Voting closed: June 01, 2022, 11:20:06 PM

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 81

Author Topic: NBA  (Read 64494 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: NBA
« Reply #975 on: June 03, 2021, 06:55:02 PM »

Banks, I was born in Woodside, NY, sojourned in Texas and North Carolina for a few years each then returned to NY, but for most of the last Decade I’ve lived in San Diego. I chose San Diego primarily for all the ways its not LA and have never for a moment regretted my choice.

When I poop on Boston, it’s with love, not the visceral revulsion I try to experess when discussing Philly.

I suppose you could could paint me in a satellite of LA and therefore in its orbit, but I’d consider it a low blow.

In LA they tend to advertise shit they don’t develop, while we here tend to develop shit we don’t advertise. Totally different way of going about things.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #976 on: June 03, 2021, 07:09:30 PM »

Banks, I was born in Woodside, NY, sojourned in Texas and North Carolina for a few years each then returned to NY, but for most of the last Decade I’ve lived in San Diego. I chose San Diego primarily for all the ways its not LA and have never for a moment regretted my choice.

When I poop on Boston, it’s with love, not the visceral revulsion I try to experess when discussing Philly.

I suppose you could could paint me in a satellite of LA and therefore in its orbit, but I’d consider it a low blow.

In LA they tend to advertise shit they don’t develop, while we here tend to develop shit we don’t advertise. Totally different way of going about things.

Fac I think our tribal sports warfare is funny on one hand, but toxic on another. But I was serious about people's needs to point fingers rather than accept some responsibility for their own shit. Last night Chip thought he was making a point about Boston by posting "Pumpsie Green". He didn't. I won't bore you, or myself bt repeating them, the posts are on the knicks forum.

i any case never been to LA or SD, (been to SF several times-mostly biz) heard nothing but nice things about SD-God's country.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: June 04, 2021, 07:20:39 AM »

I guess Hammy didn't hear about popcorn night in Philly?

Seems Mare from Easttown had one too many Rolling Rocks

I'd say stay class Philly, but why bother asking for the impossible?

LMAO

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/05/27/russell-westbrook-popcorn-philadelphia-fan/

Popcorn? It's easy to sum it up when you're just talking about popcorn. We're sitting in here, and supposed to be talkin' 'bout the knee injury to the franchise player, and we in here talking about popcorn.  I mean, listen, we're talking about popcorn, not a game, not a game, not a game, we talking about popcorn. Not a game. Not, not … Not the game that our team and our fans go out there and die for and cheer and be in and play every game like it's our last. Not the game, but we're talking about popcorn, man. I mean, how silly is that? … And we talking about popcorn!

Hammy you protesteth too much, you seemed to want to talk about a bottle of Poland Springs rather than a ball game

Just exposing the humorless nature of the committed NBA fan.

There is very good bass fishing in SD. The Bronx Zoo is a superior zoo to the one in SD. SD is Mexico with the military present.

LA?  H. L. Mencken called it “72 suburbs in search of a city.”  William Faulkner named it “the plastic asshole of the world.”

It's basically Northern NJ with nicer weather, earthquakes, wild fires, and mudslides added for more entertainment.

SD is a very beautiful place and LA has a certain vibe.

I've been there and to SF, which was a ridiculously expensive town with an arrogant self-important population and a large bridge. The bridge is no more exciting or special than the GWB or the Twin DMBs that span from NJ.

All that said, it's part of the Northeast "charm" to commit with an excess of passion to one's urban sports representives. You really don't see that truly rabid commitment as much in other parts of the country. Except in college football, which is its own disease.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 07:37:31 AM by Hamilton Samuels »
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #978 on: June 04, 2021, 02:57:45 PM »

Fac I think our tribal sports warfare is funny on one hand, but toxic on another. But I was serious about people's needs to point fingers rather than accept some responsibility for their own shit. Last night Chip thought he was making a point about Boston by posting "Pumpsie Green". He didn't. I won't bore you, or myself bt repeating them, the posts are on the knicks forum.

i any case never been to LA or SD, (been to SF several times-mostly biz) heard nothing but nice things about SD-God's country.

We do our level best with what we got.

