Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 1609 1610 [1611] 1612 1613 ... 2919

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 744314 times)

Holly Martins

Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #24150 on: February 09, 2022, 05:18:31 PM »

Ex-Trump White House aide Omarosa Manigault Newman has claimed that former President Donald Trump would sometimes chew on torn-up documents.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-eat-documents-paper-omarosa-b2010616.html

This was also covered in Readers Digest. 

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #24151 on: February 09, 2022, 05:19:55 PM »

Ex-Trump White House aide Omarosa Manigault Newman has claimed that former President Donald Trump would sometimes chew on torn-up documents.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-eat-documents-paper-omarosa-b2010616.html

This was also covered in Readers Digest.

<rimshot!>
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Holly Martins

« Reply #24152 on: February 09, 2022, 05:27:29 PM »

Open Everything
The time to end pandemic restrictions is now.
By Yascha Mounk

If no one ever went out to a restaurant or threw a party again, we would slow the spread of COVID as well as that of plenty of other infectious diseases. But that would be a cure worse than the disease. Like our ancestors, we should prioritize the living of life over the minimizing of mortality.

Let us drop the remaining restrictions on our everyday lives. Let us shake off the pandemic malaise. Open everything.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/02/end-coronavirus-restrictions/621627/

Mostly agree.  And, as he notes, we could return to some restrictions if new more dangerous variants appear.  But so far we do seem to be heading into an endemic phase where severe/lethal infections will happen at the rates seen with flu and where the primary focus will be on protecting nursing homes and assisted living units. 

Thanks, Larry!

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24153 on: February 09, 2022, 05:55:35 PM »

Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #24154 on: February 09, 2022, 06:00:57 PM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/02/09/suburban-women-voters-organize

If this becomes available in other fashions, I will share it, but to make a short summary of it, "the people are speaking, and the majority don't agree with the anti-mask mandate, book burning crowd.

On the other hand and certainly  better thought out

"thought"

Your preferred take presents an argument at its logical extremes and uses it to make an argument to a position for which nobody is advocating.
You must live in a cave.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #24155 on: February 09, 2022, 06:07:25 PM »

Open Everything
The time to end pandemic restrictions is now.
By Yascha Mounk

If no one ever went out to a restaurant or threw a party again, we would slow the spread of COVID as well as that of plenty of other infectious diseases. But that would be a cure worse than the disease. Like our ancestors, we should prioritize the living of life over the minimizing of mortality.

Let us drop the remaining restrictions on our everyday lives. Let us shake off the pandemic malaise. Open everything.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/02/end-coronavirus-restrictions/621627/

Mostly agree.  And, as he notes, we could return to some restrictions if new more dangerous variants appear.  But so far we do seem to be heading into an endemic phase where severe/lethal infections will happen at the rates seen with flu and where the primary focus will be on protecting nursing homes and assisted living units. 

Thanks, Larry!

Test all the sewage. Check air filters on passenger planes after every flight. Probably put filters that analyze and report what they capture periodically in indoor crowd environments. Dial in effective and workable protocols for different levels and types of pathogenic risk. Then open right up.

We are not really doing that, but we are opening up.

I take some solace that among the politically active the toll is predominantly on one side.

facilitatorn

• View Profile

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #24157 on: February 09, 2022, 06:27:17 PM »

News Item

Nine states are scaling back mask mandates, as Covid-19 case numbers fall and more officials push to get back to normal. New York, Illinois, Massachusetts and Rhode Island say rules requiring masks or proof of vaccinations would end by March. They joined California, Oregon, New Jersey, Connecticut and Delaware, which made similar announcements earlier this week.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #24158 on: February 09, 2022, 06:36:18 PM »

News Item

Nine states are scaling back mask mandates, as Covid-19 case numbers fall and more officials push to get back to normal. New York, Illinois, Massachusetts and Rhode Island say rules requiring masks or proof of vaccinations would end by March. They joined California, Oregon, New Jersey, Connecticut and Delaware, which made similar announcements earlier this week.

Late news
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24159 on: February 09, 2022, 06:43:04 PM »

Goebbels alert:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2022/02/03/fact-check-video-doesnt-show-brazilian-support-freedom-convoy/9289226002/

GOP mantra: If the truth doesn't work, lie.

They operate in an alternative universe.

That is not not zealotry on my part it is fact as you now agree.

Um...what do you mean by "now agree"?

https://exjournalistsunite.wordpress.com/2020/02/03/were-living-in-the-republican-partys-altered-states/

I've expressed my loathing for the GOP and its penchant for lying, distortion, and greed  for over 6 decades. 

But glad we agree.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24160 on: February 09, 2022, 06:45:58 PM »

Yes, kids in school should be unmasked. However, they should be all vaccinated against Covid-19 in order to stay in school.

That is all.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #24161 on: February 09, 2022, 08:10:01 PM »

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24162 on: February 09, 2022, 09:08:50 PM »

How do these fucks get elected?

https://twitter.com/profweinstein/status/1491403199227768835?s=21

Just about to post about that, myself:

https://politicalwire.com/2022/02/09/mayor-says-ice-fishing-could-lead-to-prostitution

It's more how do they get re-elected that gets me.

Perhaps this is what Ward means by "the people have spoken."
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24164 on: February 09, 2022, 10:37:57 PM »

by Admiral Mike Franken

Donald Trump's election sealed the deal for me to retire after nearly 4 decades in the U.S. Navy. Having been in uniform for every President since Jimmy Carter, I showed my respect for Mr. Trump with my feet. I was done. It was apparent that the next four years would not go well.

January 6th set a precedent that leadership in a political party will condone political violence. To this day, GOP members who continue to perpetuate the Big Lie are a direct threat to our democracy. An opportunity to come clean for my opponent, Senator Chuck Grassley, who voted against Trump's impeachment and blocked a bipartisan commission to investigate the attack, still has yet to occur.

The Republican party needs to cull its ranks of the active insurrectionists. Every single person involved in the January 6 attack needs to be held accountable for their actions, including sitting members of Congress who participated in the planning and execution of the insurrection.

I'm running for the U.S. Senate against Senator Chuck Grassley because I place nation over baseless insurrection. It is a decision not entirely unlike the time of Lincoln. One does not serve the nation in military service to watch idly while it is dismembered by the likes of Donald Trump and his accomplices, to include Chuck Grassley.

Mitch McConnell and his Super PACs are raising boatloads to spend against me. I am the ultimate "hard target" for the Republicans, but to get elected, I need your help. I'm not taking money from corporate PACs - instead, I'm relying entirely on grassroots donors like you.

Please, if you can afford to, donate $10 or more to my campaign right now - every dollar you can before midnight tonight - to help me defeat Chuck Grassley, turn Iowa blue, and protect our Democratic Senate majority.

We can - and we must - protect our democracy.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 10:44:37 PM by josh »
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham
Pages: 1 ... 1609 1610 [1611] 1612 1613 ... 2919