Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 485 486 [487] 488 489 ... 1844

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 899382 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #7290 on: July 31, 2019, 06:41:36 PM »

Do we care what we will pay Robinson when his deal is up?

Of course, you do.
Managing salaries is a key part of GMing.
Talent evaluation and financial judgement go hand-in-hand.

MIA miscalculated with Whiteside, somewhat comparable to Mitch, and it hampered their team for years.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #7291 on: July 31, 2019, 06:44:19 PM »

That’s BS

If we were to allow Robinson to leave you would blow up the forum
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #7292 on: July 31, 2019, 07:15:15 PM »

This is extremely nonsensical.

If he morphs into Bill Russell, you max him.
But his salary will depend on his ability/talent level/development.

He's just had a strong rookie year, and is under contact for two more.
Probably the smart thing to do is after this year to extend him at a reasonable rate, while freeing him from the extreme cut-rate team option year of $1.8M.  I assume he'd be very unhappy playing in his 3rd year for $1.8M if he had a good 2nd year as the starting C.
But keeping him at any cost is foolish -- even more so without knowing where his talent/skill level is.

And weren't you the one not wanting to pay KZ, a proven commodity (albeit sustaining an injury) the max?
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #7293 on: July 31, 2019, 07:46:50 PM »

Heh. We shall see

Of course I don’t have him starting

Not the best example

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #7294 on: July 31, 2019, 07:47:18 PM »

Allan Houston maybe?

lesterluv

• Burgers are tasty, but I love steak!
    • View Profile
Show 'em what they know not through flows of hot molasses
« Reply #7295 on: July 31, 2019, 09:07:37 PM »

Well Les, as usual, you're a waste of time.

Either make a case that McCollum is better than Beal, admit you were wrong, or continue to jerk yourself off in goofy posts.

I'll drop my wager on #3.

Well Bo, as usual, you're boring as fuck, wrong, and quail-egg shell sensitive. Little Bo PeeperZ, keeper of civility, doing nothing but attacking the poster cause he ran out of numbers.

Which post was goofy? The one in which I gifted the forum an absolute classic KMD track? More than you'll give in your lifetime for sure.

I'll tell you what was goofy — almost as goofy as your assertion that Lowry had a mediocre playoffs on the way to collecting a ring — your assertion that the Trailblazers somehow f'd up in paying 1/2 of what will be the best starting backcourt in the NBA (with Klay out) when the season begins.

Yeah, I like CJ way better than Beal. And I ain't gonna spend a minute more of my life arguing it cause it doesn't matter -- Portland's choice wasn't teleporting Beal into CJ's roster spot.

The West is wide fucking open for the next few years.
Lebron is 30+++ and AD is only guaranteed a year.
KL played 69 games over the last two years and PG is coming off surgery.
You know what's up with GS and Houston.

You keep that backcourt tight, and you keep building in front of it.

You think the Trailblazers or their fans will be crying about overpaying CJ in the last year of his contract, a career Blazer who loves his team, teammates and city? If they are overpaying him at that point? Hell no. They'll be celebrating his 11th year with the team, probably a few additional team achievements and getting ready to hang his jersey from the roof of the arena.

Stop thinking. Keep drinking. Stay up extra late and bore some folks some more with a thousand words of ham.

**** OK, Bo, here ya go. Here's my case. Actually watch some f'n basketball ya peckerwood clown: https://youtu.be/Lc0SowNUS3w
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 11:10:40 PM by lesterdog »
*** Mike Byrd said, Would that be Ashli, Ashley or Ashlee? Can never be sure with you white trash types." BAM!***

carlos123

• so cute
    • View Profile
Re: Les is NOT less
« Reply #7296 on: July 31, 2019, 09:23:58 PM »

Well Les, as usual, you're a waste of time.

Either make a case that McCollum is better than Beal, admit you were wrong, or continue to jerk yourself off in goofy posts.

I'll drop my wager on #3.

Well Bo, as usual, you're boring as fuck, wrong, and quail-egg shell sensitive. Little Bo Peeper, keeper of civility, doing nothing but attacking the poster cause he ran out of numbers.

Les, you're missing a Z, or more...

Bo Zeeper

Feel free to change the name, but it needs at least one Z, as in KZ, Zingerino, Zallas, etz.

PS. I see you followed my advice and came up with a GREAT NAME: PEEPZ is f’in dope.

Les, you my doggie 🐶
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 01:16:33 AM by carlos123 »
"I am your warrior and, if you feel you have been wronged or betrayed, I am your retribution, oh yes, your retribution."
- Putin's bitch at CPAC 2023

"Those Hispanics are funny, and they speak really funny"
- Bo Zizzley&Chip Stern

- Prayers for Chamaco Cartero -

- BAN THE AR15-
- Chamaco Cartero

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Show 'em what they know not through flows of hot molasses
« Reply #7297 on: August 01, 2019, 03:44:29 AM »

Yeah, I like CJ way better than Beal. And I ain't gonna spend a minute more of my life arguing it cause it doesn't matter

Quite the case.
Along with a brief playoff highlight vid of a career game from McC.
Of course, what's in the vid is not what he's known for.  He rarely blocks anybody or makes a key defensive play, while Lillard usually takes all the late game clutch shots.  Definitely something to build on for McC.
In the next series v. GS, McC shot 39% and POR was swept.
Which has been POR's standard fate in the Lillard-McC era

Lillard & McC have been the West Coast edition of Lowry & DeRozan.  A  competitive regular season duo who fade in the playoffs.  Last year was an exception (though they did flame out in a sweep).  Size, iffy defense and streaky shooting undermine them.  I think POR got a bit lucky last year to get a very good but inexperienced DEN team.  With Hood and Zach giving unexpectedly good support.

