Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 330 331 [332] 333 334 ... 2687

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 493259 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #4965 on: April 07, 2021, 09:20:23 PM »

“We are Americans. We don’t just fix for today we build for tomorrow.”

Joe Biden on infrastructure.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4966 on: April 07, 2021, 10:52:15 PM »

https://news.gallup.com/poll/343976/quarterly-gap-party-affiliation-largest-2012.aspx

49% identify as Democratic or Democratic-leaning.

40% identify as Republican or GOP-leaning.

Biggest gap Gallup has seen since 2012.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 12:48:59 AM by josh »
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4967 on: April 07, 2021, 11:01:59 PM »

Good to see you, DeeJ!

Thanks for the toons,  DJ.

Thanks Barton!

Late to the party, but (a) thanks for the gallery of art, (b) cool stuff, and (c) good to see you!
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #4969 on: April 07, 2021, 11:32:50 PM »

https://news.gallup.com/poll/343976/quarterly-gap-party-affiliation-largest-2012.aspx

Yeah but what does Rasmussen say?

heh
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 12:48:31 AM by josh »
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4970 on: April 08, 2021, 01:15:26 AM »

Opinion by
Alexandra Petri
Columnist
April 5, 2021 at 1:17 p.m. EDT
WaPo

There are several details of the Matt Gaetz story that keep sticking in my head, but the one that sticks in it most is the report that the Florida Republican used to wander around and show his colleagues nude photos of people he had slept with. There’s a kind of grim weirdness to the idea of these interactions (which Gaetz denies) — a very “I Read On eHow.com That Men Bond Over Conquests” bewilderment. The callousness and the violation involved are enough of a sock to the gut. But the fact that this was allegedly known about him is what keeps getting to me. The fact that this, or something in this neighborhood of bad, occasioned senior staff from then-House Speaker Paul D. Ryan’s (R-Wis.) office to have a talk with Gaetz about professional behavior.

Over all of this I keep hearing the uncomfortable laughter of Billy Bush. I keep coming back to the fact that it takes two to make a locker room.

I keep coming back to the detail in CNN’s report that this wasn’t something Matt Gaetz did a single time, but repeatedly. Because if it happened more than once — if it happened twice, even — that is because the first time went better than it should have.

To me, this is something you do, ideally, zero times. You never experience the impulse to do it, and you lead a pleasant life. You travel. You eat lunchmeat sandwiches. Maybe you do a marathon, or climb something. You lead a blithe existence for many decades, you die in your bed in your mid-nineties surrounded by your cherished relatives, and in all that time, you never walk up to a colleague on the floor of the House of Representatives and out of nowhere present him with a nude photograph of someone you claim to have had sex with.

But if you can’t do it zero times, then ideally it happens only once. It happens only once, because the moment you do it, the person you show it to responds the way a person should respond. You produce your photograph to your colleague, and your colleague looks at you and says, “Never show that to anyone, ever again. Go home and rethink your life. I do not feel closer to you. If anything, I want to have you removed forcibly from my presence by strong gentlemen whose biceps are tattooed with ‘MOM.’ The fact that you thought this would make us closer makes me question every decision in my life that has led me to this point. Leave now and never come back.”

But we can probably suppose that this is not what happened, because life is regrettably unstingy with moments like this, when a small awkward “no” seems too costly. Perhaps the person to whom this was shown emitted a sort of uncomfortable, nervous laugh, and this was viewed as acceptance enough. Or worse, he leered at it, encouraged it. Or, still worse (a scenario alleged to have existed during Gaetz’s time in the Florida state House), he joined a fun little club with Gaetz and others to assign themselves conquest points.

The moments when people make up their secret minds about what is normal and what is acceptable are never big. They are always in private, when no one can see that you have failed the test, when all you were doing was trying to avoid any discomfort, be cool, play along. But there is a price. The price is that the Matt Gaetzes out there will leave the interaction thinking they have understood the world correctly. That what they are doing is working. That this is how the world is. But it is the accumulation of these little assents that make the world this way.

So I am not writing this for Matt Gaetz. I am talking to the person who was on the receiving end. The person who was presented with this behavior and had a choice of how to respond. I am talking to the person without whose chuckle or back-slap this situation would, perhaps, have been just a little less bad.

This is a plea for those small awkward no’s. The moment will inevitably come for you to offer one. And when I think of how much difference could be made by just one person, one guy in a locker room, or around a campfire, or even on the floor of Congress, saying, uncomfortably, “What?” or “Why would you show someone that?” — sometimes I want to chew glass. It is a small favor to ask. But it could reshape this whole place, if it happened enough.

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #4971 on: April 08, 2021, 03:11:58 AM »

---The White House announced Tuesday it was funding "limited" border wall construction after Biden had issued an early executive order pausing work on former President Trump’s key policy platform.---

Open borders and amnesty are failed policies from the 19th century that do not work in the present. Uncle Joe was wise enough to do an about face after looking at the humanitarian crisis it caused. 
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4972 on: April 08, 2021, 04:17:42 AM »

---The White House announced Tuesday it was funding "limited" border wall construction after Biden had issued an early executive order pausing work on former President Trump’s key policy platform.---

Open borders and amnesty are failed policies from the 19th century that do not work in the present. Uncle Joe was wise enough to do an about face after looking at the humanitarian crisis it caused.

If that gets Joe your vote for the re-elect, I’m perfectly happy with you going around believing that.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #4973 on: April 08, 2021, 04:23:11 AM »

Compulsory voting...forcing people to vote [having identified them at registration]...should be a human rights violation.
Go woke, go broke.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #4974 on: April 08, 2021, 05:10:47 AM »

“We are Americans. We don’t just fix for today we build for tomorrow.”

Joe Biden on infrastructure.

According to a segment on SkyNews just now Joe Inc will be indeed be constructing...filling up the holes in Trump's wall.
Go woke, go broke.

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #4975 on: April 08, 2021, 08:52:07 AM »

If that gets Joe your vote for the re-elect, I’m perfectly happy with you going around believing that.

He's done a great job with favorable ratings except for immigration. That is until the VA hits the fan. The big thing is getting vaccines out and starting an economic recovery. Having tens of millions of extra mouths to feed will not help. He seems to be a very sensitive pragmatist. Not delusional and unyielding, as someone we once all knew.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #4976 on: April 08, 2021, 09:33:35 AM »

I could write our new immigration law. Imagine how fun it would be to have poets writing our laws.

Salute,

Tony V.

Oilcan

• View Profile
« Reply #4977 on: April 08, 2021, 11:01:18 AM »

The grandchildren,  too?   If you're unhappy with your medical treatment,  you report the doctor to the state medical board,  and/or initiate a malpractice action.   JFC,  how many times does this kind of slaughter have to happen before people realize that just handing anyone a gun does not further "a well regulated militia"??   

Fuck these piddly-ass small measures.   Ban guns,  except at hunting clubs.  The National Guard and the armed forces will still have them, which will satisfy the framers intent re well regulated militias.   If you live on a backroad in Wyoming and cougars are a threat,  maybe you can get a special permit to keep a hunting rifle.   
Punch, brothers, punch with care!
Punch in the presence of the passenjare!

Oilcan

• View Profile
« Reply #4978 on: April 08, 2021, 11:06:10 AM »

Good to see you, DeeJ!

Thanks for the toons,  DJ.

Thanks Barton!

Late to the party, but (a) thanks for the gallery of art, (b) cool stuff, and (c) good to see you!

C). Good to see you are still here.  Did I hear you have finally "cancelled" Elba's Plagiarist?
B). Glad you liked the cartoons and drawings!  Much appreciated!  Elbanistas are a tough audience.
A). See B

If you have a webpage where you post your drawings,  you can put an ownership stamp on them.  That would also allow you to post them here in the much-more-viewable form of a JPEG file.  Just pop their file address in the IMG brackets, badda bing.   Hope that helps. 
Punch, brothers, punch with care!
Punch in the presence of the passenjare!

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4979 on: April 08, 2021, 12:07:02 PM »

Yeah but what does Rasmussen say?

heh

And you still had to cheat.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -
Pages: 1 ... 330 331 [332] 333 334 ... 2687