Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 2787

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 653739 times)

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #2100 on: February 18, 2021, 06:56:40 PM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/17/climate/texas-blackouts-disinformation.html

My state's power is 25% wind generated.   It didn't freeze up.   No blackouts.    Texas can do better,  if science and facts are leading,  rather than conservative propagandists.
The bottom line, again,is the most dependable sources are coal and nuclear , with help from wind, natural gas, and solar.

The sun beams down onto the earth 630 million joules of energy every HOUR.   That's 2000 Hiroshimas per second.   We captured 610 million joules of that energy PER YEAR.   Surely the bottom line is the future of civilization depends on harnessing the most efficient self-sustaining power source in the entire solar system.   If we want it we can do it.   You don't want to because it doesn't help your own bottom line.  You're anti-progress.

Most people are only a few pay packets away from the street.
People now employed in oil, coal, nuclear, wood-fired home heating industries etc simply cannot afford to lose those jobs without other jobs at the same salary being found for them to switch to.

Why can't these billion dollar energy companies A) pay their employees better wages and B) switch to a new source of energy and train their employees in that new technology? 

Stop being apologists and unpaid speakers for billionaire energy companies.  You know they pay the politicians and radio personalities you listen to don't you?

I know that workers need a regular pay packet.

Ignoring what I posted.  The employees would receive training and still be paid.

What, a 50 yr old coal miner would be retrained as a solar space station computer programmer?

People are still needed to install and maintain solar.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: February 18, 2021, 07:07:38 PM »

Erin Burnett just used my Marie Antoinette-Cruz analogy.

He may be a weasel and fucking shit-head, and a liitle coup douche (that's gold!) but Cruz is  a great dad!

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: February 18, 2021, 07:12:10 PM »

My state's power is 25% wind generated.   It didn't freeze up.   No blackouts.    Texas can do better,  if science and facts are leading,  rather than conservative propagandists.
The bottom line, again,is the most dependable sources are coal and nuclear , with help from wind, natural gas, and solar.

The sun beams down onto the earth 630 million joules of energy every HOUR.   That's 2000 Hiroshimas per second.   We captured 610 million joules of that energy PER YEAR.   Surely the bottom line is the future of civilization depends on harnessing the most efficient self-sustaining power source in the entire solar system.   If we want it we can do it.   You don't want to because it doesn't help your own bottom line.  You're anti-progress.

People now employed in oil, coal, nuclear, wood-fired home heating industries etc simply cannot afford to lose those jobs without other jobs at the same salary being found for them to switch to.

Why can't these billion dollar energy companies A) pay their employees better wages and B) switch to a new source of energy and train their employees in that new technology? 

Stop being apologists and unpaid speakers for billionaire energy companies.  You know they pay the politicians and radio personalities you listen to don't you?

I know that workers need a regular pay packet.

Ignoring what I posted.  The employees would receive training and still be paid.

What, a 50 yr old coal miner would be retrained as a solar space station computer programmer?

People are still needed to install and maintain solar.
Those people are not current  union guys at power plants.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: February 18, 2021, 07:16:56 PM »

Actually they are.  But there are severe drawbacks that have to be overcome.
https://www.barrons.com/articles/how-renewable-energy-can-pay-off-for-big-oil-51605632723

You're being an alarmist for the Billionaire class.  Severe drawbacks lol.
You might want to actually read the article.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: February 18, 2021, 07:26:30 PM »

Those people are not current  union guys at power plants.

I've no idea, but am curious how Red is so certain that solar workers who work in or for power plants, (public Utilities) who historically employ union workers, is so positive his blanket statement is correct. I would think as they became employed by the utilities they might have to join an existing union.

from wiki

"The Utility Workers Union of America (UWUA) is a labor union in the United States. It has a membership of 50,000 and is affiliated with the AFL-CIO. The union has over 50,000 members working in the electric, gas, steam, water, and nuclear industries across the United States. The UWUA represents utility workers in municipal, as well as publicly traded utilities. Fields include power generation (power plants), power distribution (transmission and distribution), call/service center employees, as well as natural gas and water utilities."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utility_Workers_Union_of_America#:~:text=The%20Utility%20Workers%20Union%20of,union%20in%20the%20United%20States.&text=Fields%20include%20power%20generation%20(power,natural%20gas%20and%20water%20utilities.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 07:29:00 PM by bankshot1 »

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: February 18, 2021, 07:35:42 PM »

Unions can reorganize as labor demands shift. There will be a massive infrastructure update, a generation long project, and there will be millions of new Union jobs arising from it.

It’s a popular Democratic project in a Democratic country and there is nothing reasonable enough or powerful enough to get it off track now.

The unions Red pretends to defend are licking their chops at the potential work they will get to do.

Red and his loser coal fiends can go suck rocks and freeze their ass off next to a frozen gas pipeline somewhere.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: February 18, 2021, 07:47:20 PM »

That's too bad

I respect her work
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: February 18, 2021, 07:53:37 PM »

That's too bad

I respect her work

heh

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: February 18, 2021, 08:08:47 PM »

That's too bad

I respect her work

I just watched lieing Ted's various and contradictory answers about his Cancun getaway.

