Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 2714

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 498409 times)

barton

Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #2370 on: February 23, 2021, 09:56:58 AM »

But, it's happened before. See "Bull Moose Party". The cult of personality that surrounded TR, and his enormous ego being unable to be reigned in, gave America Woodrow Wilson as POTUS, which ultimately meant his wife became the first woman president (read about it, kid, before you comment further).

Watch what happens at CPAC. Trump going, Pence staying home is just another example of the widening fissure within the party .

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: February 23, 2021, 10:36:36 AM »

Do you think that District Court Judge J. Michelle Childs of South Carolina would be a qualified addition to the Court?

This can help you decide: https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/JMichelleChilds-PublicQuestionnaire.pdf

Thanks for the link.

After serving the State Gov as Deputy Director of labor relations, they put her on the S.C. Circuit court in ‘06. She got to the federal bench in ‘09 where she continues to serve with distinction.

She gets extra points for her work on the Woods case.

I will happily abide by her decisions once she is installed on the Supreme Court.

Stephen Breyer needs to go play golf, first. And do you think anyone else is as qualified, if not more so, as Childs?
What difference does that make? There has never been a SCOTUS justice who was not selected rejected except for demographic or political reasons.
FIFY
Finally! Justice for Abs Fortas!
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: February 23, 2021, 10:40:53 AM »

Millennium Management’s Israel Englander earned $3.8 billion last year, landing him the biggest payday of any hedge fund manager in 2020, showed data from Institutional Investor.

Englander more than doubled his $1.5 billion payday in 2019 and made $2 billion more than the previous year’s rich list leaders Chris Hohn and Jim Simons, while making gains of 26% for his investors.

The top 10 hedge fund managers globally earned $20.1 billion in 2020, a 50.2% rise from $13.4 billion in 2019, against the backdrop of volatile markets amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Jesus, I had no idea people were getting paid $1B in a single year.  (It almost sounds like a fraud perpetrated on his investors).
Aren't these the same folks whose income is treated differently (as carried interest or somesuch) so that they pay a rate that was roughly half the top federal tax rate?

I've come to the simple notion that billionaires exist because both they and their companies were not properly taxed.   Such an over-accumulation of wealth is almost by definition largely unproductive and distorts both the economy and politics.  I haven't checked the details, but the wealth tax Liz Warren was advocating sounds like a move in the right direction.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: February 23, 2021, 11:24:55 AM »

Watch what happens at CPAC. Trump going, Pence staying home is just another example of the widening fissure within the party .

Surely. 

There will be a party battle.

There wil be one nominee to face Biden (or NAME YOUR CANDIDATE).
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: February 23, 2021, 11:52:23 AM »

The Illinois Nazi Party has already chosen trump as their nominee. After the Four Seasons Landscaping Putsch, they’ve had much better luck enforcing party discipline.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2375 on: February 23, 2021, 11:57:48 AM »

http://www.politico.com/news/2021/02/23/perdue-georgia-senate-2022-471131

He passes. No need to get so embarrassed twice in two years.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

barton

« Reply #2376 on: February 23, 2021, 12:50:50 PM »

What difference does that make? There has never been a SCOTUS justice who was not selected rejected except for demographic or political reasons.

FIFY
Finally! Justice for Abs Fortas!

Apparently 400 sit-ups a day can't fend off an ethics violation.

barton

« Reply #2377 on: February 23, 2021, 01:00:58 PM »

Millennium Management’s Israel Englander earned $3.8 billion last year, landing him the biggest payday of any hedge fund manager in 2020, showed data from Institutional Investor.

Englander more than doubled his $1.5 billion payday in 2019 and made $2 billion more than the previous year’s rich list leaders Chris Hohn and Jim Simons, while making gains of 26% for his investors.

The top 10 hedge fund managers globally earned $20.1 billion in 2020, a 50.2% rise from $13.4 billion in 2019, against the backdrop of volatile markets amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Jesus, I had no idea people were getting paid $1B in a single year.  (It almost sounds like a fraud perpetrated on his investors).
Aren't these the same folks whose income is treated differently (as carried interest or somesuch) so that they pay a rate that was roughly half the top federal tax rate?

