Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 24, 2018, 04:16:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Who will win the ACC men's basketball title?
Boston College
Duke
Florida State
Maryland
Miami
Virginia
Clemson
North Carolina
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest
Georgia Tech
NC State

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22
  Print  
Author Topic: NCAA  (Read 6200 times)
CaptainCargo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2007, 01:44:31 PM »

Not a bad showing by the Tarheels last night. Davidson is a veteran team and I expected them to give the young Heels a game of it.

I really like UCLA and we'll see Monday just how good these guys really are. The Terps won't be a pushover and an early season loss by the Bruins is a stretch I know, but could be in the cards.

Yep
yankguy
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2007, 01:51:45 PM »

I love Love.  Maryland was pretty mediocre against Hampton (who actually is a pretty good team) and not too good against North Florida either.  It looks like their old weakness, consistent outside shooting, is still present.

They might be able to do some nice work against UCLA inside.  Just for the record, I probably should remind everybody of my belief that Lorenzo Matta is the worst college basketball player of all-time.

Roll away the dew......
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2007, 02:10:33 PM »

Bomp bomp bomp bomp bomp
CaptainCargo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2007, 02:25:55 PM »

I love Love.    It looks like their old weakness, consistent outside shooting, is still present.

Me too YG. "And", I agree about the outside shootong. They ought to as usual be strong on the boards.

Yep
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2007, 06:22:02 PM »

I may be way off base, but I don't see how Clemson is a 5 point dog at Miss. St. 

For those of you in the genteel hemisphere, the Tigers will be on Sportsouth or Fox Sports or whatever they are calling it, James Mays will be the one dunking, Rivers will be the one jacking threes, we are ready to throw down this year, I think.  Admittedly, I know nothing about Mississippi State, but I love Clemson and the points, were I a wagering fellow.  It's like Javier Bardem coming to your town, we bring the cowpuncher baby, lights out, that's right.

Put the Bardem on them mother.....
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2007, 11:13:42 PM »

Money
CaptainCargo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2007, 09:22:00 AM »

The ref that called the intentional foul in the UCONN/G-Webb game ought to have his whistle shoved up his nose. Total dumb ass call changed the whole complexion of the game.

"And", the Hoyas are going to be tough this year.

Yep
yankguy
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2007, 01:58:18 PM »

Maryland looked dreadful last night.  It looks like Vazquez has regressed and PG play was one of the last things I was actually worried about for this team.

Kevin Love is the absolute and complete real deal and anybody who's worried that he was a mere reincarnation of Stuart Gray need not.

Roll away the dew......
CaptainCargo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2007, 11:15:38 AM »

Good game to watch tonight between The Cuse and OSU. Both teams lost most of their starting lineups from last year. Should be an exciting game to watch.

Also Tommy Amaker did a pretty good job of recruiting at Harvard. Maybe he'll fare better in the Ivy league than he did at Michigan.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/704077.html

The final piece of the Harvard’s outstanding recruiting class was put in place (formally) this week. Keith Wright, a 6-foot-7, 245 pound center out of Norfolk (Va.) Collegiate, received word that he’s good to go as far as being admitted to Harvard.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 11:17:10 AM by CaptainCargo » Logged

Yep
luee

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2007, 02:38:22 PM »

Looks like a tremendous year for the Big East. Five teams in the top twenty.
CaptainCargo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2007, 03:24:18 PM »

The Cuse looked okay all things considered even in the loss, except that they disappeared late in the first half for a time. And then did it again in the second half.

A good lesson for the youngsters that playing defense is a full time thing.

Yep
CaptainCargo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2007, 03:27:53 PM »

And:

Okay George Mason, lets see you do that to Nova today.

Yep
luee

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2007, 12:20:03 AM »

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Seton Hall got the statement win it needed under Bobby Gonzalez.

Gonzalez barked at the Pirates to turn up the pressure and they did for all 40 minutes, knocking off No. 23 Virginia 74-60 on Saturday night to match their best start in seven seasons and win a share of the Philly Hoop Group Classic.

Brian Laing scored 25 points and Jeremy Hazell had 11, including a crashing 3-pointer that sent the neutral-site crowd into a frenzy, to help the Pirates win their first five games for the first time since the 2000-01 season.

Gonzalez's wife is due to give birth to the couple's first child any day now and contingency plans were made in case he had to bolt Philadelphia. Instead, he got to watch the Pirates deliver their biggest win of the season.

Seton Hall took control early and never let Virginia (5-1) make a serious run. The Cavaliers, who jumped into the Top 25 by handing Arizona its first November home loss since 1978-79, will likely spill out of the poll.

The Cavaliers crept within eight early in the second half and Gonzalez wanted to make sure his team wouldn't let the score get much closer. "Turn up the pressure right now! Turn it up!" he shouted from the bench at the historic Palestra.

Hazell obliged with a 3.

Hazell was fouled and knocked hard to the court on a long 3-pointer that left him sprawled on the painted "Hoop Group" logo near the Pirates bench. Instead of being extended a helping hand up, a frantic Gonzalez started slapping hands with Hazell -- was that a low five? -- while he was still on his back. Hazell missed the free throw.

No worries for the Pirates. They led by 10 and never let it dip below eight the rest of the way.

Sean Singletary, the Philadelphia native who earned a loud ovation during pregame introductions, was serenaded with an "airball!" chant when he misfired with 1:21 left in the game and the Cavaliers desperately trying to rally.

The Pirates, who missed the Big East tournament last season in Gonzalez's first year at Seton Hall, won the Independence bracket in the inaugural eight-team tournament. The tournament is broken up into two brackets, so there is no true champion.
luee

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2007, 04:14:04 PM »

Little Saint Mary's coming up for the Hall. Not much of a matchup when the schedule was made. But an easy upset winner over Oregon led by their freshman wunderkin from down under Patty Mills who poured in 37.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2007, 11:26:48 AM »

Not sure UCLA should be #1 right now, but it's a long season.

USC reentered the top 25 after a sound 25 point thrashing of then #18  Southern Illinois in the Anaheim tournament final.

USC's team is almost solely comprised of freshman and sophmores, so one would expect it to take a little while for them to gel.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22
  Print  

Jump to: