Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 340 341 [342] 343 344 ... 2687

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 493326 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #5116 on: April 11, 2021, 05:31:45 PM »

OK, Boogie.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #5117 on: April 11, 2021, 05:32:54 PM »

I know how to speed up and streamline the vaccination process, Moderna and the others can put the vaccine directly into syringes so that the people who are administering the vaccine do not have to take the time to get the vaccine out of a vial, they can skip the vials and they can put the vaccine directly into a specially designed syringe which can be packed, stored, distributed, and administered. They can cut out the whole step of putting the vaccine into vials, and they can save time for the people who are administering the shots.

I could design the new syringes, or the design school in Pasadena could design them, for Moderna, etc, and it can save time and money, and most importantly, it could save lives.

Salute,

Tony V.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 06:08:25 PM by FlyingVProd »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5118 on: April 11, 2021, 05:36:12 PM »

I recently learned the term "deadnaming. "  Which means referring to a trans person by their former  (i. e. birth name).  So,  yes,  there are a few people out there who will righteously shit themselves if I mention Bruce Jenner.   And yes,  there are whole segments of society who now comb over every single thing a person says in their quest for the passive-aggressive thrill of taking offense when none was intended.   Bruce Jenner Bruce Jenner Bruce Jenner.   Never mind that he was Bruce Jenner for what,  58.years, and entertained millions of people in decathlons and such with his robustly male physique* and masculine identity.   No one must use his deadname as a shorthand for Jenner back when she was a guy,  doing guy stuff in a big splashy way.   My point is the most of the human race couldn't give one tiny shit about this deadnaming thing,  and can only be whipped into righteous political correctness by constantly be subjected to media and social media Offense Takings.

And,  as a side note,  what if we applied this "erase a person's past" ethos to everything?   
He ran a concentration camp?   Nope,  can't refer to his name back then,  he was another person then,  etc.   No deadnaming!   He's clearly not a Nazi anymore!   Model citizen!   

* not minor surgery,  IOW

Hey, Barton, "most of the human race couldn't give one tiny shit about" slavery at one point. Or women's rights.

So fucking what?!

Most of us don't "take "offense when none was intended." But with your red outburst, you sure seem to have intended offense.

Your struggles with the concept of deadnames is reminiscent of Uno's fight with Larry and Bambu's difficulties with women and women's rights.

Transkids are 4-10 times more likely to be suicidal when the people around them insist on deadnaming them and misgendering them. Is Caitlyn Jenner going to be affected by your choices?! Seems unlikely.

But to take your inclination to extend things the discussion, does that mean you think it's fine to use "nigger" to refer to Blacks or "kike" to refer to Jews just because you don't think any of them are near you??

It sure sounds like those are your implications.

Wow.   None of those things were implied.

If you read my post,  you'll maybe discern that I wasn't criticizing trans people,  but rather the notion that we can't reference someone's prior identity.   Going from male to female is a unique sort of transformation.   Pretending it didn't happen doesn't honor that bold transformation.   And suggesting that using a prior name to refer to that person WHEN THEY DID HAVE THAT NAME is demeaning is just false.   Caitlyn didn't win a male decathlon.   Bruce did.   

Suggesting that calling him Bruce when he was Bruce is the same as a slur like kike or nigger is a false equivalence.   Taking one aspect of correctness which is valid,  like avoiding ethnic slurs,  and using that to enforce any and all restrictions on naming strikes me as a sort of rigid dogma.   No one's going to bloody kill themselves because I noted that Bruce won a decathlon.   Obviously,  I meet a trans person,  I ask them how they want to be called, and how I should reference their past identity if it's something relevant to the conversation. 

My larger point,  about needless taking of offense, clearly went unnoticed.   Oh well.

Your "larger point" was acknowledged (Most of us don't "take "offense when none was intended."), Barton, but you embedded it in a piece in which you made a gratuitous use of her deadname.

It served NO purpose that furthered your argument.

And you are mistaken. If you intentionally use somebody's deadname, as opposed to accidentally using it then it is deliberately offensive. YOU know better, but are declaring you don't care.

You wrote what you wrote. consciously and knowledgeably. Nobody else is responsible for it.

Caitlyn won those awards before she transitioned. I'm sorry that that is so hard for you to grasp, Barton, but it is a lot simpler than you are making it out to be.

Back when Caitlyn came out, as the link below suggests, keeping her deadname out of an article might have served to be confusing, but I doubt that's much of an issue any more.

"And suggesting that using a prior name to refer to that person WHEN THEY DID HAVE THAT NAME is demeaning is just false."

Not your call to make. You can decide if YOU are offended by something we say about YOU. You don't have that right for another. And, again, done out of ignorance, it is an act of ignorance. Done by you? It is deliberately offensive, to fly in the face of their preference.

Is that really so difficult to grasp?

https://www.vox.com/2015/6/2/8706745/transgender-issues-mistakes
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 05:46:12 PM by josh »
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5119 on: April 11, 2021, 05:39:15 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/10/politics/infrastructure-politics-ohio-bridge/index.html

The I-75 bridge may help to clarify some of the infrastructure issues that Joe Biden is facing.

