Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 17, 2018, 05:01:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which team will win the Eastern Conference?
Boston Celtics
Detroit Pistons
Chicago Bulls
Miami Heat
Cleveland Cavs
Orlando Magic
Washington Wizards
Other

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 30
  Print  
Author Topic: NBA  (Read 7017 times)
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #330 on: April 13, 2018, 11:26:51 AM »

Even minus Curry I think this may be Durant's year

Havent decided yet on Cavs-Raptors.  Leaning Toronto
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #331 on: April 13, 2018, 06:17:37 PM »

1. Houston vs 16. Wash a ton
2. Toronto  vs 15. Milwaukee
3. GState   vs 14. Mya me
4. Boston  vs. 13. Minnesota eh
5. Phila      vs 12. Sam and Tony yo
6. The land vs 11. N'awlins
7. Po'land  vs. 10. Indiana
8. OKC      vs.  9. Utah

Quarterfinals:
Houston vs OKC/Utah
Toronto vs Portland
GState vs The Land
Sota vs Phila  (Towns v Embiid!)

Semifinals:
Houston vs Phila
GState vs Portland

Finals:
Houston vs GState
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 06:38:57 PM by Kam » Logged

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
bodiddley
Superhero Member

Bring it to Jerome

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #332 on: April 14, 2018, 05:00:17 AM »

Misaligned, I think you mean.
We're getting better series across the board than all of that ...
bodiddley
Superhero Member

Bring it to Jerome

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #333 on: April 14, 2018, 05:31:47 AM »

NBA TRivia:

Grant Hill is about to be inducted into the Hall of Fame.
How many Duke players are currently in the HoF?
bankshot1
Superhero Member

A non-card carrying citizen of RSN since 1957

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #334 on: April 14, 2018, 09:28:00 AM »

NBA TRivia:

Grant Hill is about to be inducted into the Hall of Fame.
How many Duke players are currently in the HoF?

As its about 9:30AM, and the Naismith BB HoF does not open for another 30 minutes, I'd say there are no Duke players currently in the HoF.

"Hank Steinbrenner?
What a bunch of
(expletive) that is!"

-Red Sox Nation
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #335 on: April 21, 2018, 11:29:52 PM »

Misaligned, I think you mean.
We're getting better series across the board than all of that ...

Maybe in the EAST. But in the West what is currently the best series OKC-UTAH would have also been the matchup under re-alignment.
All the other West Series are yarners.  4-0, 3-0, Minnesota made a last dying grasp at life today to make things somewhat interesting 2-1.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
bankshot1
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #336 on: April 29, 2018, 05:29:14 PM »

Toronto series - no bet

Boston series  - 6X on Celts

Philly series - 3X on Sixers

Cavs series -  1X on Pacers

-----------

Houston series - no bet

Golden State series -  1X on Spurs

Blazers series -  no bet

OKC series - 3X on OKC

Bankshot will tell us how much I win.

As bet I figure kid is +2.95 Xs to the good, with 2 wins 3 losses and 3 no calls in the 8 series.

Celts bailed him out.

I went 7-1, losing with OKC

"Hank Steinbrenner?
What a bunch of
(expletive) that is!"

-Red Sox Nation
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #337 on: April 30, 2018, 01:02:53 AM »

Will check the odds later for the next round.

Pacers almost got us the bigger loot.
bodiddley
Superhero Member

Bring it to Jerome

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #338 on: May 09, 2018, 06:58:05 AM »

Well, I think 4-1 is about the best that Pels and Jazz were going to do.  Both young teams learning the playoff ropes.  Did well to win RD 1, then KO'd in Rd 2.

So Rocks v. Warriors.
This is the playoff gem.
I'll go with GS's firepower, playoff experience, and continuity.
GS players just know what each other are going to do.  They've played hundreds of games together and can improvise well.
GS also has a formidable defense.

GS has a number of defenders they can throw at Harden -- Iggy, Klay, Dray.  I assume JaVale will be important to match Capela's length and  activity.  McGee didn't play at all in G5 v. NOP.  For some reason Kevon Lunatic played til he fouled out.  It will be interesting to see if Dray and JaVale can disrupt Harden's drives.  You can't take everything away from Harden (3's, drives, kickouts to 3pt shooters).  I think I'd sag just a little, take away Harden drives, and count on GS being able to win a 3-Pt shootout.  Though more likely they'll guard him like most other teams -- close at the 3-Pt line hoping he takes contested 3's, try not to foul on drives, try to rotate to kick-out shooters.  And use multiple defenders (which is a good strategy).
I'd stay home on the perimeter, which you can do if Harden isn't driving heavily) and let Harden try to outscore GS by himself.  Can't let Commissioner Gordon, Ariza or PJ beat you with 3's.