Erin and I were wrong.

We owe apologies to Marie Antoinette, she was a far nicer person than Ted,

And certainly more far honest.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #2109 on: February 18, 2021, 08:13:57 PM »

What about a "privilege walk" for all White House staff?
Could be arriving soon.

Daily Telegraph editorial: Governor-General’s ‘privilege walk’ is woke madness

Woke madness has now reached one of the highest ­offices in Australia.

As The Daily Telegraph reports, the Governor-General’s staff will soon embark on what is known as a “privilege walk”.

If you have never heard of such a thing, consider yourself fortunate. During your average privilege walk, participants go through various exercises to identify their levels of privilege and entitlement.

For example, they may be asked to take a step forward if they are right-handed, if English is their first language or if they can easily buy bandages that match their skin tone.

But they must take a step back if they have ever had to primarily rely on public transport.

In the case of staff working for the Governor-General, they should be able to complete the privilege walk in record time.

That is because they very much are privileged, straight off the bat. They are privileged to work in that office. They are profoundly privileged to represent the Australian people.
And they should be extre­mely proud of doing so.

Instead, however, they will endure a form of ritual shaming.

You should do the exercise. I have. It is a great way of helping you recognize how advantages in life put you ahead of the race from the outset. There is no shame or shaming involved, but recognition. It helps to understand the equity needs of marginalized communities. A worthy exercise for your public servants.

Of course, in your case, it would involve you looking backwards and.asking yourself, "If I started so far ahead why am I so far behind?" And then you would crawl back into your mother's basement, turn on your number 2 of a No. 1 radio host and console yourself with the thought that it is someone else's fault.

LOL
"Always blame the other guy" -   senior cop friend (deceased).
"Always have an excuse" - bambu

When I left high school...'everyone' in the country was white. ("The White Australia policy"). Aboriginal people mostly lived outside of cities and towns (the law).
No African gangs.
No Middle Eastern organised crime gangs.
No Asian triad organised crime gangs.

Plenty of White bullies and harassers in workplaces though.
Being a nice, polite, well-mannered, skinny, naive, White, not martial arts trained Christian boy...I started well behind, a sitting duck.
Used, abused, bullied, harassed, mocked by White males and later White women in the workplace, I feel I well and truly earned whatever I have today.
No "privilege walk" for me.

You still had a seat at the best table.  How much food you grabbed - that's all up to you.  But you were seated at the table.  Doesn't have to be the best seat.  You had every opportunity to improve your seating, because you had a seat to begin with.

Speaking of seats at tables:
Team bambu was seated at the "others" table at one all  White folks office Christmas party.
The seating arrangements discovered by accident in a file on the desk of the Manager's secretary.
3 tables:
"First class citizens".
"Second class citizens"
"Others".
We "rejects" had a great night,  lol

(Deceased) Elba forum member Weezo once told me that I could no longer sit at the table but could only sit under the table (and have the 'crumbs'.) lol

So, because I wasn't born on a garbage dump in The Philippines, destined to live my entire life there...or wasn't born into grinding poverty in India etc...I must now do a walk of shame to find enlightenment.
Not in this lifetime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAAKPJEq1Ew

Yeah. I watched 'Hee Haw' back in the day.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: February 18, 2021, 08:15:09 PM »

That's too bad

I respect her work

I just watched lieing Ted's various and contradictory answers about his Cancun getaway.

Erin and I were wrong.

Ted will have to learn to live with your disappointment.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

barton

« Reply #2111 on: February 18, 2021, 08:21:39 PM »

The inane trolling here today has an effect not unlike that of hearing  Vogon poetry.

The widely circulated pic of frozen windmills in Texas,  BTW, was taken in...Sweden.  Seven years ago.   And then the social media lies proliferated from there.   What's amusing is how no one reads the posted factual articles (like mine from the NYT), and just keeps repeating the lies.   Truly it is a cult.   

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: February 18, 2021, 08:23:46 PM »

That's too bad

I respect her work

Erin and I were wrong.

Ted will have to learn to live with your disappointment.

I'm sure he will.

But the people of Texas, who forgave him for his role in a coup, may be a little more demanding of Sen Cruz and hold him accountable for his abandoning his constituents in their time of need and as they were dieing.

Ted's battle cry of "Remember the Alamo and the SPF 30-sunscreen" may fall on very cold ears. 

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #2113 on: February 18, 2021, 08:28:02 PM »

How log are we going to ask ourselves, "Is this who we are? Is this America?" before we admit, "Yes, it is."

https://www.facebook.com/larrybellinger/posts/10224811002166389?notif_id=1613600950389152&notif_t=feedback_reaction_generic&ref=notif

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

barton

« Reply #2114 on: February 18, 2021, 08:32:22 PM »

Ted's battle cry of "Remember the Alamo and the SPF 30-sunscreen" may fall on very cold ears.

Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 2787