Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 2793

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 655053 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #2130 on: February 19, 2021, 12:47:15 AM »

An update to national voting rights standards is well worth abolishing the filibuster for as republican ratdogs are getting more and more evidence that they can’t win fair elections even at state and local levels as they grow uglier, more quarrelsome, and less popular by the day.

States are monkeying with their systems, growing the support for national reform and further damning republicans so their objections and lies can be obliterated and ignored in enacting national legislation to supersede their state level fuckery with voter rights. 

Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: February 19, 2021, 02:09:57 AM »

Will the republicans still run Cruz in 2024?

It would sure help flip Texas to the blue column.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: February 19, 2021, 04:40:01 AM »

ALSO quite racist of you to say Filipinos are born of garbage dumps and Indians of poverty.  What about Indian and Filipino children born in Australia in the same hospitals as you?  Are they also not worth your time to examine?

No need to examine, I know all about them...they live in exactly the same system I do...same everything.
No need for a privilege walk, nothing is any great mystery.

Google:

Google:  White privilege

First result:  White privilege, or white skin privilege, is the societal privilege that benefits white people over non-white people in some societies,
particularly if they are otherwise under the same social, political, or economic circumstances.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: February 19, 2021, 04:42:42 AM »

Why can't these billion dollar energy companies A) pay their employees better wages and B) switch to a new source of energy and train their employees in that new technology? 

Actually they are.  But there are severe drawbacks that have to be overcome.
https://www.barrons.com/articles/how-renewable-energy-can-pay-off-for-big-oil-51605632723

You're being an alarmist for the Billionaire class.  Severe drawbacks lol.
You might want to actually read the article.

Short term thinking by wealthy folks who don't want to see near-term losses of their dividends.
Who would?

Literally anyone who gives a shit about the rest of the world.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: February 19, 2021, 07:42:59 AM »

What about a "privilege walk" for all White House staff?
Could be arriving soon.

Daily Telegraph editorial: Governor-General’s ‘privilege walk’ is woke madness

Woke madness has now reached one of the highest ­offices in Australia.

As The Daily Telegraph reports, the Governor-General’s staff will soon embark on what is known as a “privilege walk”.

If you have never heard of such a thing, consider yourself fortunate. During your average privilege walk, participants go through various exercises to identify their levels of privilege and entitlement.

For example, they may be asked to take a step forward if they are right-handed, if English is their first language or if they can easily buy bandages that match their skin tone.

But they must take a step back if they have ever had to primarily rely on public transport.

In the case of staff working for the Governor-General, they should be able to complete the privilege walk in record time.

That is because they very much are privileged, straight off the bat. They are privileged to work in that office. They are profoundly privileged to represent the Australian people.
And they should be extre­mely proud of doing so.

Instead, however, they will endure a form of ritual shaming.

You should do the exercise. I have. It is a great way of helping you recognize how advantages in life put you ahead of the race from the outset. There is no shame or shaming involved, but recognition. It helps to understand the equity needs of marginalized communities. A worthy exercise for your public servants.

Of course, in your case, it would involve you looking backwards and.asking yourself, "If I started so far ahead why am I so far behind?" And then you would crawl back into your mother's basement, turn on your number 2 of a No. 1 radio host and console yourself with the thought that it is someone else's fault.

LOL
"Always blame the other guy" -   senior cop friend (deceased).
"Always have an excuse" - bambu

When I left high school...'everyone' in the country was white. ("The White Australia policy"). Aboriginal people mostly lived outside of cities and towns (the law).
No African gangs.
No Middle Eastern organised crime gangs.
No Asian triad organised crime gangs.

Plenty of White bullies and harassers in workplaces though.
Being a nice, polite, well-mannered, skinny, naive, White, not martial arts trained Christian boy...I started well behind, a sitting duck.
Used, abused, bullied, harassed, mocked by White males and later White women in the workplace, I feel I well and truly earned whatever I have today.
No "privilege walk" for me.

You still had a seat at the best table.  How much food you grabbed - that's all up to you.  But you were seated at the table.  Doesn't have to be the best seat.  You had every opportunity to improve your seating, because you had a seat to begin with.

Speaking of seats at tables:
Team bambu was seated at the "others" table at one all  White folks office Christmas party.
The seating arrangements discovered by accident in a file on the desk of the Manager's secretary.
3 tables:
"First class citizens".
"Second class citizens"
"Others".
We "rejects" had a great night,  lol

(Deceased) Elba forum member Weezo once told me that I could no longer sit at the table but could only sit under the table (and have the 'crumbs'.) lol

So, because I wasn't born on a garbage dump in The Philippines, destined to live my entire life there...or wasn't born into grinding poverty in India etc...I must now do a walk of shame to find enlightenment.
Not in this lifetime.

