Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 2929

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 761424 times)

barton

Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #4425 on: March 27, 2021, 10:34:03 AM »

Might be interesting to track down this 1987 HBO film and compare with the current Chicago 7 one on Netflix...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspiracy:_The_Trial_of_the_Chicago_8

In any case,  the current one...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Trial_of_the_Chicago_7

...has some good performances and you may find it resonates strongly with the present day.   A case that also dealt with what constitutes incitement of a riot and what are just impassioned words in a peaceful protest.   I don't think Sacha Baron Cohen quite nailed the Bahston accent though. 

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #4426 on: March 27, 2021, 10:55:46 AM »

Might be interesting to track down this 1987 HBO film and compare with the current Chicago 7 one on Netflix...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspiracy:_The_Trial_of_the_Chicago_8

In any case,  the current one...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Trial_of_the_Chicago_7

...has some good performances and you may find it resonates strongly with the present day.   A case that also dealt with what constitutes incitement of a riot and what are just impassioned words in a peaceful protest.   I don't think Sacha Baron Cohen quite nailed the Bahston accent though.

It wasn't quite yesterday, but I remember a beautiful spring day in April 1970, sitting on Boston Commons, with about 75,000 Viet Nam war protestors, when Abbie Hoffman spoke to the crowd. He pointed towards a large office building that overlooked the throng, and Abbie shouted, "John Hancock was a fucking revolutionary. He wasn't no goddamn insurance salesman."

It was a great line and perfectly delivered.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #4428 on: March 27, 2021, 03:08:37 PM »

Senate Republicans who visited the U.S.-Mexico border on Friday demanded that the Biden administration restore a Trump-era policy that requires migrants who cross the frontier to go back to Mexico to file for asylum and wait there while their claims are filed

They can demand it until they are blue in the face, but they have no leg to stand on.

The Trump administration and CPB under Trump violated the Constitution, US treaties, and international law on asylum seekers so many times in so many ways as to be absurd and those self-same GOP senators stood by as Trump did it.

So did you.

Some folks went from deplorable to despicable in only four short years.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #4429 on: March 27, 2021, 04:08:44 PM »

As areas such as Detroit put the new immigrants to work, they can lay cobblestones, and they can paint, and they can plant trees and plants, etc, and they can do outdoor landscaping, etc.

In many poor nations such as Colombia they paint everything bright cheerful colors, blue, and yellow, and bright white, etc, and they have plants all over, etc. Our poor neighborhoods can do the same thing, the immigrants can go in and they can paint our poor neighborhoods bright cheerful colors, etc, as they come to America.

Cobblestone streets and buildings painted in bright cheerful colors, and plants all over, etc, that would be great.

Salute,

Tony V.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #4430 on: March 27, 2021, 07:30:04 PM »

I deeply respect the many corresponding layers in your awareness, concern, and imaginative solutions to issues of individual and collective mental health and well being.

You are right it feels great to be in places like that that hen they’re running well. It’s both wonderful and hard to put a price on.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #4431 on: March 27, 2021, 07:34:36 PM »

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #4432 on: March 27, 2021, 10:27:58 PM »

Joe Manchin on democrat pressure over his stand to preserve the Filibuster
Excerpted from the New York Times

Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV) said it would help him “more than anything” if the Democrat Party campaigned against him in West Virginia, pressuring him to do away with the filibuster.
“What are they going to do, they going to go into West Virginia and campaign against me? Please, that would help me more than anything,” Manchin told the New York Times.

Manchin has also seemed to relish his linchpin position of determining the filibuster’s fate, saying to Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY), “I know one thing, Chuck, you wouldn’t have this problem at all if I wasn’t here.”.

Manchin’s response to his party’s ratcheted up pressure to end the Senate precedent was a request for the Democrat Party to compromise with Republicans on legislation.
“Why don’t you ask people when was the last time they took time to talk to some of the people on this side? Try to convince them, or work with them. Have you had dinner with them?” Manchin asked. “Have you had a lunch with them? Have you had a cup of coffee with them? Try something.”

Refreshing thoughts.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 10:31:23 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #4433 on: March 28, 2021, 02:17:07 AM »

Kid is our Ted Cruz.

