Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 2929

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 761786 times)

bankshot1

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #1290 on: February 09, 2021, 04:51:17 PM »

Trump might want up regretting not hiring this forum's constitutional scholar to do his bidding.

Good point.

Red could likely convince most if not all of the Repub senators to hold a partisan line, with his searing rebuttal of Team Raskin's prosecution with a judicial mix of "LOL" and "Huh"

Oi!

• View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: February 09, 2021, 04:56:16 PM »

Yes, a 50 yr old woman can marry a 12 yr old boy...and a 65 yr old man can marry a 12 yr old girl...legally, all they need is parental permission.

Not in all states.    In 25 states,  there is a legal age of marriage,  even with exceptions for parental consent,  usually 15-17.  IIRC, Nebraska and Oregon has the highest age,  at 17.  Barton could probably confirm that last. 
Im on the pavement

Thinking about the government

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: February 09, 2021, 05:05:38 PM »

People wear flag shirts, flag bandanas, flag socks, flag underwear... desecrating the flag is a non-issue.

Burning the flag in public is a totally different thing.
Anyone doing it should be arrested and sent to a re-education camp...nice one of course.
First re-education lecture should be the movie "Not Without My Daughter".

You're such a fascist.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #1293 on: February 09, 2021, 05:13:28 PM »

In first place so far here in the Beltwayverse.

https://twitter.com/PaulBegala/status/1359245216721612805?s=20
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: February 09, 2021, 05:18:56 PM »

The crowd in Times Square was horrified at the sight of the 65 yr old man and his 12 yr old bride (in wedding dress), posing for the photographer.
Some called the man a f******sick pervert, and snatched the girl away.
Others said "no, no, we don't do this" and gently pulled the girl away and threatened to call the cops...even after the man explained he had the permission of the girl's parents and it was legal.

When it was the 50yr old blonde woman in the wedding dress and the 12yr yr old groom in a tux, there was not as much outrage.
One man had a photo taken with the couple. Another man shook their hands.
Another man said to the boy: "You're the MAN!"
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: February 09, 2021, 05:19:15 PM »

So if you voted "no" on constitutionality, are you intellectually compelled to vote "not guility", or do accept the verdict of your colleagues, and with an open heart and mind, listen impartially to the evidence as presented, and then and only then render a verdict?

I'll hang up and chuckle

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: February 09, 2021, 05:20:30 PM »

Jamie Raskin relating the unconscionable  use of the American flag as a spear1 on Jan 6

(But never utters a public word when the flag is dragged along the ground or burned2)

Familiarize yourself with the term "false equivalency".

The first1 is an act of violence, and the latter2 is an act of protest. 

I hope this helps.
Why bother?

I am ever hopeful.

At least for kid.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: February 09, 2021, 05:24:20 PM »

Jamie Raskin relating the unconscionable  use of the American flag as a spear1 on Jan 6

(But never utters a public word when the flag is dragged along the ground or burned2)

Familiarize yourself with the term "false equivalency".

The first1 is an act of violence, and the latter2 is an act of protest. 

I hope this helps.

Thanks

Raskin's comments were clearly denoting the "how could you?" level of the use of THE FLAG in such manner - the insult of it - which is EQUAL in each instance - even greater, I'd argue in the latter

Well go ahead and make an argument, then.

Explain how violence equals legitimate protest.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: February 09, 2021, 05:26:44 PM »

The US is the most diverse society in the history of mankind thanks to our wasp founding fathers

You keep saying that.

It continues to not be true.

We are not the most diverse racially, ethnically, or religiously.

But I should learn to stop confusing you with facts.

Could you confuse me with facts please. Name one country with more diversity.  More races, more religions, and more nations of origin. Duh!

Done.

Read the links.

Don't like what they say? Argue with them and find me counter-evidence besides your sayso or somebody else's unsubstantiated say so.

You might start with the #1 reply I made, which includes an article with a critique of the first piece that agrees with me, after the initial link and map.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: February 09, 2021, 05:26:59 PM »

People wear flag shirts, flag bandanas, flag socks, flag underwear... desecrating the flag is a non-issue.

Anyone doing it should be arrested and sent to a re-education camp...nice one of course.

You're such a fascist.

Burning the flag in public should be a crime...subject to arrest and punishment.
The offenders should have to be educated.
Maybe a walk of shame...and one week of education lectures as to what exactly they were burning...then 12 months of every weekend cleaning city hall with a toothbrush.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 05:30:25 PM by bambu. »
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: February 09, 2021, 05:31:21 PM »

I'll give the Trump defense team, Castor and Schoen, a lot of credit for emotionally slinging a ton of bullshit at the wall.

Just forget about the attack on the Capitol.

I thought Castor was full of it but Schoen is litigating by bluster.

Schoen stipulating that the events of Jan 6th did occur and that they can be accurately categorized as a riot puts trump on the hook for class 3 felony incitement of a riot, putting the matter squarely into the high crime category as defined by Castor.

It’s no wonder trump will be stiffing these guys for whatever compensation they were expecting.

Trump's stiffing of people is not contingent upon their performance and never has been.

He was going to stiff them, regardless.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: February 09, 2021, 05:32:03 PM »

You're such a fascist.

Burning the flag in public would be a crime...subject to arrest and punishment.
Maybe a walk of shame...and one week of education lectures as to what exactly they were burning...then 12 months of every weekend cleaning city hall with a toothbrush.

It's not a crime. It's free speech.

Texas v. Johnson.

https://www.uscourts.gov/educational-resources/educational-activities/facts-and-case-summary-texas-v-johnson#:~:text=The%20majority%20of%20the%20Court,protected%20by%20the%20First%20Amendment.

Run along now.

barton

« Reply #1302 on: February 09, 2021, 05:45:22 PM »

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: February 09, 2021, 05:51:15 PM »

You're such a fascist.

Burning the flag in public should be a crime...subject to arrest and punishment.

Then petition your government for the requisite reforms, you insufferable twat.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: February 09, 2021, 05:59:17 PM »

56-44 said this Senate is the right place and this is the right time to hear this case. We proceed.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 2929