Sport is the circuses. Societies have created meaningless contests so masses of people can focus their least governable emotions into them as a counterbalance to punishing expressions of those same emotions in almost every other public sphere. At one point it was a great advance socially, and one could say it took us far in achieving its purpose. That said, it may well be time to update and upgrade our circuses.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #979 on: June 06, 2021, 08:41:45 PM »

Looking good last night -

Tim Hardaway Jr
Andre Drummond
Dennis Schroder
and
DOC RIVERS

T Lue gotta step up

And DID!
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: June 07, 2021, 08:43:23 AM »

We do our level best with what we got.

Sport is the circuses. Societies have created meaningless contests so masses of people can focus their least governable emotions into them as a counterbalance to punishing expressions of those same emotions in almost every other public sphere. At one point it was a great advance socially, and one could say it took us far in achieving its purpose. That said, it may well be time to update and upgrade our circuses.

There's a lot of bread in those circuses. Think about it.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #981 on: June 07, 2021, 09:55:41 PM »

Welcome tonight to the World of Chris Paul

Please be respectful
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: June 18, 2021, 06:53:47 PM »

Oh boy!

The Celts traded Kemba Walker and picked up Al Horford!
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #983 on: July 31, 2021, 09:53:48 AM »

ATL
Trae - Bogdan O'vich - DeAndre Hunter - Collins - Capela
Delon -  Kev Huerter - Cam Reddishness - Gallo - Okongwu
Rooks: Cooper - Jalen Johnson

Strong starters; a heap of depth.
Need to re-sign Collins for ~ $20M
Pick up a vet min C to fill-in until Okongwu returns from shoulder surgery

Issues:
- Not enough minutes for everybody.
- Gallo a pricey $20M backup.  And they're trying to weed out weak defenders.  Now or mid-season when Okongwu returns, I'd be looking to move Gallo.  I'd see what Gallo & Reddish could bring back (if Hunter is healthy)
- See how healthy Hunter is.
- Keep Snell if reasonably priced; let LouW walk.

Real interesting, quality team.  Impressive depth.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 10:29:24 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #984 on: August 02, 2021, 08:35:16 AM »

Doncic 16-0 in international play.
By beating Spain, Slovenia (#16) gets Germany (#17)  in the knockout round.  Spain (#2) in an elimination game with the US (#1).

Spain doubled Luka all night and banged him around.
Doncic would split double-teams, only to find a 3rd Spaniard in his way (got two early charging fouls that way).  Luka found teammates, Cancar shot well, and their two C's hit the glass and got putbacks (and some nice inside feeds from Doncic).

Spain in trouble.  They have an aging team.  Rubio has been their highest scorer in these Olympics.  Rubio had a nice game, setting up teammates, crafty drives.  But he's still a poor shooter.  7-23 FG.  1-8 on 3's, including clanking what would have been a tying shot with under a minute to go.
23 FG's in 24 mins for Rubio?  Relying on Rubio as top scorer?

The reality is Rubio is their only good player still in his prime / under 33.
Their team is still dominated by the old/golden generation, most of whom had NBA stints -- Pa & Ma Gasol (41, 36), Rudy Fernandez (36), Sergio Rodriguez (35), Victor Claver (33) and Llull (33) who never came stateside.
Even Rubio (31) is now on the downside of 30. 
Willy Hernangomez (27), Arbines (28), Juancho (26) and Albalde (25) are all the next generation has had to offer.  Otherwise Usman Garuba, just picked #23 by HOU is 19 years old -- saw just 7 minutes v. Slovenia.

Spain is an old, slow team.  I imagine they are just going to foul and roughhouse the US team since they won't be able to keep up with them on drives or in transition.  I doubt Ma & Pa Gasol have enough oomph to punish the small US team inside.  (maybe see if Willy can?)  Spain has some gunners, but they can't drive.  Guard the perimeter, get out and run, and Spain will be a corpse.  Spain likely not enough to exploit the weak D of Lillard and Lavine.  Shut down Rubio and Spain has just long 3's left.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #985 on: August 04, 2021, 03:45:13 AM »

US didn't have an easy time beating Rubio and a congregation of old Spaniards.  Bo scored as much as Ma & Pa Gasol combined.

