Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 1160 1161 [1162] 1163 1164 ... 2926

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 754302 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #17415 on: October 02, 2021, 11:43:49 AM »

Republicans have killed 700000 here spreading Covid to unravel society.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #17416 on: October 02, 2021, 11:48:36 AM »

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #17417 on: October 02, 2021, 12:20:56 PM »

Republicans have killed 700000 here spreading Covid to unravel society.

More.

Holly Martins

« Reply #17418 on: October 02, 2021, 12:45:33 PM »

Seriously does anyone here think students should get leniency on final exam grades for being appalled by a news event?   I ask because Oil raises a point which makes me wonder if academia can start inspecting and rating degrees of angst.  I think exams have to objectively test whatever they are testing,  or college educations wont be worth the paper diplomas are printed on.   If a traumatic news story breaks before a final exam,  either postpone it (if you think that helps students compose their minds) or don't. 
But you can't patronize any group of students with "you're more emotionally vulnerable today so I will grade easy" - think about where it goes from there.   

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #17419 on: October 02, 2021, 12:49:27 PM »

Seriously does anyone here think students should get leniency on final exam grades for being appalled by a news event?   I ask because Oil raises a point which makes me wonder if academia can start inspecting and rating degrees of angst.  I think exams have to objectively test whatever they are testing,  or college educations wont be worth the paper diplomas are printed on.   If a traumatic news story breaks before a final exam,  either postpone it (if you think that helps students compose their minds) or don't. 
But you can't patronize any group of students with "you're more emotionally vulnerable today so I will grade easy" - think about where it goes from there.

Amazingly the student who made the request was not a black student.

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #17420 on: October 02, 2021, 02:26:20 PM »

The intolerant left. Oh, wait...

https://amp.statesman.com/amp/5914256001

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17421 on: October 02, 2021, 02:34:44 PM »

I do not think he [Ryan Williams]  is aware that he was dissected.

I give him credit for being somewhat honest about his idea of what Founders Ideology is and should remain.   With all the waffling and obfuscation out there,  his institute seems to be fairly open that they believe our Constitution is based on Christian doctrine and that its better if we remain a Christian majority nation.   In the sense that his views are strongly state-centered federalist, and very much about shrinking federal social programs,  he can call himself Jeffersonian and be accurate.   When he says that bit about not finding evidence of current systemic racism,  however, I feel he veers into intellectual dishonesty or at least a really bad case of not trying very hard.  Same thing,  perhaps.

A lot of intellectuals do that - dont study too hard on an idea you know,  on principle, is naughty.

If he'd been right about the Founding Fathers' convictions, there would have been no Louisiana Purchase.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #17423 on: October 02, 2021, 03:13:46 PM »

Should probably be in the education forum

Oilcanary

• View Profile
« Reply #17424 on: October 02, 2021, 03:22:56 PM »

What's that matter,  if it's relating to current politics?   You post stuff like that all the time.   Everyone here knows this the active forum where everyone looks in.  And it was a reply to Hamilton's article and comment on the case,  so sequestration is a lost cause by now.   Larry,  Bart,  me,  Ham,  have all weighed in.

OK,  so what's your thinking on the case?   I gather you read the earlier link?   
Im on the pavement

Thinking about the government

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17425 on: October 02, 2021, 03:34:35 PM »

Poor guy did not realize that his lucrative side gigs came from trading on his public reputation. The school did not sink his reputation. His snarky little email did.

He seems to have developed snowflake syndrome to at least the third degree. At least he had the basic arithmetic and optimistic outlook to aim his weak slew of grievance at a defendant with real money.

It would not surprise me if after the suit the only work available to him is as some grifters sub blogger.

You don't read well. He was unjustly attacked.
He's rightly sueing.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #17426 on: October 02, 2021, 03:35:46 PM »

I agree the students  suggestion was patronizing and offensive to black students.   And grading people differently based on anything is unethical.   Again,  90 percent of woke people know what the concept really means,  and this student was one of the minority who carry it to absurdity.  I also disagree that ONLY black students would be upset by the death of Floyd.   Was the professor supposed to grade more leniently ANYONE who said they were upset - if I had been his student,  should I have asked for special grading,  since I was quite horrified and upset by the Floyd murder.

20K signatures on the petition. Not one guy.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #17427 on: October 02, 2021, 03:36:17 PM »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #17428 on: October 02, 2021, 04:11:06 PM »

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2021/10/1/2055519/-Alito-complains-of-unprecedented-efforts-to-damage-Supreme-Court-s-plummeting-reputation

Alito complains that he is being called out.

Remember when he said NOT TRUE when Obama correctly predicted the damages looming from Citizens United?

At the fucking State of the Union, no less.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 1160 1161 [1162] 1163 1164 ... 2926