Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 695 696 [697] 698 699 ... 2926

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 756014 times)

bankshot1

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #10440 on: June 23, 2021, 07:48:22 PM »

Being reported that a $1.2 T infrastructure deal has been agreed upon by WH and bi-partisan senate negotiators. (led by Manchin and Romney)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10441 on: June 23, 2021, 07:53:26 PM »

Sounds good for a first installment, especially if it breaks Mitch’s filibuster streak.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

facilitatorn

• View Profile

facilitatorn

• View Profile

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #10444 on: June 23, 2021, 08:02:59 PM »

Sounds good for a first installment, especially if it breaks Mitch’s filibuster streak.

As noted yesterday after stiffing America on covid relief, Repubs were under pressure to find a middle ground for an infrastructure plan that everyone wanted.

Dems have to decide if half a loaf is better than no loaf, and giving Rs some credit for the bill.

As they say the devil is in the details.

How and who pays for this will be interesting, and will probably entail a McConnell pitchfork in the ass

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10445 on: June 23, 2021, 08:04:59 PM »

Gaetz has become McCarthyesque in his zeal to root out imaginary evils.

Charlie, not Eugene, right?
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

facilitatorn

• View Profile

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10447 on: June 23, 2021, 08:06:08 PM »

I still think Sharpton missed a few necessary steps to restoring himself as a self-identified moral leader, but we can agree to disagree.

Ask Steven Pagones.

“[Sharpton] says he regrets having resorted to "name-calling" against Pagones and that the case taught him to refrain from personal attacks in his activism.”
Jeez, you can do better that, Larry. Actually, with regard to the Brawley affair you probably can’t.

I am quoting.

This same statement was posted earlier.
It’s an idiotic statement. One inconsistent with the why should I apologize if I believed it quote you also posted. As I said we can agree to disagree, but Sharpton continuing to atttempt to justify repulsive behavior is, well, repulsive.

It's not inconsistent at all.

In the one case, his actions and words were predicated on belief.

In the other, he engaged in a personal attack against somebody and expressed regret.

("Start with one," or words to that effect.)

Doesn't mean I agree with him that he owes no apologies re the Brawley affair, but that the two comments are not in conflict, far as I can tell.
What was his personal attack  predicated on?

I don't think it matters, Yank.

He's sorry about the personal attack because it was uncalled for.

He could pursue any other aspect of the case without needing to attack the individual.

See also: Elba.
Pursuing the case was attacking the individual.

/shrugs/

I do not believe that the one required the other.

Evidently, you do.

I can accept that.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #10448 on: June 23, 2021, 08:13:11 PM »

As noted yesterday after stiffing America on covid relief, Repubs were under pressure to find a middle ground for an infrastructure plan that everyone wanted.

Dems have to decide if half a loaf is better than no loaf, and giving Rs some credit for the bill.

How and who pays for this will be interesting, and will probably entail a McConnell pitchfork in the ass

Giving some republicans some credit for the bill,widening existing fissures in the party between the fully insane and merely dishonest, will probably be the best path.

The Dems can then do the other 3 trillion in infrastructure through reconciliation with 50 votes and the tie-breaker, wealth tax, corporate tax, full tax on all investors, and all.

Holly Martins

« Reply #10449 on: June 23, 2021, 08:14:27 PM »

http://www.salon.com/2021/06/23/a-trump-supporter-could-be-the-first-floridian-prosecuted-under-ron-desantis-new-anti-protest-law/

Wow,  I could hear the backfire in South Dakota.   

I used to read Carl Hiaasen novels and think his depictions of Florida exaggerated both the perfidy and goofiness of that peninsula.   Now I know better.   

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10450 on: June 23, 2021, 08:14:49 PM »

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/cowessess-graves-unmarked-residential-school-marieval-1.6077797

This is so enraging.

Not that our history is better - we have committed so many atrocities that we can't even keep track of them all.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #10451 on: June 23, 2021, 08:19:20 PM »

General Mark Miley discussing white rage, the importance of learning about race, and his problem with the use of "Woke."

https://www.usnews.com/news/national-news/articles/2021-06-23/top-general-forcefully-defends-dod-policies-amid-accusations-of-critical-race-theory

The American people gave Tail Gunner Joe McCarthy plenty of leeway... until he went after the US Army
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Holly Martins

« Reply #10452 on: June 23, 2021, 08:21:00 PM »

http://www.vice.com/en/article/3aqp83/john-mcafee-reportedly-dead-from-suspected-suicide-in-spanish-jail

Sad end to a weird story.

RIP.

Quite.   Oily posted that over in the Business/Tech forum.   McAfee clearly didn't get the mental health intervention he needed years ago.  He could have been a Richard Branson sort of adventurer and creative force,  but some sort of paranoia brought him down. 

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #10453 on: June 23, 2021, 08:22:16 PM »

Being reported that a $1.2 T infrastructure deal has been agreed upon by WH and bi-partisan senate negotiators. (led by Manchin and Romney)

Ok for an initial installment.

Woefully inadequate for the problem at hand.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #10454 on: June 23, 2021, 08:29:04 PM »

Fuck Moderate Democrats.

Fuck Joe Manchin... post—purchase by US Chamber of Commerce and ALEC.

“Unfortunately, the legislative process in Washington has gotten so dysfunctional that it doesn't make much sense at all.

“Instead of moving a bill to the floor and proposing amendments to make a bill better and having an intelligent and informed discussion about whether to vote for or against, we are paralyzed by the filibuster and an unwillingness to work together – just because of an election cycle.

“Well, I have said it before: I was elected to focus on the next generation, not the next election. And with our nation facing such a serious jobs crisis I had to ask myself whether I could, in good conscience, oppose a procedural motion that would give us a chance to hear all the serious arguments that need to be heard and the discussion that needs to be had. The answer is no.

https://www.manchin.senate.gov/newsroom/press-releases/manchin-discusses-vote-to-end-filibuster-to-improve-jobs-bill-and-put-americans-back-to-work

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 695 696 [697] 698 699 ... 2926