• View Profile
Re: NBA
« Reply #210 on: September 10, 2019, 01:56:51 PM »

Spain beats US or France

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 11, 2019, 02:26:10 AM »

France looked decent to me, but more like a Brazil-level team.
One thing is Gobert makes it tough on drivers, so US either needs to make some 3's, get FT's, or move the ball well.  Gobert also probably means Lopez gets out there more.  Miles Turner can try to bring Gobert out to guard midrange.
France = Fournier, Gobert, Batum
They'll be competitive, but US should put them away.
US gets off to slow starts and wins 2nd halves so far.
Maybe Pop should start Jaylen.

Spain a better team.  But Rubio and Lull are erratic.  Gasol a bit slow these days.  Gotta keep tabs on Rudy F.  Stop his 3's and the US should win.

I don't think France is a big threat. 
Spain more so. 
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 12, 2019, 11:42:25 AM »

I mentioned the US getting out to slow starts and thought they should change the lineup.  Well, how about a 32-7 1Q deficit.  Embarrassing.
US outscored Serbia 33-12 in the 2Q, so was just down 4 at the half.

No idea why Joe Horror started.  But he played 22 mins and had a team worse -17.  Teams just attack him.  Smart didn't play -- possibly dinged up from careening around last game.  Why start Kemba - Mitchell - Harris?  That's some weak D.

You know you're in trouble when Harrison "Pretty Good" Barnes is your high scorer.  Middleton finally had a good scoring game.

Bogdanovic had a terrific game for Serbija.  7-14 on 3's.

US should have lost to Turkey, who choked badly.
Which would have meant a 3-3 record.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 09, 2019, 12:20:00 PM »

So I wonder if I should try to attend the Lakers-Nets game tomorrow night.  Not sure if this is all going to go smoothly or if it might turn into some weird anti-foreigner protest.

My hope is all the Chinese boycott and I can just waltz in and sit in the front row.  Heckle LeBJ.

I might just play hoops instead, as I have a Thursday night game form 8-10.   Kind of pathetic that China cancelled the TV broadcast of the NBA.  But I wouldn't likely be home anyway.  Maybe they can show my pickup game instead.  Then you cna marvel at my semi-deadly quick turnaround-3.

In cases where anti-foreigner fever sweeps Shanghai, it's a good thing I'm from Iceland.  Though maybe it'll be Ireland this time.  (I don't roll with Canada, as there could easily be Chinese more familiar with any given Canadian city than I am).
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 06:20:40 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
LeBron James says - think before you tweet
« Reply #214 on: October 15, 2019, 01:04:50 PM »

LeBron James
‏@KingJames

My team and this league just went through a difficult week.  I think people need to understand what a tweet or statement can do to others.  And I believe nobody stopped and considered what would happen.  Could have waited a week to send it.

LeBron James
@KingJames

Let me clear up the confusion. I do not believe there was any consideration for the consequences and ramifications of the tweet.  I’m not discussing the substance.  Others can talk About that.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
LeBron is anti-democracy
« Reply #215 on: October 15, 2019, 01:08:33 PM »

LeBron James says NBA exec was 'misinformed' in his tweet supporting Hong Kong protests

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Real Talk: LeBron James edition
« Reply #216 on: October 15, 2019, 01:11:54 PM »

You Darryl, you inconvenienced me.  I'm not mad at what you said i'm mad at when you said it.  In the meantime i'll muddy the issue by saying you were misinformed in supporting a democratic hong kong.  Which makes me look like a puppet of China's ruling party.  Which maybe i am.

i.e Don't make me look bad in front of my chinese money backers.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 15, 2019, 02:24:58 PM »

In most ways, I think China is on the right side of things in HK.  In general, I'm sympathetic to any protest against repressive authority.
But first off, HK has never been a democracy, has never chosen it's leaders solely through popular vote.  Britain only started expanding democracy in HK after the agreement with China was reached and the handover date was approaching. 

