Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 1828 1829 [1830] 1831 1832 ... 2923

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 748968 times)

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #27435 on: May 26, 2022, 11:37:51 PM »

I dont know the current TX laws. You think you do.   That's fine.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #27436 on: May 26, 2022, 11:39:23 PM »

Ignorance is bliss...
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27437 on: May 27, 2022, 12:21:42 AM »

Feckless I called you and feckless you are.

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/05/24/texas-gun-laws-uvalde-mass-shootings/

https://guides.sll.texas.gov/gun-laws/carry-of-firearms

https://guides.sll.texas.gov/gun-laws/owning-possessing

https://guides.sll.texas.gov/gun-laws/stand-your-ground

(I skipped the item on gun ranges as it seemed totally irrelevant.)

What changes would you make?

And to what end asking me what changes I would make if you knew too little to be able to respond intelligently?

Kid, I used to be a card-carrying NRA member. I taught riflery and competed (badly) on my college's pistol team my freshman year.

While I was an expert shooter (of rifles, not pistols), I am not an expert on gun laws without looking them up or if they are actively in the news. Texas' gun laws have been in the news nearly every year for a long while.

Guidance Counselor laws and info, OTOH, is in my field and I know that stuff.

About 75 of their school districts meet or exceed the NACAC's recommendation for guidance counselor to student ratio of 1 to 250.

Over 330 of them have a ratio more than double that recommendation (that is, more than 1 counselor for more than 500 students).

More than 1000 total public school districts, excluding the charters, etc.

75 meet the standard.

A bit over 500 psychiatric physicians (MD or DO) in Texas. Not enough.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27438 on: May 27, 2022, 01:05:15 AM »

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27439 on: May 27, 2022, 08:21:19 AM »

As you talk about mental health screening as a way to prevent attacks, I would remind you of the story of Lisa Nowak.

I don't know that any agency of the government does more thorough screening of their candidates than NASA does. Nothing they saw would predict what she did in a fit of pique.

Was it a mass shooting? No. But it was and is emblematic of our inability to anticipate reactions to circumstances.

Good point.

Our best idea in my opinion is to improve security at schools, and at public places.

And if people are too greedy to spend the money to protect our children, then we need to use lawyers to force the schools to protect our children.

Bambu keeps talking about absolute security, but it remains a myth.
So now we learn the Uvalde shooter  walked in through an unlocked school door and there was no guard on duty.
No wonder Chuck Schumer canceled a Senate vote on gun restrictions.
What a sick hack he is.
Since we know you are a proven liar, and since the news reports and the comments by the police indicate that the shooter was confronted by an armed resource officer, and since Repos blocked even voting on HB 8, your soir e for all this or it is more of your lying bullshit you sick CPH.
A parrot bit me.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #27440 on: May 27, 2022, 08:35:43 AM »

Since we know you are a proven liar, and since the news reports ................and the comments by the police indicate that the shooter was confronted by an armed resource officer................................., and since Repos blocked even voting on HB 8, your soir e for all this or it is more of your lying bullshit you sick CPH.

This has since been amended.  The shooter was not confronted.   

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #27441 on: May 27, 2022, 08:39:10 AM »

The blocking of voting is based on the makeup of the bill.  If simplified, easier topass things.

Got that, Chuck?

This is what McConnell is getting at when he instructs Cornyn to get some common sense legislation on the table.  He wants Cornyn to be more forceful in whittling the legislation down to not include  the BIG CHUNK stuff the NRA and Republicans will have the most trouble  with

The LITTLE, which could help, is not getting done because the BIG STUFF DEMS DESIRE is being insisted on.  Cant get more clar than this.

Have a great day.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #27442 on: May 27, 2022, 10:27:32 AM »

The blocking of voting is based on the makeup of the bill.  If simplified, easier topass things.

Got that, Chuck?

This is what McConnell is getting at when he instructs Cornyn to get some common sense legislation on the table.  He wants Cornyn to be more forceful in whittling the legislation down to not include  the BIG CHUNK stuff the NRA and Republicans will have the most trouble  with

The LITTLE, which could help, is not getting done because the BIG STUFF DEMS DESIRE is being insisted on.  Cant get more clar than this.

