Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
December 15, 2017, 10:52:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pets  (Read 3462 times)
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

That's What I'm Talking About

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #300 on: June 17, 2008, 02:29:58 PM »

So did she know he had been abused and caged like that without being told?
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #301 on: June 17, 2008, 03:06:08 PM »

Yes, she did -- we told her he was an abuse case, but not that he was caged up.  Abuse can take a lot of forms, so I'd go 50/50 on whether she guessed correctly or was actually told what type of abuse. 

We end up telling a lot of people the dog was abused, because if a stranger or even a neighbor goes toward him, he bolts to the end of his leash and thrashes about like a marlin trying to get off the hook. Or sometimes people who don't know dogs wonder why his tail is between his legs, curled up against his belly.  (He used to poop and pee when he got scared, so the tail thing is a huge step forward - sad but true.)  So saying "He was abused once, but not by us" kind of goes with the territory.  When we first started taking the mutt out to the park and stuff, I think this one guy wanted to report us for animal cruelty.
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #302 on: June 17, 2008, 03:42:07 PM »

Well you're patience and good intentions with this poor dog are very admirable, and I wish you luck rehabilitating him. 

Reminds me of the last time I rescued a dog, which will probably be THE last time, because it went so badly.  My daughter was spending the night with a friend, and the neighbors had a Rottweiler puppy tied to a tree in their front yard, I'd guess he was 4 months old.  The girls were petting him and my daughter learned that he was always tied up like that, and the people told her she was more than welcome to take him.  She called me begging to take in this dog, and he seemed okay, although I was very leary about taking in an aggressive breed that had been tied up all his life.

What a disaster.  He grew into a HUGE animal that we absolutely could NOT control no matter what we did.  Eventually he attacked and or bit one adult and two children over a period of about a year.   I finally had no choice but to have him put down, aterrible decision to make when you're looking at a young dog that is so full of life. 
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #303 on: June 17, 2008, 06:22:16 PM »

Oh, desdemona -- that must have been horrible, I'm so sorry. 

I'm pretty sure my dog will be okay, maybe just not a trick-doing, ball-fetching party animal. And that will be fine.  Thanks for the good wishes.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #304 on: June 17, 2008, 08:44:29 PM »

Smokey Oakey, a horse co-owned by Dame Judi Dench and her chauffeur Bryan Agar, is due to run in the Royal Hunt cup at Ascot this week. He won the £125,000 William Hill Lincoln Handicap at Doncaster in March. (Sunday Telegraph)
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #305 on: June 17, 2008, 11:07:06 PM »

Smokey Oakey, a horse co-owned by Dame Judi Dench and her chauffeur Bryan Agar, is due to run in the Royal Hunt cup at Ascot this week. He won the £125,000 William Hill Lincoln Handicap at Doncaster in March. (Sunday Telegraph)

Wow, I didn't know chauffeuring paid that well.
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #306 on: June 18, 2008, 10:08:49 AM »

Really!   Shocked
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #307 on: June 18, 2008, 10:12:02 AM »

I'm taking casting suggestions for my recently completed script, "The Dog Whisperer."  For some reason, I'm seeing John C. Reilly in the title role.

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #308 on: June 18, 2008, 06:14:29 PM »

I'm taking casting suggestions for my recently completed script, "The Dog Whisperer."  For some reason, I'm seeing John C. Reilly in the title role.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/dog-whisperer
Funny, he doesn't look like John C. Reilly -- you might want to check if the name's been copyrghted or face a nasty lawsuit.  How 'bout The Canine Conversationalist?  Then he can say "Hey, I'm conversatin' with my friend here..."
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #309 on: June 19, 2008, 08:45:42 PM »

"Raiders of the Lost Bark" was my working title, so I've got that to fall back on.

A spinoff, involving Navy dogs, was to be called, "Sub Woofer."

OK, I'm stopping now.

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #310 on: September 28, 2017, 04:09:20 PM »

Now that this time capsule has been opened up by booting this old forum backup, I am wondering how the adopted pooch got along in Harrie's household for the next 9 years. 

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]
  Print  

Jump to: