Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 566 567 [568] 569 570 ... 2928

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 758112 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #8505 on: June 04, 2021, 03:44:26 AM »

http://www.politico.com/news/2021/06/03/us-jobless-claims-pandemic-low-491729

Waiting for some fat stooge to misinterpret the data.

In the meantime, good job Joe.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #8506 on: June 04, 2021, 04:50:02 AM »

http://youtu.be/-3Hcg-9uWA8

Oh bitches, Achtung.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #8507 on: June 04, 2021, 05:21:18 AM »

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8508 on: June 04, 2021, 07:14:06 AM »

History?

We don’t need to hear no steenkin history!

(The following is a pull quote)*

”But the disruption was no glitch. One of the event’s organizers later admitted the audio had been deliberately turned down, telling the Akron Beacon Journal that Kemter’s discussion of Black history “was not relevant to our program for the day.”*

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/06/03/ohio-barnard-kempter-mic-memorial-day/

Yeah! I saw that and must agree. That's like tearing down statues of Robert E. Lee!
Mary Mother of Christ even when you are right you immediately turn racist. Choosing who gets honored in a public space is nothing like shutting down a speaker you do not agree with.

It's so wrong to edit history to suit a political purpose. Various POVs matter when considering any era.
Statues are not history and taking them down doesn’t edit history. Post Communist governments of.Eastern Europe removed dozens of Soviet era statues. If you want, there is a park outside Budapest where you can go see them. That did not erase the Soviet era from history, and that is not why they were taken down. No one has erected a statue of Mohammed Atta in a 9/11 memorial to "teach history". Or a statue of Timothy McVeigh or Pol Pot. That is because statues are erected to honor people, not teach history. If a government feels it no longer wants to honor Lee, it gets to take down his statue. Rather than erasing him from history, it is actually teaching about his history with greater clarity: his conscious choice to serve evil is not worthy of the public honor of.a.statue.

Doing that is like something you'd see during the Chinese Cultural Revolution.
So if China ever overcomes its current leadership and becomes a Democracy they need to leave up all the communist statues, murals, public art?

"Statues are not history." ---Steve from AZ.

Yeah, they are. They reflect the culture of the time in which they were made and installed. Adding context and information, or art that counterbalances or corrects false narratives like the Sons of the South proffer is what a democracy can allow. But the intolerant left in its zeal opted not to do that.

Just as the Chinese Cultural Revolution did. Once we go down the path of testing down statues that don't tell the story we prefer, it becomes just a matter of time before you and all the other uber-liberals propose reeducation camps for Trump supporters or all Republicans.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 07:16:37 AM by Hamilton Samuels »
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #8511 on: June 04, 2021, 08:39:06 AM »

Zero reason for this

But enjoy your time off, Bob.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #8512 on: June 04, 2021, 08:42:52 AM »

Yeah, they are. They reflect the culture of the time in which they were made and installed. Adding context and information, or art that counterbalances or corrects false narratives like the Sons of the South proffer is what a democracy can allow. But the intolerant left in its zeal opted not to do that.

Just as the Chinese Cultural Revolution did. Once we go down the path of testing down statues that don't tell the story we prefer, it becomes just a matter of time before you and all the other uber-liberals propose reeducation camps for Trump supporters or all Republicans.

Were the organizers correct in cutting the speaker’s mic for giving information of the history of Memorial Day during the commemoration of Memorial Day?
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #8513 on: June 04, 2021, 08:56:22 AM »

Zero reason for this

But enjoy your time off, Bob.

Of course not!
Who cares if it ain’t your ox being gored?

It was a nasty and unnecessary swipe disguised as a “joke.”

C’mon, kid. Do better after all these years.

Lyndon Johnson

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8514 on: June 04, 2021, 08:56:56 AM »

Those statues are not history. They are art you intellectually dishonest racist. If you can make an argument that a bronze cast statue of Lee was intended as art or has reached that status i will listen. And remind you that in general those statues are not being destroyed but removed from the public squares. And that plenty of public art has been removed because the people no longer want it displayed there, like the giant rubber stamp that used to be in the public square in Cleveland that was shipped off to a warehouse in Illinois. (I think it is now in a less visible space in a less prominent park).

So I take it your reaction to the people of Iraq, aided by US troops, tore down statues to Sadam Hussein during Gulf 2: This Time We Finish the Job was to shout at the screen "No, no! That's HISTORY!"? Or does your argument only apply if the people citizens no longer want to honor are your fellow American racists?
A parrot bit me.

Holly Martins

« Reply #8515 on: June 04, 2021, 09:00:38 AM »

("David" JPEG)

Boz was referring to town square statues honoring political and military figures. 

Those statues are saying "this is what our community honors and reveres, this represents our values."   Moving them to a museum or historical park is not a Maoist erasure of history.   

Showing pics of David and Ms Liberty is a strawman.   No one's getting rid of art treasures.   Rather than answer Boz's actual point,  you tackle a position no one's taking.   
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 09:15:48 AM by Holly Martins »

Holly Martins

« Reply #8516 on: June 04, 2021, 09:08:50 AM »

Oops.   Redundant post.

Anyway.   Tearing down statues of tyrants and slavers IS history.   A historical moment which is recorded,  and which marks social change.   That slaver statue in Bristol they tossed in the bay... that action was part of history in the UK.   

Contrast with Taliban who blew up the ancient Buddha statues -- now that's vandalism and the erasure of a priceless cultural treasure.   

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #8517 on: June 04, 2021, 10:01:20 AM »

Uno,  you are quite possibly the most dishonest poster I've ever encountered on a message board.   Your deleted post of January 19 made a monumental lie of your previous expression of sympathy.   The kind of hatred it takes to attack a man by means of his wife's recent death does not bear contemplation and I will not linger on it.   You are one sick puppy.   The day you apologize for your behavior here is the day I would see you as starting to recover from whatever sickness bedevils you.

Thank you. My Evil Incarnate profile has been restored. You may now carry on believing yourself to be my superior, when in fact you are not.

GFY.

Take your own advice.

You believe you’re superior to me and you’re not.

Sorry, Larry. You've already lost the war.

Sleep well.

My roommate’s television is broken so no Family Feud Marathon on Game Show Network.

I slept like a baby.

You went to bed thinking about me.

How sweet.

Here ya go!

Suits you to a T

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4rQDyRCZtg
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 10:11:20 AM by LarryBnDC »

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #8518 on: June 04, 2021, 10:10:21 AM »

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8519 on: June 04, 2021, 10:25:17 AM »

Oh, the agony, right?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/diamondbacks/2021/06/03/bob-brenly-diamondbacks-leave-of-absence-mets-marcus-stroman-comments/7535975002/

We can now add that to the pile of incidents in which the hypersensitive and easily offended can chortle with revenge as yet snother is sacrificed on the Big Altar of The Woke.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.
Pages: 1 ... 566 567 [568] 569 570 ... 2928