Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 333 334 [335] 336 337 ... 2687

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 493303 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #5010 on: April 08, 2021, 11:31:43 PM »

The republican party is a sprawling moronic criminal enterprise that must be bled out and dismembered if the republic is to survive. Breaking the hearts and taking wealth and freedom from bully loser hypocrites already headed to hell behind the banner of their fake Jesus is a small price to pay. Don’t fret over the GOP. There is nothing there to salvage. It’s the political equivalent of the very worst superfund site.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #5011 on: April 08, 2021, 11:42:29 PM »

Joe Manchin, on CNN.

“We want fair, open, secured elections. And what — Georgia has done some things which I thought were just atrocious, okay? But [I’ve] also been a secretary of state and I’ve been a governor, and I know the 10th Amendment. I know my rights as far as states’ rights, and I don’t think there should be an overreaching, if you will, federal elections.”

Discuss

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5012 on: April 08, 2021, 11:47:18 PM »

Food for thought....nine months old

It’s good to have you back.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #5013 on: April 08, 2021, 11:50:50 PM »

It’s clear the federal government can set standards for elections by law that the states are bound to uphold. We should update those laws to prevent the continued corruption of elections by Red’s vampire cult.

It’s not Kid’s vampire cult. Kid is just a blood bag.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #5014 on: April 08, 2021, 11:51:30 PM »

For a long time, I've been thinking with more privately owned guns than people in the US, the genie was out of the bottle and enforcing gun safety almost impossible.  Must be millions if not 10's of millions of semi-automatic killing machines in private hands.

But isn't it possible to make it illegal to manufacture the bullets that fit current guns, and force gun manufacturers to produce guns that fire a slightly different caliber bullet.  I doubt the current Supreme Court would let that slide.  The legal argument in favor of my proposal would be that the Feds and states are determined to make sure that guns are part of a well-regulated regime of gun ownership.  Maybe to buy a new gun that fits the new bullets, you need to join a well-regulated state militia (see below).

But it would be something if the US could start over with no private gun ownership, and from then on ban all military-style rifles, large clips, make each gun owner register their firearm and pay a registration fee (as we do with cars), maybe require gun insurance, limit gun ownership to no more then 3 per person/5 per household, take gun safety and training courses, perhaps join a state militia, require state and national background checks maybe including interviewing the neighbors and workplace.  New guns could be restricted by fingerprint locks, all have markings to identify the bullets/casings shot form them, new bullets could be intentionally designed to be less lethal (lower velocity, etc).

In other words, with a little a little creativity the US could significantly reduce gun ownership by eliminating the ammunition for current weapons.  You don't have to confiscate guns, just render them obsolete.  Then begin again with a new regime of gun safety, allowing folks to have guns for self-protection in their homes, and hunting, and no more.

It's also a proposal so that if the 2nd A could be repealed, there's a method of disabling the current guns.

It's a radical idea, but the problem of gun violence and gun fetishism is so gross that creative and bold ideas are needed.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #5015 on: April 08, 2021, 11:54:41 PM »

For over half a century there were overarching federal regulations that prevented states from pursuing racist voting restrictions, and once they were removed many states immediately started implementing racist voter restrictions.

Yeah, no need for federal oversight of state elections, racism is a thing of the past  ...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 12:11:38 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #5016 on: April 09, 2021, 12:38:25 AM »

For over half a century there were overarching federal regulations that prevented states from pursuing racist voting restrictions, and once they were removed many states immediately started implementing racist voter restrictions.

Yeah, no need for federal oversight of state elections, racism is a thing of the past  ...
Say what?
Have you ever read the Constitution?
I think not .

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #5017 on: April 09, 2021, 12:39:52 AM »

For a long time, I've been thinking with more privately owned guns than people in the US, the genie was out of the bottle and enforcing gun safety almost impossible.  Must be millions if not 10's of millions of semi-automatic killing machines in private hands.

But isn't it possible to make it illegal to manufacture the bullets that fit current guns, and force gun manufacturers to produce guns that fire a slightly different caliber bullet.  I doubt the current Supreme Court would let that slide.  The legal argument in favor of my proposal would be that the Feds and states are determined to make sure that guns are part of a well-regulated regime of gun ownership.  Maybe to buy a new gun that fits the new bullets, you need to join a well-regulated state militia (see below).

But it would be something if the US could start over with no private gun ownership, and from then on ban all military-style rifles, large clips, make each gun owner register their firearm and pay a registration fee (as we do with cars), maybe require gun insurance, limit gun ownership to no more then 3 per person/5 per household, take gun safety and training courses, perhaps join a state militia, require state and national background checks maybe including interviewing the neighbors and workplace.  New guns could be restricted by fingerprint locks, all have markings to identify the bullets/casings shot form them, new bullets could be intentionally designed to be less lethal (lower velocity, etc).

In other words, with a little a little creativity the US could significantly reduce gun ownership by eliminating the ammunition for current weapons.  You don't have to confiscate guns, just render them obsolete.  Then begin again with a new regime of gun safety, allowing folks to have guns for self-protection in their homes, and hunting, and no more.

It's also a proposal so that if the 2nd A could be repealed, there's a method of disabling the current guns.

It's a radical idea, but the problem of gun violence and gun fetishism is so gross that creative and bold ideas are needed.
(Yawn)

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #5018 on: April 09, 2021, 01:07:27 AM »

So Red has devolved into Magic 8 Ball posting?

Really taking the Trump loss and failed insurrection hard I guess.
Knew there was no reason to unignore his posts.  Confirmed.  My bad.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5019 on: April 09, 2021, 01:08:11 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/07/politics/geoff-duncan-voter-fraud-cnntv/index.html

The Lt. Gov. of Georgia said that their new election laws were passed because of lies told by Trump and Giuliani.

Refreshing to hear this from a member of the GOP.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5020 on: April 09, 2021, 01:12:06 AM »

I disagree about our inability to legislate to change gun ownership of the so-called assault weapons, despite the number of guns per capita.

The vast majority of those gun owners are law-abiding citizens and if we pass a law requiring either buyback or swap out options, their guns will be dealt with as the law dictates.

Will that still leave a ton of them unaccounted for?! Sure, but time and attrition will take care of most of those.

Conversely, yes, legislating ammo out of existence for them is certainly feasible. So, too, would be simple volume limits or heavy taxation.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #5021 on: April 09, 2021, 02:18:10 AM »

Insurance & licensing requiring periodic renewal & treat unlicensed & uninsured (i.e. illegal) gun ownership or trafficking just the way they do in Singapore every time the law discovers it. Gun deaths will plummet in this country as a result. That’s the most direct and clearly constitutional step toward regulating well our improperly over armed population.

We should also ban any lobbying or advertising from gun manufacturers or sellers and tax both ends of the business and all middlemen 10% of their gross toward healthcare and violence prevention funding in addition to their usual obligations. 

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #5023 on: April 09, 2021, 03:35:06 AM »

http://youtu.be/oYpzXG-Io4Q

Some things are just too dirty.

Richard P. Feynman

barton

« Reply #5024 on: April 09, 2021, 09:40:18 AM »

Food for thought.

By 2040 70% of the USPopulation will live in 15 states.
That gives those 15 states 30 USSenators 
Meaning 70 senators will come from smaller states.

Discuss

We did.   Last year.   In this forum.  Disproportionate representation in the upper house of Congress.  One more way toward keeping minority rule.   
Pages: 1 ... 333 334 [335] 336 337 ... 2687