Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 438 439 [440] 441 442 ... 2929

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 763520 times)

barton

Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #6585 on: May 05, 2021, 10:16:39 PM »

However, he should face charges for shooting a fleeing felon, no?

No

Your views are extreme

The taser is not life-threatening, that's what the police keep telling us.   So,  many Americans wondered,  why use lethal force on someone with a nonlethal weapon.   Especially a frightened fleeing drunk.  The purpose of having a trial is to get answers to such questions -- and to determine what a reasonable person in law enforcement would do,  that would best protect the public and safely apprehend the suspect.    We had this discussion last summer, but you weren't really listening at the time.   

As I recall,  most of us not in the deathly grip of a political cult saw that letting the drunk run to mom's house,  sleep it off,  and be picked up in the morning was a better choice than execution.   

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6586 on: May 05, 2021, 10:18:47 PM »

I’m all in favor of transferring Montana’s statehood to PR until we can figure out what the hell is going on in Montana.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #6587 on: May 05, 2021, 10:20:50 PM »

No

Your views are extreme

The taser is not life-threatening, that's what the police keep telling us.   So,  many Americans wondered,  why use lethal force on someone with a nonlethal weapon.   Especially a frightened fleeing drunk.  The purpose of having a trial is to get answers to such questions -- and to determine what a reasonable person in law enforcement would do,  that would best protect the public and safely apprehend the suspect.    We had this discussion last summer, but you weren't really listening at the time.   

As I recall,  most of us not in the deathly grip of a political cult saw that letting the drunk run to mom's house,  sleep it off,  and be picked up in the morning was a better choice than execution.

Quite

But with kidcarter the only good black guy is a dead one unless it’s a conservative who hates black people as much as he does.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #6588 on: May 05, 2021, 10:24:17 PM »

http://m.dailykos.com/stories/2021/5/5/2029152/-Biden-is-eating-Republicans-lunch

As a response the republicans are going to eat some more of their own, ones not already picked off by the FBI.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6589 on: May 05, 2021, 10:27:29 PM »

News Item ( Man Bites Dog Department)

By The Associated Press
HELENA, Mont. — Montana is ending its participation in the federal unemployment program that gives people extra weekly unemployment benefit payments as the state struggles with a worker shortage, Republican Gov. Greg Gianforte announced Tuesday.

Beginning June 27, unemployed workers in the state will no longer receive $300 in weekly extra benefits funded by the federal government through Sept. 6.

For those who return to work and keep their job for 4 weeks Montana will pay them a bonus of $1200. The governor approved $15 million in funding for the incentives from federal coronavirus relief money allocated to the state in March.

Montana has 10-14,000 few workers than it did pre-pandemic so this move underscores that Congress did far more harm than good with its bonus jobless benefit, and it could help the job market recover faster by repealing it.  A conclusion of most economists months ago.
"Most" economists have determined that there is no subjective evidence that unemployment benefits have any effect on the decision to return to work.

Maybe Montana employers should pay a living wage rather than exploit poverty for.cheap labor.
Might want to do your homework, or take a math lesson.
So you are unable to support your cut and paste argument. Behave as expected.
I only posted facts.
You have yet to post one.
You have posted no facts to support your opinion. The right wing governor of a Conservative state spouting a false right wing  narrative is not a fact. There remains  no empirical evidence of a link between extended benefits and labor shortages.

Montana's unemployment rate is under 4%. No wonder shit jobs are the ones that are left. If you think the failure to fill positions is because people make more money on UI, let the market dictate wages. Pay enough money in good working co ditions to lure in workers.
A parrot bit me.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #6590 on: May 05, 2021, 10:34:19 PM »

By The Associated Press
HELENA, Mont. — Montana is ending its participation in the federal unemployment program that gives people extra weekly unemployment benefit payments as the state struggles with a worker shortage, Republican Gov. Greg Gianforte announced Tuesday.

Beginning June 27, unemployed workers in the state will no longer receive $300 in weekly extra benefits funded by the federal government through Sept. 6.

For those who return to work and keep their job for 4 weeks Montana will pay them a bonus of $1200. The governor approved $15 million in funding for the incentives from federal coronavirus relief money allocated to the state in March.

Montana has 10-14,000 few workers than it did pre-pandemic so this move underscores that Congress did far more harm than good with its bonus jobless benefit, and it could help the job market recover faster by repealing it.  A conclusion of most economists months ago.
"Most" economists have determined that there is no subjective evidence that unemployment benefits have any effect on the decision to return to work.

Maybe Montana employers should pay a living wage rather than exploit poverty for.cheap labor.
I only posted facts.
You have posted no facts to support your opinion. The right wing governor of a Conservative state spouting a false right wing  narrative is not a fact. There remains  no empirical evidence of a link between extended benefits and labor shortages.

Montana's unemployment rate is under 4%. No wonder shit jobs are the ones that are left. If you think the failure to fill positions is because people make more money on UI, let the market dictate wages. Pay enough money in good working co ditions to lure in workers.

Governor body slam was another canary in the coal mine of this GOP.

Yesterday I read “The Sum of Us” by Heather McGhee.It’s a surprisingly quick read with a lot of depth even though I’m probably a member of the choir. My dog had surgery to remove a growth on her neck and while I waited i gave it a whirl. it turned out be a real page turner.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #6591 on: May 05, 2021, 11:08:09 PM »

By The Associated Press

I only posted facts.
Nothing I posted had the Montana Governor saying anything other than the fact the $300 bonus unemployment check mandated by the Feds would no longer be in effect after June 27th.
Instead those who find one of the plentiful jobs available and stays with it for 4 weeks will get a $1200 bonus.
Thousands of available jobs are unfilled in Montana. The State Government has a different approach to getting people back to work which will result in no net loss in income to those who find a job and get the bonus. Glory be. The one size-all federal diktat from Washington is not working in Montana.  Thank goodness for Federalism.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #6592 on: May 05, 2021, 11:11:03 PM »

No

Your views are extreme

Since when is anything on here a consensus of reality in the life of first responders?

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #6593 on: May 05, 2021, 11:30:45 PM »

Generally when it contradicts some bullshit garbage you recycle and try to pass off as your own.

facilitatorn

• View Profile

facilitatorn

• View Profile

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #6596 on: May 06, 2021, 08:57:40 AM »

Yes

Which is why I didn't rehash it with Larry

We're out one Wendy's, is all I know.

- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #6597 on: May 06, 2021, 09:00:32 AM »

And this is exactly what would have happened, correct?

"I'm fleeing, pick me up tomorrow" would become the new battle cry.

heh

Imagine such a world....

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #6598 on: May 06, 2021, 09:02:22 AM »

Instead those who find one of the plentiful jobs available and stays with it for 4 weeks will get a $1200 bonus.

They prefer INDEFINITE bonuses, sadly.

Maybe MT can get enough folks to take the deal.  Its a nice effort by the state.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6599 on: May 06, 2021, 09:14:34 AM »

And this is exactly what would have happened, correct?

"I'm fleeing, pick me up tomorrow" would become the new battle cry.

heh

Imagine such a world....

We do it with the wealthy regularly.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham
Pages: 1 ... 438 439 [440] 441 442 ... 2929