So.. YOU see it as shame.  I thought you said it was THEM

The fact that you see it as shame speaks volumes.

LOL
According to them.

ALSO quite racist of you to say Filipinos are born of garbage dumps and Indians of poverty.  What about Indian and Filipino children born in Australia in the same hospitals as you?  Are they also not worth your time to examine?

No need to examine, I know all about them...they live in exactly the same system I do...same everything.
No need for a privilege walk, nothing is any great mystery.

Nothing I have ever read screams the need for a privilege walk like that comment.
"Not that others should have relief while you are burdened, but that as a matter of equality your abundance at the present time should supply their needs, so that their abundance may also supply your needs, that there may be equality."

2 Corinthians 8:13-14

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: February 19, 2021, 08:08:56 AM »

So uncle Joe says black lives matter but illegal aliens more so. Fighting the pandemic and improving the economy is very important but amnesty and open borders takes priority. Why? If only the Donald was not so coocoo in general. Lets see if border state dems remain opposed to the liberal elite fringe onslaught.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: February 19, 2021, 08:28:36 AM »

Another bit from the 'Way Back' machine.

The more things change...

https://exjournalistsunite.wordpress.com/2017/08/16/americas-original-sin/

ZZZZZZZZZZZ....

You need a new act. When you keep telling people how much they hate you, they will.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: February 19, 2021, 08:37:40 AM »

Why can't these billion dollar energy companies A) pay their employees better wages and B) switch to a new source of energy and train their employees in that new technology? 

Actually they are.  But there are severe drawbacks that have to be overcome.
https://www.barrons.com/articles/how-renewable-energy-can-pay-off-for-big-oil-51605632723

You're being an alarmist for the Billionaire class.  Severe drawbacks lol.
You might want to actually read the article.

Short term thinking by wealthy folks who don't want to see near-term losses of their dividends.
Who would?

Literally anyone who gives a shit about the rest of the world.

ST losses are acceptable, when there are LT gains to be had. Shifting capital to newer renewable sources of energy could provide the kind of growth that investors like.

But no amount of investment in the infrastructure and distribution of energy is without risk---financial or otherwise.

It takes a certain amount of courage to undertake those changes, and to make those investments.

What RED is clearly saying is that he doesn't have courage.

That's all.

And not surprising. Conservatives are not by nature risk-takers. They want guarantees, which is why they often work so hard to game the system; be that attempting to restrict voting rights, cripple the government, or fuel the most inequitable version of American capitalism.

So, he's aligned with his stated philosophy of "me-first, and screw you".

It's a fool's errand to expect him to change.

Don't bother engaging him.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 08:43:20 AM by UNO »
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: February 19, 2021, 08:39:19 AM »

Souncle Joe says black lives matter but illegal aliens more so.

By "uncle Joe", you must mean your "uncle Joe", as Biden has said no such thing.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: February 19, 2021, 08:46:48 AM »

Bloomberg News:

The U.S. vaccine supply is about to get a whole lot bigger.

Currently, the U.S. is administering 1.6 million doses a day, constrained by the current supply of about 10 million to 15 million doses a week. But manufacturers and U.S. officials have accelerated their production timelines and signaled that the spigots are about to open. That will provide hundreds of millions of doses to match the growing capacity to immunize people at pharmacies and mass-vaccination sites.

“What we are going to see is every week a continued ramp,” says Andy Slavitt, White House senior adviser for Covid response. By the end of March, he says, there should be 200 million doses available for distribution to states — about 90 million more than the current total, according to U.S. figures.

A review of drugmakers’ public statements and their supply deals suggests that the number of vaccines delivered should rise to almost 20 million a week in March, more than 25 million a week in April and May, and over 30 million a week June. By summer, it would be enough to give 4.5 million shots a day.

Pfizer and Moderna have promised to deliver more than 500 million additional doses by the end of July, and Johnson & Johnson is expected to deliver 100 million doses of its one-shot vaccine by the end of June. Taken together, that’s enough to vaccinate 400 million people — more than is needed to cover all of the U.S. — before the end of July.

Of course, drugmakers have missed some previous projections following scientific setbacks and manufacturing failures. To mitigate those risks, the U.S. reached agreements to buy at least 1.21 billion doses, far more than what’s needed to cover all Americans.

And even if the promised doses are delivered, the U.S. would still face a daunting logistical challenge of administering them. Perhaps for that reason, President Joe Biden’s administration has remained conservative in its own projections.

