« Reply #405 on: March 13, 2020, 08:56:27 AM »

PELS:  Zion, Ingram, Ballzo, Jaxson Hayes
DAL:   Luka, KZ, Funky-Smith, Brunson
ATL:   Trae, Collins, Hunter, Huerter, Reddish
PHI:   Simmons, Embiid, Thybull, Shake Milty
MIN:  KAT, Tangelo, Culver, Okogie
PHX:   Booker, Ayton, Bridges
GRiZ:  Ja, Brooks, Jackson, [Clark]

Just for reference so I don't have to do it again and won't forget which teams have a strong yute brigade.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Re: NBA
« Reply #406 on: May 02, 2020, 10:55:06 PM »

Morey Tweet
Stern death
Kobe crash
Covid-19

Worst season ever?
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #407 on: May 09, 2020, 04:38:18 AM »

Solve Luka's Clutch Issues

Ron Jenkins/Associated Press
For a team in the early stages of contention, the Mavericks don't have a lot of roster needs. They have the necessary two stars, a host of secondary playmakers, shooters and perimeter defenders, and several serviceable rim protectors.

So we're digging deep to find an issue that, if it's not solved, could halt Dallas' return to prominence.

After performing well enough late in games as a rookie, Luka Doncic has disappeared in big moments this year. The superstar has a minus-9.0 net rating in clutch situations and is shooting just 32.3 percent from the field over 26 games.

Is this just a sophomore slump, or indicative of a larger problem for Dallas' playoff potential? It's tough to tell right now.

On one hand, Luka's elite basketball IQ and excellent statistical production in the first 43 minutes of games suggests it's only a matter of time before he figures out the last five. If Stephen Curry and James Harden, two average vertical athletes in their own right, can lead elite offenses to playoff series victories, why can't Luka?

However, Luka's lack of top-tier athleticism was a question in the draft, so perhaps that mild shortcoming will keep rearing its ugly head for the precocious 21-year old throughout his career.

Doncic cannot shoulder all the blame. Dallas has the fourth-worst clutch net rating leaguewide, and no individual Maverick boasts a positive net rating in those situations. But as the engine of the team's normally elite offense, Luka does bear the most responsibility for Dallas' late-game struggles.

I noticed this too.
As a rook, Doncic made some crazy and icredible clutch plays in the last few minutes of games.  Some games he would go back and forth between mucking up and heroics, but seemed to get otherworldly when it mattered.  Some shots were like 30' bombs.

This year Luka and the team haven't been winning close games.  The crazy magic running low?  They had KZ miss a bunch of games, and their chemistry was a work in progress.  And KZ wasn't clutch either.

I assume they'll work it out.  But you'd want Luka taking or creating better late game ops.  And you want KZ being a threat/decoy in end game situations.  You don't want to rely on Tim jr or Scurry2 too much, but those guys can shoot form distance when hot.

Probably just a soph (endgame) slump.  but teams adjust, and Luka needs to rein in some of the slop.  And they need to get the chemistry issues ironed out.  Fortunately they have Carlisle who is one of the solidest coaches out there.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: May 09, 2020, 08:05:53 AM »

A 2015 ReDraft:
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2885437-re-drafting-the-2015-nba-draft-class

They bump KZ up to 3rd, leaving the Knix with Myles Turner.

They wind up with 6 2nd rounders and 4 undrafteds in their new 1st round.
That's 1/3 of the players.  Including 3 2nd rounders they have in their Top 8.

They slot Muddy in at 30.
They should also quickly list maybe a handful of Others/2nd rounders.

A weird draft with a very funky Top 10.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #409 on: May 09, 2020, 01:12:32 PM »

Knicks pass on Winslow a second time

Heh

Here I would take Russell ...but Justice over Turner.

Good draft.  That 21-30 is impressive
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: May 09, 2020, 01:57:18 PM »

Good draft.  That 21-30 is impressive

Unfortunately, Knix took Jerian Grant #19.
But I don't see much in 21-30.

The 2nd round, 31-41 was pretty nice: Montrezl, Richaun Holmes, Willy, Josh Rich, Connaughton.  Norm Powell #45.

Weird draft, since 6 of the Top 9 shouldn't have been near that high.  Including 3 or 4 so far busts.

I still think Winslow was overrated.
Went about where he should.
And I'd take MyTurn over Winslow without hesitation.
Turner is a nice two-way player, with an inside-outside game.
Just could use more aggression, to up his motor a little.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: May 09, 2020, 05:22:38 PM »

Sam Smith:

But Michael singled him [Ho Grant] out on the broadcast [as a primary Smith source for his book] because, you know, Horace was the one who would often stand up to Michael on behalf of the players. In practice, when Jordan sucker punched Will Perdue, Will was practically crying and didn’t fight back; Horace was the one who went to fight back. Horace wasn’t in the card games with Michael, wasn’t in his group and didn’t hang around with him, but he would stand up to him. Horace was going to be a Marine before he turned to basketball; that was always his dream. And that’s why he was so close with Johnny Bach, the military guy on the staff. Horace wasn’t as quick-witted as Michael or as sharp, but Michael didn’t like that Horace wasn’t intimidated by him. He’s still holding that grudge, just like he is with Isiah Thomas and Jerry Krause.

Interesting and likely why Ho Grant was gone after the first run.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: May 09, 2020, 05:26:19 PM »

unfortunately, Knix took Jerian Grant #19.
But I don't see much in 21-30

lol

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: May 09, 2020, 05:36:31 PM »

Sam Smith also excuses Jordan's "Republicans buy sneakers too" quip as just a joke.
And that Jordan didn't have any political philosophy (probably or knowledge).

But jokes often contain truths, and Jordan was about the money and marketing.  And when he was asked to make a difference and try to help remove a hardcore racist in Storm Thurmond from his home state, Jordan punted.  I never liked Jordan's proffered reason that he had never met Harvey Gantt, as I'm sure it would have been very easy to get the two together for a sit-down if Jordan was willing.  So that always seemed like a BS excuse to me.  And if Jordan was too busy or apolitical, he could have sent a trusted aid to suss it out and see if he should endorse Gantt.  Jordan's mother asked him to film an endorsement commercial  for Gantt.

Jordan of course could remain disengaged, but then it's fair for folks to think of him as greedy and selfish and disconnected.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: May 09, 2020, 05:42:49 PM »

unfortunately, Knix took Jerian Grant #19.
But I don't see much in 21-30

lol

Instead of doing your patented ass routine, why don't you tell us who you like there.  I see Nance and a few limited role players.
I don't really know Jarell Martin, wasn't even sure which team he was on.  Might never have seen him play (his limited minutes).

11-16 was the best part below the Top 4.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 01:14:32 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: May 12, 2020, 01:32:29 PM »

So ESPN ranked the 74 bets NBA players ever, since the 74th season is discontinued and they need to fill up their website with something.

Ranking the top 74 NBA players of all time: Nos. 40-11

The Top 12 is pretty much what you'd expect.  Though I haven't clicked to see the order they went with.

Probably something like:
MJ, LeBJ, Russ, Kareem, Magic,
Wilt, Bird, Shaq, Duncan, Kobe
I see they have:
11. Oscar  12 Hakeem

Then they put 13 Scurry & 14 Durant in a trend of putting today's players too high, likely since most fans who care about the NBA and rankings are younger folks who have never really seen the dinosaurs of yesterday play.
Kawhi @ 25 seems way high.

To me, the interesting run is the all-time PG's:
28 Stockton
29 Iverson (was a he a PG?)
30. Nash
31. I say uh (Isiah)

35. Kidd
39. Clyde
40. Chris Paul
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: May 12, 2020, 01:43:43 PM »

FWIW, they have:
37 Ewing
39 Clyde
59 McAdoo
60 Willis
64 Pearl
69 Bernard
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 02:39:56 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: May 12, 2020, 02:25:55 PM »

Disrespectful to Patrick.  Was he a cut below Hakeem, yes.  David Robinson? No.  And he was way more dominant than the Karl Malones and Charles Barkleys of the era (Namely Karl Malone and Charles Barkley).  If Patrick is that low then Zo and Dikembe shouldn't even make the list.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 02:27:32 PM by Kam »
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #418 on: May 12, 2020, 02:44:58 PM »

I forget where I hear this but a recent opinion on the airwaves was that a 4th LeBron title this year would be tainted - and shouldn't be counted in the march toward Jordan's 6.

Just a bit preposterous, I'd say

Related - is it better to make 9/10 Finals to 6, having won 6 - or is the 6/6 better?

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: May 12, 2020, 02:46:45 PM »

On the same show, heard, "there will NEVER be another LeBron - nobody will ever do this again after age 35"

Sounds like "never be another Mike,"
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 81