Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 2929

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 762672 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #1110 on: February 06, 2021, 03:32:56 PM »

China state media referred to the coup in Myanmar -- one of China's very few allies -- as a "major cabinet reshuffle"
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: February 06, 2021, 03:57:01 PM »

https://www.bbc.com/news/55800921 - on Palestinians and vaccination.

Do I think Israel should do it? Sure.

Did I think the US federal government should have handled the US vaccination program? Absolutely.

But, Bo? Given that we know that Netanyahu isn't and knew he wouldn't do it, then you have to look further afield at the other options.

There are two countries blockading Gaza, not just one. Egypt is the other. Are they as intransigent as Bibi is? I don't know! If they are, then they should come under fire, too. If not, then they should act.

Jordan claimed the West Bank until 1988. They have a huge percentage of the Palestinian people living in their country. Mightn't they be a more approachable country to aid in this process?

I am less convinced than you that equitable distribution of the vaccine would happen in Gaza if all that happened were delivery of it, though you may be right. But I am certain that waiting for the Israeli PM to act is unwise.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: February 06, 2021, 04:01:36 PM »

Ignorance in the USA?
Depends on your description of "ignorance".
"Dumb" is another word used.
There are YouTube videos.

Jimmy Kimmel sent reporter out to streets with map of the world...borders of countries outlined ...to give people a wand/pointer and ask them to name one country, just one.
Selective editing no doubt, with all those who could not name one country, including the US, shown.
One girl was asked, "have you been to high school?"   "Have you been to college"
Answered "yes" to both.
Then said: "Why wasn't I taught this in school?"

Why not indeed?
Maybe she hadn't selected "geography" to study., who knows.

Lastly they showed a young man aged about 14-19 who took the pointer and proceeded to name every country in South America, Central America, North America, then Greenland, Iceland, Australia, NZ, PNG,...then they stopped the tape.

I can speak and write English to a basic standard...and do maths to a basic standard...but no way I can take a car engine apart and put it back together.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 07:07:53 PM by bambu. »
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: February 06, 2021, 04:20:01 PM »

...but no way I can take a car engine apart and put it back together.

I can take one apart.

And all of that was taught in school. Every public school in the US.

Being taught =/= learning.

Learning =/= remembering.

Me? I can identify all the US states on a map (and list all of them, eventually, without one) and almost all the capitals. I can identify all but three of the South American countries, with those three having always been confused in my head, even before at least two of them changed their names - but I know which three they are and where they are on the map.

I can manage 90% of European countries and maybe half to two thirds of the African ones. I cannot do all of the former Soviet States, but most of the rest of Asia I can manage, as well.

I get in trouble with the islands, whether Caribbean, Indies, or Pacific.

OTOH, I have been to all 50 states, 4 provinces of Canada, and two states of Mexico, plus to 13 European countries (at least) and a couple of them more than once. (3 of the European countries I was in no longer exist, but in the recombination and division, I have still been in the same number of countries.) I have also been to 4 or 5 Asian countries, depending on how you count two of them, one of them twice. And I've been to Australia.

For what it's worth, I've been more than 10,000 feet high while still on the ground and more than 1,000 feet underground.

If the pandemic subsides enough for travel to be safe again, I expect to hit 2 or 3 more provinces.

So, I am not sure that I am a useful measuring stick for US citizenry.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: February 06, 2021, 06:52:15 PM »

https://www.bbc.com/news/55800921 - on Palestinians and vaccination.

Did I think the US federal government should have handled the US vaccination program? Absolutely.

It did.
We got vaccines in record time.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: February 06, 2021, 06:59:22 PM »

China state media referred to the coup in Myanmar -- one of China's very few allies -- as a "major cabinet reshuffle"

LOL

China is in negotiations with PNG to build a megacity on Australia's doorstep.
Looks like China has found another ally.
A rich person can buy friends....very easily.  People line up for free stuff.
With China though, not much seems to come free.
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

barton

« Reply #1116 on: February 06, 2021, 07:21:28 PM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/ketanji-brown-jackson-dc-appeals-court/2021/02/05/543bfeda-67f1-11eb-8468-21bc48f07fe5_story.html

Ruth Marcus on the remarkable Ketanji,  and what her future may hold if Stephen Breyer retires in the next couple years.     

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #1117 on: February 06, 2021, 07:28:14 PM »

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #1118 on: February 06, 2021, 08:09:57 PM »

Buttons of brass
Upon their chests
Men in Blue
New York's Finest
One hundred heads
they'll crack today
and they don't give a damn
What the Negroes say

New York Protest Song circa 1964

https://gothamist.com/news/nypd-probes-officer-seen-wearing-pro-trump-patches-while-duty
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: February 06, 2021, 08:20:49 PM »

Daily new cases continue to plummet. They are down to where they were on November 9th!

Isn't it amazing what a great job Biden has done?!

Okay, so I don't actually think Biden's administration has a thing to do with it. Nor do I think Trump's administration has a thing do to with it.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: February 06, 2021, 08:25:04 PM »

Daily new cases continue to plummet. They are down to where they were on November 9th!

Okay, so I don't actually think Biden's administration has a thing to do with it. Nor do I think Trump's administration has a thing do to with it.
Never let it be said the vaccines had anything to do with “ it”.
Remember when Kammie said she would trust no vaccine produced under Trump?
Oops!
There she was battling with Sandy Cortez to be first in line when the vaccines were rolled out.
LOL!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 08:27:52 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: February 06, 2021, 08:25:47 PM »

Daily deaths are down, too, but they are only down to about where they were on Jan 19 or Jan 8, with a bump to follow each of those, so wait and see is where we are at.

We are well past where the Jan 12 plummet was supposed to take place, which got amended to Jan 26, based on observed facts. We are still ~350 per day worse than the projection from IHME.

It bears considering.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: February 06, 2021, 08:30:07 PM »

Daily deaths are down, too, but they are only down to about where they were on Jan 19 or Jan 8, with a bump to follow each of those, so wait and see is where we are at.

We are well past where the Jan 12 plummet was supposed to take place, which got amended to Jan 26, based on observed facts. We are still ~350 per day worse than the projection from IHME.

It bears considering.
Joe and the dems own The Coronavirus response now.
Keep us posted Junior.

barton

« Reply #1123 on: February 06, 2021, 08:44:01 PM »

No I don't.   Because that's not what she said.   She said she would trust a credible source on the safety and efficacy of any vaccine,  and didn't view Trump (at that time,  seeking to win the upcoming election) as such a source.

Harris said that she would not trust Donald Trump’s word on the safety of any coronavirus vaccine approved for use in America before the November election.

In an interview with CNN – Harris warned of the potential for political interference by the US president over the approval of a coronavirus vaccine in order to boost his re-election chances.

A perfectly rational reason to seek expert opinion rather than take a demagogue's word.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: February 06, 2021, 09:09:21 PM »

No I don't.   Because that's not what she said.   She said she would trust a credible source on the safety and efficacy of any vaccine,  and didn't view Trump (at that time,  seeking to win the upcoming election) as such a source.

Harris said that she would not trust Donald Trump’s word on the safety of any coronavirus vaccine approved for use in America before the November election.

In an interview with CNN – Harris warned of the potential for political interference by the US president over the approval of a coronavirus vaccine in order to boost his re-election chances.

A perfectly rational reason to seek expert opinion rather than take a demagogue's word.
LOL!
Thanks for confirming.

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 2929