Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 1079 1080 [1081] 1082 1083 ... 2924

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 751361 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #16200 on: September 14, 2021, 11:14:52 AM »

It strikes (cynical) me that rules like that just create a small new hurdle for those so inclined to get around.  Which they will do.  I think we'd all be better off having better, not so inclined people in public service.

How do you propose to get that?

Power corrupts.

(Bwa ha ha ha ha!)
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #16201 on: September 14, 2021, 11:16:52 AM »

I have no idea.  The only idea I have is that kind of rule never works.
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16202 on: September 14, 2021, 11:18:21 AM »

COVID question today, as I watch CNN discussion re:  kids and vaccines

Why aren't they telling us how many kids are getting seriously ill?  How many hospitalized overnight?  ICU?

As they do with the adult population.

Why don't you look it up?

Here, let me get you started:
https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/news/local/coronavirus/2021/09/14/children-and-covid-19-delta-variant-treatment-symptoms-memphis-hospitalizations/5719157001/
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
A parrot bit me.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16204 on: September 14, 2021, 11:23:12 AM »

Oh those polls...

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/08/11/majorities-support-vaccine-mask-mandates-republicans-503506

According to the poll, more than 8 in 10 Democrats and at least half of independent voters want to require vaccinations for all Americans (except those with medical conditions), for employees who work in their area and for those who go to gyms or entertainment venues. But those requirements are supported by roughly 35 percent of Republicans, who form the largest group of unvaccinated Americans.

When it comes to mask mandates, Republican support inches up a few percentage points, but a majority is still opposed while nearly all Democrats and a majority independents are in favor.

Tell us more about how the GOP is not the biggest factor in the ongoing spread of COVID-19.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #16205 on: September 14, 2021, 11:33:41 AM »

The virus itself - plus the unvaccinated - are equally responsible.  Has nothing at all to do with party.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #16206 on: September 14, 2021, 11:34:44 AM »

COVID question today, as I watch CNN discussion re:  kids and vaccines

Why aren't they telling us how many kids are getting seriously ill?  How many hospitalized overnight?  ICU?

As they do with the adult population.

Why don't you look it up?

Here, let me get you started:
https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/news/local/coronavirus/2021/09/14/children-and-covid-19-delta-variant-treatment-symptoms-memphis-hospitalizations/5719157001/

Did you just give me one city?

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #16207 on: September 14, 2021, 11:40:55 AM »

I am SHOCKED, I tell you - that so many Republicans oppose an unconstitutional vaccine mandate.  Shocked.

Holly Martins

« Reply #16208 on: September 14, 2021, 11:52:09 AM »

I am SHOCKED, I tell you - that so many Republicans oppose an unconstitutional vaccine mandate.  Shocked.

Good thing, then,  that vaccine mandates are not unconstitutional.  And pretty much like literally hundreds of other public health measures throughout our nation's history.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #16209 on: September 14, 2021, 11:56:19 AM »

Good thing, then,  that vaccine mandates are not unconstitutional.  And pretty much like literally hundreds of other public health measures throughout our nation's history.
The vaccine mandate proposed by Biden is unconstitutional.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #16210 on: September 14, 2021, 11:56:45 AM »

You know that each year some parents of school aged children opt out of vaccinations, right, Barton?

Holly Martins

« Reply #16211 on: September 14, 2021, 11:58:50 AM »

It strikes (cynical) me that rules like that just create a small new hurdle for those so inclined to get around.  Which they will do.  I think we'd all be better off having better, not so inclined people in public service.

I guess it's worth asking how a no-trade law would hurt anything.   If it stops one elected official from being tempted to tweak legislation for unethical personal gain,  then that's one less slippery slide down the path of corruption.  And it's one more way to uncouple political service from personal wealth-building.   Put enough hurdles in the path of corruption and you might have political office become less appealing to scoundrels.

Holly Martins

« Reply #16212 on: September 14, 2021, 12:02:46 PM »

You know that each year some parents of school aged children opt out of vaccinations, right, Barton?

And that's also a problem.   Vaccines boost immunity and prevent millions of cases of horrid diseases that used to shave decades off human longevity.   

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16213 on: September 14, 2021, 12:04:59 PM »

The virus itself - plus the unvaccinated - are equally responsible.  Has nothing at all to do with party.

Yeah, so what if one party actively discouraged/discourages responsible measures.

Holly Martins

« Reply #16214 on: September 14, 2021, 12:08:59 PM »

Right-Wing Anti-Vax Radio Host Who Mocked AIDS Victims Dies Of COVID 

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/bob-enyart-coronavirus-death-right-wing-radio-host_n_613fffcbe4b0dda4cbd2b3a4

In embracing an ideology,  it's sometimes useful to think about the company you keep.

Well....

at least he had a reason

Both refused the coronavirus shot to protest the use of aborted fetal cells, collected many years ago, in vaccine research and urged others to ...

Bullshit.  That guy was promoting a Trump political brand.   The guy never protested the hundreds of other common pharmaceuticals which have been made using lab animals,  fetal stem cells,  and other tissues derived in ways that some religious sect somewhere would protest.   
Pages: 1 ... 1079 1080 [1081] 1082 1083 ... 2924