Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 2929

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 764871 times)

bankshot1

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #3315 on: March 10, 2021, 10:15:22 AM »

Uno is drunk, insecure, and unemployable according to his own assessment. Interesting. I will put it in the case notes.

Oh, look. It's Jiminy Cricket!

The cockroach speaks.

Bart- Those little critters are adaptive.

And from what I understand can thrive in the worst conditions.

Not sure if they could  hack it here, though.

btw, Is it multilingual?

barton

« Reply #3316 on: March 10, 2021, 10:16:16 AM »

I take Larry's "Achtung" to be an ironic usage.   Others here have used it.   

"Grammar Nazi" is less clever,  because it sorta trivializes what the Nazi Party was about.  But hey, it's all Godwin's Law playing out, and that usually does mean trivializing the actual Nazis in some manner.   

The clever invective (like Lime's "antipodal asshole" or the many Facilitatorisms) is an art form,  and I enjoy it as such.   

barton

« Reply #3317 on: March 10, 2021, 10:17:20 AM »

btw, Is it multilingual?

Cunningly lingual. 

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #3318 on: March 10, 2021, 10:23:27 AM »

btw, Is it multilingual?

Cunningly lingual.

A delighful language.

In my more active and younger and coupled days that was a tongue I enjoyed speaking almost daily.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3319 on: March 10, 2021, 10:50:09 AM »

COVID-19 has helped to point this out, but it is unclear that it has pointed it out sufficiently to the people who most need to be convinced.

And... despite my agreeing with this, the "education" "system" still needs to be overhauled to a frightening degree.

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3320 on: March 10, 2021, 11:20:59 AM »

« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 02:14:42 PM by UNO »
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #3321 on: March 10, 2021, 11:28:06 AM »

COVID-19 has helped to point this out, but it is unclear that it has pointed it out sufficiently to the people who most need to be convinced.

And... despite my agreeing with this, the "education" "system" still needs to be overhauled to a frightening degree.

In an aging America, (see the link-chart below) where the median age in the US increased from 29 in 1960 to 38 in 2019, (ie we're having less kids) what are the chances communities of generally aging Americans will increase their taxes to support higher teacher income? Isn't that the crux of the issue?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/241494/median-age-of-the-us-population/

(interesting drop in age from 1960 to 1970, despite a war in Viet Nam keeping couples aprt, and popularity of the pill and other birth control methods, lotta babies in the 60s)

Resource allocation rears its head once again.

Should we as a country shift our budget priorities and spend more on this part of our infrastucture (and I think that we can argue that educating the next generation is as integral part of our infrastructure as roads, bridges, internet connections etc) , and less on (fill-in the blank, space force, defense, farm subs, other entitlements, whatever).

tough fight for teachers.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 11:29:41 AM by bankshot1 »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #3322 on: March 10, 2021, 12:08:43 PM »

I take Larry's "Achtung" to be an ironic usage.   Others here have used it.   

"Grammar Nazi" is less clever,  because it sorta trivializes what the Nazi Party was about.  But hey, it's all Godwin's Law playing out, and that usually does mean trivializing the actual Nazis in some manner.   

The clever invective (like Lime's "antipodal asshole" or the many Facilitatorisms) is an art form,  and I enjoy it as such.

"No Grammar for YOU!"
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #3323 on: March 10, 2021, 12:17:13 PM »

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Oi!

• View Profile
« Reply #3324 on: March 10, 2021, 12:44:18 PM »

A lot of teachers aren't actually Master's level, and do make more than 35K.  My niece teaches (with a BA, and a teaching certificate) and likes to point out that, though her city's Catholic schools don't pay well (most Catholic schools pay worse than public schools), she has three months vacation a year and does something she really loves.  I think those factors play into why so many teachers keep teaching. 

Im on the pavement

Thinking about the government

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #3325 on: March 10, 2021, 01:32:55 PM »

We need more teachers, and fewer prison guards. And we need to have more colleges, and fewer prisons.

And now with Biden and less focus on border security and with the end of the money being spent on the border wall, and with fewer ICE agents, we can divert all of that money to our schools and to our teachers. 

We need to raise better children, and the importance of teachers is paramount. 

The average Public School Teacher salary in the United States is $58,975 as of February 26, 2021.

https://www.salary.com/research/salary/benchmark/public-school-teacher-salary

Teachers are heroes.

Salute,

Tony V.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3326 on: March 10, 2021, 01:49:30 PM »

This is an example of the Biden Administration's needing to step up, given the circumstances they invited:
https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/10/politics/migrant-children-border-patrol/index.html
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3327 on: March 10, 2021, 02:07:51 PM »

http://www.emptywheel.net/2021/03/10/arrest-first-learn-about-right-wing-terrorism-later/

This is creating a whole lot of damning evidence to sort through once we have an Attorney General on the job.

Don’t let the trumpy congresscritters of the hook. Their PACs are all funding more terrorist activities by themselves and their supporters.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 02:09:45 PM by facilitatorn »
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3328 on: March 10, 2021, 02:08:27 PM »

What is the average US secondary school teacher bringing down?
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3329 on: March 10, 2021, 02:10:12 PM »

35k?

Projected out to 20 years and not even including pension what is the haul?
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 2929