Secondly, China has largely abided by the 1 country 2 system approach for 20 years, giving HK a significant degree of autonomy.  Sure at times China interprets the Basic Law in its favor and has incrementally increased its hold/control over HK.  And the extradition bill which sparked this year's protests was such a small but potentially dangerous China overreach.  Yet China has largely kept it's word and allowed HK to remain autonomous.   

Third, the protests in HK have increasingly had a violent element, and a gov't can't accept having its only airport shut down, police attacked with weapons, main business districts blocked and shut down, etc.  China has shown restraint by letting HK deal with the protests.

Lastly, I'm not sure what the protesters end game is.  They want the HK leader to resign, but every post-handover HK leader has been approved by Beijing.  And so would any replacement.   The voting/selection process is set-up/rigged to allow that.

I don't think Daryl Morey or most US politicians know much about HK's history and status.

Aren't there any Muslim NBAers these days?  That's where China deserves criticism.  And so you don't think I've gone all soft, I thought the moment is ripe for Trump to whip out a Reagan Berlin Wall moment.  Forget about little HK, challenge China's government legitimacy. 

(or even start small and ask why Twitter is blocked in China -- what is the gov't afraid of?  I mean it is Trump's platform of choice)

« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 04:03:41 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 19, 2019, 07:44:55 AM »

Only 4 NBAers have won both the MVP and Defensive Player of the Year award in their career.
Name that quartet.

Bonus: Which two did it in the same season?

Helpful Hint: DPOY only dates back to the early 80's.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 19, 2019, 01:10:22 PM »

Andre Emmett former 2nd round draft pick (#35), was shot and killed in Dallas.  Was sitting in his SUV at 2:AM in a driveway.  2 guys with guns walk up force him out of the vehicle and he runs fast down the sidewalk and they gunned him down.

Emmett played in the D-League and all over the world.  Had a very productive stint in China.  Scored 71 in a game which at that time (2010?) was the single game record.  I think later broken by Bonzi, maybe Jimmer too.

Anyway, sad stuff.  Harrison Barnes said he played pickup Summer games with Emmett 3 years running.  Talented hoopster, just a tad below NBA level.  Maybe 2 inches taller than his 6'5" and he could've been a credible NBA SF.  He was really an aggressive player in China.  Fun to watch.  Him and another 2nd rounder Charles Gaines were pretty dominant some years back.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 22, 2019, 12:03:57 PM »

5 overs
Denver     53.5
Utah        53.5
LA Clippers  52.5
Portland     45.5
New York   27.5

DEN, UTA and POR all have terrific home court advantage.
I think Utah is going to be a strong 2-way team in the regular season.  Conley a perfect fit for them.  Bog gonna look terrific there too.  If they had been able to keep Favors, I'd give them the title. 

DEN has talent and depth.  Really like the Grant addition.

I'm not big on POR at all, but they should win 46+ games.  They've got 2 go-to guys to help win close games.

Knix should be able to scratch out 28+ W's.  We have a lot of depth and can wear teams down.  Things could go ugly, but it's not like 28 W's is pretty.

Only worry on Clips is health.  And a possible slow start while PG is out the first month.

5 unders
Boston       49.5
Dallas        42.5
Philadelphia  55
Atlanta        34
Cleveland    24

49 W's seems high for Celts, with Horford gone. 
DAL:  KZ might take a few months to get the rust out and trust in.
Can Doncic hit all those crazy late game shots again?
Thin team.

PHI has to sort some things out.  Like who takes the last shot.
And health.  Horford and JoshRich are nice additions.  Kind of hate to pick the under as I think I'll be pulling for them.  I'm a Josh Rich fan.

34 W's for ATL.  Like what they've done and where they're heading.  Just not sure it equates to actual W's this year.

CLE might go full tank.  And trade Love away.  And I don't like Sextant much.

I ordered by Win Total.
maybe I should have ranked my confidence instead (?)

Brooklyn    42.5  Over
Charlotte    23     Even
Chicago      34     Under
Detroit      37.5   Over
Golden State    47.5 Over
Houston     54.5    Under
Indiana     46.5     Under
LA Lakers     48.5   Under
Memphis     27.5    Under
Miami         44.5     Under
Milwaukee     57.5   Under
Minnesota      35.5   Under