Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 1037 1038 [1039] 1040 1041 ... 2926

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 755421 times)

bambu.

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #15570 on: September 04, 2021, 09:04:28 PM »

God made woman so that man would not have to be alone, God created a helper and companion for the man.

This is the part that gets you all messed up

This is just the worst way to look at it and it is not in any way true.

Kinda like the "love, honour, and obey" wedding vows...when the man was head of the house.
Now the woman is head of the house and the man is the "love, honour, and obey" helper.
The circle has fully turned.
Not true you say, then you need to observe more carefully.

When the pastor spoke our vows he got an unexpected response.

He got to the part about obey to Fran and the church roared with laughter.

LOL
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15571 on: September 05, 2021, 12:11:11 AM »

Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #15572 on: September 05, 2021, 08:52:11 AM »

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #15573 on: September 05, 2021, 08:54:56 AM »

Generations of racists keep lynching this child again and again...

https://twitter.com/emmetillcenter/status/1433562342290178048?s=21
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15574 on: September 05, 2021, 09:06:06 AM »

The so-called conservatives have plenty of folks who also will spend extra to avoid preserving the planet, as was pointed out a couple years ago.

There are no real principles for these folks except more money and control over women and minorities.

Still. Again.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Holly Martins

« Reply #15575 on: September 05, 2021, 10:06:12 AM »

https://twitter.com/eramshaw/status/1434274290384478210?s=20

The Nebraska state capitol will come courting, no doubt.   

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15576 on: September 05, 2021, 10:15:58 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2021/08/us/colorado-river-water-shortage/

Not time to deal with the climate problems yet?

Do let us know when it's time, would you, GOP?!
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15577 on: September 05, 2021, 10:20:37 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/03/politics/trump-adviser-stephen-miller-afghan-allies-us-entry/index.html

Our resident hypocrites never complained about this prior to Jan 20, 2021.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15578 on: September 05, 2021, 10:23:47 AM »

Joe does have a problem that both Donald and Hill had - memories of events that never took place.

In this case, his claim that he visited the Tree of Life synagogue doesn't pass muster, for all that he did talk to the Rabbi.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/03/politics/fact-check-biden-tree-of-life-synagogue-visit/index.html

One does wonder about such things.

And he does do it less than Trump did, but it is a pretty low bar to cross.

Holly Martins

« Reply #15579 on: September 05, 2021, 11:19:09 AM »

That "fix it when you edit" procedure does seem to solve the glitch

Also comma weirdly comma not using punctuation period

Holly Martins

« Reply #15580 on: September 05, 2021, 11:19:47 AM »

Read this all.  Thanks!   A thorough coverage of a situation I've followed many years.  As the piece mentions,  there will be trends towards fallowing of fields,  leasing land to solar installations, and municipalities recycling their wastewater.  Long-term,  I think we will return to the understanding that deserts are not really meant for cropping -- governments may move to paying farmers to develop non-water land uses like solar power or low-impact grazing (like goats,  which can eat native flora).  Homeowners might move to cisterns,  to supplement tap water. 

I live in semiarid country where these water issues play out,  albeit not yet so dramatically.   A neighbor and I are trying to spread the idea of non-watered home landscaping, in our hood,  with hardy native grasses and groundcovers,  keeping lawn areas taller to retain moisture, mulching, etc.   There's also washing the car with a bucket and sponge,  rather than having a hose flowing for fifteen minutes,  that kind of thing.   I also have a rain barrel to catch runoff from the roof,  which not only saves using city water on plants,, but also means we're not pouring chlorinated water on them.   

Americans are trained to embrace convenience,  and reduced labor at home,  so one thing that helps sell xeriscaping is that it leads to landscaping that's lower maintenance.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15581 on: September 05, 2021, 12:23:17 PM »

Read this all.  Thanks!   A thorough coverage of a situation I've followed many years.  As the piece mentions,  there will be trends towards fallowing of fields,  leasing land to solar installations, and municipalities recycling their wastewater.  Long-term,  I think we will return to the understanding that deserts are not really meant for cropping -- governments may move to paying farmers to develop non-water land uses like solar power or low-impact grazing (like goats,  which can eat native flora).  Homeowners might move to cisterns,  to supplement tap water. 

I live in semiarid country where these water issues play out,  albeit not yet so dramatically.   A neighbor and I are trying to spread the idea of non-watered home landscaping, in our hood,  with hardy native grasses and groundcovers,  keeping lawn areas taller to retain moisture, mulching, etc.   There's also washing the car with a bucket and sponge,  rather than having a hose flowing for fifteen minutes,  that kind of thing.   I also have a rain barrel to catch runoff from the roof,  which not only saves using city water on plants,, but also means we're not pouring chlorinated water on them.   

Americans are trained to embrace convenience,  and reduced labor at home,  so one thing that helps sell xeriscaping is that it leads to landscaping that's lower maintenance.

We practice much of that and our area, when it has officially been in drought for months, is still largely green and lush, if not nearly where it is right now, with sufficient water that there is a puddle in my basement.

Lawns are a modern abomination which I suspect were pushed on us by the companies wishing to sell us their mowers, though I have not done the research on the history of lawns (yet).

The places that require lawns are bizarre.

The places that regulate cisterns and water barrels... that's a different issue.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15582 on: September 05, 2021, 01:03:57 PM »

My garden is in half whiskey barrels and terracotta pots

You are more likely to see astroturf than a real lawn at a residence though lawns are still maintained at parks and the like

Rockeries with a few succulents cacti and native flowers is the most common arrangement

And we have already started to separate the salt from sea water to increase our supply
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #15583 on: September 05, 2021, 01:38:08 PM »

In Anaheim we clean our wastewater and we use it to water the landscaping and the parks, and we also clean the waste water and we inject the cleaned water into the ground to replenish the ground-water.

https://www.anaheim.net/784/Water-Sources

https://www.tpomag.com/editorial/2018/02/anaheim_california_develops_a_unique_way_to_showcase_water_treatment_and_it

There is an episode of the show "California's Gold" with Huell Howser where he visits the water treatment plant in Anaheim and he had my friend Shirley on his show. Shirley was on the City Council, and plus she ran for Mayor, she is retired now, but she is a great person. It is so sad to see her living in an old folks home, but she is making the most of it and she has friends there. Anyhow, Shirley did a lot for Anaheim, and she is on "California's Gold" talking about our water system.

We need to do more in the West to create more water storage, etc, and new lakes mean more places to fish and boat, etc.

Californians vote in every election to spend more money to create more water storage, etc. The State needs to get busy creating new lakes, etc. We need more dams, and more lakes, etc.

Plus, the federal government is giving the states more money to improve our water systems and to make sure that every American has fresh clean water.

And the Senators from Nevada are working together as a team with California.

Salute,

Tony V.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15584 on: September 05, 2021, 02:13:10 PM »

I will say this for the broken posting process.

It has cut down extremely on the spam posts!
Pages: 1 ... 1037 1038 [1039] 1040 1041 ... 2926