Author Topic: NBA  (Read 64514 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Nets
« Reply #195 on: September 06, 2019, 04:36:53 AM »

Kyrie - LeVert - Joe Harris - KD - TheAndre
Dimwiddie - Kurucs - Jarret Allen

That's a pretty strong team.
Nice mix of defense and scoring, shooting and driving.
Though there's a number of injury risks for them.
And I've never been a Kyrie fan.
LeVert and Allen still developing.

But that's next year.
Slot in Wil once allowed and things are not as exciting.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: NBA
« Reply #196 on: September 06, 2019, 05:38:18 AM »

Rui Hachimura will miss Japan's final two FIBA World Cup games because of knee discomfort and general fatigue.
Hachimura was held to four points on 2-for-8 shooting in a 98-45 loss to the U.S
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 06, 2019, 09:44:29 AM »

He had a nice dunk though,
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 06, 2019, 10:14:20 AM »

Rui Hachimura will miss Japan's final two FIBA World Cup games because of knee discomfort and general fatigue.
Hachimura was held to four points on 2-for-8 shooting in a 98-45 loss to the U.S

They had ONE JOB - and did it well, apparently.

Get well, Hachi.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 06, 2019, 10:15:13 AM »

By the way, ESPN+ is turning out to be not so bad. Lots of content.

I like to be able to watch the replays -  like the disaster Belinda Bencic loss in Open semis (led 5-2, lost 7-5 second set).

Womens collegiate soccer another highlight
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 10:16:49 AM by kiidcarter8 »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 06, 2019, 10:18:57 AM »

Did you get a good look at Watanabe?  Hope to see him getting some minutes with Grizz this year.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 06, 2019, 11:39:51 AM »

So far I only saw the opening match CHina v. Ivory Coats.
And the US- Czech tilt.

And I saw highlights of US- Turkey and Brasil-France.

I've been getting home too late to see the games and they don't seem to be showing any replays.

When I was leaving the gym after hoops tonight, I joined 5 guys huddled around a mobile phone streaming the final minute of CHina-Korea.  Korea got sloppy and lost.  China shouldn't have been in such a tight game with them.

My friend told me that China lost to Poland the other day.  I asked,but apparently Lampe isn't on the Polish team.  Surprising, since he's still good, and he's played in China a few years now, so could help his team get comfortable, and he knows all the Chinese players. 
When I've seen lampe in the CBA, he's talented and good but lazy.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 07, 2019, 10:47:11 AM »

Only caught the 4Q of US-Greece. 
US was up 16 with 9 mins to play, Greece made a solid run to get within 11 I think.  Giannis wasn't in and didn't come back in.  His brother was out there.  USA looked somewhat sloppy and disjointed but talented enough to outplay their lack of chemistry.  Kemba and Mitchell seemed to be the stabilizers.  Kemba has looked quite good what I've seen, even if they do call a bunch of fouls on him.  I like Joe Harris, but he's a poor defender and Greece went at him a bunch in the 4Q.

Saw highlights of France-Lithuania.
Lithuania put together a nice 4Q comeback form 11 or so down to tkae the lead late, but lost by 3.  In between Lithuanian inside buckets, they showed our old friend Kuz cheering form the bench.  Then as Fournier and Nando DeColo led France, there was Franc singing La Marseillaise or whatever from the pine.

Looks like Franc had 0 points (0-3 FG), 4 fouls, a pair of assists and boards and forgot some of the words to the anthem.
Franc started, but DeColo scored 21 in 24 minutes.  Popping in half of his 6  3-Attempts and getting 7 FT's.
Kuzminkas scored the same nada as Franc in 9 minutes.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 10:49:41 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 08, 2019, 06:39:58 AM »

Pretty entertaining Tunisia-Angola match.  i watched the opening 6 mins then kept catching bits mid-game, until settling in last 6 mins.  Game of runs.  Tunisia was up 15 early 3Q, Angola took the lead with 4 mins left in the game.  Tunisia rips an 8 point lead with 2:30 left, tied around the 1 min mark.

Mejri dominated for Tunisia.  Probably had a 20+ / 15 / 10 block line or close to it.   But he picked up two late (very minor) fouls and fouled out with under 1 min left, as Angola battled back.  Then Mejri's replacement knocks in a 3 with 6 secs left, with the shot clock almost out.  Put Tunisia up 4 -- game winner.  Guy's only shot all game.

Good physical, scrappy game.  Both likable teams with some solid talent.  Big guy for Angola looked like a 2nd round NBA type.  But I don't know his age.  Strong guy.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 08:43:08 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 08, 2019, 08:56:49 AM »

China-Nigeria.
Often the African teams are not well-organized.  Frequent spats over getting paid, etc.  I think Ivory Coast threatened a boycott until they got half their money upfront for this tourney.

But Nigeria seems pretty solid.  Aminu is a very good defender.  I saw a Nigerian wing do a nice crossover and burst to the rim, laying it in.  I'm thinking that looked like an NBA-level move.  Then realized its Josh Okogie.  Very nice young player from Minny, on my radar for the Knix.
Other ex-NBAers: Ekpe Udoh, Ike Diogu, Ben Uzoh(?)
They also have a PG who gets into it on D, and a Big who runs well.

