearly, Chico’s skills far superior. What a surprise!

You sill my favorite doggie 🐶
"I am your warrior and, if you feel you have been wronged or betrayed, I am your retribution, oh yes, your retribution."
- Putin's bitch at CPAC 2023

"Those Hispanics are funny, and they speak really funny"
- Bo Zizzley&Chip Stern

- Prayers for Chamaco Cartero -

- BAN THE AR15-
- Chamaco Cartero

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #7259 on: July 30, 2019, 11:55:36 AM »

Going back to the 1977 Finals.
Some said that Lucas delivering an elbow and standing up to Dawkins near the end of G2 turned the series.  '6ers lost the next 4 games.
But as Paul Harvey used to say, here's The Rest of the Story:

The way the legend goes, the Trail Blazers snatched momentum away from the Philadelphia 76ers in the 1977 NBA Finals with a shove to the back, a few fists and a wild melee at The Spectrum at the end of Game 2.

But in reality, the Blazers truly turned the tide in that memorable series with a far friendlier incident:  a handshake.

During pregame introductions of Game 3, after Blazers fans unrelentingly booed Dawkins, Lucas was introduced before a sellout Memorial Coliseum crowd. But instead of jogging to stand next to his teammates, as was common practice, Lucas trotted toward the 76ers' bench to stand face-to-face with a stunned Dawkins. Some in the crowd gasped and Philadelphia players backed away from the two hulking men, no doubt because they expected another brouhaha. But instead of raising his fists, Lucas reached for Dawkins' right hand, squeezed hard and said: "No hard feelings." Dawkins was frozen.

"After that, he was done," Lucas told The Oregonian/OregonLive in 2010. "One of the smartest things I ever did."

https://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/2017/01/maurice_lucas_blazers_championship_1977.html

Dawkins was a 20-year old man-child.  Luke got into his head.  It was like Foreman and Ali, with Dawkins in the insecure brute role, and Lucas the (24 year old) vet psyching him out.

Dawkins and McGinnis were an all-time physical intimidating pair, but Dawk didn't always have his head together, and McG could also get down, often related to his FT woes, and was in a horrendous slump for the entire playoffs that year. 

But that story shows Lucas' maturity and class.
Btw, I watched some of the '77 Finals G2 on youtube, and while Mo Luke wasn't sharp on offense early, he still finished with 10 1Q points to keep Portland close in a game in which they had lots of sloppy turnovers (similar to their G1 loss).  His defense was solid.  And Luke was a steadying presence.  Twice in the 1st half, commentator Brent Mussberger praised 24 year old Lucas as a clutch player, a key guy in the last 2 minutes, etc.

Lastly, Bill Walton named his son Luke in tribute to his teammate Mo Lucas.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 12:30:31 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---
Pages: 1 ... 482 483 [484] 485 486 ... 1844