Then there's the issue of Harden on D.
They'll likely try to hide him on Iggy.
And Harden isn't as bad as he used to be.
But I'd screen Harden and put him in switches, force him to chase Scurry and especially Klay.  And Harden in foul trouble is death for HOU. 

As for CP3, make him go to the rack.  When outside he likes to pound and jack 3's, in the middle he likes to pound and shoot paint/FT line turnaround J's.  I know the spots he heavily favors.  Take those away, make him take it to the rack.  And since he likes to fade  around the FT line, guys like Livingston guarding 3-point shooters can block that from behind (once or twice) when he starts making his turnaround move.  Basically take CP3 out of his comfort zone and make him think.  And take away his 3's.

Ariza, PJ , Luc M&M allow HOU to pile defenders on Durant, though he can shoot over them.  But they can bully him within 14 feet.

As for Rockettes chances, this isn't such a deep GS team.  Pachulia is slow for guarding the Rocks and might prove useless.  he hasn't played much in the playoffs.  Quinn the Mighty Cook and Looney did well this season, but might not be up for such pressure.   Looney is a foul-a-thon and seems to think slowly at times, which HOU will kill.  And CP3 is too heady for Capt Cook.
So GS needs good contributions from bench mainstays Livingston I presume and West.  And Iggy needs to shoot open 3's.  Both teams switch a lot and GS can be prone to turnovers and sloppy passes, though that seems better so far this post-season.

And of course homecourt could be a big factor.
G7 would be in HOU.  HOU start at home and if they can hold serve, a 0-2 hole isn't easy for any team.  Both teams can go on big runs, which I think accentuates home court ad, as the momentum snowballs and seems harder to stop.  Best for GS if Home court isn't a big deal this series, and of course stealing 1 of 2 changes the dynamics heavily, and GS doesn't often lose 2 in a row.

I pick GS in 6.  But a G7 would be great.
Also, I think Harden and GS (and D'Antonio) still have to prove they can handle such a big stage.  A pressure which increases if GS wins one of the first 2 in HOU (which I expect).

Thoughts?
Predictions?
bodiddley
Superhero Member

Bring it to Jerome

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #339 on: May 09, 2018, 08:56:31 AM »

Reading an article on SVG's tenure in DET.
And they mention that DET selected Kennard one spot ahead of Donny Mitchell.  Oops. 

What's worse is that Mitchell can play some point or help with ballhandling, which is useful since Reg Jax misses so many games.  Kennard actually shot 3's quite well and looks allright, but Mitchell has proved to be a significant talent, Wade-like imo, and his combo guard skills makes him a better fit in DET than just a 3-pt shooting SG.
I wonder if SVG would still have a job if they drafted Mitchell.

SVG had trouble conjuring a decent/solid bench.  Again a necessity given RegJax's frailty.  Of course speedier development from StanJohn would have helped too.   Drummond also hasn't progressed rapidly.  So some of that has to be on the coaching staff as well.

DET has some pieces, some holes.  The East isn't deep.  Kind of starting over on the treadmill it seems.
yankguy
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #340 on: May 09, 2018, 09:03:29 AM »

Well, I think 4-1 is about the best that Pels and Jazz were going to do.  Both young teams learning the playoff ropes.  Did well to win RD 1, then KO'd in Rd 2.

So Rocks v. Warriors.
This is the playoff gem.
I'll go with GS's firepower, playoff experience, and continuity.
GS players just know what each other are going to do.  They've played hundreds of games together and can improvise well.
GS also has a formidable defense.

GS has a number of defenders they can throw at Harden -- Iggy, Klay, Dray.  I assume JaVale will be important to match Capela's length and  activity.  McGee didn't play at all in G5 v. NOP.  For some reason Kevon Lunatic played til he fouled out.  It will be interesting to see if Dray and JaVale can disrupt Harden's drives.  You can't take everything away from Harden (3's, drives, kickouts to 3pt shooters).  I think I'd sag just a little, take away Harden drives, and count on GS being able to win a 3-Pt shootout.  Though more likely they'll guard him like most other teams -- close at the 3-Pt line hoping he takes contested 3's, try not to foul on drives, try to rotate to kick-out shooters.  And use multiple defenders (which is a good strategy).
I'd stay home on the perimeter, which you can do if Harden isn't driving heavily) and let Harden try to outscore GS by himself.  Can't let Commissioner Gordon, Ariza or PJ beat you with 3's.