It's an odd US team.
Lillard, Booker and LaVine are weak defenders.  Part of why Rubio could get 38 in 27 mins.  You see things like LaVine just dying on a screen.
JRue is a skilled defender, but his effort/effectiveness really came and went.  A very up and down defensive game for Holiday v. Espana.
While the US doesn't have any backline Bigs to clean up the messes.  No real shotblockers.  Well, there's Javale but he doesn't play.

Otherwise, you could see the US team not familiar with each other.
No one seemed to know how to play off what Green Dray was doing.
Extra passes often led to more extra passes, with no one sure when they should shoot. (okay, Durant and Lillard aren't shy, but other players passed up open shots often).  Essentially, the offensive hierarchy hasn't been determined.  Except Durant as 1A.

The US started Bam and Jrue.  Versus Slovenia, if that comes about, you'd probably want Middleton starting to thwart Luka.  Dray and Tatum can also take turns seeing the Luka Experience up close.   I'd probably do the same as US did with Spain, shut down Cancar and Dragic and the supporting cast.  And force Luka to do it all himself.  Rubio only had 2 assists.  US also has nice length/athleticism to get steals, though that was easier with Spain's smaller G's.  US needs to keep Slovenia's two Bigs off the boards.
Spain had only 12 assists, but 19 more boards than the USofA.

Rudy Fernandez and the Gasol Bros. all likely end their international careers without scoring a point.  Worse for Spain, the next generation Arbrines and Albalde also failed to score (Willy did all right).  19 year old Garuba looked nicely active, though he made mistakes.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #986 on: August 05, 2021, 03:26:09 PM »

US played the 1st 3rd of the game lethargically.  Only Durant was playing like the game mattered.  Lotta turnovers and slow-footed D.  US couldn't stop Paddy Mills from getting wherever he wanted.  Fouled a lot.  And gave up open 3's.  OZ was up by 15 at one point.

US could use a PG stopper.  They tried KD on Mills, and it didn't work.
Rubio went off last game.  Mills was wreaking havoc; even Exum went for 14 in 20 mins.

US much better energy 2nd half, but still overpassing and turning down drives and short shots in favor of swinging the ball to the 3-point line.
Except for Durant and Tatum, USA shot just 3-17 on 3's.  Only got 14 FT's as a team.  Take it inside more.  Collapse the D more.

Lillard looks distracted.  OZ were doubling him far out and the US couldn't find open men and take advantage of the 4-on-3.  And Dame doesn't do D.
US could really use an orchestator, but Lillard had 1 assist in 17 mins.

Dray Green was mostly a mess, fouling out with 3 turnovers and 2 points.  Half his rebounds were after he missed a simple layup.

US lucky AUS is another old and slow team.  Also Goulding kept misfiring on 3's.  And OZ rebounded poorly.  OZ looked like the more coherent, but less talented team
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• View Profile

Richard P. Feynman

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #988 on: September 02, 2021, 12:32:57 PM »

According to Hoopshype there are 499 NBA-salaried players (including plenty such as J Earl Smith, Yubasele, Larry Sanders getting paychecks despite being out of the league).

141 players make under $2M
59 players make between $2M - $3M
So that's 200 out of 500 make $3M or less.

the median salary is exactly $4M (T Davis, Dorian Funky-Smith, Gorgi Dieng)

120 players make between $4M - $10M ($10M men: Danny Green; Satoransky)
127 make over $10M
(including 6 on rookie contracts: Luka, Ayton, Cade, Bagley, Zion, Edwards)

59 make $20M or more
33 $30+M
8 players rake in $39M or more

The full MLE ($9.7M) gets you Montrezl, Ibaka, Crowder, Derrick Jones, Tristan Thompson, Favors -- most on one year deals. And just slightly below on $9.5M deals: Bullox, Burks, Talen Hortonhearsawho
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: October 07, 2021, 04:05:56 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/07/sport/nba-players-fraud-scheme-charges/index.html

Stupid criminal behavior, if what is reported is even half true.

A claim for one place while playing on a different continent at the time of the services?! Dumb, dumb, dumb.

18 former NBA players charged.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 81