But states and cities have made clear they're prepared to handle more doses. Michigan’s top health official said early this month that the state could perform 80,000 vaccinations a day — at least 30,000 more than its recent daily average. In California, officials are opening sites like the San Francisco 49ers football stadium, where they will be able to perform 15,000 doses a day.

New York Mayor Bill de Blasio said the city had delayed opening several mass-vaccination sites while waiting for doses.

“We have the infrastructure in place to deliver half a million doses per week. All that’s missing is the supply to get it done,” de Blasio said.

Based on these latest projections, that's about to change.--Drew Armstrong and Tom Randall

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: February 19, 2021, 09:05:39 AM »

The strange priorities of some Texans isn't restricted to just Ted the Cruiser: A cheerleading competition in Texas has been reportedly scheduled to take place over the weekend in a convention centre, prompting outrage among residents as it might end up displacing the people who have taken shelter in the venue to escape the winter storm.

https://news.yahoo.com/texas-accused-moving-freezing-residents-102406786.html

Lean to the left, lean to the right,
Let those poor folks freeze all night!

Rah! Rah! Rah!

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: February 19, 2021, 09:16:18 AM »

GOP infighting and its consequences.

There was only so long that the Kentucky Republican — and the establishment wing of the party he represents — could try to ride the tiger that is Trump.

These are two very different men, but the infighting represents something far broader than just the two of them. It is emblematic of the splintering between rank-and-file Republicans and has roots much further back than Trump's political rise...

...But something else is happening within the party at both ends of the spectrum.

In higher-than-normal numbers, tens of thousands of formerly registered Republicans across the country have dropped the party label since Jan. 6. And some — a clear minority of anti-Trump Republicans — are even contemplating forming a third party.

"I've had a number of political people reach out — leaders and grassroots people reaching out," said Evan McMullin, a former policy director for the House Republican Conference who ran for president in 2016 as an independent. He cohosted a call of more than 120 disaffected Republicans interested in the third-party idea earlier this month. "They've had enough and are ready to move on, ready for change."

McMullin said they are mostly "former Trump supporters, who appreciated the policies and the judges, but the insurrection was too much and believe it's time for the Republican Party to move on."

Largely because of Republicans, record numbers of Americans are now calling themselves independents and saying a third party is needed.

In September, just 40% of Republicans said they thought a third party was necessary. That has now jumped to 63%, according to Gallup.

But this increase is mostly because of Trump supporters, not people who are anti-Trump, said Jeff Jones, a senior editor at Gallup.

"It's more of a pro-Trump group that would want to break away from the GOP," Jones said, adding of the GOP infighting..

https://www.npr.org/2021/02/19/969139850/the-republican-rift-goes-far-deeper-than-just-trump-and-mcconnell

Can you say, "Bull Moose"?

One additional quote from that piece:In recent years, whites without college degrees have gravitated toward the Republican Party, while voters with degrees — both whites and demographically growing nonwhites in the suburbs — have moved to Democrats.

This bolsters my theory that if you have any real education, you'd wisely choose to be a Democrat.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: February 19, 2021, 09:19:38 AM »

Florida. The state that is a gift to comedians: Two women were caught trying to get second doses of the Covid-19 vaccine by dressing up as "grannies," the Director of the Florida Department of Health in Orange County said Thursday.

The women came to the vaccination site wearing bonnets, gloves, and glasses in an attempt to receive their vaccines, Dr. Raul Pino said during a press conference. According to the sheriff's office, the women were 44 and 34.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/19/us/florida-women-dressing-up-coronavirus-vaccine/index.html

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: February 19, 2021, 09:23:00 AM »

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: February 19, 2021, 09:25:23 AM »

Gangsta Warfare: A former fed who brought down one Teflon Don is coming for Trump.

Manhattan District Attorney Cy Vance recently hired a mob-busting ex-prosecutor to help him investigate former President Donald Trump over a range of alleged financial fraud — and the new member of the team has already interviewed a key player in the high-profile probe, according to people familiar with the matter.

Mark Pomerantz, a veteran white-collar attorney who prosecuted former Gambino crime family boss John “Junior” Gotti and other mobsters in the 1990s, was tapped by Vance as a special assistant district attorney on Feb. 3, said Danny Frost, a spokesman for the DA.

Frost declined to comment on specifics about Pomerantz’s role, but a source close to Vance’s office said he was hired specifically for the Trump inquiry.

Another source told the Daily News that Pomerantz interviewed Michael Cohen, Trump’s former personal attorney, on Thursday.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/ny-gotti-prosecutor-manhattan-da-trump-probe-20210219-3fom2mx7g5bwdayit5dxg4hqna-story.html

Heh
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 2793