Have a great day.

Yeah.

In America we cannot do big things because conservatives measure everything by the size of of their dicks.

Big guns to compensate

Small but deals to go with reality.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Holly Martins

« Reply #27443 on: May 27, 2022, 11:35:37 AM »

I find "do small stuff" strategies unimpressive for several reasons.  I took a minute to list some of them.

One, small stuff is easier to revoke next election cycle.  (See Clinton administration)

Two, it often focuses on measures that don't solve mass shootings - more LMHP is good, but do alienated raging loners tend to seek mental health help?  Background checks are good, but most mass shooters have no priors, and there are still private gun shows all over where federal licensee requirements don't come into play.

Three, multiple classes of rapid fire weapons may not technically be in a banned category of assault style, so gun buyers simply move to those models to build their arsenal.  Also, how can I put this: CRAIGSLIST.  And someone is always selling.

Four, waiting periods do decrease suicides, but mass shooters are often operating in a long-range planning mode.  So, yes, good idea, but still not getting to the heart of the problem.

Five, 350 million guns.  How can I put this: CRAIGSLIST.

I suggest this is why so many countries simply make all weapons other than hunting rifles and pistols illegal.  And then follow up with buybacks and other legal tools to remove assault weapons from the public arsenal and make private sales a felony.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #27444 on: May 27, 2022, 11:44:47 AM »

Since we know you are a proven liar, and since the news reports ................and the comments by the police indicate that the shooter was confronted by an armed resource officer................................., and since Repos blocked even voting on HB 8, your soir e for all this or it is more of your lying bullshit you sick CPH.

So you are saying the cops lied.  No. Really.

But the lying CPH said there was no security on duty. Are you saying the cops also created the resource officer out of whole cloth?
A parrot bit me.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #27445 on: May 27, 2022, 11:57:07 AM »

Senator Bill Cassidy (R. LA) claims that people need AR 15s so they can gun down feral pigs. I am surprised he is so blythe about the killing of his fellow Republican Senators.

GOP Senator Offers Untamed Response To Question About Assault Weapons
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/bill-cassidy-hogs-assault-weapons_n_6290893ce4b0edd2d02212c6
A parrot bit me.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27446 on: May 27, 2022, 12:25:19 PM »

But the lying CPH said there was no security on duty. Are you saying the cops also created the resource officer out of whole cloth?

Kid is correct that the initial claim that the shooter had a police interaction prior to entering the building was retracted.

Per CNN:
"He walked in unobstructed initially," Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) Regional Director Victor Escalon said. "So from the grandmother's house, to the (ditch), to the school, into the school, he was not confronted by anybody."

A DPS representative on Wednesday said a school resource officer had "engaged" with the suspect before he went in the school.
That door is normally locked, "unless you are leaving to go home on the school bus," former principal Ross McGlothlin told CNN's Newsroom on Thursday.

There was no school resource officer on site or available at the time, he said.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 12:27:32 PM by josh »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27447 on: May 27, 2022, 12:32:53 PM »

Senator Bill Cassidy (R. LA) claims that people need AR 15s so they can gun down feral pigs. I am surprised he is so blythe about the killing of his fellow Republican Senators.

GOP Senator Offers Untamed Response To Question About Assault Weapons
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/bill-cassidy-hogs-assault-weapons_n_6290893ce4b0edd2d02212c6

From the National Wild Turkey Federation:
"Most 12 and 20 gauge turkey shotguns of today have features that make them ideal for hog hunting."

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #27448 on: May 27, 2022, 12:36:54 PM »

I am saying nobody shot at this kid or was shot at by this kid  prior to his entering the school.   Barton had previously used that there WAS a confrontation - brushed aside by the kid - to show that such deterrence is negligible - and was of course incorrect.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #27449 on: May 27, 2022, 12:43:28 PM »

I am saying nobody shot at this kid or was shot at by this kid  prior to his entering the school.   Barton had previously used that there WAS a confrontation - brushed aside by the kid - to show that such deterrence is negligible - and was of course incorrect.
So, yes, the cops lied. And Barton took them at their word.
A parrot bit me.
Pages: 1 ... 1828 1829 [1830] 1831 1832 ... 2923