Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 334 335 [336] 337 338 ... 2706

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 497230 times)

barton

Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #5025 on: April 09, 2021, 09:48:21 AM »

In other words, with a little a little creativity the US could significantly reduce gun ownership by eliminating the ammunition for current weapons.....

This a very Chris Rock solution.   We'd have to kneecap the gun lobby to get any traction with that.   

https://youtu.be/OuX-nFmL0II

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #5026 on: April 09, 2021, 10:07:59 AM »

I disagree about our inability to legislate to change gun ownership of the so-called assault weapons, despite the number of guns per capita.

The vast majority of those gun owners are law-abiding citizens and if we pass a law requiring either buyback or swap out options, their guns will be dealt with as the law dictates.

Will that still leave a ton of them unaccounted for?! Sure, but time and attrition will take care of most of those.

Conversely, yes, legislating ammo out of existence for them is certainly feasible. So, too, would be simple volume limits or heavy taxation.

The solution for gun violence?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZrFVtmRXrw
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #5027 on: April 09, 2021, 10:10:37 AM »

In other words, with a little a little creativity the US could significantly reduce gun ownership by eliminating the ammunition for current weapons.....

This a very Chris Rock solution.   We'd have to kneecap the gun lobby to get any traction with that.   

https://youtu.be/OuX-nFmL0II

Great minds and shit...
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #5028 on: April 09, 2021, 11:12:57 AM »

Food for thought.

By 2040 70% of the USPopulation will live in 15 states.
That gives those 15 states 30 USSenators 
Meaning 70 senators will come from smaller states.

Discuss

We did.   Last year.   In this forum.  Disproportionate representation in the upper house of Congress.  One more way toward keeping minority rule.
Couldnt have been much of a discussion if you argued under that false premise.
The USA is a republic not a democracy, well thought out  by those  who wrote the constitution to prevent the bigger states from rolling over the smaller ones. The Legislature was split into two bodies: The House whose members are elected by districts and the Senate where each state gets two seats.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5029 on: April 09, 2021, 01:08:21 PM »

How will the outcome of the trial of Officer Chauvin change your life?

Discuss.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #5031 on: April 09, 2021, 02:43:37 PM »

President Joe Biden 

1 hour  · 

We need to ban assault weapons and high-capacity magazines in this country. There’s no reason somebody needs a weapon of war with 100 rounds in a magazine. None.

--------------------------

The founders of the USA wanted the people to have weapons of war, the 2nd Amendment is NOT about hunting. The people need to have the weapons necessary to overthrow a bad government if we ever have to.

Salute,

Tony V.

barton

« Reply #5032 on: April 09, 2021, 02:55:16 PM »

Weapons of war,  if you're a military unit,  include tanks,  artillery,  RPG,  missiles,  etc.   Civilians would be like boys with peashooters against that,  no matter how many peas their pod could hold.   Stop invoking the founders as if people in the 1700s had the slightest idea what 21st century society would be like.   

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #5033 on: April 09, 2021, 02:56:46 PM »

Christina Pascucci

1 hour  ·

LA City Councilman Mike Bonin is speaking out about his proposal to bring homeless camping sites to beach parking lots near Manhattan Beach, Pacific Palisades, and Marina del Rey. Some residents have launched a petition and recall effort, blaming Bonin for ruining Venice. Others say we should use whatever resources we have to help while the homelessness crisis persists.

Bonin says he knows these locations are not ideal, but after looking long and hard they’re the best options.

-----------------

Los Angeles needs to have hostels like in Rome, Italy, where people can take a nice hot shower, and where people can sleep in a nice comfortable bed for $15 per night, and there can be surrounding services such as a computer cafe, and a laundromat, and a convenience store, and a book store, etc.

For the mentally ill there can be Wellness Centers like in Orange which can get the homeless people into group homes with access to health services, etc. And there can be Mental Health Associations like the one in Santa Ana to help the mentally ill people.

For the drug addicts, and alcoholics, we can have camps where people can go for treatment, such as the camp in Acton, the camp in Acton saved a lot of people. People can do 90 day drug and alcohol treatment visits at the camps, and they can do the N/A program, etc.

There also needs to be help available for the foster youth. There is a lot that we can do to help the foster youth, we need for the youth to go to college instead of being homeless.

There is also Craig's List on the web, where people can rent rooms. People with access to computers can search for cheap places to live.

There is a lot that we can do to help to end the homelessness situation in Los Angeles.

Salute,

Tony V.

barton

« Reply #5034 on: April 09, 2021, 02:58:12 PM »

They could, through the Supreme Court, narrow the amendment’s scope, following the wisdom of former Chief Justice Warren E. Burger, who believed the amendment had “been the subject of one of the greatest pieces of fraud, I repeat the word ‘fraud,’ on the American public”—in that the Constitution had clearly meant to bestow the right to bear arms on states rather than on individuals...

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #5035 on: April 09, 2021, 03:12:44 PM »

President Joe Biden

1 hour  ·

We need to ban assault weapons and high-capacity magazines in this country. There’s no reason somebody needs a weapon of war with 100 rounds in a magazine. None.

--------------------------

The founders of the USA wanted the people to have weapons of war, the 2nd Amendment is NOT about hunting. The people need to have the weapons necessary to overthrow a bad government if we ever have to.

Salute,

Tony V.

In that case I want an A-10...

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #5036 on: April 09, 2021, 03:20:50 PM »

"What we know is this: racism is a serious public health threat that directly affects the well-being of millions of Americans. As a result, it affects the health of our entire nation. Racism is not just the discrimination against one group based on the color of their skin or their race or ethnicity, but the structural barriers that impact racial and ethnic groups differently to influence where a person lives, where they work, where their children play, and where they worship and gather in community. These social determinants of health have life-long negative effects on the mental and physical health of individuals in communities of color."

https://www.npr.org/2021/04/08/985524494/cdc-director-declares-racism-a-serious-public-health-threat

Lyndon Johnson

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #5037 on: April 09, 2021, 03:54:16 PM »

I am sick of being poor and powerless.

I could solve the whole homelessness problem right now, I could put a whole plan into action that would help the homeless, and it would help the foster children, and it would help the addicts and alcoholics. They sent plane full of money to Iran, give me a plane full of money and watch what happens. I would help the poor, and the homeless, and the mentally ill, and the foster children, I would help a lot of people.

Watch after I have money and see what I do. I will make my movie, and open a club, and buy a vineyard and winery, and when my cup is over-flowing with money then watch what happens.

I have been trying to help people with my computer, by sending them ideas. But, if I had money I could make stuff happen.
If Trump was poor he never would have had a chance at doing anything, no one would have listened to him if he was poor.

Salute,

Tony V.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #5039 on: April 09, 2021, 05:06:06 PM »

Weapons of war,  if you're a military unit,  include tanks,  artillery,  RPG,  missiles,  etc.   Civilians would be like boys with peashooters against that,  no matter how many peas their pod could hold.   Stop invoking the founders as if people in the 1700s had the slightest idea what 21st century society would be like.
Pretty weak construction of a straw man.
I’m sure you can do better. 
Pages: 1 ... 334 335 [336] 337 338 ... 2706