But here is the jobs plan:
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2021/03/31/fact-sheet-the-american-jobs-plan/

I'd be happy to discuss this. Go ahead, Kid.

You want me to comment on a bridge?

I'll pass.

Yeah, you are a mealy-mouthed asshole.

That was about what I expected. Ignore the second link because otherwise you would have to say something.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5120 on: April 11, 2021, 05:56:53 PM »

OK, Boogie.

Fuck yourself, Bubbles in your treasonous little mouth.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #5121 on: April 11, 2021, 06:01:27 PM »

Cassius or Mohammed?

Lew or Kareem?

Bruce or Caitlyn?
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #5122 on: April 11, 2021, 06:17:09 PM »

http://www.politico.com/news/2021/04/11/trump-mcconnell-dumb-son-of-a-bitch-rnc-480748

This is why republicans can’t stop Joe from marching left and carrying the United States into the 21st century.

May republicans keep knifing each other until they’ve all bled out.

Richard P. Feynman

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #5123 on: April 11, 2021, 06:47:23 PM »

Cassius or Mohammed?

Lew or Kareem?

Bruce or Caitlyn?

Uno or Utley or Hammy?

Bart the intolerably woke are intolerably self-righteous and not very forgiving of others transgressions to their sense of pc.

You better start deleting your posts from years ago before the woke police start digging.. 

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5124 on: April 11, 2021, 06:49:43 PM »

Cassius or Mohammed?

Lew or Kareem?

Bruce or Caitlyn?

Mohammed, Kareem, and Caitlyn.

Miss Smith or Mrs. Jones? Mrs. Jones, if she says so. Miss Smith if she says so. Ms. Smith or Ms. Jones, if she says so. Mx. Smith or Mx. Jones, if they say so. And they, if they prefer.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5125 on: April 11, 2021, 06:51:54 PM »

Cassius or Mohammed?

Lew or Kareem?

Bruce or Caitlyn?

Uno or Utley or Hammy?

Bart the intolerably woke are intolerably self-righteous and not very forgiving of others transgressions to their sense of pc.

You better start deleting your posts from years ago before the woke police start digging..

Piggy. And a difference between when one is trying to hide prior identity vs. declaration of "This is my name."

Nobody gives a fuck about the posts from years past, not to mention that this site no longer has those available to be edited.

But I think you have the "intolerant" on the wrong foot, Banks. It is the intolerance of change that is at work here.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #5126 on: April 11, 2021, 07:05:13 PM »

Cassius or Mohammed?

Lew or Kareem?

Bruce or Caitlyn?

Uno or Utley or Hammy?

Piggy. And a difference between when one is trying to hide prior identity vs. declaration of "This is my name."

Nobody gives a fuck about the posts from years past, not to mention that this site no longer has those available to be edited.

But I think you have the "intolerant" on the wrong foot, Banks. It is the intolerance of change that is at work here.

There's a difference to fighting change and questioning whether the change makes sense.

Bart meant no harm and you found some.

Good for you Josh!

And tell that editor to be of Teen Vogue who got canned because of her harmless posts made about 10 years ago when she was a 17 YO kid, that posts made when she was a kid, can't be held against you.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5127 on: April 11, 2021, 07:27:38 PM »

Cassius or Mohammed?

Lew or Kareem?

Bruce or Caitlyn?

Uno or Utley or Hammy?

There's a difference to fighting change and questioning whether the change makes sense.

Bart meant no harm and you found some.

Good for you Josh!

And tell that editor to be of Teen Vogue who got canned because of her harmless posts made about 10 years ago when she was a 17 YO kid, that posts made when she was a kid, can't be held against you.

It's not that no posts anywhere have no impact.

It's that nobody here cares about posts here years past such that our members ought to be trying to fix them.

And, again, Barton deliberately used repeating Jenner's deadname multiple times for the purpose of getting a reaction and he got one.

You can defend him till the cows come home, Banks, but there was no other utility to its use there, if even that constitutes utility.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #5128 on: April 11, 2021, 07:37:24 PM »

I try to stay out of these conversations but I try to call people what they prefer to be called.  At the same time I'm not sure that courts are the best place to resolve these kinds of issues.

I am a little confused about the statistic stating that "Transkids are 4-10 times more likely to be suicidal when the people around them insist on deadnaming them and misgendering them."  While I certainly can't dispute the notion that transkids are more likely to commit suicide (though the range of probability suggests that there might be an issue with the studys) I imagine that transkids' likelihood to be suicidal is a far more complex matter than mere "deadnaming them and misgendering them."
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5129 on: April 11, 2021, 07:44:20 PM »

Cassius or Mohammed?

Lew or Kareem?

Bruce or Caitlyn?

Uno or Utley or Hammy?

I only come back because you need me. You want me on this forum! You need me on this forum!

In an amusing twist, I was forced into moniker change by virtue of people's intolerance...the same people who preach tolerance, but do not practice it.

Too funny.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.
Pages: 1 ... 340 341 [342] 343 344 ... 2687