Then there's the issue of Harden on D.
They'll likely try to hide him on Iggy.
And Harden isn't as bad as he used to be.
But I'd screen Harden and put him in switches, force him to chase Scurry and especially Klay.  And Harden in foul trouble is death for HOU.  

As for CP3, make him go to the rack.  When outside he likes to pound and jack 3's, in the middle he likes to pound and shoot paint/FT line turnaround J's.  I know the spots he heavily favors.  Take those away, make him take it to the rack.  And since he likes to fade  around the FT line, guys like Livingston guarding 3-point shooters can block that from behind (once or twice) when he starts making his turnaround move.  Basically take CP3 out of his comfort zone and make him think.  And take away his 3's.

Ariza, PJ , Luc M&M allow HOU to pile defenders on Durant, though he can shoot over them.  But they can bully him within 14 feet.

As for Rockettes chances, this isn't such a deep GS team.  Pachulia is slow for guarding the Rocks and might prove useless.  he hasn't played much in the playoffs.  Quinn the Mighty Cook and Looney did well this season, but might not be up for such pressure.   Looney is a foul-a-thon and seems to think slowly at times, which HOU will kill.  And CP3 is too heady for Capt Cook.
So GS needs good contributions from bench mainstays Livingston I presume and West.  And Iggy needs to shoot open 3's.  Both teams switch a lot and GS can be prone to turnovers and sloppy passes, though that seems better so far this post-season.

And of course homecourt could be a big factor.
G7 would be in HOU.  HOU start at home and if they can hold serve, a 0-2 hole isn't easy for any team.  Both teams can go on big runs, which I think accentuates home court ad, as the momentum snowballs and seems harder to stop.  Best for GS if Home court isn't a big deal this series, and of course stealing 1 of 2 changes the dynamics heavily, and GS doesn't often lose 2 in a row.

I pick GS in 6.  But a G7 would be great.
Also, I think Harden and GS (and D'Antonio) still have to prove they can handle such a big stage.  A pressure which increases if GS wins one of the first 2 in HOU (which I expect).

Thoughts?
Predictions?

Will go with Golden State in 5. I think they're  ruthless and will take advantage of every cold-shooting streak Houston goes into. I also think that if you stay close to James Harden you'll beat James Harden.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 09:57:00 AM by yankguy » Logged

The judge said "son what is your alibi? If you were somewhere else then you won't to have to die."
bankshot1
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #341 on: May 09, 2018, 09:50:08 AM »

In my pre post-season picks I had Rockets beating the Warriors, but I may have to rethink that one.

And I'll have plenty of time to do so.

Damn shame we have to wait until next Monday for the series to kick-off.

"Hank Steinbrenner?
What a bunch of
(expletive) that is!"

-Red Sox Nation
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #342 on: May 09, 2018, 10:05:01 AM »

I had GS from the outset, so will stay with that.

The obvious X factor in all this is Chris Paul.

22-1 assist/to the last 2 games?  Wow.

I think I will take the Celtics next round if they push past Philly (My TOR pick is out).
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #343 on: May 09, 2018, 10:09:18 AM »

Funny piece on how Celtics had to "start from scratch" this year

Great college coaches like Rick Pitino and John Calipari made the leap to the NBA and failed, but Stevens was different. Expectations have been high, but both he and his Celtics have continually exceeded them. A 2014-15 Celtics team that was supposed to tank ended up winning 40 games. They won 48 the following season. And in 2016-17, they had an above-average defense despite an undersized backcourt featuring Isaiah Thomas and made a run to the Eastern Conference finals. Then, after Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge blew up the roster last summer and left only four returning players, Stevens basically had to start from scratch.

Dude, come on.....

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/5/7/17326080/brad-stevens-celtics-sixers
bodiddley
Superhero Member

Bring it to Jerome

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #344 on: May 09, 2018, 10:11:45 AM »

Of course Utah was down 2 PG's and was using a rookie SG at the Point, with huge offensive responsibilities, by the end of things.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 30
  Print  

Jump to: