Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 1689 1690 [1691] 1692 1693 ... 2918

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 742194 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #25350 on: March 25, 2022, 07:52:27 PM »

It did appear at the SCOTUS Judiciary Hearings that democrats were laying low on the subject of Abortion.
Was that to make sure they did not lose the Manchin vote?

It is 6-3 regardless. That ship sailed long ago.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25351 on: March 25, 2022, 07:56:11 PM »

Manchin is not Presidential material. He barely belongs in the Senate on the far right bench.

Just because he is better than red and all his terribly deformed right wing icons does mean he is good enough.

The best Job creating President in US history is just fine with the best Job creating Vice President in US history and so am I.

Red will get used to them both in five or six years.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #25352 on: March 25, 2022, 07:58:19 PM »

Can you imagine the Biden  poll results today if  Joe Manchin was the Vice President?

Instead of knifing Biden in the back, as VP, Manchin would knife him in the front.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25353 on: March 25, 2022, 10:14:34 PM »

It did appear at the SCOTUS Judiciary Hearings that democrats were laying low on the subject of Abortion.
Was that to make sure they did not lose the Manchin vote?

Still can't define "woman."

LOL!
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25354 on: March 25, 2022, 10:20:30 PM »

The Other 98%

To the handful of Facebook friends expressing outrage over trans athlete Lia Thomas accompanied by the hashtag SaveWomensSports:
I was kind of surprised by some of you, to be honest, because I've never known you to be concerned about women's sports before. So I scrolled through your timeline to make sure I wasn't missing something. Maybe some post or commentary showing concern or support for Naomi Osaka or Simone Biles or Brittney Griner. Surely you've been advocating for equal pay alongside the USWNST all these years and maybe re-posted celebrations of Megan Rapinoe or Carli Lloyd or some other trailblazer when the settlement with US Soccer Federation was recently reached. No? No posts commemorating the 50th anniversary of Title IX, either?

Let me get this straight. You were silent about Larry Nassar but now outraged by Lia Thomas? That seems odd to me. I'm curious to know the inspiration for your newfound passion for women's sports.

As you may know, I have a high school daughter who's been competing in a variety of sports for several years now and who aspires to compete at the next level. I'm a huge fan of Anika Raburn and her teammates, in particular, and consider myself a strong advocate for women's athletics, in general. Scroll through MY timeline. I think I have a smidgen of street cred to express my humble opinion on the topic.

To be clear, Lia Thomas does not dominate the sport of swimming (she placed 5th and 8th in other events at the meet), nor do any of the tiny percentage of trans athletes who compete in their respective sports across the US.

Trans athletes pose no threat to women's sports.

You know what does? Lack of funding, lack of protection, rampant sexual harassment, and unequal pay. To be sure, I do not lay awake at night worrying that Anika may someday have to compete against a trans woman.

Of course, there are nuanced conversations to be had about fairness and competitive advantage, etc. - complex issues and policies about which the IOC and NCAA and other governing bodies grapple and tweak on an ongoing basis. (Note: Lia Thomas tested within the normal range for testosterone for female athletes).

I'm willing to discuss these issues with you too.

But first, show me a shred of evidence that you are actually concerned about women's sports.

Also, I'd like to know if you've ever even had a trans friend or supported a parent of a trans child or have some appreciation for the fact that trans kids are at hugely disproportionate risk for suicide or can acknowledge how challenging it is for trans kids to find a "space" to be and to fit in and understand that team sports can sometimes provide that rare space.

Do you naturally default to "inclusion" rather than "exclusion?"

If not, my assumption is that your interest in "saving" women's sports is nothing more than thinly-veiled transphobia among a broader anti-LGBTQ right-wing hate agenda and would respectfully decline any attempt at meaningful conversation with you on the topic.

I would also suggest you pick a different battle and leave women's sports to those of us who are actually passionate about it. However, if you are truly interested in the topic, might I suggest turning your attention to Brittney Griner, American athlete wrongfully imprisoned in Russia. #SaveBrittneyGriner

There, I fixed your hashtag.

Thanks

Stephen Raburn
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 10:24:05 PM by josh »
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #25355 on: March 26, 2022, 10:11:46 AM »

- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Holly Martins

« Reply #25356 on: March 26, 2022, 11:56:33 AM »

Not going to click on a propaganda website unless a brief summary of content is provided.  Shouting a state name is not a summary.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25357 on: March 26, 2022, 01:40:02 PM »

Kid feels the kind of terrorism he supports can be politically successful in this country. It is vital we prove that kid is terribly misinformed in addition to what we all know so far - that kid is intolerably misformed.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #25358 on: March 26, 2022, 01:50:40 PM »

https://www.foxnews.com/media/georgia-parent-school-board-graphic-book

GEORGIA!!!
A nice reminder to pay attention to the school board and let the members know you are paying attention.
Thanks for posting.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #25359 on: March 26, 2022, 03:06:08 PM »

Biden says Putin cannot  remain in power!

But wait.

Later the White House says that is not what Biden meant.

President was not discussing Mr. Putin s  power in Russia or a regime change, a White House official says

Oh.

Holly Martins

« Reply #25360 on: March 26, 2022, 04:09:38 PM »

But wait.

President was not discussing Mr. Putin s  power in Russia or a regime change, a White House official says

Oh.

And you STILL can't find the Ukraine war thread.  LOL!

(agree that Joe's phrasing was highly confusing)

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #25361 on: March 26, 2022, 06:49:17 PM »

Elections have consequences.

States led by Republican governors and legislatures have been overwhelmingly more successful at bringing their respective state economic recovery before those governed by Democrats, according to an analysis of the February statebystate unemployment data from the Department of Labor.

Through February, 15 of the top 20 states led by Republican governors are doing a better job versus those led by Democrats governors. And 17 of the top 20 recovering states have Republican-controlled legislatures

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #25362 on: March 26, 2022, 10:16:57 PM »

The Other 98%

To the handful of Facebook friends expressing outrage over trans athlete Lia Thomas accompanied by the hashtag SaveWomensSports:
I was kind of surprised by some of you, to be honest, because I've never known you to be concerned about women's sports before. So I scrolled through your timeline to make sure I wasn't missing something. Maybe some post or commentary showing concern or support for Naomi Osaka or Simone Biles or Brittney Griner. Surely you've been advocating for equal pay alongside the USWNST all these years and maybe re-posted celebrations of Megan Rapinoe or Carli Lloyd or some other trailblazer when the settlement with US Soccer Federation was recently reached. No? No posts commemorating the 50th anniversary of Title IX, either?

Let me get this straight. You were silent about Larry Nassar but now outraged by Lia Thomas? That seems odd to me. I'm curious to know the inspiration for your newfound passion for women's sports.

As you may know, I have a high school daughter who's been competing in a variety of sports for several years now and who aspires to compete at the next level. I'm a huge fan of Anika Raburn and her teammates, in particular, and consider myself a strong advocate for women's athletics, in general. Scroll through MY timeline. I think I have a smidgen of street cred to express my humble opinion on the topic.

To be clear, Lia Thomas does not dominate the sport of swimming (she placed 5th and 8th in other events at the meet), nor do any of the tiny percentage of trans athletes who compete in their respective sports across the US.

Trans athletes pose no threat to women's sports.

You know what does? Lack of funding, lack of protection, rampant sexual harassment, and unequal pay. To be sure, I do not lay awake at night worrying that Anika may someday have to compete against a trans woman.

Of course, there are nuanced conversations to be had about fairness and competitive advantage, etc. - complex issues and policies about which the IOC and NCAA and other governing bodies grapple and tweak on an ongoing basis. (Note: Lia Thomas tested within the normal range for testosterone for female athletes).

I'm willing to discuss these issues with you too.

But first, show me a shred of evidence that you are actually concerned about women's sports.

Also, I'd like to know if you've ever even had a trans friend or supported a parent of a trans child or have some appreciation for the fact that trans kids are at hugely disproportionate risk for suicide or can acknowledge how challenging it is for trans kids to find a "space" to be and to fit in and understand that team sports can sometimes provide that rare space.

Do you naturally default to "inclusion" rather than "exclusion?"

If not, my assumption is that your interest in "saving" women's sports is nothing more than thinly-veiled transphobia among a broader anti-LGBTQ right-wing hate agenda and would respectfully decline any attempt at meaningful conversation with you on the topic.

I would also suggest you pick a different battle and leave women's sports to those of us who are actually passionate about it. However, if you are truly interested in the topic, might I suggest turning your attention to Brittney Griner, American athlete wrongfully imprisoned in Russia. #SaveBrittneyGriner

There, I fixed your hashtag.

Thanks

Stephen Raburn

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #25363 on: March 26, 2022, 10:18:31 PM »

But wait.

Oh.

Whatever happened to politics stops at the water edge?

Lyndon Johnson

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25364 on: March 27, 2022, 12:15:36 AM »

Elections have consequences.

States led by Republican governors and legislatures have been overwhelmingly more successful at bringing their respective state economic recovery before those governed by Democrats, according to an analysis of the February statebystate unemployment data from the Department of Labor.

Through February, 15 of the top 20 states led by Republican governors are doing a better job versus those led by Democrats governors. And 17 of the top 20 recovering states have Republican-controlled legislatures

100% of the states successfully recovering from the Trump/COVID recession are led by a Democratic President. That is 50 out of 50. Elections have consequences indeed.
A parrot bit me.
Pages: 1 ... 1689 1690 [1691] 1692 1693 ... 2918