Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 2687

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 493361 times)

Oilcan

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2020, 10:43:06 AM »

Wall Street is bracing for the incoming Biden team to name the industry’s top cop. And so far, the list of candidates for the job of chairing the Securities and Exchange Commission has the industry justifiably worried.

Two at the top of the list — Preet Bharara, the former U.S. attorney for the Southern District of New York, and Gary Gensler, the former Commodity Futures Trading Commission chief — have built reputations as no-nonsense enforcers against industry wrongdoing. 

Good choices.
Punch, brothers, punch with care!
Punch in the presence of the passenjare!

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2020, 05:51:42 PM »

Funny wording in that quote.  The industry is justifiably worried of enforcers against industry wrongdoing.

If you aint doing anything wrong what are you worried about?
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2020, 09:52:49 AM »

Funny wording in that quote.  The industry is justifiably worried of enforcers against industry wrongdoing.

If you aint doing anything wrong what are you worried about?

Compliance costs lots of money, eating away at profits, even when you're doing "nothing wrong". So the concern is legitimate for many law abiding companies.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2020, 10:00:10 AM »

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2020, 08:14:15 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/15/politics/death-penalty-congress-letter-pressley/index.html

Pushing to Have Biden get rid of the death penalty fast and across all venues.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2020, 03:06:40 PM »

The President-Elect has pledged to reopen the schools within the first 100 days of his administration.

I think it is a foolish promise.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

barton

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2020, 05:19:20 PM »

For me,  it depends.  If everyone over 70 or with serious comorbidities can be vaxed by April 30 (roughly 100 days post-inauguration), then it does seem reasonable to reopen.   

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2020, 05:23:01 PM »

The President-Elect has pledged to reopen the schools within the first 100 days of his administration.

I think it is a foolish promise.

Not necessarily.

Despite widespread concerns, two new international studies show no consistent relationship between in-person K-12 schooling and the spread of the coronavirus. And a third study from the United States shows no elevated risk to childcare workers who stayed on the job.

Combined with anecdotal reports from a number of U.S. states where schools are open, as well as a crowdsourced dashboard of around 2,000 U.S. schools, some medical experts are saying it's time to shift the discussion from the risks of opening K-12 schools to the risks of keeping them closed.

"As a pediatrician, I am really seeing the negative impacts of these school closures on children," Dr. Danielle Dooley, a medical director at Children's National Hospital in Washington, D.C., told NPR. She ticked off mental health problems, hunger, obesity due to inactivity, missing routine medical care and the risk of child abuse — on top of the loss of education. "Going to school is really vital for children. They get their meals in school, their physical activity, their health care, their education, of course."

https://www.npr.org/2020/10/21/925794511/were-the-risks-of-reopening-schools-exaggerated

Schools are some of the safest places anyone can be during the novel coronavirus pandemic, said Joann Hoganson, health liaison between the Kent County Health Department and area K-12 schools.

Because school leaders worked closely with health officials to implement safety protocols like mask usage and social distancing, in-person learning has been shown to cause minimal transmission of COVID-19.

In Kent County, less than 2% of all school-related positive cases have been linked to exposure inside schools, Hoganson said.

“Because of the mitigation factors that are in place in schools, they’re generally much safer than other places which don’t use the mitigation factors,” she said.

https://www.mlive.com/news/2020/12/schools-have-been-touted-as-safer-than-bars-and-restaurants-during-covid-19-so-why-are-they-closing.html

The key issue is how well is the rest of the community handling Covid protocol?

If the schools are the only places where health officials' advice hold sway, then it's a "foolish promise", perhaps.

Mr. Biden will have to follow the science. Dr. Biden will remind him to do so.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2021, 12:54:55 PM »

Just popping in to give you the new POTUS' nickname

It's APB.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2021, 05:55:19 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/16/politics/joe-biden-inauguration-playlist/index.html

46 tune Inauguration Playlist, with Higher Love the theme song of the event.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2021, 10:55:16 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2021/01/politics/us-cabinet-2021-demographics/

I think the age category is badly handled, but I think most of it is interesting info. Even the age is fairly easily compared by doubling the percentage of US population in each above 35 age category.

And honestly, expecting the cabinet to reflect age percentages, especially below 36, is dumb. We want experienced hands in those positions, which for the most part is going to be people with decades of experience, which is tough to get by the time you are only 35!

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2021, 11:02:46 AM »

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2021, 03:15:51 PM »

Biden's focus needs to be completely on establishing his presidency. He should let Congress go after Trump and not say a word about it.

If the Biden Administration concentrates on solving Covid-19 and getting the economy back on track for everyone, then no one will give a shit about Trump.

Biden has the pulpit. Now he has to use it.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2021, 06:08:51 PM »

Biden's focus needs to be completely on establishing his presidency. He should let Congress go after Trump and not say a word about it.

I dont expect he'll say a word about anything

Transparency dies tomorrow

But yes, good post
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 2687