Going forward, losing Mo Hark and Aminu will hurt their defense and chemistry.  Whiteside not exactly known as a great teammate.
Will need Hood and Zach to be consistent.
Their bench looks awfully thin (Bazemore and a few young guys).
The Nurkic injury set them back.
47 W's is my call.

Whiteside and Bazemore are both big endings contracts, but the days of flipping those for value seems gone.   And POR can't really afford to add more long-term money.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 03:51:56 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7298 on: August 01, 2019, 03:57:46 AM »

If the Blazers get though this year in one piece, they come back next year with their star duo and significant space. If Nurkic looks sound, that’s a pretty desirable destination. Besides, in the wide open west this year, they probably still have enough to contend and fluke their way through like us in the strike year.

Also, if you have guys you think are going to be good that long, you want to get them wrapped up for a year or two into the next CBA.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #7299 on: August 01, 2019, 12:25:44 PM »

If Blazers win the west they will beat the east representative

No feaux title whatsoever

carlos123

• so cute
    • View Profile
Le Français de Chico
« Reply #7300 on: August 01, 2019, 10:30:15 PM »

No feaux title whatsoever

Feaux ... Qu'est-ce que c'est?

M. Chico, le meneur de jeu.
"I am your warrior and, if you feel you have been wronged or betrayed, I am your retribution, oh yes, your retribution."

- Bo Zizzley&Chip Stern

- BAN THE AR15-
- Chamaco Cartero

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #7301 on: August 02, 2019, 10:51:57 AM »

If the Knix win the East they will beat the West representative.

I guarantee it.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

carlos123

• so cute
    • View Profile
BoZ's Wearhouse
« Reply #7302 on: August 02, 2019, 08:52:54 PM »

If the Knix win the East they will beat the West representative.

I guarantee it.

What kind of guarantee ...

This?

... Or this?

- Bo Zizzley&Chip Stern

- BAN THE AR15-
- Chamaco Cartero

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #7303 on: August 03, 2019, 04:42:42 AM »

Clips really need to add a backup PG.
Right now they have Pa Bev and  ... ?
Folks have Lou Williams as their backup PG, with Paul George expected to do a lot of Point Forward stuff, even with Pa Bev out there.

They seem $2.2M below the tax line.
Possibly still waiting on something with Iggy.
But they should pick up a vet min PG.

Last year was Beverley's first healthy season ever.  He tends to miss a lot of games.  And he's 31 now.  Give them a quality backup PG and spot starter, and I can get on board. 

Their C platoon is competent.  I like Zubac, but he's foul prone.  Motley is interesting but raw.  Kabengele is a late 1st round rook.
So they have coverage.

Shamet, JaMike, Mo Hark, Lou W make for a fine bench.
I really don't know Jerome Robinson at all. #13 pick a year ago, played sparingly on a deep team his rook season.  McGruder might beat him out anyway.  They have a lot of SG's.

I'd like to see some Pa Bev - Lou W/Shamet - PG13 - Kawhi - Montrezl lineups.  That's a lot of energy and hustle and menace.

Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #7304 on: August 03, 2019, 07:40:26 AM »

Is there anything more Knix or more Dolan than this story?

when (former Knix shooting coach Dave) Hopla talked to SNY about his time with the Knicks and that frustrating 2013-14 season, he pointed to another factor in the Knicks' shortcomings: He said McKinsey & Company, a worldwide management consulting firm hired by Madison Square Garden to work with the Knicks and Rangers, had a negative impact on the coaching staff and was the source of confusion and paranoia among some players. The firm's influence led to decisions like not having coaches watch film with players and filling out seemingly endless amounts of paperwork, according to Hopla.

"We got so fed up with them," Hopla said of McKinsey & Company, which declined comment for this story when asked about their work with the Knicks in 2013-14.

Knicks owner James Dolan said in a Q&A in the New York Post in 2013 that he hired the firm to "reprocess" the Knicks and Rangers. The firm was hired before Dolan decided to fire GM Glen Grunwald, which suggests they may have had at least some influence on the decision. Grunwald was let go days before training camp opened in 2013-14. Current team president Steve Mills replaced him general manager.

The timing of the move stunned Hopla and other coaches: "(The season) just started out in a tailspin."

McKinsey & Company's influence continued throughout the season. Hopla said the consulting agency advised coaches to stop watching film with players at one point during the year.

"The players were like, 'Why aren't we watching film?' (We said), 'the McKinsey group told us,' " Hopla recalled. 

Hopla said the consultants also told members of the coaching staff to fill out paperwork documenting how players performed in all workouts, a process Hopla felt was time-consuming (a second source confirms that coaches were asked to fill out the paperwork).

"I told them if we took all that time writing reports and we actually worked the players out, we would have made the playoffs," Hopla said. 

Members of the consulting firm attended practices and games at home and on the road, which, according to Hopla, led to concerns from the players.

"The players started asking who they were," Hopla said. "…. They were worried about maybe they were writing reports about them. They were paranoid."

Hopla questioned why a firm without significant experience in pro basketball was allowed to influence how Knicks coaches approached aspects of their jobs.

So a business firm with no hoops experience comes in, tells hoops lifers how to do their jobs, and everyone gets paranoid and feels someone is watching them all the time.

That's Dolan in a nutshell.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---
Pages: 1 ... 485 486 [487] 488 489 ... 1844