Red is our Ron Johnson.

Bambu is our Tubberville, bless his heart.

Tommy Tuberville?
He seems like a nice man, as well as a good coach.

When you started regretting the giant L you tattooed on your forehead, I don’t think you did yourself any favors by painting it over in the most garish red. We still see you. It’s still as easy to understand and impossible to look past.

I don't do tattoos....of any kind.
If I did paint an L on my forehead it would stand for Lovable. :)
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #4434 on: March 28, 2021, 05:05:59 AM »

http://www.salon.com/2021/03/27/americas-gun-madness-how-guns-went-from-tools-to-ideology-to-identity/

A gun is used up to 2 million times a year in America to protect armed Americans from being harmed.
Only 2% of those involved a gun's being fired.
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4435 on: March 28, 2021, 06:33:00 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/27/politics/mick-mulvaney-trump-january-6-riot/index.html

Mulvaney objected to the Trump lies about the Jan 6 riots...

But he'd still vote for the man if he were the nominee in 2024.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #4436 on: March 28, 2021, 10:56:04 AM »

It's always good to have a "gun cocked and ready to fire".  You know in Australia you can't defend yourself if somebody crosses into your lane.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/545244-pennsylvania-mother-of-6-shot-in-north-carolina-road-rage
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #4437 on: March 28, 2021, 11:50:15 AM »

Joe Manchin on democrat pressure over his stand to preserve the Filibuster
Excerpted from the New York Times

Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV) said it would help him “more than anything” if the Democrat Party campaigned against him in West Virginia, pressuring him to do away with the filibuster.
“What are they going to do, they going to go into West Virginia and campaign against me? Please, that would help me more than anything,” Manchin told the New York Times.

Manchin has also seemed to relish his linchpin position of determining the filibuster’s fate, saying to Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY), “I know one thing, Chuck, you wouldn’t have this problem at all if I wasn’t here.”.

Manchin’s response to his party’s ratcheted up pressure to end the Senate precedent was a request for the Democrat Party to compromise with Republicans on legislation.
“Why don’t you ask people when was the last time they took time to talk to some of the people on this side? Try to convince them, or work with them. Have you had dinner with them?” Manchin asked. “Have you had a lunch with them? Have you had a cup of coffee with them? Try something.”

Refreshing thoughts.

LOL
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

barton

« Reply #4438 on: March 28, 2021, 11:56:29 AM »

http://www.salon.com/2021/03/27/americas-gun-madness-how-guns-went-from-tools-to-ideology-to-identity/

A gun is used up to 2 million times a year in America to protect armed Americans from being harmed.

Source, please.   And how was data obtained that the gun prevented harm?   What type of harm,  to person or property?   

How many were shot by someone who feared harm in a situation where there was no real threat?   

Unsourced factoids without CONTEXT are meaningless.

Also:

How would background checks,  required user training,  and elimination of assault weapons ownership by civilians...how would that be detrimental to the use of a gun for protection?   Wouldn't those measures increase protection...from crazies and untrained fools with guns?   I could still own my rifle,  because I know how to store and operate a gun,  and because it's not an assault style weapon.   Did you actually read the article - the author describes how the NRA used to SUPPORT that kind of sensible gun ownership and training.   That's the point.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #4439 on: March 28, 2021, 12:57:33 PM »

Source, please.   And how was data obtained that the gun prevented harm?   What type of harm,  to person or property?   

How many were shot by someone who feared harm in a situation where there was no real threat?   

Unsourced factoids without CONTEXT are meaningless.

Also:

How would background checks,  required user training,  and elimination of assault weapons ownership by civilians...how would that be detrimental to the use of a gun for protection?   Wouldn't those measures increase protection...from crazies and untrained fools with guns?   I could still own my rifle,  because I know how to store and operate a gun,  and because it's not an assault style weapon.   Did you actually read the article - the author describes how the NRA used to SUPPORT that kind of sensible gun ownership and training.   That's the point.
I believe that’s from John Lott’s gun research. While much of Lott’s study was called into question, Mary Rosh accepted it all.
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 2929