Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 25, 2018, 12:38:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Nets  (Read 2315 times)
Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: April 15, 2007, 09:35:06 PM »

Discuss the Nets chances this year.
Detective_Winslow

Don't forget to bring a towel!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 02:45:49 PM »

This is exactly why the Nets need to move to St. Louis of KC.  They are a far better and much more exciting team to watch when compared to the Knicks.    NO NETS POSTS???  They have VC!  C'mon New Yorkers, at least have a fallback.

I hope that I haven't offended anyone.
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 05:34:28 PM »

The New Jersey Nets have delivered a proposal of Richard Jefferson, Nenad Krstic and Jason Collins to the Pacers for Jermaine O'Neal, according to Yahoo! Sports

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 06:11:39 PM »

Sure sounds like the NETS are rolling the dice and going with an anti-youth movement.  Kidd/Vince/JO is so very balanced and could be all you need in the East.  On paper its mo-better star power than they had when they went to the Finals.  As long as the NETS don't have to give up their draft pick in this trade, its a good one for them.  They will have a three-year window to take down the CAVS.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
chipstern
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 10:56:19 PM »

Wow.  Lively forum. 

These laddies cannot get to Brooklyn soon enough. 
j_a_stevenson

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 10:08:34 AM »

Knicks: 4300
Nets: 5

Something in that?

I agree that the Nets should move (and not just to Brooklyn) - they do deserve better (at least they have in recent years).  Looks like there might be an openning in Seattle pretty soon...
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 12:28:55 PM »

There weren't that many NETS posters to begin with in the NYTIMES.

ghg22 showed up here three months back.  no sign of bingarella or the others.

-Dave Attell
lesterdog

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 12:02:40 AM »

Hello.
Anybody home?
Anybody know where you buy a J.Kidd jersey?
How's this Net thing work exactly?
lesterdog

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 11:21:07 AM »

Ok so don't tell me.
I didn't really want to find out anyway.
lesterdog

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 12:40:33 AM »

Whatya wanna do about Kidd?
lesterdog

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 12:40:57 AM »

Whatya wanna do about Kidd?

I don't know, you tell me.
bodiddley
Superhero Member

Bring it to Jerome

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 12:10:33 PM »

I can recount stories about the Piscataway Nets and Bernard's rookie season, and buying $2 student tickets for the Nets at the 8,000 seat Rutgers Athletic Center (and then moving down to empty seats below).  If you stuck around for a half hour or so after the game, you'd see the players exiting out the front door of the building, many of them, such as Howard Porter, wearing full-length fur coats in winter.  Or you could go to the back of the building and see the visitors walking to the bus, some signing autographs or high-fiving or making jokes.
I recall Super John Williamson hitting a long jump shot while falling away into the bench.  Notable because this was a few years prior to the 3-point rule.  Possibly he was just having an ABA flashback.

So I've seen teams go 24-58 before.
They also had smart marketing where the Nets were only viewable on Sportschannel on something entirely new and unlikely to succeed called "cable TV" while the Knicks were on honest over-the-airwaves Channel 9.  So I grew up watching the Knicks and became NY fan.  Fate is cruel, as I could have been rooting for a playoff team the past three seasons.
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 12:14:21 PM »

Discuss the Nets chances this year.

Do we have to?
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2008, 12:56:19 PM »

I can recount stories about the Piscataway Nets and Bernard's rookie season, and buying $2 student tickets for the Nets at the 8,000 seat Rutgers Athletic Center (and then moving down to empty seats below).  If you stuck around for a half hour or so after the game, you'd see the players exiting out the front door of the building, many of them, such as Howard Porter, wearing full-length fur coats in winter.  Or you could go to the back of the building and see the visitors walking to the bus, some signing autographs or high-fiving or making jokes.
I recall Super John Williamson hitting a long jump shot while falling away into the bench.  Notable because this was a few years prior to the 3-point rule.  Possibly he was just having an ABA flashback.

So I've seen teams go 24-58 before.
They also had smart marketing where the Nets were only viewable on Sportschannel on something entirely new and unlikely to succeed called "cable TV" while the Knicks were on honest over-the-airwaves Channel 9.  So I grew up watching the Knicks and became NY fan.  Fate is cruel, as I could have been rooting for a playoff team the past three seasons.

best POST on the forum~! 

I never knew the NETS played at the Rac.  Thats crazy.  The Rac is tiny.  Worse, its in the middle of nowhere.

-Dave Attell
bodiddley
Superhero Member

Bring it to Jerome

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2008, 02:24:31 PM »

Yeah, the RAC is small.  I thought it held around 5k, but saw noticed that the Nets averaged just under 5,000 fans, so did a quick google and it seems to hold 8,000.

My dad would drive me and my brother and maybe a friend or two over to the RAC in our green Ford station wagon.  We'd call when we wanted to be picked up.  Only about a 15 minute ride from Edison.

Eddie Jordan (ex-Rutgers) was a fan favorite, and Phil Action Jackson played out his last year in NJ.  Kevin Porter set the record for most assists in a game as a Net in 1978 -- 29 -- which held up until Scott Skiles broke it.  I remember we were bummed we missed it.

I think the Nets played there for 3 or 4 years until the Meadowlands opened.
Basically during the Carter Admin, and just prior to the Magic-Bird NBA revival.
Of course here's always a slump in quality after expansion, just like today.
And 1977 saw 4 ABA teams incorporated into the league.

Looks like 4 seasons at the RAC, and then '81-82 they moved to the Swamp ... where incidentally they had their first winning record under their new coach Larry Brown.  Drafting Buck Williams didn't hurt.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 02:59:19 PM by bodiddley » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: