Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 2929

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 760803 times)

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #1830 on: February 15, 2021, 03:06:41 PM »

Yank ask our constitutional expert why he thinks impeaching Kamala re the Minny Bail Fund is in his words :interesting". As he has researched the issue , what is his legal theory that makes it interesting and why is it grounds for impeachment?

thanks I'll hang-up and listen.
I would never presume to guess to what our Learned Hand is thinking.  Red knows.  He knows.
Learned Hand.
Timely reference.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: February 15, 2021, 03:09:17 PM »

Question for the all.

I was hoping before the vote on Saturday, the senators would use 2-3 minutes to explain or argue their position, or maybe even attempt to change a vote or two. Now even if allowing just 2 minutes per Senator thats 200 minutes or a little more than 3 hours to address colleagues and the nation on this important issue. But i think it would have been time well spent. and for lots of reasons. But a long week-end awaited and these guys wanted to leave the crime scene ASAP and there were supporters to shake down for contributions or make amends with.

but in any case, I was curious if Machiavellian Mitch had delivered his closing statement-summary before his vote rather than after, would he have swayed any other R-voters?

« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 03:14:51 PM by bankshot1 »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #1832 on: February 15, 2021, 04:01:33 PM »

Mitch said he would vote to acquit before the trial.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: February 15, 2021, 04:30:31 PM »

and Mitch said Trump was guilty after the Senate trial.

But gave him a pass on a previously settled issue of Senate jurisdiaction. (ie Mitch wanted to play by his rules and screw the rules the Senate adopted-ie Mitch was ok with anarchy as long as its to his benefit)

The point was in the world's greatest deliberative body" tm, I would have liked to hear all the senators oratorial and persuasive skills on display making or rebutting the House's case.

Machiavellian Mitch's reasoning was both compelling and bullshit.

YMMV

3 hours doesn't seem a lot to ask, to see who has a fastball and who doesn't

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: February 15, 2021, 04:57:04 PM »

Analysis has been that McConnell could have brought some votes with him - how many we do not know - had he done a Cassidy.

But standing by a "how can I vote to convict in a case I said shouldn't be brought?" is pretty firm wisdom.

- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: February 15, 2021, 05:10:52 PM »

Throwing dirt on the charred remains of Moscow Mitch and bitch ass Lindsey would make the Senate into a far more functional deliberative body.

Blackmail was preventing more republicans than the sane seven from voting to preserve American democracy from the noxious perverts who hold the support of their base.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: February 15, 2021, 05:12:12 PM »

Analysis has been that McConnell could have brought some votes with him - how many we do not know - had he done a Cassidy.

But standing by a "how can I vote to convict in a case I said shouldn't be brought?" is pretty firm wisdom.

But purposely delaying the trial to create a flimsy question of jurisdiction, (and one that was settled by Senate vote) and then saying if not for the jurisdictional issue I fabricated, and who's resolution I ignored, the man is guilty, is surely not a model we should aspire to copy in the future. Its not wisdom but rather a rocky ill-lit path to anarchy.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: February 15, 2021, 06:20:45 PM »

Bank missed the part where just by going through with impeaching, not even convicting Trump the Democrats now need to face a Harris impeachment, if not others down the line.

Cooler heads will likely prevail - but rest assured there will be discussion - and a need/ask for public explanation by the VP, minimally.
Just what, precisely, do you think Harris would be impeached for?

Being a Democratic VP (or President) after the Dems (and GOP members) impeached Trump twice.

Retribution, nothing else.

He admitted as much earlier.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: February 15, 2021, 06:26:56 PM »

The vaunted keeping of vows.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: February 15, 2021, 06:29:16 PM »

No, it's sophistry of the same sort he engaged in over Garland, asshole.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: February 15, 2021, 06:29:46 PM »

Bank missed the part where just by going through with impeaching, not even convicting Trump the Democrats now need to face a Harris impeachment, if not others down the line.

Cooler heads will likely prevail - but rest assured there will be discussion - and a need/ask for public explanation by the VP, minimally.

Being a Democratic VP (or President) after the Dems (and GOP members) impeached Trump twice.

Cooler heads will (would) likely prevail.

(posted for the second time)

Unlike what just occurred.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: February 15, 2021, 06:30:38 PM »

Cooler heads will likely prevail.

(posted for the second time)

Unlike what just occurred.

It is true that cooler heads did not prevail - they lost despite 57 votes to convict.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: February 15, 2021, 06:33:11 PM »

But purposely delaying the trial to create a flimsy question of jurisdiction, (and one that was settled by Senate vote) and then saying if not for the jurisdictional issue I fabricated, and who's resolution I ignored, the man is guilty, is surely not a model we should aspire to copy in the future. Its not wisdom but rather a rocky ill-lit path to anarchy.

With his rearguard action, Mitch is complicit in the insurrection he has disavowed.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: February 15, 2021, 06:34:14 PM »

and Mitch said Trump was guilty after the Senate trial.

This is a misleading statement within this conversation

Guilty of bad judgement.  Bad behavior.  (Mitch's thoughts, that is)

What he was impeached for - probably not so much.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #1844 on: February 15, 2021, 06:35:52 PM »

With his rearguard action, Mitch is complicit in the insurrection he has disavowed.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 2929