I've come to the simple notion that billionaires exist because both they and their companies were not properly taxed.   Such an over-accumulation of wealth is almost by definition largely unproductive and distorts both the economy and politics.  I haven't checked the details, but the wealth tax Liz Warren was advocating sounds like a move in the right direction.

Capitalism, by its very nature, concentrates wealth in the hands of a few and protects property over people.  The entire point of regulation is to prevent this economic distortion and top-heavy condition, and confer on labor its true social value (since capitalism seeks to make labor as cheap and expendable as possible).  Deregulation is, pure and simple, the oligarch's dream.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: February 23, 2021, 01:08:59 PM »

Caution:  open mind required to read this opinion column....

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/22/opinion/texas-electricity-storm.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

Nobel prizewinning economist explains why deregulation is a bad idea.  Electricity ain't avocados.

Punch, brothers, punch with care!
Punch in the presence of the passenjare!

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: February 23, 2021, 01:36:26 PM »

Caution:  open mind required to read this opinion column....

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/22/opinion/texas-electricity-storm.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

Nobel prizewinning economist explains why deregulation is a bad idea.  Electricity ain't avocados.
Please be advised that any posting of columns written by Paul Krugman should be cleared in advance by our own prize winning economist, REDSTATEWARD.  Thank you for your attention. 
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: February 23, 2021, 02:14:08 PM »

For the Muslim refugees, I recommend that they go to Abu Dhabi and to Dubai, they need essential workers, and they want to grow their populations.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: February 23, 2021, 02:15:44 PM »

On the issue of world peace...

Reagan loved the Afghans in their war against Russia, Reagan called the people of Afghanistan "Freedom Fighters."

And Reagan sold weapons to Iran to help the Contras in Nicaragua against the Sandinistas and the Russians. Also of note was that Iran released the American hostages as soon as Reagan was elected.

Reagan loved the Afghans and the Persians, and Reagan hated communism and stood up against Russia.

It is a crazy world because we were allies with Russia in World War II.

Those 3 are on the front burners, Russia, Afghanistan, and Iran, we need to improve relations with those 3.

China is one of the permanent 5 members of the United Nations Security Council with us as one of the winners of World War II. I had a roommate in Malibu who was the daughter of a General in China, she was great, and we talked a lot, we agreed that it will take wisdom and patience to improve relations between the USA and China, but there is no need for a blood bath, we want to be allies and we want to do business. The main thing with China is that the people need better human rights, and fair pay and good treatment, they need labor unions independent of their government, and the Chinese need to buy American products. The Chinese need to buy oranges and wine from California, etc. The Chinese need better human rights, and they need to buy our stuff.

With Latin America, everything is cool, we just need to create jobs and we need to educate the children, etc. We have some problems with Venezuela, but it will be okay. Meanwhile, the people from Venezuela can come to live in the USA, I recommend Nevada, Nevada is cheap and Nevada is safe. Battle Mountain is a cool spot, and there is a college in Elko for the people who want to study.

Also, for the immigrants from Latin America who are coming to the USA, we have the United Farm Workers union which will tell the workers where the jobs are, and the UFW will make sure that the workers are paid fair and that they are treated well.

Those are a few thoughts about world peace.

And right now we need to get the whole world vaccinated against the corona virus and we need to open the world economy back up and get tourists traveling again. Before the crisis over 160,000 jobs were created in Orange County from Tourism. We need the tourists.

Salute,

Tony V.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: February 23, 2021, 02:43:24 PM »

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: February 23, 2021, 02:47:34 PM »

On the subject of minimum wage. It should be phased in. This will allow businesses (especially small ones) to adjust their expenses in a manner that enables them to keep their business afloat without have to fire or displace workers. 

I'm not sure if either party has made such a proposal, but it sure seems like it is the path forward on the issue at hand.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: February 23, 2021, 02:49:57 PM »

Biden's proposal does phase-in the increase until 2025.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 2714