Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 502 503 [504] 505 506 ... 1847

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 906129 times)

chipstern

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #7545 on: September 05, 2019, 06:11:16 PM »

A panel of ESPN insiders selected Rozier's sign-and-trade as one of the offseason's most questionable moves. Doesn't make any sense, wrote one. Mind-boggling, wrote another. Another ESPN survey of 20 anonymous coaches, executives and scouts listed Rozier's acquisition as the third-worst of the summer, behind his other would-be suitors—the Knicks offseason in totality and Ricky Rubio's signing in Phoenix.

heh

Heh2

Are these the same geniuses who excoriated the Giants for drafting Daniel Jones?

Randle and Portis, to name just two of the Knicks' "pathetic" signings , are going to be serving up a banquet table full of crow sashimi soon enough. 

As for Smith-Peyton-Ntilikina.

Though the narrative wherein a veteran presence up and down the roster as a means of motivating and developing our youth is positive, I think you're right to be dubious about the implications of sharing at point guard, let alone at SG and SF. 

Didn't do French Frank any good to see inconsistent, erratic spot minutes the past two seasons (and then for the team to jettison Mudiay ANYWAY). 

Fizdale is going to face a big challenge to sort out some rational rotations, while figuring out a way to keep the likes of Frank and Elfrid, Damyean and Iggy in the flow and involved. 

Or else Scott Perry is going to have to work them phones to thin out the herd. 

PS: Anyone have any thoughts about getting RJ some burn at PG? 
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 06:57:56 PM by chipstern »

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7546 on: September 05, 2019, 07:43:54 PM »

We have a good enough roster this season that the things that work in practice should work in games. If RJ can hold his own or better against Payton, Frank, and Smith, I wouldn’t object.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #7547 on: September 05, 2019, 10:30:57 PM »

Yes,  I like it.  Any backcourt featuring RJ will de-facto run through RJ.

RJ and Frank make a good pair as Frank has low usage and RJ has high usage.

Frank defends.  RJ offers a willing offensive version of what Frank should be.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #7548 on: September 05, 2019, 11:56:59 PM »

You're right.  PHX wanted Rozier.
So more like IF PHX wasn't interested in Rozier, then the Knix might have had a shot.  If the Knix offered 3 years, we could've had Rozier.  But I agree with what the PerMills did.  Try for Rozier for a single year, and not overpay on a 3 year.  Picked up Elfrid at less than half the Rozier rate.

One of LeVert/Dinwiddie is expendable.  But Nets should hold on to Allen, who can learn a lot from DeAndretheGiant.

In what quadrant of the known galaxy? 

LeVert is a scoring machine, and Dinwiddie is superb sixth man option at PG, SG, SF.

But they would be getting Beal

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #7549 on: September 06, 2019, 12:00:01 AM »

Lord....  no.

bodiddley

• View Profile
What the Hey?!?
« Reply #7550 on: September 06, 2019, 02:44:11 AM »

I think you're way over-thinking.
Barrett is a 19 year old rook with plenty to work on (3's & D).
Why even consider trying to have him try to learn the hardest position as well.  Especially as we have 3 PG's on our roster already.  Barrett needs to adjust to the NBA grind and game.  Keep it simple, keep him in a comfort zone as much as possible, try to make things easy for him.
I never understand trying to squeeze players into the PG role when that isn't their game/past.  Kind of like Trier at PG fantasies.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #7551 on: September 06, 2019, 04:27:09 AM »

One of LeVert/Dinwiddie is expendable.  But Nets should hold on to Allen, who can learn a lot from DeAndretheGiant.

In what quadrant of the known galaxy? 

LeVert is a scoring machine, and Dinwiddie is superb sixth man option at PG, SG, SF.

You gotta give to get.
LeVert is an exciting young player, but Beal is better right now, and for the next few years.  Given health, I could see Kyrie, KD and Beal being the nucleus of a title team.

Nets could even flip LeVert for a quality wing starter.  Right now Wil was the projected starter and he needs to demedicate for 1/3 of the season.

Look, Nets have time to see how Kyrie, LeVert and Dimwilly play together.  And if Kyrie and LeVert can stay healthy. 

