Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 2929

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 764281 times)

barton

Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #630 on: January 30, 2021, 11:51:14 AM »

GM...

Was going to post that here.   Fairly bold for a company that large to propose complete retooling in 14 years.   Very encouraging to see them join big corporations like BP and RD Shell in a commitment to move towards sustainability.  It means even very entrenched business leaders are recognizing the end of oil.   And charging stations are popping up everywhere.  ( I've been saying my next car will be an electric -- its now feasible, because there are charging stations all along the routes I travel from here in the middle of nowhere.   Aiming to replace my Honda Fit in 5 years -- hoping by then that more EVs will be in my price range.   And have more robust heaters. )

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #631 on: January 30, 2021, 11:54:49 AM »

GM intends to sell electric cars only by 2035.
I recall back in 2000 when Al Gore was saying it was time to do start doing away with the internal combustion engine and he was ridiculed as an idiot.  Same with his proposal for a national $0.50 per gallon gas tax, which was also forward thinking and then after W Bush won and attacked Iraq for no particular reason and gas prices doubled, it was clear that America could easily absorb a 50 cent a gallon tax.

Really I don't know why Biden doesn't implement a $25 cent a gallon national tax.  Install it increments of 5 cents per year and it would be barely noticeable with the way gas prices fluctuate, and it would certainly raise a lot of revenue.  (150 billion gallons x.05 = $7.5B per year).  But they probably don't want surburbanites to get riled.  Sell the national gasoline tax as a way of helping the environment, maybe paying for some infrastructure road/bridge projects, paying for some of the CV-aid packages, encouraging the switch to electric vehicles, etc.

Article I, Section 8, Clause 1:

The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States; . . .

barton

« Reply #632 on: January 30, 2021, 12:03:45 PM »

And he said "national" gas tax.   What,  you don't think helping the environment is part of "the general welfare of the United States" oh constitutional scholar? 

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: January 30, 2021, 12:43:59 PM »

And he said "national" gas tax.   What,  you don't think helping the environment is part of "the general welfare of the United States" oh constitutional scholar?
Well, after a half dozen LOLs and a few "you must not read very wells' and assorted childish bullshit, it may turn out that Red is pointing out Congress, not Biden, has the power to impose taxes, but Red is just too much of a.dick to just say that. I mean, everyone understands bo was talking about the tax as policy position, including Red, but again, he is a dick.
A parrot bit me.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: January 30, 2021, 02:15:40 PM »

Al...as I remember it...was touring the world in jets preaching climate change etc...while consuming 10 times as much electricity in his mansions etc as the average American.

And if Captain Smith of the Titanic hadn't failed to take heed of ice warnings that luxury liner could've kept on cruising and all 2,200 souls would've made it home.   

Don't ignore or blame the person who warns you about the danger just because they are in the same boat.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: January 30, 2021, 02:17:59 PM »

Every time Saddam moved his military to Iraq's borders, threatening war/invasions...US had to react and defend his targets.

Except for that entire Iran-Iraq war.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #636 on: January 30, 2021, 02:51:11 PM »

Then change the Constitution.
The power to tax lies with the Congress.

barton

« Reply #637 on: January 30, 2021, 03:00:19 PM »

See Lime reply.  As he prophesied,  you obtusely assume Biden would not work with Congress on this.   

And ducking my question noted.   Dick. 

barton

« Reply #638 on: January 30, 2021, 03:01:45 PM »

And a wedge of Key Lime to Lime,  for parsing your bad faith argument.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #639 on: January 30, 2021, 03:06:42 PM »

Electric cars?
Lovely.
No pollution, all good.

Where is all the extra electricity going to come from?
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

barton

« Reply #640 on: January 30, 2021, 03:10:56 PM »

Al...as I remember it...was touring the world in jets preaching climate change etc...while consuming 10 times as much electricity in his mansions etc as the average American.

And if Captain Smith of the Titanic hadn't failed to take heed of ice warnings that luxury liner could've kept on cruising and all 2,200 souls would've made it home.   

Don't ignore or blame the person who warns you about the danger just because they are in the same boat.

Good analogy.   People bearing inconvenient facts can't win with the close-minded:  if they travel by jet, they're called hypocrites.   If they take a solar boat on an arduous ocean crossing,  they're called pretentious showoffs.  In any case,  the ad hominem is a classic logical fallacy.   Anything to avoid the facts.   

barton

« Reply #641 on: January 30, 2021, 03:15:17 PM »

Electric cars?
Lovely.
No pollution, all good.

Where is all the extra electricity going to come from?

Renewables.   That's the point.   And even if extra power comes from a natural gas plant,  the mpg-equivalent is still much higher than a conventional IC engine car.   Estimated at 80-120 mpg-equivalent.  A power plant is vastly more efficient than a gasoline engine in a car.   Even with line losses,  you still come out ahead and create far less carbon per mile. 

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: January 30, 2021, 03:33:49 PM »

See Lime reply.  As he prophesied,  you obtusely assume Biden would not work with Congress on this.   

"Lie, deny, and obfuscate."
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: January 30, 2021, 03:38:56 PM »

http://www.salon.com/2021/01/30/republicans-are-no-longer-a-political-party-theyre-a-mob/

Got to work the crooked goons out of Congress, then see what’s left to work with. Got to perp walk 100 out of the house and 15 out of the Senate for their material support of insurrection and terrorism.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #644 on: January 30, 2021, 04:00:39 PM »

I didn’t duck any question.
And don’t know what Biden has to do with the Constitutional framework of raising federal taxes but I see no reason he could not work with Congress since his party is in control of all three branches.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 2929