China with 11 1st half turnovers.  Getting stripped a lot.
Nigeria 35-China 31 at the half.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 10:25:03 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 08, 2019, 08:58:24 AM »

Undefeated teams after 4 games:

Spain
Serbia
US
France
Australia
Argentina
POLAND (the big surprise so far)

Poland had an easy run so far.
Beating Ivory Coast, China, Venezuela in the weakest group.
Then beat Russia (and got super-celebratory).
But just got crushed by Argentina 91-65.

Gortat and Lampe both are not on the team.
They have an 18 year old 7'1" C Olek Balcerowski.
Born November 2000.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 10:27:46 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 08, 2019, 10:18:18 AM »

Nigeria beat CHina.  China now 2-3, losing to Venezuela, Poland and now Nigeria.  Barely beating Korea.  And topped weak Ivory Coast.

Nigeria looked good (v. China).
Okogie a nice clever player, but pretty young.
Aminu does more than he's capable of, so a bit sloppy.
Finished 6 / 8 / 6 with 4 TO's.

I was intrigued by Chimezie Metu, a bouncy 6'10" who runs well.
Turns out he was a Spurs 2nd round pick (#$9) in 2018.
Played at USC 3 years.  Interesting prospect.

I also liked Nigeria's 2 guards who played stout D and applied full court pressure at times.  Ike Iroegbu 6'2" plays in Lithuania.  Age 24 form Wash St.  And 23 year old Nnamdi Vincent.  In the GLeague, I think.
CHina traditionally has weak G play, and picking them up fullcourt and harassing their passing vision and not letting them get off 3's was good strategy.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 09, 2019, 10:41:01 AM »

US-Brazil.
Kind of an uninspired US performance until late.  Brazil hung close for 2/3rds of the game.  US was up 4 or 5 then made a run mid-3Q to get a comfortable lead.  Then opened the 4Q strongly to put the game away.

Miles Turner was mostly on his game.  Likes those Duncan bank shots from 14'.  But how much does he want to be great?  Joe Harris continues to be the only American who reliably hist 3's.  The 3-line is almost a foot shorter than NBA.  But US went just 8/25 on 3's.  It's not a weapon they use much.  And they don't get out on the break much.  And they don't get FT's.  In the half court, they're sets are okay, but mostly rely on a post-up or drive rather than ball movement.

Kemba is the indispensable player.  Jaylen stepped up 2nd half.  US made their 4Q run playing smallball with Jaylen defending Verajao.   Got them running and more steals.  I really like what Smart brings.  Just a bulldog.  Fun to watch.  And Derrick White brings some of the same.  Harrison "Pretty Good" Barnes does some of everything.  At least gets some FT's.
I'd say Middleton and Mitchell have been underwhelming.  Not bad, but these were supposed to be core guys.  Mitchell did lead the US with 7 assists and had a game high +22.  But his shooting and defense were suspect.  When teams need baskets they tend to go at Harris, post up Kemba, or attack Mitchell.  Kemba the best defender of the 3, and fights.
This is great training for Kemba -- BOS has to be happy.

BRAzil relies on Varejao and Barbosa a lot. 
Caboclo looked pretty iffy to me.  Goes for fakes, fouls, can get muscled.
With Varejao in the post, Cabolclo often floated on the perimeter and missed all 4 of his 3's.  Not his game.  But I'm not sure what is.  Didn't look good.

USA is susceptible to any team that can pop in 3's and bully in the post.
Brazil did such and kept it close for 2/3rds of the game.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 09, 2019, 11:44:16 AM »

US plays France next.
Start of elimination play, i'm pretty sure.

France beat Dominican Rep, Jordan, and squeaked by Germany and Lithuania.  Just lost by 2 to Australia.  So a solid team in the mix.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 10, 2019, 11:55:11 AM »

Saw 2nd half Spain-Poland.
Was played in Shanghai, and I vaguely thought of going after my hoops run ended.  I've played on the practice court beneath the main stadium.

Poland didn't have enough.  AJ Slaughter is their best scorer.  An undrafted 32 year old, who has kicked around Europe plenty, and became a Polish citizen in 2015, to bolster their national team.
I got to see the 18 year old 7'1" guy a little.
Missed both his FT's.  Missed a pair of 3's also (I didn't see those).  Had 2 assists.  Not a main guy. 

Poland was down 8-10 points most of the 2nd half, and couldn't make a 3 in the $Q to close the gap.  And you know it's trouble when Rubio is popping 3's (went 3-4 form distance, including two mid/late 4Q).
Willy Hernangomez did his David Lee impression.  Scored inside, boarded well, fouled and chumpy on D.  His jersey reads W Geuer.  Apparently his surname is Hernagomez Geuer.  Spaniards ...

Lull looked useless.  Rudy Fernandez still can shoot (5-5 on trips).  I didn't see Juancho but he scored a bunch.  Ma Gasol does what's needed. Fills the gaps.

A solid showing for Poland.  But their 4W-0L start was mostly the product of being in a weak group.  Beat China and Russia.  So that's something to take back home.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 81