BUT, this year LeVert, Jar Allen and Kurucs make a combined $7M, so I don't know what nonsense Zach Lowe is providing.  As far as I can tell, LeVert's contract extension doesn't kick in til next year.  And if LeVert is at $2.7M this year, it's hard to see how to get any kind of deal done anyway.

I assume the Netizens probably want to see how this year goes and then what they've got when Durant returns.  A sub-theme/concern this year might be how well KD is recovering.  But Nets have some work to make that team next year with KD & Kyrie true contenders.  Kyrie hasn't exactly been Mr. Health or have a PhD in Chemistry.

I didn't realize they gave DeAndre the Giant a 4 year deal.  A movable deal if he's sluggish or detached, or just doesn't mesh.

I assume this is a feeling out year for the Nets, and try to make a good playoff run.  Then can evaluate when (older, somewhat diminished) KD returns next year.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 04:29:58 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Re: What the Hey?!?
« Reply #7552 on: September 06, 2019, 11:09:15 AM »

I never understand trying to squeeze players into the PG role when that isn't their game/past.  Kind of like Trier at PG fantasies.

Welcome to positionless basketball 2019.  A decade ago you needed a distributor who thought pass first.   Now you need a scoring threat to handle the ball.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #7553 on: September 06, 2019, 11:49:30 AM »

I'm not buying that at the Point.
You still need a distributor out there and a good ballhandler.  And Trier is neither.  Now if you want to let Trier do more combo guard work on the 2nd unit, I could be in favor, but not so much when we have 3 PG's.  Try out a Franc and Trier bench backcourt with both as combo guards.  Fine with me.  But Trier as starting PG is useless. 

The only non-PG's I can think of who play a lot of PG successfully are LeBJ, Dray and Simmons.  Jokic does a lot of passing and orchestrating.  I can't think of any one under 6'8" who is not a PG doing distributing and ballhandling at any decent level.  Tangelo is imo a combo guard, so somewhat qualifies.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: What the Hey?!?
« Reply #7554 on: September 06, 2019, 11:52:35 AM »

Welcome to positionless basketball 2019.  A decade ago you needed a distributor who thought pass first.   Now you need a scoring threat to handle the ball.

I guess the Barrett to PG folks are thinking - hey - it worked for Winslow - but I am still not bullish on it.

Let the kid slash from the wings.

Not playing point doesnt mean he cant play PNR.

So....

over/under on RJB FG% through Dec 31 is........

Over under PPG is.....

Sound about right?

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #7555 on: September 06, 2019, 11:57:31 AM »

It worked for Winslow?

I'll be surprised if Barrett averages over 12 PPG.
But it's hard right now to know how he'll be used, how many minutes he'll get, and if he'll start.  Maybe 22-25 mpg.
Crowded roster.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #7556 on: September 06, 2019, 11:58:44 AM »

The only non-PG's I can think of who play a lot of PG successfully are LeBJ, Dray and Simmons.  Jokic does a lot of passing and orchestrating.  I can't think of any one under 6'8" who is not a PG doing distributing and ballhandling at any decent level.  Tangelo is imo a combo guard, so somewhat qualifies.

And Harden.
And Westbrook.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #7557 on: September 06, 2019, 12:56:10 PM »

Russell has always been a PG - so if your question is is he capable........

resounding yes.

If the question is where they will use him - then sure - combo

I mentioned Winslow.  Not sure what their plans are for him this year in MIA.  Did a real nice job at the point a year ago.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #7558 on: September 06, 2019, 02:00:03 PM »

Yeah, Westbrook has always been a PG.

Add in Harden.
But it underlines my point that you really need a unique transcendent type to pull off playing PG when your natural position is otherwise. 

LBJ, Harden, Simmons.
And to a lesser extent Dray, Jokic who do a lot of playmaking.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7559 on: September 06, 2019, 04:42:01 PM »

I like the idea of Frank, RJ, and Trier as a 3 guard alignment. You could give them lots of space by running them with Morris and Portis, a lineup that rebounds much better than it protects the rim.

I don’t expect anyone but Randle to see 30 minutes a game this season. Morris could do it, but there is too much talent that need time at SF in Knox, Iggy, and Barrett.

My major hope and concern is whether or not we can field a decent defensive squad throughout the season.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman
Pages: 1 ... 502 503 [504] 505 506 ... 1847